F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 codes after 3 weeks.
proTUNING Freaks

12-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
Sylow
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

JB4 codes after 3 weeks.

I installed a JB4 along with the bluetooth unit in my 2013 F30 335i M sport approximately three weeks ago. The unit ran fine until recently when I started to get the following codes

102001 Air mass, Plausibility - Tuner code, ignore
121001 TMAP sensor,short circuit to +
120408 Reduced Power Mode
104401 MAP sensor, intake pipe, electrical: Short to circuit to B+

I removed the unit and vehicle runs fine, so I believe the TMAP and intake MAP sensor sensor are not damaged and hence the short may be in the JB4 unit itself. The car battery was disconnected during both the installation and removal. I realize that the TMAP sensor issue is common but I received a code for both the TMAP and intake MAP sensor, and the vehicle does NOT throw a code with the JB4 removed. I also find it worrying that the code suspects a tuner code despite the JB4 being advertised as nearly undetectable.

Anyone have recommendations? I purchased the unit from Mike at n54tuning and emailed him. At the moment I'm open to a exchange or refund. But I'm wondering if I should cut my loses, escalate a refund claim through Paypal, and go with either a Dinan Stage 2 or MPPK.

Edit: Codes were caused by incorrectly connecting the red power wire from the BT Rev3 dongle to the red 12 volt line instead of the 5 volt red wire in the main JB4 wiring harness.

Last edited by Sylow; 12-11-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylow View Post
I installed a JB4 along with the bluetooth unit in my 2013 F30 335i M sport approximately three weeks ago. The unit ran fine until recently when I started to get the following codes

I removed the unit and vehicle runs fine, so I believe the TMAP and intake MAP sensor sensor are not damaged and hence the short may be in the JB4 unit itself. The car battery was disconnected during both the installation and removal. I realize that the TMAP sensor issue is common but I received a code for both the TMAP and intake MAP sensor, and the vehicle does NOT throw a code with the JB4 removed. I also find it worrying that the code suspects a tuner code despite the JB4 being advertised as nearly undetectable.

Anyone have recommendations? I purchased the unit from Mike at n54tuning and emailed him. At the moment I'm open to a exchange or refund. But I'm wondering if I should cut my loses, escalate a refund claim through Paypal, and go with either a Dinan Stage 2 or MPPK.
I'll elaborate and these are my views, experiences and some of the things I've found out through reading and searching for answeres.

I'll start with I use to run JB4 and with the Bluetooth rev. 3.
I no longer run JB4 since in all honestly it started to give me the same issues. All the same issues you listed. I'm not going to get into great detail but i ditched JB4 and went to bootmod3 and never been happier.

Now, I found that for running JB4 in the 2 years it was best on earlier revisions. 2.hex and 5.hex files worked relatively well. I noticed more problems when I updated to newer files.

Also this is what I found...folks started having these short circuit faults when they added the Bluetooth device. I've ran across 2 people that took it off and ran the lap top with data cable and it stopped. Coincidence? Perhaps...I can't confirm or say that's a fix. But it's what I've seen.

I've heard there's a revision 4 Bluetooth coming and maybe this is why. But I'm not paying another $140 to find out for a BT dongle.

I worked with terry and in the end I dialed it in but still had a mysterious drivetrain fault that threw no codes and the only way to clear it was disconnect the battery. Pretty annoying every 9-10 days.

Took JB4 off never had another issue. Just saying.

JB4 has awesome support and a lot of users and that helps a ton plus countless parameters that nothing else can adjust such as fueling at the moment especially meth and PI control. So it does come with great benefits as well.

Good luck man.
M-terkait209.00
      12-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Sylow
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I should of added that I initially got the fault last weekend but a clear and restart got rid of the issue. Today the issue persisted through the clear but I did not disconnect the battery today other than to remove the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I should of added that I initially got the fault last weekend but a clear and restart got rid of the issue. Today the issue persisted through the clear but I did not disconnect the battery today other than to remove the JB4.
I would try and set a map you want, then unplug the battery, take off the Bluetooth dongle reattached the battery and see how it does.

It's the ups and downs of JB4 life...good days bad days.
      12-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Sylow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
I would try and set a map you want, then unplug the battery, take off the Bluetooth dongle reattached the battery and see how it does.

Thanks. I originally ran the JB4 for one week without rev3 BT dongle as Mike forgot to ship it together. The first code appeared within a few days of attaching the bluetooth dongle and again today. I'll try running it without it and see how it goes for a week.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. I originally ran the JB4 for one week without rev3 BT dongle as Mike forgot to ship it together. The first code appeared within a few days of attaching the bluetooth dongle and again today. I'll try running it without it and see how it goes for a week.
That's when my issues began as well man. Try it and report back. You'd be doing us a solid.
      12-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Quote:

I'll elaborate and these are my views, experiences and some of the things I've found out through reading and searching for answeres.

I'll start with I use to run JB4 and with the Bluetooth rev. 3.
I no longer run JB4 since in all honestly it started to give me the same issues. All the same issues you listed. I'm not going to get into great detail but i ditched JB4 and went to bootmod3 and never been happier.

Now, I found that for running JB4 in the 2 years it was best on earlier revisions. 2.hex and 5.hex files worked relatively well. I noticed more problems when I updated to newer files.

