F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Automatic Transmission Gear Selector Switch Coded? Benefits?
Studio RSR

06-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
brettyboy56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13' 328i M-Sport

Sport Automatic Transmission Gear Selector Switch Coded? Benefits?

So I orded my BMW without 2TB and im kind of bummed that i did that. When i asked my CA "Is the only difference the paddles" he said "Yeah" so I decided to forego the option.

Now after doing my research i found that people claim its way better I feel like its something i definitely want to have.

I also did a bunch of searches and found that people retrofit the gear selector lever and code the 2TB option. Now i believe this will give you all the functions of the sport shifter by questions are:

1) Can someone confirm that by simply coding it I can get"

No automatic upshift in manual mode when DSC is off, DTC on, or sport+ selected.

Automatic kickdown is deactivated when DSC is off, DTC is on, or sport+ is selected - When you stomp on the gas peddle it will automatically downshift for more power, this does not happen in sport manual mode, the driver has complete control like driving a manual transmission.

2) That the gear selector lever retrofit will get me "Super Fast Shifting"?

3) Will I get "Super Fast Shifting" by just the coding or do I need both?

4) Am i sh*t out of luck and wont get either, or wont just get the "Super Fast Shifting"?
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
From digging around realoem.com, it looks like the Sport Auto equipped vehicles may have additional transmission cooling.
      06-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
brettyboy56
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Glenn. Anyone know about the selector level and software / coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettyboy56 View Post
So I orded my BMW without 2TB and im kind of bummed that i did that. When i asked my CA "Is the only difference the paddles" he said "Yeah" so I decided to forego the option.

Now after doing my research i found that people claim its way better I feel like its something i definitely want to have.

I also did a bunch of searches and found that people retrofit the gear selector lever and code the 2TB option. Now i believe this will give you all the functions of the sport shifter by questions are:

No automatic upshift in manual mode when DSC is off, DTC on, or sport+ selected.

Automatic kickdown is deactivated when DSC is off, DTC is on, or sport+ is selected - When you stomp on the gas peddle it will automatically downshift for more power, this does not happen in sport manual mode, the driver has complete control like driving a manual transmission.

4) Am i sh*t out of luck and wont get either, or wont just get the "Super Fast Shifting"?
If your major concern is that the "sport AT" is super fast shifting compared to the non sport AT, then don't worry about it at all.
If you like how your AT works, then you're good to go.

Since you don't care to have the paddles, then you're not really missing out on a lot of performance difference.
The sport AT is said to be "quicker", but I think that's more about the transmissions response in certain situations and conditions.

It's not like the 0-60 time is greatly increased with sport AT, if at all.
I haven't read any pro reviewers testing this idea. Also, the manufacturer, ZF, doesn't list any actual time differences between each version.
It would be cool if there were side by side accel test with identical F30's with the only difference being standard AT vs sport AT.

If there was any actual significant time difference in acceleration, then BMW would list it in the specs, and ZF would show actual test data.
Yet neither exits. BMW specs list a 0-60 for the AT, with no mention if that is with or without the sport AT.
That in itself tells us something. If there really is a significant or even slightly faster accel with sport AT, then I'd like to see it in writing with specs.

In the test drives I did before getting my Msport, I didn't get any sensation that the sport AT provided faster accel times.
It seems to be more programming related where the sport auto-trans may respond to throttle and braking input a bit quicker or more intuitively.
But then you can put the standard AT into "sport" mode to get better response as well.

There just isn't enough factual data demonstrating that the sport AT is significantly faster than the non sport.
I think that BMW is simply using the paddles and the word "sport" to justify charging $500 more for what amounts to adding paddles, and a differently styled gear selector with a nicer leather boot compared to the non sport AT.

I got the option on my Msport because I wanted to have the paddles. I figured since I was going to try an AT this time I would then want to have the paddles to get the full experience of this great new trans tech.
I've since discovered that I rarely use the paddles as it's not what I'm used to coming from mainly MT equipped cars. For me I intuitively use and want to use the lever instead of the paddles, but that's just me.
I have to actually tell myself to use the paddles but it's not instinctive to me, again, because I've been driving MT for so long.
For AT drivers they may be using the paddles much more so for manual mode.

