F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > BMW Authorized vs Certified Repair Shop
Studio RSR

09-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
ADrivingKoala
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Luxury Line

Unhappy BMW Authorized vs Certified Repair Shop

Just had my first accident this week in my new to me CPO 335i (4 months of ownership).

A fire extinguisher fell off a garbage truck and went under the car taking the undercarriage with it. Luckily, the Garage truck stopped and gave us his insurance!

Quick question regarding the repair. Does anyone know the difference between a BMW Authorized Repair Center vs the Certified Repair Center. I know the Certified ones are tied to a dealer, but is there any reason that I should bring the car into a Certified one instead. Can this effect my CPO warranty?

I brought it to a reputable auto body shop that I have seen around the forums and yelp reviews, but he is only an "Authorized" repair center. The authorized auto body quoted $10k of repair. Which is what I kind of expected, but still a bummer considering I wont be able to drive her for a few weeks and I just bought a MPE I was going to install!

Any help would be appreciated! San Diego area if anyone has any experience around here with repairs.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
f30nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 6MT/ E36 M3 5MT

Garage List
If their insurance is paying for it, might as well get it done at "BMW Authorized Repair Center" that is tied to a dealer.

Prior to having a BMW, I had a Mercedes that was in a collision. I forgot what its called, but it was tied to San Diego BMW, Mereceds, Audi ect.

Alpine White 12' F30 328i 6MT (SOLD)
Injen CAI | Bootmod3 Stage 1 | VRSF 5' Intercooler| Mishimoto Catch Can | 335i M Performance Exhaust | H&R Super Sports | HRE FF01 w/Hankook Ventus Evo2 | M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
ADrivingKoala
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30nick View Post
If their insurance is paying for it, might as well get it done at "BMW Authorized Repair Center" that is tied to a dealer.

Prior to having a BMW, I had a Mercedes that was in a collision. I forgot what its called, but it was tied to San Diego BMW, Mereceds, Audi ect.
That's true! Their insurance is paying for the repair so it couldn't hurt to tow it to another shop and get a second quote for the repair!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

I believe that when a car is repaired from a BMW Certified Repair Center, it gets a BMW certificate of repair, which helps with value. Also, OEM parts are pretty much a guarantee as is a nice paint job if needed...

That said, a really good body shop can do the same too, except without a certificate.
Appreciate 0