F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Random, Unexplained Problem
proTUNING Freaks

12-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
ozorion
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 30D MSport

Garage List
Random, Unexplained Problem

One day last week, I was driving my six week old car when I suddenly got a status warning indicating that the Front Camera had failed and that the Collision Warning system was therefore offline. I suspected I might have hit a bug or something so next time I pulled over, I checked the camera and found no issue, when I started the car up again, the status had cleared.

Today I had a much more serious issue. I was driving when I suddenly got the following warnings:

Steering failure - drive moderately and contact BMW service as soon as possible.
Restraint system failure - IMPORTANT - contact BMW service as soon as possible.
Front camera failure - Collision detection system offline.

As the same time I lost power steering, and the pre-tension on the seatbelts slacked off. I guessed that the car was in some sort of limp-home mode, and I was only two blocks from my office, so I went there and parked. I shut the car off, and when I restarted it, all the errors had gone, and everything was working properly again.

I contacted my dealer, North Shore BMW, and they told me to take the car straight in to their service centre. I did so, experiencing none of the issues along the way. Later in the day they contacted me and told me that it was a one-off software error that won't happen again.

I'm still a little concerned, especially as I'm planning a long trip on Christmas Eve.
      12-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Did they give any more details such as the actual error code found and what it means? That may give u more or less assurance abt your upcoming trip. If not i would call up to find out.

Either way u know rebooting your car works if u run into more problems
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I remember my yellow 'Check Engine Light' coming on a few times after I first took delivery of my E90. I did the same thing and switch off the car. Waited a few minutes and all was well. Had it checked. All clear and thankfully it never happened again. Weird.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

i dont like 'one off wont happen again' answers. Normally means it will happen when i am 500km away from town
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

I had a situation shortly after I got my E90 delivered where all the electronics went mad, as I was driving it. Turned out to be a loose battery cable, meaning that the battery wasn't charging. Suggest you check this side of things...
      12-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
i dont like 'one off wont happen again' answers. Normally means it will happen when i am 500km away from town
Thats how the dealerships make $, each time you visit and ask them to solve or find a problem. The dealers then bill BMW, the more times you go back the merrier. BMW now audits and checks each dealer very closely. One dealer in particular had to reimburse BMW AG $3mill last year due to fraud or should I say shonky work practices.. i.e. inefficient billing, warranty abuse i.e. 2 items needed to be replaced within the same troubled area/problem but the stealership replaced all the parts surrounding it etc...

Dont ask me how I know. I just do : )
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

can u find out the stock wheel alignment specs we should have? my front left has +ve camber that, to me, is not right
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
can u find out the stock wheel alignment specs we should have? my front left has +ve camber that, to me, is not right
Might need to ask BMW on that one. However, If I hold my steering wheel perfectly straight, the car will veer off to the left. Now this is on absolutely flat roads like the middle lane of Nepean Hwy, any where between Elsternwick & Mentone.

I had my dealer check, but it is within spec. If they adjusted it to compensate, it would veer off to the right instead. Seems they can't do dead straight.

Why????????

Is this your situation as well Sephanite?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Might need to ask BMW on that one. However, If I hold my steering wheel perfectly straight, the car will veer off to the left. Now this is on absolutely flat roads like the middle lane of Nepean Hwy, any where between Elsternwick & Mentone.

I had my dealer check, but it is within spec. If they adjusted it to compensate, it would veer off to the right instead. Seems they can't do dead straight.

Why????????

Is this your situation as well Sephanite?
Ask them what they did to check it?, what did they actually do or measure... Its not meant to veer off to the left, its a safety issue that they need to take seriously.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
Ask them what they did to check it?, what did they actually do or measure... Its not meant to veer off to the left, its a safety issue that they need to take seriously.
I intend on doing just that. No, I agree, it's not meant to veer off course at all.
Appreciate 0