F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > First Servive, NO oil change!!!
Extreme Powerhouse

01-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

First Servive, NO oil change!!!

Hi everyone,
Just had my first service done, 2 months overdue in fact and approx 14,800kms on the car. The car is 15 months old now.
To my amazement they did not do an oil change even though the car was overdue for it's first service and the display was telling me to take it in.
They said it wasn't ready for an oil change and BMW won't let them do it.
I had a quiet chat to the authorised BMW mechanic on the side and he freely admitted to me that BMW are cutting corners on the oil and that they have a vested interest in our engines not lasting forever..read in to that what you will.
He also assured me that his own BMW gets the oil changed every 6 months, and he would not leave oil in a new car for over a year and 15k and beyond as is my case.
I now have no idea when i am supposed to change my oil...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I hear you. Like butter or cream..........if you leave oil too long it will go off.

For the reason you quoted, I was somewhat reluctant in taking the BMW 5 year service deal. I did in fact take up this deal to cover the various other filters that will require replacement.

I was told that you could not change the oil when you wanted without the reset button being activated on the car. But with further investigation, and chatting with my BMW service manager, it appears that you can change your oil at any time (but the oil change would be at your cost if the car did not indicate that it was necessary), however, if you pay for just an oil change you must insist that the service engineer does not reset the oil change period on the car. This is something my dealer has told me can be arranged. He mentioned that this is an Australia-wide agreement.

The oil change period on the car is governed by distance covered and also by time.
This means that over a 5 year period, if you have the oil changed once a year, BMW will likely pay for 2 oil changes and you would have to pay for the other 3 within this 5 year period. This is something I am prepared to live with for my own peace of mind.
      01-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
Hi everyone,
Just had my first service done, 2 months overdue in fact and approx 14,800kms on the car. The car is 15 months old now.
To my amazement they did not do an oil change even though the car was overdue for it's first service and the display was telling me to take it in.
They said it wasn't ready for an oil change and BMW won't let them do it.
I had a quiet chat to the authorised BMW mechanic on the side and he freely admitted to me that BMW are cutting corners on the oil and that they have a vested interest in our engines not lasting forever..read in to that what you will.
He also assured me that his own BMW gets the oil changed every 6 months, and he would not leave oil in a new car for over a year and 15k and beyond as is my case.
I now have no idea when i am supposed to change my oil...
Wow!! Really? No oil change? Seriously?
Sorry, only joking. Fully synthetic oil is supposed to last at least 20k kms, maybe 25k. Nothing to fret about, nothing to get excited about and certainly nothing to concern yourself about what the mechanic had to say. Does his BMW use 100% fully synthetic oil?

I call it absolute rubbish about what the mechanic said, but which engine lasts 'forever'? Then again, when have your read about BMW engines failing because the oil wasn't changed often enough? If things like that were true, it would be common knowledge about BMW engines not lasting as one would reasonably expect. BMW's heritage is built on engines.

This issue has been discussed on pretty much every car forum for years. Some say change the oils every 5000kms, 7.5k kms, 10k kms etc. Others will leave the oil and change it when scheduled. The choice is yours and yours alone. Whatever makes you feel most comfortable about your car.

If BMW service won't change your oil, you can do it yourself (don't forget the filter) or ask an independent to do it. They will most certainly oblige.

Now if you do have the oil changed and they show you how black it is and you then post a photo on this thread to show us how black it is, being black does not mean anything as to the state of the oil. It would need to be analysed and even then the results may be inconclusive unless you tear down the engine to see if there was engine damaged caused by the oil.

In fact, I have read on this site that one owner had the oil analysed and very fine metallic particles were found in the original oil. Didn't cause engine damage. Maybe it might if left long enough, maybe not. No one knows.

I have let the SSI tell me when to change the oil in my cars. I've had BMWs since 1992 without engine oil related issues. My current car's just over 10k kms and I'm not anywhere close to having to change the oil over. My previous car, E90 325i had its first engine oil change at around 20k kms. Issue free.

You choose. No right or wrong in this instance.
Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Wouldn't it potentially affect parts like oil pump etc David?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
Wouldn't it potentially affect parts like oil pump etc David?
Potentially, anything can happen, yes. However, has there ever been such a widespread BMW issue with engine oil and directly related engine damage in modern day models? I haven't read anything about it. Have you?

Sure, we've read about other widespread (some fairly serious) issues with the F30, but nothing with engine oil. My previous E90 used BMW branded Longlife (LL) oil as did my E46 and E36. BMW call it High Performance LL-01. There are a couple of other BMW LL oils such as LL-04 for low sulphur fuels as well. As they have been doing for a long time, BMW recommend Castrol oil.

