F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Kafka's 328i Thread and Other Miscellaneous Debris
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

10-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Kafka's 328i Thread and Other Miscellaneous Debris

Instead of jacking everyone else's threads or turning some poor guy's "should I lease or buy" question thread into a 10 page lease vs. buy debate, and considering I have 2 more years left on this lease, I figure I will start my own thead/journal and update it now and then. I did this with my 320i related to the BMS stage 1 tune I had on that car and it turned into the 70 page vortex of automotive despair with more posts and views then, at the time, any other thread on Bimmerfest. I don't expect even 5% of that traction with this thread but I find it easier to keep things in 1 place then troll other threads. Link below for reference. Note: I haven't been on BF in several months because you can't write 4 letter words on there and eager beaver moderator/hall monitors send warnings relentlessly about swearing or offending grown men on the internet.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=761551

Details about my car are in my sig but to quickly review: 2016 328i with M sport pkg, premium pkg w/LED headlights, driver asst, navigation, heated seats, Sensatacky seats, black sapphire metallic paint, 8 speed auto, burger JB+ juicebox tune, 35% ceramic tint up front and limo in the back. MSRP on the car was like $48500 or so, Crevier took my 32 month old lease on my 320i, ate the last 4 payments, I paid drive offs, nothing else down and my lease is $360 a month.

So let's get started. Start up my car the other day, 11000 miles on the clock and I get a check engine light. Car drives fine. Take it down to AutoZone and hook up the code reader and get a P0073 trouble code fault which is the ambient air temperature sensor circuit high etc. Possible causes:

-The ambient air temperature sensor has malfunctioned
-The wiring has shorted or broken
-There is corrosion in the electric circuitry or connector
-A break or short in the ambient air temperature harness
-Debris that is covering the sensor

I attempted to set up an appointment at Pacific BMW for service and was told that their next appt. isn't until November 1st. I was then told I could 'tow it in', even though its running fine, but otherwise, they could not see me sooner since it is running fine. So here I am, driving around with a CEL for the next week+ until I can bring it in. I removed my little Juicebox JB+ just to see if that was the culprit even though that plugs into a difference sensor, and its unrelated. I'm keep it off though since I don't want to bring any attention on myself when I bring for service. I love that. CEL and BMW's are so unreliable and there are so many BMWs in my area that it literally takes 2 fucking weeks to get a service appointment. I could go to another dealer but none would be as close and then I run into potential distance issues, maybe there isn't a loaner available, etc. When I say the car is 'running fine', it is, except that the auto stop/start doesn't work now and its constantly disabled, which must be related to the sensor malfunction since its reading a much higher intake air temp then is actually happening and its behaving like it does in the summer when it won't shut off in extreme heat.

So, back to a stock 328i for the next week. I must say that little JB+ really adds some grunt and low end torque to this thing but stock 328 is still a competent daily. Does seem a little pokey now.

Heres a random picture of my car. Thats all for now... 1st entry down.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 10-23-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

So it turns out that Pacific BMW has an Uber account and if they don't have a loaner for you, or until they do, they will either do Executive Car Service or Uber to bring you back and forth from home to work. Fine by me, as long as there is something in place. I spoke to my usual SA today about the appt. on the 1st and asked what people do when there is no loaner available and there car is in for service under warranty and he brought up the Uber. When VW used to cover the loaners, if they didn't have one, they would get you a rental car, which was always a big hassle but it was transportation. Now I think VW just flogs you if your car is in for service, makes you sit in their shitty waiting area drinking instant coffee for hours until they tell you your car will be ready in 2 weeks and find a ride home.

Well this thread is blowing up so far. 84 views, zero comments and clearly so boring it isn't worth participating in. Oh well, back to threads about spoilers and muffler deletes.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #3
BMWtight2me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320ayayay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque328 View Post

Well this thread is blowing up so far. 84 views, zero comments and clearly so boring it isn't worth participating in. Oh well, back to threads about spoilers and muffler deletes.
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtight2me View Post
I can always count on you at least, haha

Appreciate 1
      10-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
PennSt8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
So it turns out that Pacific BMW has an Uber account and if they don't have a loaner for you, or until they do, they will either do Executive Car Service or Uber to bring you back and forth from home to work. Fine by me, as long as there is something in place. I spoke to my usual SA today about the appt. on the 1st and asked what people do when there is no loaner available and there car is in for service under warranty and he brought up the Uber. When VW used to cover the loaners, if they didn't have one, they would get you a rental car, which was always a big hassle but it was transportation. Now I think VW just flogs you if your car is in for service, makes you sit in their shitty waiting area drinking instant coffee for hours until they tell you your car will be ready in 2 weeks and find a ride home.

