F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2015 BMW 328i Xdrive Auto Start/stop help!
proTUNING Freaks

06-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Johndock23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90 6MT

2015 BMW 328i Xdrive Auto Start/stop help!

Hey guys,

My friend has a 2015 328i Xdrive with the auto start/stop feature. She parked her car yesterday when the engine shut off. However, she forgot to actually turn the car off. She left the car and about 11 hours later went back to the car and saw it was still running! Is there a way to have the car shut up by itself if this happens? Maybe through Coding?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

ASS only works when the car is in 'Drive', so if she either put it in 'Park' herself or did so by turning off the engine there's no way ASS would start the car again. Also, if the engine is turned off, but the power left on, when the car is locked the power is shut down. The most likely explanation is that she put it in park but did not turn the engine off. Because of the screwy BMW shifter function I trained myself early on not to put it in 'Park' manually, but to turn the engine off instead.
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      06-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Johndock23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
ASS only works when the car is in 'Drive', so if she either put it in 'Park' herself or did so by turning off the engine there's no way ASS would start the car again. Also, if the engine is turned off, but the power left on, when the car is locked the power is shut down. The most likely explanation is that she put it in park but did not turn the engine off. Because of the screwy BMW shifter function I trained myself early on not to put it in 'Park' manually, but to turn the engine off instead.
Oh ok, well I'm guessing she parked and was still in drive when the engine shut off using ASS and then she put it in park and left without shutting of the ignition. I just figured if that happened, there should be an auto shut up after a certain amount of time, it ran for 11 hours! So you turn off the engine which the car is still in D 'Drive'?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

She could disable ASS so won't get confused whether the car is off or not. Or always make sure the dash is off when she exits by hitting the On/Off twice

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      06-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Yup. If the ASS shuts the car off, and then you put the car in P and open the door, you actually have to press the start button to restart the car; it won't restart by putting it in drive.

OP's "friend" is just another clueless human that is so fixated on the next task, that she doesn't remember to turn the car off when she gets out. There are stories on the internet (not just for BMWs), and class action lawsuits have resulted. Just the dumbing down of society.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
Johndock23
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Yup. If the ASS shuts the car off, and then you put the car in P and open the door, you actually have to press the start button to restart the car; it won't restart by putting it in drive.

OP's "friend" is just another clueless human that is so fixated on the next task, that she doesn't remember to turn the car off when she gets out. There are stories on the internet (not just for BMWs), and class action lawsuits have resulted. Just the dumbing down of society.
Yeah, that pretty much describes her in a nutshell (smart, pretty, blonde managing a new start-up company and focused on the next task for work and thinks less about things around her i.e. her car). I just wanted to post on here and see if there was a code to turn the car off.

When you shut the ASS off, does it default to on when you turn the car back on? Can you change that setting?
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      06-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndock23 View Post
Yeah, that pretty much describes her in a nutshell (smart, pretty, blonde managing a new start-up company and focused on the next task for work and thinks less about things around her i.e. her car). I just wanted to post on here and see if there was a code to turn the car off.

When you shut the ASS off, does it default to on when you turn the car back on? Can you change that setting?
I have a '14, which remembers the last setting for the ASS on/off--so hers should work the same way. So if she deactivates ASS, when she gets out of the car without shutting down, she *should* hear the engine running...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
ChubbyWilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I have a '14, which remembers the last setting for the ASS on/off--so hers should work the same way. So if she deactivates ASS, when she gets out of the car without shutting down, she *should* hear the engine running...
I had to code mine to remember the last setting.

@OP I'd really have to see it for myself to help. Can you post of a photo of your friend's ASS in action.
      06-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndock23 View Post
So you turn off the engine which the car is still in D 'Drive'?
I do. Putting it in Park is a duplication of efforts, since when you turn the engine off the car will go into park by itself. I got into that habit after the first ten or so times that I pushed the shift lever forward to put it in park, as you do with perhaps 95% of the cars on the planet, and it went into reverse instead. I assume that actor Anton Yelchin, who died after being run over by his own Jeep, was the victim of a similar engineering 'improvement'.
Appreciate 0