F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > joewalton's Immodest Build Thread - 2015 M428i Gran Coupé - Greatest 4-Door BMW Ever
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

01-07-2015, 05:43 AM   #45
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I love how you refer to this as a M428i...LOL...
Hey, BMW is doing it with the M235i so my 428i which is similarly spec'd deserves the same nomenclature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Keep the M-badges. Very nice car and I love the Ash Gray trim!
Thanks! Was a leap of faith to get Ash Grain as there were no photos online and no cars in stock with the option. It looks fantastic because it's practically black, really blends in with the black dash and doesn't add a 4th color to an already busy interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
So to those that want to remove the M badges from the sides, should he also remove the M badges from the wheels, steering wheel, dead pedal, etc?!
It's called an M Sport for a reason! No one is trying to pose as a 100% M car for crying out loud!

To the OP, keep up the good work!
Thanks Xena! Wish more people thought like you do. The M-Sport gets too little respect as the great car it is. People either say "It's not an M4" or "It's a Sport line with a body kit". I think the M-Sport is the best configuration BMW makes for those of us who are never going to track our cars and don't need 500 horses to make trips to Home Depot.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #46
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Joe they do it on the 235 because it has all the high performance M Performance optioned parts like the M performance power kit that boost the hp from 300 to 320, M Performance brakes, M-performance exhaust and the M-performance suspension. Your car has none of that. It has the same N20 engine as the base model, same brakes as the base model and even the same exhaust as the base model. Your suspension is the 704 which is from the Sport line series. So you cannot compare the 428 M-sport to the M235 because there are actual performance parts added unlike on the 428 or even the 328 M Sport model for that matter.

No gripe about the stickers or nothing. It's your car. Just amuses me as I have said to you before here and on the other Bimmer site.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #47
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

Quote:
Joe they do it on the 235 because it has all the high performance M Performance optioned parts like the M performance power kit that boost the hp from 300 to 320, M Performance brakes, M-performance exhaust and the M-performance suspension. Your car has none of that. It has the same N20 engine as the base model, same brakes as the base model and even the same exhaust as the base model. Your suspension is the 704 which is from the Sport line series. So you cannot compare the 428 M-sport to the M235 because there are actual performance parts added unlike on the 428 or even the 328 M Sport model for that matter.

No gripe about the stickers or nothing. It's your car. Just amuses me as I have said to you before here and on the other Bimmer site.
The M235 is no more an ///M car, even with the M Performance add ons; it's basically a well optioned 235 as standard.
Putting an M badge on a M sport BMW is no problem what so ever nor posing as an ///M car; now if he removed the 428i badge and replaced it with an M4 badge that would be posing, even though anyone in the know would recognize that there is currently not a M4 GranCoupe.
The ultimate trump card is that BMW places the M badge in the exact location as Joe did in most other markets outside the US on his exact car, so lay off! Unless you're also calling BMW itself a poser?!! LOL
      01-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #48
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:

All that stuff might mean something on the race track, and if that's where a very light and very small 2 Series goes most of the time that's great, no argument there. Put all the M3's and M4's in that category too. Call them the "performance tracking car" class.

But for the rest of us, for the guy just having some spirited fun on his way to work through traffic without the ability to hit a curve at 120 MPH or go from 0-60 in 4 seconds even if he wanted to, the configuration of my car is at the top of the heap in the "performance commuter car" class.

Point being, this M infatuation just has to stop. M3's and M4's and M235i's are meant to be tracked by people who belong to track associations. 99% of the BMW buying populous never go to the track, they don't buy these beastly cars, we're daily commuters. In that realworld context, my M428i is indeed worthy of the name and the badge.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #49
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The ultimate trump card is that BMW places the M badge in the exact location as Joe did in most other markets outside the US on his exact car, so lay off! Unless you're also calling BMW itself a poser?!! LOL
Exactly.

BMW celebrates the M-Sport with a fender badge, so too will I.

Ever notice that the people who covet and protect the "M" as something precious and holy are non-M owners? After a decade in BMW discussion forums I've never seen a single M3 owner drop into one of these talks and say "Hey! You're pretending you're driving MY car! You're a POSEUR!"