I didn't know that they offered that. Good to know as the other half tends to favor Pacific for service.
      10-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
OneLastBMW
Sarcasm while you wait.
Rep
Drives: 2017 F33 B58 xDrive

What did you want us to say? It's a check engine light. You should het the engine checked.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      10-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastBMW View Post
It's a check engine light. You should het the engine checked.

Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      10-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Than, not then. You’re welcome.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

10-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Than, not then. You’re welcome.
her clock ran faster than/then his clock (time and comparison) which is correct lol

Last edited by BMW11; 10-25-2017 at 12:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:02 AM   #10
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Quote:

I like these types of threads. As someone new to BMW, I’m interested in the ownership experience (not muffler deletes). I bet a kick out of the fact that you can’t get into a BMW dealer for two weeks...jeez Louise. Anyway, please keep us posted. My first thought when I read your post was that it must have to do with your tune...much more concerned if it’s not the tune, as seems to be th case.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #11
BMW11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Instead of jacking everyone else's threads or turning some poor guy's "should I lease or buy" question thread into a 10 page lease vs. buy debate, and considering I have 2 more years left on this lease, I figure I will start my own thead/journal and update it now and then. I did this with my 320i related to the BMS stage 1 tune I had on that car and it turned into the 70 page vortex of automotive despair with more posts and views then, at the time, any other thread on Bimmerfest. I don't expect even 5% of that traction with this thread but I find it easier to keep things in 1 place then troll other threads. Link below for reference. Note: I haven't been on BF in several months because you can't write 4 letter words on there and eager beaver moderator/hall monitors send warnings relentlessly about swearing or offending grown men on the internet.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=761551

Details about my car are in my sig but to quickly review: 2016 328i with M sport pkg, premium pkg w/LED headlights, driver asst, navigation, heated seats, Sensatacky seats, black sapphire metallic paint, 8 speed auto, burger JB+ juicebox tune, 35% ceramic tint up front and limo in the back. MSRP on the car was like $48500 or so, Crevier took my 32 month old lease on my 320i, ate the last 4 payments, I paid drive offs, nothing else down and my lease is $360 a month.

So let's get started. Start up my car the other day, 11000 miles on the clock and I get a check engine light. Car drives fine. Take it down to AutoZone and hook up the code reader and get a P0073 trouble code fault which is the ambient air temperature sensor circuit high etc. Possible causes:

-The ambient air temperature sensor has malfunctioned
-The wiring has shorted or broken
-There is corrosion in the electric circuitry or connector
-A break or short in the ambient air temperature harness
-Debris that is covering the sensor

I attempted to set up an appointment at Pacific BMW for service and was told that their next appt. isn't until November 1st. I was then told I could 'tow it in', even though its running fine, but otherwise, they could not see me sooner since it is running fine. So here I am, driving around with a CEL for the next week+ until I can bring it in. I removed my little Juicebox JB+ just to see if that was the culprit even though that plugs into a difference sensor, and its unrelated. I'm keep it off though since I don't want to bring any attention on myself when I bring for service. I love that. CEL and BMW's are so unreliable and there are so many BMWs in my area that it literally takes 2 fucking weeks to get a service appointment. I could go to another dealer but none would be as close and then I run into potential distance issues, maybe there isn't a loaner available, etc. When I say the car is 'running fine', it is, except that the auto stop/start doesn't work now and its constantly disabled, which must be related to the sensor malfunction since its reading a much higher intake air temp then is actually happening and its behaving like it does in the summer when it won't shut off in extreme heat.

So, back to a stock 328i for the next week. I must say that little JB+ really adds some grunt and low end torque to this thing but stock 328 is still a competent daily. Does seem a little pokey now.

