F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Will they improve the Auto start stop?
GetBMWParts

09-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #23
jbbrann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 45e + '23 M240i

I do think ASS is somewhat improved on the 2013 models. I also find it to be much smoother on my 335 than any of the 328s that I test drove.

As an aside, the European traffic signals that go yellow before green were great for ASS. When the light goes yellow, release the brake, and you're in business by the time the light turns green. Miss that in the states.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

I do agree, I have a loaner '13 320i right now and the ASS is smoother than the '12 328i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrann View Post
I do think ASS is somewhat improved on the 2013 models. I also find it to be much smoother on my 335 than any of the 328s that I test drove.

As an aside, the European traffic signals that go yellow before green were great for ASS. When the light goes yellow, release the brake, and you're in business by the time the light turns green. Miss that in the states.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #25
Latinnftl
Rep
Drives: MY 13 328i Mineral Grey

My last car was a Prius and so I can tell you for sure I appreciate and commend the continued development of systems and technology that not only improved fuel efficiency for the sake of the environment but also for the positive impact on my wallet. Having said that the ASS system as it currently exists and operates is not ready for prime time. It can be very jerky and noticeable. My car is at the moment being re programmed. I encourage folks to try ASS (smirking aside) and then decide. At least now there's an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
In their first drive of the 2013 Ford Fusion, Motor Trend specifically called out BMW to take notice of the implementation of start/stop in the Fusion. Hopefully BMW will continue to improve the system.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_first_test/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #27
mdcubsfan
Rep
Drives: Honda

another question on ASS - I have been using it during this break in period of my new 2013, and I feel like it always starts on its own after just a little while - I live in Texas and it's hot so the AC is constantly running, but just seems strange that at a 1 minute red light the system will turn itself and the engine back on in 15-20 seconds

anything other way to tweak it?

I've tried stepping on and depressing the brakes almost as hard as I can, but in regards to the earlier post in this forum re: AC, makes a lot of sense why it's still restarting on its own so quickly.....
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
achopra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i MSport

I am a really impatient driver and have absolutely no problem with the ASS on my 2013...
The 2012 I test drove before was very jerky

2020 G30 M550i ED on Sep 10, 2019
2016 F80 M3 ED on Jun 6, 2016
2013 F30 335i MSport ED on Aug 27, 2012 (Gone!)
2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK 350 (Gone!)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
kppanic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
another question on ASS - I have been using it during this break in period of my new 2013, and I feel like it always starts on its own after just a little while - I live in Texas and it's hot so the AC is constantly running, but just seems strange that at a 1 minute red light the system will turn itself and the engine back on in 15-20 seconds

anything other way to tweak it?

I've tried stepping on and depressing the brakes almost as hard as I can, but in regards to the earlier post in this forum re: AC, makes a lot of sense why it's still restarting on its own so quickly.....
It's supposed to be turning on. When the cabin temperature reaches a certain point especially with the air conditioning on, the engine will turn on again to get the AC compressor going. One way around this is to have the fans turned off but if it's too hot it won't help.
      09-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I get the same thing. With the A/C on, the engine restarts on it's own after about 20-30 seconds depending on how hot is is outside.

Engine restarts due to A/C load seem to be really rough, the whole front of the car shakes. It's much rougher than even starting the car cold. I have no idea why.

The normal foot-off-the-brake restarts are much smoother after the car got the software update last month.

For now, I'm leaving ASS off when I have the A/C on. I'll turn ASS back on on once it starts cooling down here.

I'm also going to mention this rough restart on A/C again to the SA when I take it in next. It's not a big deal to just leave ASS off for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

You're lucky enough to need A/C. It's bloody crap weather here. Cold, miserable and just ... grey. We did have 4 days of sunshine this summer though so I suppose we ought to be grateful
      09-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #32
cavm335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i GC MPPSK

After the last code update the auto start/stop on my 2012 335i is much improved. It has not stalled once, and it's smoother to start. It's still a bit rough when it starts back up due to AC when the brake is still applied - but when i'm ready to just go - it kind of just lunges forward smoothly. Also now I can push the gear changer over to sport mode if I don't want it to kick in or if I want to pre-start it at a light that is about to change. Go get a code update!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #33
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinnftl
My last car was a Prius and so I can tell you for sure I appreciate and commend the continued development of systems and technology that not only improved fuel efficiency for the sake of the environment but also for the positive impact on my wallet. Having said that the ASS system as it currently exists and operates is not ready for prime time. It can be very jerky and noticeable. My car is at the moment being re programmed. I encourage folks to try ASS (smirking aside) and then decide. At least now there's an option.
What? You went from a Prius to a 328i? Isn't that like a reformed alcoholic suddenly giving it all up and going on a 36 month bender?

So, during the time you were driving the Prius, how many hours did you spend yapping about others' carbon footprint?

Now, I want you to confess right here and tell the class you are a hypocrite.

