F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 3 Series (F30) seat rust issue causes owner to destroy car in protest!
GetBMWParts

12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #111
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Stupid.
What?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #112
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
What?
Taking your car apart looking for trouble that isn't trouble. I can understand getting upset if there's a problem that's visible and has an aesthetic impact (visible seat hinges), but all of this banter about the seat bottoms and now the dash brace is just beyond logical.

It's surface rust. It's NOT going to get worse. It's NOT going to compromise the integrity of the car or affect it's safety/functionality/longevity. People really need to stop getting all bent out of shape about these ridiculous nit picks. It's not doing anyone any good. And I can assure you BMW is not going to go out of their way to do anything about it. Especially if everyone uses "but I saw it on the internet" to support their claims. Sometimes you just need to leave well enough alone. Without a doubt, the steps necessary to correct this "problem" will cause far more issues than the original problem would have.

Get your seats fixed and live with the scratched leather and trim. Get your dash fixed and enjoy all of the rattles, loose connections, etc. that will inevitably follow.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #113
dax635
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330 Cd 2005

Quote:
Taking your car apart looking for trouble that isn't trouble. I can understand getting upset if there's a problem that's visible and has an aesthetic impact (visible seat hinges), but all of this banter about the seat bottoms and now the dash brace is just beyond logical.

It's surface rust. It's NOT going to get worse. It's NOT going to compromise the integrity of the car or affect it's safety/functionality/longevity. People really need to stop getting all bent out of shape about these ridiculous nit picks. It's not doing anyone any good. And I can assure you BMW is not going to go out of their way to do anything about it. Especially if everyone uses "but I saw it on the internet" to support their claims. Sometimes you just need to leave well enough alone. Without a doubt, the steps necessary to correct this "problem" will cause far more issues than the original problem would have.

Get your seats fixed and live with the scratched leather and trim. Get your dash fixed and enjoy all of the rattles, loose connections, etc. that will inevitably follow.
1000% Agree. You can see and imagine the profile of people who commented and woried about nonsense problem,and idiot that destroyed his car. I cant belive that this happening and exists.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #114
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:

First of all, go fuck yourself. I saw some other people had said they found a lot of rust within the HVAC systems, so I took the better part of 5 seconds to pop off the piece and snap a pic out of curiosity. I didn't see anything bad, but decided to contribute my picture in case anybody else was curious seeing as this was in a thread ABOUT RUST. The seats being rusted is just ridiculous and the rusted parts should be replaced.

Secondly, a brief browse of your comment history shows you are literally just complaining about people being stupid for wanting to do this or that. This is an internet forum about our cars, so if people see a potential problem or something they don't like, they talk about it with the hopes of resolving said issue or spreading around some knowledge. If you want to sit online and nitpick us instead of your car, I suggest you check out Reddit or 4chan where at least there is an expectation of worthless comments.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #115
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
First of all, go fuck yourself. I saw some other people had said they found a lot of rust within the HVAC systems, so I took the better part of 5 seconds to pop off the piece and snap a pic out of curiosity. I didn't see anything bad, but decided to contribute my picture in case anybody else was curious seeing as this was in a thread ABOUT RUST. The seats being rusted is just ridiculous and the rusted parts should be replaced.

Secondly, a brief browse of your comment history shows you are literally just complaining about people being stupid for wanting to do this or that. This is an internet forum about our cars, so if people see a potential problem or something they don't like, they talk about it with the hopes of resolving said issue or spreading around some knowledge. If you want to sit online and nitpick us instead of your car, I suggest you check out Reddit or 4chan where at least there is an expectation of worthless comments.
i'm a bmw tech and i usually don't see this issue because the frames are usually painted black. weird that they didn't do the same for this... maybe to save money.

lol at all these guys getting bent out of shape over some rust. every dash that i've taken out as shown rust on the dash support brackets. EVERY one.
      12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #116
PhantomCypher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari FF, Hellcat, Maserati

Can you guys update us on what the dealer says? If they're doing something I want to know so I can get this thing fixed asap!
      12-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #117
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123
So if I were to find rust, (which I will go and have a look shortly) what is the best course of action?
Ring dealer and have it replaced? Repaired?
Or wait until service and have it replaced? Or repaired?
Just enjoy your car. You could take pictures and send BMW a letter explaining that should the rust be a problem in the future that you will expect them to fix it. Furthermore, explain that you are willing to bring the car in to mitigate the issue at anytime.