Personally, I don't see it as anything to be at all concerned about if you car has been using the LL oil or equivalent.

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/10...205W-30%20.pdf
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.

Last edited by David328M-Sport; 01-24-2014 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

David, whilst I agree that for the masses it could be okay, I personally was unable to have my car serviced until close to 30000kms (another story altogether) and have now been driving a loaner for the last month, waiting for BMW to approve and ship out a new oil pump on a 30000km car.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

so when you say no oil change, my 320d is showing 1,800km until its service is due, it is also showing 1,800km until Oil change. They would have to change the oil at my service if the car is saying so, would they not?
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
pennektj
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Yes... If the car calls for it they will do it. The dealership wants to change your oil but can't bill bmw unless the car is due. If not the dealership could change your oil every 1000 miles and keep billing bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #9
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328I M-SPORT

Anyway I prefer to change every 10,000 with MOTUL 8100 X-MAX ll01 or ELF not to sure yet
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Do a service yourself if it makes you feel at ease. I know i did one at 40k before my 50k service. I think 15k km is the max i would use an oil before changing
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #11
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Found the "change oil" timer. It says in another 9000kms. So that'll make it at approx 24000kms..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #12
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

I personally do a mid cycle oil change for my past bmw's. For the f30 that will mean every 12500Km. Question will be if you don't use the same LL oil would it even last another 12500 until the dealer changes it.

My independent mechanic uses ELF synthetic usually.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

http://www.epicinter.net/some-people...automobiles/1/
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephanite View Post
The photos in the link are truely sickening!
Although I didn't need convincing, I will certainly continue my regime of doing oil changes regularly when I want to do them, regardless of when BMW tell me I need to do them.

The relatively small cost for an oil change for my own peace of mind is well worth it in my opinion.

BTW, read the article in the link about the Audi guy porting and polishing his engine with blasting sand - what a total moron!!
      01-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
Although I didn't need convincing, I will certainly continue my regime of doing oil changes regularly when I want to do them, regardless of when BMW tell me I need to do them.

The relatively small cost for an oil change for my own peace of mind is well worth it in my opinion.

BTW, read the article in the link about the Audi guy porting and polishing his engine with blasting sand - what a total moron!!
Same here. I tend to change oil about every 8000km, which is about 6 months use for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #16
Sephanite
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post

Lol yea I remember that post in the audi forum
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #17
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Update on engine oil in F3X cars. I spoke with Andrew from Southern BM and he suggested once a year oil & oil filter change. Too long an interval certainly caused engine problems on older cars.

Apparently, BMW have reduced the duration of oil services for more recent build F3X cars and states that BMW may be worried about too long an oil change service interval having a negative effect on the cars.

I believe it's more to do with customer backlash and owners having more frequent oil changes regardless of the SII time frame.

So, I'm considering taking my car to SBM to have an oil & oil filter change, contrary to my initial post. They charge just $295.00.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #18
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Update on engine oil in F3X cars. I spoke with Andrew from Southern BM and he suggested once a year oil & oil filter change. Too long an interval certainly caused engine problems on older cars.

Apparently, BMW have reduced the duration of oil services for more recent build F3X cars and states that BMW may be worried about too long an oil change service interval having a negative effect on the cars.

I believe it's more to do with customer backlash and owners having more frequent oil changes regardless of the SII time frame.

So, I'm considering taking my car to SBM to have an oil & oil filter change, contrary to my initial post. They charge just $295.00.
If you lived in Sydney, Ill do it for you for a six pack $295......... MY GOD
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #19
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAV-F30 View Post
If you lived in Sydney, Ill do it for you for a six pack $295......... MY GOD
How much is the oil & filter?
How do you dispose of the old oil?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:00 AM   #20
rjr058
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Filter is about $20, 5 litres of Castrol synthetic oil about $70 (BMW Castrol is $30 per litre). An independent BMW would charge about $160 for oil and filter change.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #21
GAV-F30
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
For my E90 filter was $20 oil I used Mobil 1 was around $70 to $80, My F30 is still around 1400kms so no oil change, will get MOTUL 8100 X-MAX

Old oil and filter I give to my mechanic friend.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr058 View Post
Filter is about $20, 5 litres of Castrol synthetic oil about $70 (BMW Castrol is $30 per litre). An independent BMW would charge about $160 for oil and filter change.
It's my independent who wants $295.00.
He uses LL-01 oil, which will up the price.
Is your filter BMW branded?
I'm asking another independent for a quote.

Thanks
Appreciate 0