Mkay? On 3:

Ready: 1......2.......3
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
What an extremely narrow minded view
Oh, like the platform embraced on this forum that says if the car isn't a 335i and isn't a Sport line and isn't an MT it's not worthy of the BMW roundel? Hypocrisy much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post

There are some very ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic people over the pond who think that their narrow view of what a BMW should be should dictate a global brand like BMW. Thankfully they're the minority, not only in the world but even in their own country
Think again. I'm the majority, bub. And since we Americans buy about 100x the amount of BMW's that are sold in the UK we most certainly have a lot of say as to what the new 3 Series looks and feels like. It's bigger, wider, longer, softer, more sumptuous, the Luxury line, the default to Comfort mode, quite a bit different than the tiny E36 and it's ancient relatives. No longer the sport-sedan it was pretending to be. Now embraced as the status-symbol luxury car for yuppies that some were ashamed to admit it was. It's finally an honest car.

As for ASS, they don't sell in America. While everyone would be pleased for emissions to reduce and gas prices to become more affordable, no one wants the inconvenience of doing anything about it. I've already acquiesced on a 4 cylinder motor, already spent a premium for it's great city/highway mileage, that's enough. Not interested in having a car that shuts itself off whenever it feels like it so I can get t-boned by a truck that's belching soot into the sky. Not happening.

If you truly cared about saving money on gas, you wouldn't purchase a $50,000 luxury car. If you truly cared about the environment, you'd take the bus. The F30 isn't the target audience for ASS nonsense.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #35
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
Quote:
What an extremely narrow minded view
Oh, like the platform embraced on this forum that says if the car isn't a 335i and isn't a Sport line and isn't an MT it's not worthy of the BMW roundel? Hypocrisy much?

Quote:

There are some very ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic people over the pond who think that their narrow view of what a BMW should be should dictate a global brand like BMW. Thankfully they're the minority, not only in the world but even in their own country
Think again. I'm the majority, bub. And since we Americans buy about 100x the amount of BMW's that are sold in the UK we most certainly have a lot of say as to what the new 3 Series looks and feels like. It's bigger, wider, longer, softer, more sumptuous, the Luxury line, the default to Comfort mode, quite a bit different than the tiny E36 and it's ancient relatives. No longer the sport-sedan it was pretending to be. Now embraced as the status-symbol luxury car for yuppies that some were ashamed to admit it was. It's finally an honest car.

As for ASS, they don't sell in America. While everyone would be pleased for emissions to reduce and gas prices to become more affordable, no one wants the inconvenience of doing anything about it. I've already acquiesced on a 4 cylinder motor, already spent a premium for it's great city/highway mileage, that's enough. Not interested in having a car that shuts itself off whenever it feels like it so I can get t-boned by a truck that's belching soot into the sky. Not happening.

If you truly cared about saving money on gas, you wouldn't purchase a $50,000 luxury car. If you truly cared about the environment, you'd take the bus. The F30 isn't the target audience for ASS nonsense.

BJ

NEW POST

To the contrary, the very BMW yuppies you speak of are indeed the target audience for ASS.

That do-nothing-except-increase-wear-and-risk ASS is exactly the chill pill these yuppies want so they can claim they did their part to save the environment.

Never before has such a stupid idea been win/win for the manufacturers that will sell more cars since the old ones won't last as long up to and including the stupid people this stupid idea pacifies.

Especially when you hear the horror stories of unintended stalls and failed restarts.

But, I have to admit, I am just as stupid as everyone else that claims ASS is a benefit because I leave it on in my wife's car simply because I was too stupid to remember to turn it off.

Have no fear. Darwin is sure to rid the world of the likes of me and my kind when we go to make that immediate left turn and there is no thrust available due to a failed relight of the motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #36
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

BJ

OMG what a F***wit

In europe a BMW is just 'a car' it isn't a "$50,000 luxury car"....it is just 'a car'. Maybe in the US it is percieved to be 'Luxury', but that is merely a reflection of your local car company offerings.

As for market size, the North America is 21% of BMW's sales (Yes that's right including Canada), the UK alone is 11% (with less than a quarter the US population). Europe buys over 50% of the BMW's.....so get your facts straight. UK and Germany alone buy over 30% of BMW's so if you want to know who 'pulls the strings' there you have it.

Out of your earlier post the thing that stood out for me was how you view your own wife. Obviously she is so inferior to the mighty you that she is incapable of driving a brand new BMW with ASS. Poor woman deserves a medal.

Enjoy your d*ck extension 'luxury' BMW. TW4T!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #37
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

BJ, ASS isn't some hippy thing to save the planet. I genuinely think you're viewing it in the wrong light. You seem to imply that the ASS affects the purchasing decision of your average buyer since you say things like "If you truly cared about saving money on gas, you wouldn't purchase a $50,000 luxury car." Well that's just patently silly. If your car is stationary, why would you want it to cost you money doing nothing? It's just a sensible decision to implement a technology that means you're not wasting energy. It's not about getting better mpg and it's not about gren issues in most people's eyes. If the 3 series didn't have ASS, I bet we'd have ALL still bought one. But the fact that when I'm in traffic, my car no longer sits there pissing money down the drain for absolutely no reason is just logical.

