F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP engine EXPLODED
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #133
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

this. thread. is. rediculous.

OP seems unexperienced with tuning cars and should have done some more research before modifying his car.

If this were me first thing I would do is have the car shipped to a reputable aftermarket shop and have them remove all aftermarket parts and clear codes. Call my lawyer. Deny deny deny. and get myself a new engine.
      09-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #134
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline View Post
I've a DP and JB4 running map 7 with 50/50 e85 mix without any issues for about 6 months. I dyno'd at 360ft/lbs with this setup which by some is dangerous, again "0" issues so far.

I am still a very conservative driver on a daily basis. I use the power when it's needed and on occasional spirited driving.

Seraphblade,
I would be interested in getting to know your meth setup. I am considering this as my next power mod. If you could PM me, that would be great.

BTW, my company has a facility in SG in Jurong West.

Just like a CPU every engine is built although same specs will have different margins for error, when you "overclock" or in this case tune/ mod your engine, some engines can be tuned to handle higher lbs of torque than others. OP just happened to have an engine that can't handle that much power. Like a CPU you can definitely kill your engine as well only it's $25k worth instead of a $350 CPU. It's nice when you get extra power for cheap, but when you need to shell out that much money to replace your engine because of a cheap tune let me know is it worth it? Probably not, I was about to order my JB4 as well, but after seeing this could happen to me I'd rather spend a little more to have warranty and peace of mind. I am not bashing on the tune, it's good, but obviously BMW did find a way to see that you messed with the software.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #135
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

OP, is it possible you ran over something that may have damaged the oil pan?
      10-15-2014, 05:12 AM   #136
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhercoso View Post
Since BMW is gonna charge me $25k to get another engine, I've been considering an engine swap. Has anyone swapped out an n20/n26 motor yet? So far the motors I've been considering are the n54, v8 m3 motor, or an ls1. Would definitely appreciate some recommendations on which of the motors to use and any shops that may be willing to perform an motor swap.
OP, how about an update on your case?
You've started the thread with a cry for HELP, but you've been leaving us alone for three month without news!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #137
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Do an LS1 swap.. It really shouldn't be too hard with all of the aftermarket support. Just leave the BMW electronics alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #138
Yehia osman
Private
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

I did have that drive train malfunction too . Took the car to the dealer they said it was a wiring problem and they fixed it . But had no explosion.My car is stock so i dont think the tune is the reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #139
Asterix
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20 Msport

Got my engine changed at 28000 km , no tune. Brought the car to the dealer after identifying a small whistling with intensity linked to engine rev.
Initially I've thought about turbo malfunction. The dealer has checked all external organs to finally end up opening the engine and discover metal particles on the magnet located inside the engine .
Engine changed without discussion just before warranty expired ouf!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #140
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Got my engine changed at 28000 km , no tune. Brought the car to the dealer after identifying a small whistling with intensity linked to engine rev.
Initially I've thought about turbo malfunction. The dealer has checked all external organs to finally end up opening the engine and discover metal particles on the magnet located inside the engine .
Engine changed without discussion just before warranty expired ouf!
Sichhher nööööt mon! Des isch eis grossi schiiis haha or something like that, min schwizer dutsch ist rusty :-p

Please try to find out more bout this! My two years passed yesterday and I've done only 40 000 km. I came straigth from an engine replacement on my E90, traded in and ordered this one.. it's been hassle free till this day (*knock on wood*), and Ive done everything "right" to extend its life; proper break-in, extra oil changes at 15000 km'sm, never rev when cold, alwaysblet it idle a bit before turning off ignition or before taking off, only use 98 octane etc etc etc. Bought the car and intend to keep it for many years to come, I aint got time for shit like this

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #141
TractionControl=OFF
Banned
Rep
Drives: XP-38 (F30) Landspeeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
Sichhher nööööt mon! Des isch eis grossi schiiis haha or something like that, min schwizer dutsch ist rusty :-p

Please try to find out more bout this! My two years passed yesterday and I've done only 40 000 km. I came straigth from an engine replacement on my E90, traded in and ordered this one.. it's been hassle free till this day (*knock on wood*), and Ive done everything "right" to extend its life; proper break-in, extra oil changes at 15000 km'sm, never rev when cold, alwaysblet it idle a bit before turning off ignition or before taking off, only use 98 octane etc etc etc. Bought the car and intend to keep it for many years to come, I aint got time for shit like this
these cars feel like they are built to last 5 years then bust, they are throw aways now. The illuminati wants it this way.

Last edited by TractionControl=OFF; 10-21-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #142
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Im surprised so many people on here are suggesting to lie and even to go to court and lie under oath.

IMO, you mod your motor you risk paying for it, pay to play as they say.

However, telling the truth but challenging BMW to prove the tune caused the damage is fair game.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #143
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControl=OFF View Post
these cars feel like they are built to last 5 years then bust, they are throw aways now. The illuminati wants it this way.
Thats what I hope will NOT be the case so f*ck illuminati, they can shove their pyramid way up there

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0