Heres a random picture of my car. Thats all for now... 1st entry down.

hope the dealer works out your problem. Its hard to get appointment here in NYC also always had to wait 2 weeks or more even with no loaner. they are happy to take it in and let it lay there till they get to it. But its too much risk leaving it there for long as they will shuffle it around and around and lay and subject to damage so i always wait and use the other car. Your car looks nice and clean what wax do you use?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishguy84 View Post
I like these types of threads. As someone new to BMW, I’m interested in the ownership experience (not muffler deletes). I bet a kick out of the fact that you can’t get into a BMW dealer for two weeks...jeez Louise. Anyway, please keep us posted. My first thought when I read your post was that it must have to do with your tune...much more concerned if it’s not the tune, as seems to be th case.
Has nothing to do with the tune. The tune gets in between the TMAP Sensor coming out of the charge pipe, has nothing to do with the ambient air temperature sensor. The tune has been removed for days now and the error is still there. Whole thing is messed up. AC doesn't work right, auto stop/start doesn't work anymore, outside temperature says -40 degrees F and the CEL remains. I'm sure they'll get it all sorted next wednesday. Can't wait for that to happen so I can throw the tune back on. Makes a pretty significant difference. So much more immediate torque and throttle response. Factory tune is pretty dead.

Even though it is unrelated, I'm leaving it off because I don't need the hassle. If they'd even notice it, haha. Its pretty discreet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
hope the dealer works out your problem. Its hard to get appointment here in NYC also always had to wait 2 weeks or more even with no loaner. they are happy to take it in and let it lay there till they get to it. But its too much risk leaving it there for long as they will shuffle it around and around and lay and subject to damage so i always wait and use the other car. Your car looks nice and clean what wax do you use?
Yeah, I figure as long as the car drives, there is no reason to bring it in and let it sit. So my appt. is Wednesday. Ive gone to the same service adviser for years now and he usually hooks it up. Ive never not gotten a loaner, actually no.. once they did the exec car service and some girl drove me home and back in an X5d. Otherwise I get loaners. Im fine with Uber, loaners, car service whatever. Long as Im not paying they can keep it and figure it out. There is nothing like the feeling when you get your back and its fixed and working perfectly again and its all washed and stuff. Love it. And I totally let the dealer wash the car. Always looks fine, never scratched, never any swirls or holograms, so if its free, and it saves me the $20 and time of going to the car wash and having all the illegals do it, fine by me

Thanks! Yeah, I wax it myself but sadly only do it about 3 times a year now. Im lucky if I wash the car 2 times a month now. With the black sapphire you see alot of water spots and etching and all kinds of blemishes after you wash it. The proper thing is to clay, then polish and ScratchX on the bad areas, and then wax (I uses Meguires liquid something or other wax) but anyway, all Meguire's products.. but these days I just don't have time for all that. Pre-small children and pre-career establishment I used to do all that to my vehicles and longingly polish them and leisurely wax and now my $48500 lease special goes through the automatic car wash and I just don't care anymore.

In some alternate reality I could see it being different and really caring for the car but that scene is for kids and retired people. But yes, that picture was taken after rare polish and wax. If I bought this car or something, off lease, which is unlikely, I would probably take it to a high end detailing place to really 'start over' and have it professionally done and bring back that factory luster. But if it says a lease and gets turned in, the minimalist approach will remain.

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 10-26-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

If there is a 2 week wait, I wonder if they've reduced the number of techs at the dealership. I've never heard of such a delay to bring a car in.

Is your AC working in manual mode but not auto?

As far as power goes in your stock 2016, you're better off than the 2017. In my 2017 330i, although the HP is supposed to be higher than the N20/26, it feels slightly slower and there is definitely more lag when accelerating. I'd rather have the N26. N26 sounded better too. I'm guessing that they dialed performance back a notch to create some meaningful distance between the 330i and 340i. Just a thought.

This 2017 is noticeably more solid feeling than the 2014 I had. No squeaks, rattles, snap, crackles, or pops. Less road noise too. AC works much better too. The transmission, even though it's the sport AT, shifts a little slower than my 2014 which didn't have sport AT. Go figure. However, this trans. downshifts much more smoothly when decelerating to a stop light. I can't even detect the downshifts.

The HK has been a nice upgrade, sounding better as the speakers break in.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
If there is a 2 week wait, I wonder if they've reduced the number of techs at the dealership. I've never heard of such a delay to bring a car in.

Is your AC working in manual mode but not auto?