It's crazy how the only people who care about the M cars posture in life are the ones who don't own them. And that type of coveting and overprotection is a form of poseurism in and of itself if you think about it. "I don't own an M3 but I will defend it to the death!" Wha?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #50
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Hey Joe! Love your car and keep doing whatever makes you happy! Thats part of the fun of modding our cars to make it the way we like it.

I for one do not care what people do with their cars; remove badges, add badges, convert to dual exhausts, add carbon fiber, etc To each their own. I know what car I have and am content in that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #51
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
The M235 is no more an ///M car, even with the M Performance add ons; it's basically a well optioned 235 as standard.
Putting an M badge on a M sport BMW is no problem what so ever nor posing as an ///M car; now if he removed the 428i badge and replaced it with an M4 badge that would be posing, even though anyone in the know would recognize that there is currently not a M4 GranCoupe.

You are both completely missing the point...I am not mocking him putting M badges on his car. I even said stick all the badges he wants on there. Read my response again, it has nothing to do with stickers. I said it is amusing that he CALLS his car a "M428" when there is no such thing or model in the 4 series line. It is a 428 M Sport Gran Coupe, not a M428. Joe justified it by bringing up the M235 and as I pointed out there are reasons why BMW calls it a M235 as I detailed above. He would have an argument if he had a 435 with all the M performance parts to call it a M435 which would be equal to the M235.

Last edited by Dippydo; 01-07-2015 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2015, 11:59 AM   #52
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'll stick with this: If you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.
      01-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #53
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Hey Joe! Love your car and keep doing whatever makes you happy! Thats part of the fun of modding our cars to make it the way we like it.

I for one do not care what people do with their cars; remove badges, add badges, convert to dual exhausts, add carbon fiber, etc To each their own. I know what car I have and am content in that.
Thanks! I adore my ///M428iLTSDHPGC!

That's an M-Sport 4 Series with the 28i engine that's luxurious, techy, sporty, has the Dynamic Handling Package, and is a Gran Coupe.

Quote:
You are both completely missing the point...I am not mocking him putting M badges on his car. I even said stick all the badges he wants on there. Read my response again, it has nothing to do with stickers. I said it is amusing that he CALLS his car a "M428" when there is no such thing or model in the 4 series line. It is a 428 M Sport Gran Coupe, not a M428. Joe justified it by bringing up the M235 and as I pointed out there are reasons why BMW calls it a M235 as I detailed above. He would have an argument if he had a 435 with all the M performance parts to call it a M435 which would be equal to the M235.
....oops.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #54
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
I'll stick with this: If you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.
Nothing I said was mean. It was all factual. There is no M428 (which he has admitted before on another forum but insist if there was one his car would be that) and the reason why the M235 is the M235 is outlined above which is why his car cannot be considered the same level as the M235. Joe or "BJ" as he goes by on the other forum is a big boy. He knows I have already said his car is nice which it is and not knocking him for his stickers or other choices. Again re-read my comments and if pointing out facts is mean or not being "nice", then I am not the problem. LOL...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #55
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
It's arguments like these that make me not want to be a part of forums. Who the hell cares what he calls his car? I'm baffled as to why this affects other people's lives

Great looking car OP
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #56
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
You just got "BJ'ed", that's all.

You will learn soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #57
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nothing I said was mean. It was all factual. There is no M428 (which he has admitted before on another forum but insist if there was one his car would be that) and the reason why the M235 is the M235 is outlined above which is why his car cannot be considered the same level as the M235. Joe or "BJ" as he goes by on the other forum is a big boy. He knows I have already said his car is nice which it is and not knocking him for his stickers or other choices. Again re-read my comments and if pointing out facts is mean or not being "nice", then I am not the problem. LOL...
Ya but it wasn't nice, so what's the point of posting in the thread at all? Is it that offensive to you about how he refers to his car? Are you the freakin BMW police?
      01-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #58
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
I will revert back to my original post before you all jumped on me.

"I love how you refer to this as a M428i...LOL..."

