F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Are low profile run flat tyres incompatible with UK roads ?
ARMA SPEED

02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You can fit non run-flats on the OEM EH2 (extended hump) rims. They are shaped to give added security to the RFT in the zero pressure condition, so do enhance security on a non run-flat as well.

HighlandPete
Thanks Pete, that's great news. Oh dear, more money to spend ... :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Got this little fekker down the road from me... over a foot long and been there for weeks!

All too common and damned annoying in the car, but on the motorbike...

You can supposedly report them online if it makes you feel any better - West Sussex has a site here http://love.westsussex.gov.uk/Reports
Rob, that's not a pot hole at all, old chap. It's a dinosaur footprint and you're screwed with the council, as there's a special exclusion clause for dinosaur footprints.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Not always possible !
Uh... Yes it is.

If you're driving without forward vision then your a very poor driver and only dealing with hazards and conditions once your on top of them; I.E. too late.
This is contributory to most accidents I have dealt with; not looking far enough ahead or scanning for hazards (including road condition AKA potholes!), no planning and no adaptation to changing circumstances... But before i go completely off topic lets return to runflats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
I'm giving serious thought to doing just that. What bugs me is the cost - I'd probably fit Michelin Pilot Super Sports and that would set me back a grand for the four :-(

Could be worth it though.

Does anyone know if there is any issue putting non-RFTs on RFT rims?
Remember the return on selling 4 brand new runflat tyres as you'll not need them so may as well subsidise your costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Got this little fekker down the road from me... over a foot long and been there for weeks!

All too common and damned annoying in the car, but on the motorbike...

You can supposedly report them online if it makes you feel any better - West Sussex has a site here http://love.westsussex.gov.uk/Reports
Rob that looks pretty bad! Similar to many of the roads about here!

Do take the time to report them if the councils provide a way of doing so. Helps them to keep track of the condition of the roads without having to rely on their surveys alone and also if reported and not repaired or marked for repair if the worst happened and you need a new tyre and 19" rim (like happened to a friend) it's all evidence of some liability and you can sometimes get some return of cost
      02-15-2013, 03:40 AM   #26
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Hit a pot hole the other week, couldn't be avoided as in a narrow section of road just wide enough for two vehicles and a car was coming the other way at the time so was too late to do anything about it. Jolt was sufficient enough to cause my xenon's to go screwy. I think one got stuck. Thankfully after a while it sorted itself out as last thing i want is problems with my car within weeks of it being handed in as a part-ex.

I thought BMW had done extensive testing on UK roads for this gen 3 series to ensure the RFT's worked well and reviews suggested they do as they now have a bigger tyrewall on even the lowest profile ones?
Appreciate 0