I honestly don't see what the big fuss is all about. It's no different from turning the lights out when you leave a room. Do you leave all the lights on in your house because it's a minor inconvenience for you to flick the light switch when you enter a room?

Last edited by MaestroAl; 09-27-2012 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: fixed BBCode
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #38
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl
BJ, ASS isn't some hippy thing to save the planet. I genuinely think you're viewing it in the wrong light. You seem to imply that the ASS affects the purchasing decision of your average buyer since you say things like "If you truly cared about saving money on gas, you wouldn't purchase a $50,000 luxury car." Well that's just patently silly. If your car is stationary, why would you want it to cost you money doing nothing? It's just a sensible decision to implement a technology that means you're not wasting energy. It's not about getting better mpg and it's not about gren issues in most people's eyes. If the 3 series didn't have ASS, I bet we'd have ALL still bought one. But the fact that when I'm in traffic, my car no longer sits there pissing money down the drain for absolutely no reason is just logical.

I honestly don't see what the big fuss is all about. It's no different from turning the lights out when you leave a room. Do you leave all the lights on in your house because it's a minor inconvenience for you to flick the light switch when you enter a room?
Yep, BMW wants you to think that ASS is no different than turning the lights on and off in your house.

But, the last time I looked at an incandescent bulb, it did not have a motor, a cooling system, an ignition system, a battery, and an alternator.

So, I believe your analogy fails on the fact that in order to have any analogy, you must be dealing with an analog.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #39
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah but who still uses incandescent bulbs in the 21st Century?

The analogy still stands. Every time you switch a light on, you shorten its lifespan. And so what if a bulb doesn't have a motor, a cooling system, an ignition system, a battery, and an alternator? Your implication is that those things are going to fail because of the ASS system. You have no evidence to back up that claim and yet are making said claim vehemently.

Maybe you're just ideologically afraid of anything that's a good idea that might ... just might ... have green credentials?

But as long as you're happy that you are holding your hand up to be one of the "very ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic people over the pond ... [who are] thankfully ... the minority" then to each their own. Obviously you're cleverer than the BMW engineers who designed the system because they foolishly think their car can cope with it whereas you know better and think it will fall apart. Kudos to you.

Last edited by MaestroAl; 09-27-2012 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Had more to day :-P
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #40
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
NEW POST

To the contrary, the very BMW yuppies you speak of are indeed the target audience for ASS.

That do-nothing-except-increase-wear-and-risk ASS is exactly the chill pill these yuppies want so they can claim they did their part to save the environment.

Never before has such a stupid idea been win/win for the manufacturers that will sell more cars since the old ones won't last as long up to and including the stupid people this stupid idea pacifies.

Especially when you hear the horror stories of unintended stalls and failed restarts.

But, I have to admit, I am just as stupid as everyone else that claims ASS is a benefit because I leave it on in my wife's car simply because I was too stupid to remember to turn it off.

Have no fear. Darwin is sure to rid the world of the likes of me and my kind when we go to make that immediate left turn and there is no thrust available due to a failed relight of the motor.
We sort of say that half-jokingly, but truth is someone's wife is going to die because of a routine left turn and its going to be needless and tragic.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #41
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

I absolutely love you guys from the UK. (no sarcasm, you think like me.) Keep it up. But be warned last time I called a guy out as being a moron I was banned for 2 months. They have no sense of humor here.

Last edited by Mrcarcrazy; 09-27-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #42
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I don't care to do anything for the environment, don't want it thrust upon me.

If I can save a few dollars by exerting no effort, I'll take the savings.

I turn off the lights in my home because it's inconvenient to frequently change the bulbs.

ASS is dangerous and a disingenuous marketing ploy.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #43
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I don't care to do anything for the environment, don't want it thrust upon me.

I turn off the lights in my home because it's inconvenient to frequently change the bulbs.

ASS is dangerous and a disingenuous marketing ploy.

BJ
As I said before BJ, this isn't an environmental issue. It's just pure logical sense. Switch the motor off when you don't need power.

And where's your evidence that it is dangerous and what is disingenuous about BMW's marketing of ASS?

Quote:
And that's is precisely what BMW is offering you with ASS.

You are a confused and conflicted person, I think
      09-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #44
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
OMG what a F***wit

In europe a BMW is just 'a car' it isn't a "$50,000 luxury car"....it is just 'a car'. Maybe in the US it is percieved to be 'Luxury', but that is merely a reflection of your local car company offerings.
In the US, the 3 series is just a car as well, there are tons of them on the road, not a big deal to own one. As you can see, some people tend think they are driving around in something special, perhaps its from their Superiority complex.
Appreciate 0