As far as power goes in your stock 2016, you're better off than the 2017. In my 2017 330i, although the HP is supposed to be higher than the N20/26, it feels slightly slower and there is definitely more lag when accelerating. I'd rather have the N26. N26 sounded better too. I'm guessing that they dialed performance back a notch to create some meaningful distance between the 330i and 340i. Just a thought.

This 2017 is noticeably more solid feeling than the 2014 I had. No squeaks, rattles, snap, crackles, or pops. Less road noise too. AC works much better too. The transmission, even though it's the sport AT, shifts a little slower than my 2014 which didn't have sport AT. Go figure. However, this trans. downshifts much more smoothly when decelerating to a stop light. I can't even detect the downshifts.

The HK has been a nice upgrade, sounding better as the speakers break in.
There are other dealers, several in the SoCal area as you know but in LA everything is a haul and bringing it to another dealership that could take me sooner would be more of an inconvenience than just waiting for Glendale and it being 15 min away from my house. But yeah, its ridiculous how far out they were booked. Literally booked solid.

Nice little 330i review. Its not your imagination, it is slower. All the car mags that tested it when it came out have it down as being a few ticks slower to 60 than the 28i with the n20 engine. More torque though right? I think there are tunes out for the 330i now anyway so at least there is that.

Nice to hear they sorted out build issues. The little creaks and squeaks and ticks inside my car are beyond cheap and annoying. Everytime I am in some Uber drivers crappy Hyundai Elantra or base Accord or Camry or whatever, it always bums me out how much more solid those 'economy' cars are than pretty much any 3 series I have been in in terms of rattles and things. Even my buddy who got a 340i last year.. He let me drive it when it was brand new and it had this buzzing coming from the B pillar and a weird rattle from the middle dash area. Its like jesus seriously, in a $55k car?

I would love to have HK.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #15
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

LOL the queen of drama is back.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #16
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

After looking at your photo I see that msport now comes with fog lights. Looks much better that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #17
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After looking at your photo I see that msport now comes with fog lights. Looks much better that way.
Yes, the omission of fog lights on previous ones made no sense to me. I had it coded to have the fog lights activated as cornering lights which is cool since I only have the standard non-adaptive LED headlights.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Appointment tomorrow finally. 2 weeks with the CEL on for the ambient air temp sensor, auto stop/start not working and the climate control acting funny. Over it. Ready to get this sorted and get ol' Schteiglitz running at optimal level again.

Been texting my regular service adviser and he says he'll know first thing in the AM if he can get me a loaner and if he can he'll set one aside. If not, its exec car service or their Uber for me. Maybe if they deny me a loaner I can cry discrimination and post a really long and tedious video about it with horrendous soundtrack.

I imagine they will simply replace the ambient air temp sensor, clear the code and that will fix it. Probably related to the La Tuna fires which came right up to our door step. Relentless ash and debris. My air filter is toast as well so I'm requesting they do the following:

Address CEL P0073 Fault, replace air filter, replace wiper blades (streaking, over a year old), wash car.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #19
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Appointment tomorrow finally. 2 weeks with the CEL on for the ambient air temp sensor, auto stop/start not working and the climate control acting funny. Over it. Ready to get this sorted and get ol' Schteiglitz running at optimal level again.

Been texting my regular service adviser and he says he'll know first thing in the AM if he can get me a loaner and if he can he'll set one aside. If not, its exec car service or their Uber for me. Maybe if they deny me a loaner I can cry discrimination and post a really long and tedious video about it with horrendous soundtrack.

I imagine they will simply replace the ambient air temp sensor, clear the code and that will fix it. Probably related to the La Tuna fires which came right up to our door step. Relentless ash and debris. My air filter is toast as well so I'm requesting they do the following:

Address CEL P0073 Fault, replace air filter, replace wiper blades (streaking, over a year old), wash car.
Wiper blades are no longer part of free maintenance plan!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #20
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wiper blades are no longer part of free maintenance plan!
What?! Weak
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What?! Weak
yes indeedy
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #22
BMW11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yes indeedy
i think they dropped wiper blades for 2017 and newer the 2016's are still covered same for the brakes and some other stuff plus they took away a WHOLE YEAR off the maintenance program lol this is BMW's bad decision it will cover less and less till theres no more of it then it will cost for everything plus the prices will still go up nice BMW you may lose customers lol
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread