F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trip to BMW service department Tomorrow!
GetBMWParts

08-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

I wonder when BMW is actually going to fix the issue, if it can be fixed.
      08-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I wonder when BMW is actually going to fix the issue, if it can be fixed.
Anyone with VSS-variable sport steering have this vibration issue?

If not, it helps point towards something in the standard steering rack, as the VSS has a different rack, or at least a different gear set in the rack.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by levente View Post
I have MSport 18's and the vibration is there. It is not terrible but you can see the steering wheel shake left to right at speeds of 40 to 60
Do you have the DH pkg. with variable sport steering?

Can you feel the steering wheel shake?
Any vibe sensation in the foot pedals?
Can you feel any vibe at your butt/seat?
Can you see any vibes at the passenger seat, like is the upper part shaking or the headrest?

Generally, vibes at the wheel indicate a front end vibration. Vibes in your seat, or passenger area tend to come from the rear end.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Anyone with VSS-variable sport steering have this vibration issue?

If not, it helps point towards something in the standard steering rack, as the VSS has a different rack, or at least a different gear set in the rack.
Pretty sure i have read about someone with VSS having this issue. I think its the same rack(steering box) just different ratios and gears. could be wrong on that tho.
      08-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
Firemedix911
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
Hi, my apologies also for this off-topic post but I can't seem to send you a PM either. I'm going to look at a car at Braman Miami tomorrow or Saturday. Any recommendations on a good sales rep to speak with out there? Looking for a 2012 335.

Thanks!
Sure man. Speak to Carlos Ayure. Very nice person. You can talk straight up with him. Also he's not bailed out after the sale.as a matter of fact he went with me to the service side and walked me in with his favorite service person. He'll look out for you. I've bought 2 BMW and my gf's boss has bought two as well. All with him and I'm very pleased I must say. Good luck. Tell him Alberto de Armas sent you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #28
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
I think we are thinking the same thing.

I have yet to hear of someone having a problem with the msport 18's but i am expecting it to be there

Oh well, 300horses and performance exhuast should help me forget about it
I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't notice any vibration in my car ('13 335i M Sport with 18s, DHP, Goodyear EfficientGrip tires) during my European Delivery trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #29
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

The anecdotal reports of problems are more common among those with a 328. There have been few claims of issues with the 335.

I have no credible, non-speculative reason as to why the difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #30
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL View Post
I'm headed in to have some things checked out.

#1: A.S.S. update. Car stalls everytime it kicks in now I would like to use it but I have almost been rear ended by anxious drivers 3 or 4 times now.

#2: Car pulls to the right, tire pressures are all correct and let the wheel go and it will change lanes for me. Only 3300 miles on the car and I havent even come close to hitting a pothole or curb.

#3: The one I'm most worried about, Steering wheel vibration between 40-60 mph. I dont know if I'm being picky, but I totally notice the wobble in the wheel when I have one hand on it and it drives me nuts!

#4: Heated Seats, build sheet and sticker show heated seats and they arent there, no buttons to turn them on at least, I'm not to worried since I'm in Phoenix and they would get used only in the winter for a short time to warm up the seats, but if I'm paying for them I would like to have them. Also will help in the future with resale value.

Well that's the list, I hope BMW is able to help me out with these. I totally love my car so far and hope the experience continues.
OK so here is the verdict after today's visit:

#1, software was in need of update and that has been taken care of. Hope not to see A.S.S. stall out anymore.

#2, "Is this your first BMW?" I reply "Yes", Tech: "Well we tend to see this with new BMW drivers, the car will track the road depending on how it is set for drainage" Me: "Oh".

Needless to say they did check tire balance and alignment and everything was correct. So for now I guess I'll deal with it.

#3, on test drive with Tech, little to no noticeable vibration, of course, go to the doctor and nothing is wrong. At least there is documentation that I mentioned it.

#4, The heated seats, My service adviser in all his 11 years with BMW has never seen a factory coded option never make it into the car, UNTIL today! Glad I could be the first. Nice thing is, it seems the seats are heated, but the AC controller in the dash is incorrect, they used the wrong part and now its on order from Germany. Should be here in about 2 weeks.

So I guess it was a fairly successful trip to the dealer. And I should be back there in about 2-3 weeks when the parts come in from Germany.

** On a side note, they gave me a 2012 328 "base" line for my loaner. The car was similar but the creature comforts just weren't there, I understand it was a loaner but it made me miss my car immediately. The most uncomfortable part of it was the steering wheel, it felt cheap and rubbery and really small. But I'm not knocking those that have 328's not at all, the car was still very quick on the acceleration and easy and fun to drive (on 17"s) It gave me a chance to see what it was like without a specific "line" Those added features sure do make a difference.

Thanks to those that have been apart of this thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Does your base model loaner have steering wheel vibration?
      08-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #32
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemedix911 View Post
Sure man. Speak to Carlos Ayure. Very nice person. You can talk straight up with him. Also he's not bailed out after the sale.as a matter of fact he went with me to the service side and walked me in with his favorite service person. He'll look out for you. I've bought 2 BMW and my gf's boss has bought two as well. All with him and I'm very pleased I must say. Good luck. Tell him Alberto de Armas sent you.
Fantastic, thanks! Didn't make it out there today but plan to go tomorrow. Perfect timing, I'll let him know you referred me to him.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
levente
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport

Quote:
Do you have the DH pkg. with variable sport steering?