Whatever you do, don't be the first on the block to get this issue repaired. They will most likely assign the most inexperienced tech to work on this issue whilst the other techs work on the higher revenue jobs.

Just document it, submit it to BMW and wait for their written response.

In the meantime, enjoy your ride!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #118
lewishamilton
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i SL MR

Brought my car in today for the FEM body recall related to the wiper issue. Told my SA about the rusting and they got back to me saying that it's "normal" and other cars also have it. Going to ask it make sure it's noted and some sort of formal complaint be sent back to HQ. Trying to remain calm and hoping that they'll issue an official SIB or recall later on.
Attached Images

12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #119
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

^^ I think I'd slam the table if my SA tells me that. Couple years old car with rust.....

Maybe rust is a niche market BMW tries to fulfill like Scott26 said repeatedly

Last edited by Robert; 12-05-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #120
lewishamilton
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i SL MR

Not even a year old! Did I accidentally buy an Hyundai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
^^ I think I'd slam the table if my SA tells me that. Couple years old car with rust.....

Maybe rust is a niche market BMW tries to fulfill like Scott26 said repeatedly
      12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #121
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrev View Post
i'm a bmw tech and i usually don't see this issue because the frames are usually painted black. weird that they didn't do the same for this... maybe to save money.

lol at all these guys getting bent out of shape over some rust. every dash that i've taken out as shown rust on the dash support brackets. EVERY one.
My E90 is raw metal. My wife's E90 is raw metal. Some of the rails are black, but the under seat frame is unfinished metal.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #122
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishamilton View Post
Brought my car in today for the FEM body recall related to the wiper issue. Told my SA about the rusting and they got back to me saying that it's "normal" and other cars also have it. Going to ask it make sure it's noted and some sort of formal complaint be sent back to HQ. Trying to remain calm and hoping that they'll issue an official SIB or recall later on.
How are you exposing the corner hinge? I've never seen one of those show like that? Are you pushing back the leather covers? Not that I want to do it, just curious...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #123
e679
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishamilton
Haha, will it be normal for a car to explode if the other exploded also?
I wouldn't take it as explanation.
I 'll take it as a manufacture trying to cut too much cost and earn too much profit, period. :
      12-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #124
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

first world problems
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #125
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:

first world problems

Last edited by mdosu; 12-05-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #126
monkawekrue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 AW

Garage List
damn makes me wonder.....
      12-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #127
hanman
BMW ENTHUSIAST
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA B5 View Post
oppa gangnam style
lol
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #128
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:

Nice.

Yep, I complain about idiocy. That's my thing. I also try to inject an ounce of reason here and there in amonst the hysteria.

Seriously, this whole thing is assanine. This isn't a cost cutting issue or any other BS. There's zero reason to paint a seat pan or a dash support. I've yet to come across a car that was painted.

There's so much posturing on principals on this forum it's becoming rather nauseating. Just because it's an $xxK car doesn't mean a damn thing. It's a car. I'll bet $10 a peak under the seat of a Bentley will reveal the same thing.

And FYI, you're not photographing your "HVAC system". That's your dash support...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #129
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

This isn't assinine.

It's a $50k car. I've driven Ford's and Mitsu's in my previous lives and have looked under and NEVER SEEN RUST!!!

I've spent way to much money to tolerate this level of poor QC.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #130
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

not good at all
      12-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #131
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbk View Post
shit, my car with sport seats have same trouble, all of it have serious rust . how can i fix it ?
theres nothing to fix

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #132
SwampCat84
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan

Well, Just checked mine and theres a whole lot of rust on the bottom of my seats.. havent checked anywhere else yet.. My car is all of a week and a half old... THERE SHOULDNT BE RUST IN IT! I paid $43,000 for this car... I have every right to be upset if it came with RUST in it! BMW will be replacing my seats or they can have their f**ing car back... I still have yet to pay $.01 for this car...

Appreciate 0