Also this is what I found...folks started having these short circuit faults when they added the Bluetooth device. I've ran across 2 people that took it off and ran the lap top with data cable and it stopped. Coincidence? Perhaps...I can't confirm or say that's a fix. But it's what I've seen.

I've heard there's a revision 4 Bluetooth coming and maybe this is why. But I'm not paying another $140 to find out for a BT dongle.

I worked with terry and in the end I dialed it in but still had a mysterious drivetrain fault that threw no codes and the only way to clear it was disconnect the battery. Pretty annoying every 9-10 days.

Took JB4 off never had another issue. Just saying.

JB4 has awesome support and a lot of users and that helps a ton plus countless parameters that nothing else can adjust such as fueling at the moment especially meth and PI control. So it does come with great benefits as well.

Good luck man.
Same shit here bluetooth had problems and none was listening to me many emails but no solution was found.. So i gave up on it.
      12-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

OP did you contact BMS technical support?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Sylow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Today is Saturday so I didn't try them yet. I reconnected the JB4 without the Bluetooth and went on a 50 mile ride through the Malibu canyons and it seems to be running fine. I'll wait a week to see if another CEL pops up.

I'll be happy if the main JB4 unit runs without the bluetooth module but it's a shame. The Bluetooth module was $139 and another $36 for the JB4 Mobile app and I doubt i'll get a refund on either. The app worked really well and I really did like it. Luckily I do have another code reading tool available to me if another warning pops up.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:23 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Today is Saturday so I didn't try them yet. I reconnected the JB4 without the Bluetooth and went on a 50 mile ride through the Malibu canyons and it seems to be running fine. I'll wait a week to see if another CEL pops up.

I'll be happy if the main JB4 unit runs without the bluetooth module but it's a shame. The Bluetooth module was $139 and another $36 for the JB4 Mobile app and I doubt i'll get a refund on either. The app worked really well and I really did like it. Luckily I do have another code reading tool available to me if another warning pops up.

If the bluetooth is the defective you will get a refund on it for sure

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

You can still clear codes with the jb4 but hooking it up the the lap top using the data cable.
      12-04-2016, 12:04 AM   #12
Sylow
Rep

I received a response from Jon at BMS. I was very surprised to get a response to an email sent on Saturday night. Turns out I incorrectly tapped the Rev3 Connect Kit to the lone 12v red wire (the one connected to the battery rail from the JB4) INSTEAD the 5v red (CORRECT) within the main wiring harness. Bit confusing but my fault. I'll reconnect the Rev3 kit and report back.

Last edited by Sylow; 12-04-2016 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #13
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

4 days now. Updated please.
Thinking on going jb4+bt or bootmode3.
      12-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
Sylow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
4 days now. Updated please.
Thinking on going jb4+bt or bootmode3.
So far no problem after fixing the wiring. Just be careful to disconnect the battery whenever you do ANY wiring work with the JB4 and make sure the red wire from the BT Dongle is connected to the 5 volt red wire within the main harness bundle and NOT the lone 12 volt red wire going to the battery rail. Support from BMS has been great and they even replied quickly to an email on a Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
So far no problem after fixing the wiring. Just be careful to disconnect the battery whenever you do ANY wiring work with the JB4 and make sure the red wire from the BT Dongle is connected to the 5 volt red wire within the main harness bundle and NOT the lone 12 volt red wire going to the battery rail. Support from BMS has been great and they even replied quickly to an email on a Saturday.
      01-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #16
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X Drive M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Any update on this? Literally ran into the same problem! Wondering if I should keep the jb4 or not. NOT dissing BMS or anything. The setup might just not be for me.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #17
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo93 View Post
Any update on this? Literally ran into the same problem! Wondering if I should keep the jb4 or not. NOT dissing BMS or anything. The setup might just not be for me.

Thanks
You know looking at the response the guy got from Jon@bms it seems like the BT has to be connected to the right red wire or you get the faults like you have.
      01-29-2017, 04:08 AM   #18
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Just want to mention...

Jb4 for 1.5 months here.

Bt rev3 module for 2 weeks now.

No issues what so ever. Posi tapped the red harness cable for the 5v+ the way the the bt install pdf calls 'more stealth install method'.

Only code ever thrown by the jb4 was on first ever start after install. Didnt read it as it cleared right away after ignition cycle. Did pop up as drive train fault on idrove though. Most likely was the tune detect code.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #19
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
You know looking at the response the guy got from Jon@bms it seems like the BT has to be connected to the right red wire or you get the faults like you have.
Yup! That's what it sounds like. Kinda frustrating 😰
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Well yea...

I mean this in the most un-aggresive way possible... But it clearly states the BT kit is 5V... The red wire you have connected to the + post of the vehicle is 12V.

That alone should be enough to make anyone stop and think things over.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #21
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
Well yea...

I mean this in the most un-aggresive way possible... But it clearly states the BT kit is 5V... The red wire you have connected to the + post of the vehicle is 12V.

I'm offended!!!
Kidding, but yeah after looking at the instructions I admit it was 100% my fault and was clearly a install error.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #22
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
Well yea...

Actually kind of strange. Mine didn't come with a posi-tap but that metal fork, which I connected straight to the 12V rail without any problems.

Appreciate 0