He then tried to justify this saying its the same as a m235 to where I refuted with facts pointing out true differences. Nothing wrong with that discussion because there are real differences.

You guys are the ones blowing this out of proportion over a simple discussion. All of my posts have been cordial. I never said he is a poser or a douche or any other name. Hell I never said anything bad about whole idea. Again if you think that is rude or mean, well that is quite amusing. This is a public forum and is meant to have discussions Xena.

Last edited by Dippydo; 01-09-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #59
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You just got "BJ'ed", that's all.

You will learn soon.
Nah known him for over a year now. BJ does this stuff all the time as you know on the other Bimmer forum. Entertaining to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #60
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

justifying that you have an msport by going out of your way to call your car an m428, m335, m650 is just ridiculous. I understand you want the badges because its offered in europe, but adding an extra letter to your model number makes you seem like you are trying to be an elitist and at the same time, it makes your look like a poser to those in the know such as the members of this forum.
      01-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #61
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

lmao - I have a 428 GC sport as a loaner car while my F30 is in for routine service. A good car, but if I ever called it the "Greatest 4-door BMW ever", I'd want somebody to smack me upside the head and call the doctor to get me checked out.
      01-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #62
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
justifying that you have an msport by going out of your way to call your car an m428, m335, m650 is just ridiculous. I understand you want the badges because its offered in europe, but adding an extra letter to your model number makes you seem like you are trying to be an elitist and at the same time, it makes your look like a poser to those in the know such as the members of this forum.
Nope.

I have a car configured to please me. And it does. It's really that simple. If you spend your life worrying about keeping up with what other people think that's the very definition of being a poseur. If you feel the need to preach your values at other people in a public forum, that's being an elitist.

Hypocrite much?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #63
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
In that realworld context, my M428i is indeed worthy of the name and the badge.
Quote:
Exactly.

BMW celebrates the M-Sport with a fender badge, so too will I.

Ever notice that the people who covet and protect the "M" as something precious and holy are non-M owners? After a decade in BMW discussion forums I've never seen a single M3 owner drop into one of these talks and say "Hey! You're pretending you're driving MY car! You're a POSEUR!"

It's crazy how the only people who care about the M cars posture in life are the ones who don't own them. And that type of coveting and overprotection is a form of poseurism in and of itself if you think about it. "I don't own an M3 but I will defend it to the death!" Wha?
You are clearly very enthusiastic about your car, which is great for you

I think the M badges is a nice touch and your car looks really nice with the exterior and interior colour combination

A couple of points from my view:

You refer to your car as a M428i and I understand you feel that it deserves that nomenclature since it has the M-Sport pack. If it really did deserve the "M428i" badge, I'm sure BMW actually would have called it a M428i from the factory... Just like a Audi A4 doesn't become a S4 just because it has the S-line options, neither does our regular BMW models become a Mxxx model just because it has the M-Sport option...

BMW offers three levels of M packaging:
  • M-Sport
  • Mxx models
  • ///M models

The first level just gets some cosmetic and interior mods and optional sports suspension. This is the S-line equivalent.

The second level is a "baby ///M" model that has improved suspension and drivetrain. These cars have options/equipment/state of tune that isn't available to a lesser model. This level actually involves BMW ///M engineers developing the cars suspension settings etc.

The highest level is ///M of course

IMHO it makes no sense to call your car a M428i, just as little as it makes sense to call a 518d with M-Sport bodystyling a M518d...

And lastly, there have been PLENTY of ///M owners commenting on conversions and use of M badges on regular BMW's... Here is just a few sample threads:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038584
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662615
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704796
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748594
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1076018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I respect the time, cost, and effort that went into this. And the end result looks good. But as an owner of the F10 M5 this is insulting to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Why? Do you really need to ask this question? Because it's not the M5! It's a 528/530 disguised as the M5. Those who see it will be deceived into thinking it's the real thing when it's not.

It's not about the money - it's about it being fake. He should've bought the M Sport Package. That is an accessory designed for the F10 non-M5. What he did was diminish the value of the M brand by putting lipstick on a pig.