There are threads on the sport AT vs non sport. Search them out and read them, and keep in mind to not exaggerate the actual claims being made.
I say that only because you wrote "super fast shifting" a number of times, as if that's the factual conclusion on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

How long ago did you order the car? If it's still in 111 status you can addmthatmoption if you want. I got it on mine mainly for the shifters.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:

If your major concern is that the "sport AT" is super fast shifting compared to the non sport AT, then don't worry about it at all.
If you like how your AT works, then you're good to go.

Since you don't care to have the paddles, then you're not really missing out on a lot of performance difference.
The sport AT is said to be "quicker", but I think that's more about the transmissions response in certain situations and conditions.

It's not like the 0-60 time is greatly increased with sport AT, if at all.
I haven't read any pro reviewers testing this idea. Also, the manufacturer, ZF, doesn't list any actual time differences between each version.
It would be cool if there were side by side accel test with identical F30's with the only difference being standard AT vs sport AT.

If there was any actual significant time difference in acceleration, then BMW would list it in the specs, and ZF would show actual test data.
Yet neither exits. BMW specs list a 0-60 for the AT, with no mention if that is with or without the sport AT.
That in itself tells us something. If there really is a significant or even slightly faster accel with sport AT, then I'd like to see it in writing with specs.

In the test drives I did before getting my Msport, I didn't get any sensation that the sport AT provided faster accel times.
It seems to be more programming related where the sport auto-trans may respond to throttle and braking input a bit quicker or more intuitively.
But then you can put the standard AT into "sport" mode to get better response as well.

There just isn't enough factual data demonstrating that the sport AT is significantly faster than the non sport.
I think that BMW is simply using the paddles and the word "sport" to justify charging $500 more for what amounts to adding paddles, and a differently styled gear selector with a nicer leather boot compared to the non sport AT.

I got the option on my Msport because I wanted to have the paddles. I figured since I was going to try an AT this time I would then want to have the paddles to get the full experience of this great new trans tech.
I've since discovered that I rarely use the paddles as it's not what I'm used to coming from mainly MT equipped cars. For me I intuitively use and want to use the lever instead of the paddles, but that's just me.
I have to actually tell myself to use the paddles but it's not instinctive to me, again, because I've been driving MT for so long.
For AT drivers they may be using the paddles much more so for manual mode.

There are threads on the sport AT vs non sport. Search them out and read them, and keep in mind to not exaggerate the actual claims being made.
I say that only because you wrote "super fast shifting" a number of times, as if that's the factual conclusion on this matter.
I believe the 8AT shifter is worth $500 alone. I have a 335 MSport with 8AT and I was given a 335 base loaner a few weeks ago. I am by no means an expert but I felt a difference in the car. The 8AT was a little quicker off the line and the shifts seemed smoother. Maybe it was the loaner or maybe I was just PO'd that I wasn't driving my car...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

At the end of the day it's only $500. I don't think $500 is worth this much hard drive space on the bimmerpost servers. Lol. I got it because BMW says its faster. The burden of proof is unfortunately in the hands of the nays. Good luck with that.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

My dealer just told me that to get the sport auto transmission, you need to have ordered the sport or M Sport lines. Can anyone confirm this? On the options sheets I have seen, everything that requires a specific line has an astrick next to it, but the sport auto with paddle shifters doesn't have one.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Quakered
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: was BMW 328 Tourer F31

If it was faster/better/more economical/made better coffee the sales material would shout about it to encourage you to part with your hard earnt money. It does not.

for $500 you get a bit more decoration around the steering wheel. If that floats your boat then go ahead but don't delude your self that you will be better at changing the gears than the computer.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
If it was faster/better/more economical/made better coffee the sales material would shout about it to encourage you to part with your hard earnt money. It does not.