Can you feel the steering wheel shake?
Any vibe sensation in the foot pedals?
Can you feel any vibe at your butt/seat?
Can you see any vibes at the passenger seat, like is the upper part shaking or the headrest?

Generally, vibes at the wheel indicate a front end vibration. Vibes in your seat, or passenger area tend to come from the rear end.
I do not have DH pkg with variable sport steering.
I can feel and see the steering wheel shake.
No seat or foot pedal vibration as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure i have read about someone with VSS having this issue. I think its the same rack(steering box) just different ratios and gears. could be wrong on that tho.
True, but those changes could make a difference as they are a big part of the rack.

Interesting question though, is the VSS a different rack altogether?
I'm sure it has a different part number.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The most uncomfortable part of it was the steering wheel, it felt cheap and rubbery and really small.

That's interesting.
By "small" do you mean thickness?
The base 3 has the largest diameter steering wheel. You can see this even in the pictures. I had a base 328i loaner and the wheel feels larger in diameter, but hopelessly thin.
Lux, modern, and sport all have the same wheel, which is slightly smaller in diameter compared to the base model.
The Msport wheel is about the same diameter as the other lines.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #36
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
The most uncomfortable part of it was the steering wheel, it felt cheap and rubbery and really small.

That's interesting.
By "small" do you mean thickness?
The base 3 has the largest diameter steering wheel. You can see this even in the pictures. I had a base 328i loaner and the wheel feels larger in diameter, but hopelessly thin.
Lux, modern, and sport all have the same wheel, which is slightly smaller in diameter compared to the base model.
The Msport wheel is about the same diameter as the other lines.
Yeah the diameter. When I drove my car home it just seemed more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #37
unibrowser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Yeah the diameter. When I drove my car home it just seemed more comfortable.
I drove a base model loaner for 24 hours while my car was prepped when I first bought it and I had the same experience! I couldn't wait to get back into my car. The base model felt like an entirely different car - much more basic interior boring overall to drive... sort of like a nicer Jetta or something. A lot of the "BMW driving experience" was missing - if that makes any sense.
      08-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #38
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
There is no fix for the steering wheel vibration. i am in the process of getting my 328 replaced due to the vibration and am getting a 335. i was hoping not many 335's would have the issue but i am hearing of the. The vibration isnt horrible and is hard to feel, its more a visual vibration but it's there.

Which rims do you have? the 18's?
Wow! You were the biggest 328i fan. Back to the 335i? Just because of the steering?

Good luck with your new one. Im loving my 335i, but was thinking 328i next. Im most likely going to purchase my 335i when lease is up, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #39
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Quote:
True, but those changes could make a difference as they are a big part of the rack.

Interesting question though, is the VSS a different rack altogether?
I'm sure it has a different part number.
According to realoem there are a number of different part numbers for steering racks.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post
Wow! You were the biggest 328i fan. Back to the 335i? Just because of the steering?

Good luck with your new one. Im loving my 335i, but was thinking 328i next. Im most likely going to purchase my 335i when lease is up, though.
Still am. 328 is a great car. Somehow it worked out that i can get 335 with msport and all the ffeatures i want, plus performance exhaust and black grills for less money than i am paying on my 328 a month. so i said what the hell.

But yea, 328 is a ton of car, if not for the vibrating steering wheel(which i wont be surprised if my new 335 has it) i love the 328.
      08-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #41
Gel214th
Private
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red BMW 328i sport

I have a slight vibration through the pedals at low revs and low speeds. The engine seems to...well... buzz is the only way to describe it and I feel the vibration. Once the car gets going that all disappears.

I thought it was just the way the car works.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #42
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

As of this morning, my car has 224 miles on it and I have felt the steering wheel vibration as well. What's weird is that I didn't notice it until halfway home yesterday. I take surface streets so most of my commute is between 40-60mph. I was in the middle of a sweeping turn when I noticed it. After that, it was constant at those speeds the whole way home. Mine is very slight but there for sure. Feels exactly like a tire out of balance. My car is a 328i Sportline w/ 18" 397 wheels shod with Continentals.

There is also something rolling around in my drivers door. I can hear it roll back and forth on acceleration and deceleration. Also, when I shut my door it's there. I think I'm going to wait until break in is finished before taking it in, just in case the techs want to "replicate" the situation.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #43
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Just took my car in to have the steering vibration issue documented. Their attempt to fix the vibration was to perform a road force balance and couldn't get one of the wheels to balance and they blamed the tire. A new tire has been ordered in attempt to correct the vibration.
      08-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #44
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeaF30 View Post
Just took my car in to have the steering vibration issue documented. Their attempt to fix the vibration was to perform a road force balance and couldn't get one of the wheels to balance and they blamed the tire. A new tire has been ordered in attempt to correct the vibration.
i would be shocked if that fixes it