F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 330E engine does not turn off at low speeds
Studio RSR

02-13-2023, 04:29 AM   #1
fakepc
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330E

330E engine does not turn off at low speeds

hi guys, i got a 2016 330e last year with 40k kms and everything was great. Usually when I drive in traffic, the engine will shut off to use the hybrid. But recently, when I drive around in traffic, the engine stays on and in use.
Hence when I arrive home, my hybrid battery is always full. Is this common?
Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:08 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakepc View Post
hi guys, i got a 2016 330e last year with 40k kms and everything was great. Usually when I drive in traffic, the engine will shut off to use the hybrid. But recently, when I drive around in traffic, the engine stays on and in use.
Thanks in advanced!
Could it be something as simple as the Battery Control being set to a high target value?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:32 AM   #3
fakepc
Rep

Hi, how do I check that?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:39 AM   #4
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Could it be something as simple as the Battery Control being set to a high target value?
This is not something you can set, at least not in the car itself. Maybe through ISTA or something, but I doubt OP messed with those values.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:42 AM   #5
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakepc View Post
Thanks in advanced!
I've had a similar issue twice now. For some strange reason, with my car it happens after I perform an oil level check. After that, I have the same problem as you: the engine just keeps running and it doesn't use the electric motor. I started a thread for it to see if other people have the same issue.
I've fixed the issue both times by just clearing the error codes. You can do that with a code reader that plugs into your OBD2 port, or with ISTA if you have that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:45 AM   #6
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Sometimes when the outside temperature is too low (below 0 °C or so), the car also keeps the engine running because the hybrid battery is too cold. But seeing you're located in Malaysia I don't think that's the problem here
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:56 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian204 View Post
This is not something you can set, at least not in the car itself. Maybe through ISTA or something, but I doubt OP messed with those values.
Don't you have this control in your model. (F30 User Manual)

Quote:
A certain charge state of the high-voltage battery can be maintained or increased with BATTERY CONTROL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:07 AM   #8
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Don't you have this control in your model. (F30 User Manual)
The F30 doesn't have that button. We have an eDrive button that allows the user to switch between AUTO eDRIVE, MAX eDRIVE and SAVE.
My manual also states that a certain charge state of the high-voltage battery can be maintained or increased with SAVE BATTERY, but it doen't mention anything about setting a target value, like in the image you attached. That's a feature that wasn't implemented until the G20/21, although you'd expect that that's something that could be easily implemented in the F30 with a simple software update...
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2023, 08:19 AM   #9
fakepc
Rep

Quote:
I've had a similar issue twice now. For some strange reason, with my car it happens after I perform an oil level check. After that, I have the same problem as you: the engine just keeps running and it doesn't use the electric motor. I started a thread for it to see if other people have the same issue.
I've fixed the issue both times by just clearing the error codes. You can do that with a code reader that plugs into your OBD2 port, or with ISTA if you have that.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll try that tomorrow. Currently no errors in my idrive though.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:34 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The F30 doesn't have that button. We have an eDrive button that allows the user to switch between AUTO eDRIVE, MAX eDRIVE and SAVE.
My manual also states that a certain charge state of the high-voltage battery can be maintained or increased with SAVE BATTERY, but it doen't mention anything about setting a target value, like in the image you attached. That's a feature that wasn't implemented until the G20/21, although you'd expect that that's something that could be easily implemented in the F30 with a simple software update...
Understand... So if you are running SAVE Battery @ ~100%, doesn't that prevent using EV until you disable SAVE Battery?

Only guessing here, but could that be the issue? A fault, or defaulting to that mode?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:43 AM   #11
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Understand... So if you are running SAVE Battery @ ~100%, doesn't that prevent using EV until you disable SAVE Battery?

Only guessing here, but could that be the issue? A fault, or defaulting to that mode?
I get what you mean. But I don't think that's the issue, because even with this issue present (if his problem is the same as mine), when you turn the car on, it always starts off in electric mode because AUTO eDrive is the standard setting. You can then drive until the hybrid battery is empty, you've exceeded the max electric speed, or you request too much power from the car to handle for the electric motor alone. The problem here is that the engine never turns off by itself after one of those conditions is met. It could be that once the engine turns on, the car defaults to SAVE mode, but that would not match with what's shown on the screen, cause with my car the screen still shows I'm in AUTO mode.

The fact that OP arrives home with a full battery is probably because the car meets one of the conditions to turn the engine on pretty early on in his journey.

fakepc could you confirm that when you turn the car on, it starts off in electric mode? If your car turns the engine on after you've pressed the start button, but your battery is still relatively full, you have a somewhat different problem than I have.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 08:49 AM   #12
fakepc
Rep

Quote:
I get what you mean. But I don't think that's the issue, because even with this issue present (if his problem is the same as mine), when you turn the car on, it always starts off in electric mode because AUTO eDrive is the standard setting. You can then drive until the hybrid battery is empty, you've exceeded the max electric speed, or you request too much power from the car to handle for the electric motor alone. The problem here is that the engine never turns off by itself after one of those conditions is met. It could be that once the engine turns on, the car defaults to SAVE mode, but that would not match with what's shown on the screen, cause with my car the screen still shows I'm in AUTO mode.

The fact that OP arrives home with a full battery is probably because the car meets one of the conditions to turn the engine on pretty early on in his journey.

fakepc could you confirm that when you turn the car on, it starts off in electric mode? If your car turns the engine on after you've pressed the start button, but your battery is still relatively full, you have a somewhat different problem than I have.

I think we have a similar problem.. my car is always on auto hybrid mode and my car starts in electric. When I exceed the max electric speed limit or anything that turns on the engine, after those conditions arent met (eg i go back to under the max electric speed limit) the engine should turn off and go back to electric but it doesn’t. Might be because i went outstation for 2 days and did not charge my car for 2 days, when i came home and charged it full this happened. Today when I drove to work as usual it seemed to be fine.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #13
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Looks like we have exactly the same problem then. So your car started to work normally again by itself? You didn't have to clear any fault codes or anything?
Maybe there's some error that will trigger the engine start-stop to be disabled, and if you leave it for long enough, something will reset and the car will 'realise' that there's nothing wrong and go back to normal.
Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for that. I cleared the codes after 2 days and that immediately fixed the issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 10:23 PM   #14
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Try it in ECO mode instead of Comfort. You can code it to default on start up to ECO.

Now that I did that, my ICE never starts unless I want it to. Only on very cold days, or when the traction battery is low, does the ICE start automatically. Unless I want it too.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0