for $500 you get a bit more decoration around the steering wheel. If that floats your boat then go ahead but don't delude your self that you will be better at changing the gears than the computer.
The marketing materials already state the sport AT is faster. Its your word against the seasoned engineers at BMW. I will take the latter all day long.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
My dealer just told me that to get the sport auto transmission, you need to have ordered the sport or M Sport lines. Can anyone confirm this? On the options sheets I have seen, everything that requires a specific line has an astrick next to it, but the sport auto with paddle shifters doesn't have one.
Nope, the dealer is BSing you. The Sport AT is a stand alone option~
      06-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Nope, the dealer is BSing you. The Sport AT is a stand alone option~
Sorry but you're dead wrong. Show me a configured F30 non-sport line with the sport AT. It requires either sport or m-sport according to the online configurator. If the configurator is wrong then you win!
      06-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
brettyboy56
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks

Thanks Guys my CA swears they are the same minus aesthetics. He claims to be a car guy and drives these things every day so Ill take his work for it. He says the super fast shifts are due to using the paddle shifters as opposed to the lever (which thus cuts down your shift time).

Based on all accounts i can code the manual shift functions do downshift, upshift so ill stick with my purchase and just loaded on a bunch of M-Performance stuff.

Car is on VESSEL TIGER right now. Getting excited!

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He says the super fast shifts are due to using the paddle shifters as opposed to the lever (which thus cuts down your shift time).
He might be a nice guy, but I'm sorry to say he has no idea what he's talking about.

I think one of the mandates CA's have is to *always* have an answer. These cars are pretty friggen complex when you consider the multitude of options/features and I think it's a little unfair to expect a CA (where turnover rates are pretty high) to know everything. My guess is that salesman who present too much information or get geeky about things probably don't sell as many cars, general customer doesn't really care about these things and it puts them off when CA tries to be a know it all. I would be a horrible salesman (not cause I know it all but pretend to LOL)
      06-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
brettyboy56
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
Im guessing you are buying in Hawaii (same place where im located). You buying on Oahu? I think the SAT can be optioned on all lines check out bmwhawaii.com and look at their online inventory. If it can be optioned on all lines you will probably see some non-sport/m-sport with SAT. Seems to be a popular option from the dealer side.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #16
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Sorry but you're dead wrong. Show me a configured F30 non-sport line with the sport AT. It requires either sport or m-sport according to the online configurator. If the configurator is wrong then you win!
Ahh ok, It really depends on the MY then
      06-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im guessing you are buying in Hawaii (same place where im located). You buying on Oahu? I think the SAT can be optioned on all lines check out bmwhawaii.com and look at their online inventory. If it can be optioned on all lines you will probably see some non-sport/m-sport with SAT. Seems to be a popular option from the dealer side.
You mind providing a link to a specific one? I love to be proven wrong
      06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Guys my CA swears they are the same minus aesthetics. He claims to be a car guy and drives these things every day so Ill take his work for it. He says the super fast shifts are due to using the paddle shifters as opposed to the lever (which thus cuts down your shift time).

Based on all accounts i can code the manual shift functions do downshift, upshift so ill stick with my purchase and just loaded on a bunch of M-Performance stuff.

Unfortunately you were misled, here is the literature:

"8 speed auto trans with adaptive transmission control provides extremely fast synchronized shifting in either the Automatic shift mode or by the race inspired steering wheel mounted paddle shifters"

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
brettyboy56
Enlisted Member
Rep

Actually i think DRob is correct. I dont see any non-sport or m-sport with SAT. Configurator fail!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually i think DRob is correct. I dont see any non-sport or m-sport with SAT. Configurator fail!
The configurator works...it won't let you option the sport AT unless you chose sport/m-sport. If you do, it forces you to switch...
      06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
Bimmerfestool
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

Quite honestly I would not trust a single word from a dealer. Now that the car can't be changed he has all the interest in the world in making you stick to what you ordered or he will have issues with an extra car sitting on his lot.

I've learned from experience that contractors... dealers... etc... are VERY good at talking their way out of an issue. You would think with this high a level of BSing they should be politicians. My remodel contractor especially had a very slick tongue and very creative and believable excuses for everything and he could make things up on the spot and still sound credible.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Might be moot...it feels like the PPK alters the shifting speed and shift points anyhow, so it CAN be overridden. It seems.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0