F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HI-FI audio upgrade to surpass harmon/kardon?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
zimm
Rep
Drives: 335 shopping

HI-FI audio upgrade to surpass harmon/kardon?

edit- this should be moved to the audio section....

I tried searching but couldn't find much beyond Bavarian Sound Works stage 1 upgrade.

I'm looking at two used 335i sedans. One with nav and hi-fi, the other has the h/k system, but no nav. It's much further away too. So, if I get the one with nav that's local- can I upgrade the audio to be at least as good as the hk system?

I usually add a 5 channel amp, 8" or 10" woofer, and some decent co-axials (JL, polk, etc) to all my previous cars/trucks and I'm happy. I don't need symphony quality, but I want to rock out without clipping and hear the sub-bass lines in heavy music.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
I've just done the Bavsound Stage 1 and the Bimmertech Amp.

This not only replaces all the cabin speakers (except the underseat woofers) but also ups the output to all cabin speakers by a factor of about 4X and gives you a full DSP.

It also gives you a proper line out to run a monoblock amp for a proper sub in the boot.

IMO there is no better way to do it. It's all completely plug'n'play and reversible if/when you need to.

Even without the boot sub it shits all over the HK. And I'm speaking from experience.
      09-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
zimm
Rep
Drives: 335 shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post

This not only replaces all the cabin speakers (except the underseat woofers) but also ups the output to all cabin speakers by a factor of about 4X and gives you a full DSP.

It also gives you a proper line out to run a monoblock amp for a proper sub in the boot.

IMO there is no better way to do it. It's all completely plug'n'play and reversible if/when you need to.

Even without the boot sub it shits all over the HK. And I'm speaking from experience.

Thank you. Exactly the info I needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:

+1 I too went this route, EXTREMELY satisfied!! Also, I just pre-ordered my BavSound under seat ghost subs (will be released end of Nov for early Dec delivery)!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
Cruiserman
1st BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

I install a custom system in every car I have owned. I am a musician and very particular about sound quality. Stock systems are, for me, a bad situation, but, I did make sure that I got HK in my car because with the 7 band EQ, I can make the best of a "bad situation" until I upgrade. I think that HK is too highly regarded. Is it the name? probably. Car makers do that. Even Hyundai offers a Infiniti branded system, but guess what? It sounds terrible. So, don't base your car choice on the HK. But if you were to order a new car, then $875. for HK is a no brainer.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
shadowyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY F82 MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserman View Post
I install a custom system in every car I have owned. I am a musician and very particular about sound quality. Stock systems are, for me, a bad situation, but, I did make sure that I got HK in my car because with the 7 band EQ, I can make the best of a "bad situation" until I upgrade. I think that HK is too highly regarded. Is it the name? probably. Car makers do that. Even Hyundai offers a Infiniti branded system, but guess what? It sounds terrible. So, don't base your car choice on the HK. But if you were to order a new car, then $875. for HK is a no brainer.
They should offer higher range sound system like 5 and above. I was definitely going to order if bang and olufsen were offered. Their lose, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyman View Post
They should offer higher range sound system like 5 and above. I was definitely going to order if bang and olufsen were offered. Their lose, I guess.
The B&O upgrade in the 5 series out here is a $12.5K option! I love music but there was no way known I was going to get that in my new car. I'll stick with the shitty HK system
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
Cruiserman
1st BMW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
The B&O upgrade in the 5 series out here is a $12.5K option! I love music but there was no way known I was going to get that in my new car. I'll stick with the shitty HK system
Yeah, I heard that! My last system was custom for $8K, and I have not heard a factory system that comes close. $12.5k? whew!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #9
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I heard that! My last system was custom for $8K, and I have not heard a factory system that comes close. $12.5k? whew!
I'd pay it... I'm a sucker for good sound...

Last edited by Harlequin; 09-20-2015 at 05:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:11 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I'd pay it... I'm a sucker for good sound...
I wouldn't. I find the stock system perfectly adequate, and I'm an acoustical engineer, I design sound systems for a living. There's perhaps no worse listening environment than a car, and no matter how much money you throw into it the sound will never be better than what the environment will allow it to be. If I was to add another $12.5k into the equation it wouldn't be to put a better sound system into a 3 series, it would be to step up to a 5 series.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

It's more involved to upgrade HK. I would not recommend it if there is any chance you're going to go aftermarket.

I'm speaking from experience. The Mobridge piece required for an HK upgrade lists for $765.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
Cruiserman
1st BMW
United_States
Rep

Yes, and becoming common in newer cars. The sound system is an integral part of all systems of the car. Thats why dsp's accept speaker level input. Audiocontrol has more solutions now also. My considerations at this point is to either take signals from factory amp to dsp and additional amp(s),
or install separate system for portable flac player. I have experience in both options, each having their pros and cons
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

It sounds like there are some decent upgrade options for the standard HiFi system. I too just purchased a used 2014 but made HK a pre-requisite. I'm glad I did...it's a notable upgrade in audio quality and output (especially for the cost, which is almost negligible on a used car).

However, in your case, with these two particular choices, I'd go with the Nav equipped car because you DO have options to upgrade the sound system but NO practice options to add Nav (or just as importantly the large screen).

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #14
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
I hear what you're saying and my experience in car audio is limited, but I like a good floor speaker. However, I feel that there is only so much you can do for sound quality, having a speaker in a car door without a proper box enclosure? No matter the quality of the speaker itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

The mids and tweeters are relatively easy to upgrade. I have Dynaudio and love them. I've also heard and liked Focal in our cars.

Improving the bass is more of a challenge. But there are options...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #16
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I wouldn't. I find the stock system perfectly adequate, and I'm an acoustical engineer, I design sound systems for a living. There's perhaps no worse listening environment than a car, and no matter how much money you throw into it the sound will never be better than what the environment will allow it to be. If I was to add another $12.5k into the equation it wouldn't be to put a better sound system into a 3 series, it would be to step up to a 5 series.
completely agree. Not to mention most people use their systems to listen to the high quality output of siriux xm
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
nürburgring
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i M-Sport Wagon

Are there any videos out there that compare the standard HiFi to the Bavsound Stage 1? I would love to hear the before and after. While I know it would be hard to replicate the sound on a 2 channel recording device, it's still nice to use as a gauge.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:48 AM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1167516

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
edit- this should be moved to the audio section....

I tried searching but couldn't find much beyond Bavarian Sound Works stage 1 upgrade.

I'm looking at two used 335i sedans. One with nav and hi-fi, the other has the h/k system, but no nav. It's much further away too. So, if I get the one with nav that's local- can I upgrade the audio to be at least as good as the hk system?

I usually add a 5 channel amp, 8" or 10" woofer, and some decent co-axials (JL, polk, etc) to all my previous cars/trucks and I'm happy. I don't need symphony quality, but I want to rock out without clipping and hear the sub-bass lines in heavy music.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0