And yes, I know that BMW cars are expensive around the world. I used to live in Europe. But I earned enough money to drive whatever I wanted in both the UK and Germany, and didn't need to resort to making my car something it wasn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
What the streets need more fake M cars and badges. Please stop promoting this Bimmerpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozilla4 View Post
It's very nice and looks amazing. But I'm going to agree that you should cover up the M4 on the fender. And maybe even put a 435i emblem back on the rear deck. Otherwise it's not much different than kids with Integra GS-R's putting a Type-R sticker on their cars.
Plenty of ///M owners coming in and disapproving of the use of ///M badges and conversions as you can see. Some approve, others don't

-

Last edited by Boss330; 01-10-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #64
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I will revert back to my original post before you all jumped on me.

"I love how you refer to this as a M428i...LOL..."

He then tried to justify this saying its the same as a m235 to where I refuted with facts pointing out true differences. Nothing wrong with that discussion because there are real differences.

You guys are the ones blowing this out of proportion over a simple discussion. All of my posts have been cordial. I never said he is a poser or a douche or any other name. Hell I never said anything bad about whole idea. Again if you think that is rude or mean, well that is quite amusing. This is a public forum and is meant to have discussions Xena.

Stop.

I didn't do this to my car (above). I'm allowed to call it whatever I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
You are clearly very enthusiastic about your car, which is great for you

I think the M badges is a nice touch and your car looks really nice with the exterior and interior colour combination

A couple of points from my view:

You refer to your car as a M428i and I understand you feel that it deserves that nomenclature since it has the M-Sport pack. If it really did deserve the "M428i" badge, I'm sure BMW actually would have called it a M428i from the factory... Just like a Audi A4 doesn't become a S4 just because it has the S-line options, neither does our regular BMW models become a Mxxx model just because it has the M-Sport option...

BMW offers three levels of M packaging:
  • M-Sport
  • Mxx models
  • ///M models

The first level just gets some cosmetic and interior mods and optional sports suspension. This is the S-line equivalent.

The second level is a "baby ///M" model that has improved suspension and drivetrain. These cars have options/equipment/state of tune that isn't available to a lesser model. This level actually involves BMW ///M engineers developing the cars suspension settings etc.

The highest level is ///M of course

IMHO it makes no sense to call your car a M428i, just as little as it makes sense to call a 518d with M-Sport bodystyling a M518d...
Thank you for the kind words about my car; the color combination is really nice and I'm happy I've been able to clean up the front fenders and return them to Euro spec.

Enjoy your M518ACd. Beautiful car.

Last edited by joewalton; 01-10-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #65
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Quote:
Nope.

I have a car configured to please me. And it does. It's really that simple. If you spend your life worrying about keeping up with what other people think that's the very definition of being a poseur. If you feel the need to preach your values at other people in a public forum, that's being an elitist.

Hypocrite much?
It doesnt have to do with worrying about what people think, or values. It's about facts and getting in touch with reality. BMW does not make a M428, so when people ask you about why you call your car an m428, instead of trying to justify it, you should own up. Admit that you know there is no such thing as an m428 and you just made the whole thing up in your head because you felt like it. I can relate, I have a 435 exhaust on my 428, some people dont like it, but hey, I like dual exhausts and I'm fine with what I did. And you should be fine with making up imaginary model names.
      01-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #66
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
It doesnt have to do with worrying about what people think, or values. It's about facts and getting in touch with reality. BMW does not make a M428, so when people ask you about why you call your car an m428, instead of trying to justify it, you should own up. Admit that you know there is no such thing as an m428 and you just made the whole thing up in your head because you felt like it. I can relate, I have a 435 exhaust on my 428, some people dont like it, but hey, I like dual exhausts and I'm fine with what I did. And you should be fine with making up imaginary model names.
I'm not delusional, I don't think it even needs "admission" because I think you're the only person who thinks I'm trying to fool anybody.

Typing "428i with the M-Sport Package" takes too long, typing M428i is just quicker and says the same thing. BMW does this themselves with the M235i which is a "235i with the M-Sport Package", not sure why this bothers you.

That said my car is very fast and I can make it to Queens in under 20 minutes if you want to settle this in person.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread