F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Non RFT puncture review
GetBMWParts

01-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #23
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three28iman View Post
Am I alone in actually having a full sized spare wheel which I pop in the boot on longer journeys?
I cannot wait to get shut of the Runflats... truly awful ride
How on earth you guys manage with 19 inches or bigger (tyres!).... the East Lancashire roads are very poor as are most of the motorway lanes.
A full size spare, or even a space saver for that matter, would take up too much room I feel. Plus, with ACS springs I'm not sure I'd even get a jack under the jacking points - when doing work on the driveway I usually have to drive up on to a coupe of stacked wooden planks to lift the car. I did try to raise one side of the car with a scissor jack, which was almost impossible. Tried two different makes and the thrust bearings had so much friction under load that it was almost impossible. A trolley jack is a necessity.

On that basis TyreWeld + double-barrel foot pump, or Slime + compressor, are the way to go if you make the switch to non-RFTs.

Even with 19s, ACS springs, Bird's ARBs, non-RFTs (the ever-popular MPSS) I far prefer the ride quality (not to mention the grip and traction) over RFTs. Would never go back.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #24
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I still have RFTs (apart from the winters that are going on this weekend) and carry one of these http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html a pump and a BMW jack and wheel brace etc. This should enable me to actually carry out a permanent repair should a puncture happen. They're pretty popular in the US and aren't seen as a temporary repair.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #25
AP_75
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Really useful thread, thanks all and I'm 1mm of rear tread away from ditching runflats.

With the size of tyres these days many cars don't carry a spare. My previous Audi had a space saver but even then limited help if on a long journey as limited to c50mph.

I've only had 2 punctures in 23 years of driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #26
AP_75
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok one question - everyone seems to be on Michelin Pilot Sports. Just read both Evo and Auto Express tyre tests and the Continental ContiSportContact 5 wins both tests with great review - anyone tried these please?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #27
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three28iman View Post
Am I alone in actually having a full sized spare wheel which I pop in the boot on longer journeys?
I cannot wait to get shut of the Runflats... truly awful ride
How on earth you guys manage with 19 inches or bigger (tyres!).... the East Lancashire roads are very poor as are most of the motorway lanes.
I carry a spare with me in the winter when I'm on non RFT tyres, but not when on the RFTs
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #28
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_75
Ok one question - everyone seems to be on Michelin Pilot Sports. Just read both Evo and Auto Express tyre tests and the Continental ContiSportContact 5 wins both tests with great review - anyone tried these please?
Yes the Conti came first but the MPSS wasn't in the test (EVO - I haven't read the Autocar review). The Conti will be a good all-round performance-orientated tyre; MPSS is a step up again. Dry grip is awesome, and several of us can vouch for the wet performance at a soaked Donnington Park in an M4.

You're right to ask around though - not everyone wants the same thing from a tyre.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #29
AP_75
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Yes the Conti came first but the MPSS wasn't in the test (EVO - I haven't read the Autocar review). The Conti will be a good all-round performance-orientated tyre; MPSS is a step up again. Dry grip is awesome, and several of us can vouch for the wet performance at a soaked Donnington Park in an M4.

You're right to ask around though - not everyone wants the same thing from a tyre.
Thanks Watsey. Just realised Evo and Auto express test are the Michelin pilot sport and not Super sport - assuming the super sport is what everyone recommends?

With my rears down to 3mm the car would be a handle in the wet without the electronic safety net. Looking forward to new tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #30
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_75 View Post
Thanks Watsey. Just realised Evo and Auto express test are the Michelin pilot sport and not Super sport - assuming the super sport is what everyone recommends?

With my rears down to 3mm the car would be a handle in the wet without the electronic safety net. Looking forward to new tyres.
From experience, but only comparing the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RFTs and the MPSS, the Michelins are far superior in all wet and ry conditions. Grip and traction are vastly superior, as is the break-away when you get near the limit.

The compound is softer (which Blackcircles stressed to me prior to purchase) but with just a few thousand miles on them it's too early for me to gauge the lifespan. Life expectancy isn't a major factor for me - having as high performance tyre, and the all-round improvements that it provides, is more important to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #31
AP_75
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
From experience, but only comparing the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RFTs and the MPSS, the Michelins are far superior in all wet and ry conditions. Grip and traction are vastly superior, as is the break-away when you get near the limit.

The compound is softer (which Blackcircles stressed to me prior to purchase) but with just a few thousand miles on them it's too early for me to gauge the lifespan. Life expectancy isn't a major factor for me - having as high performance tyre, and the all-round improvements that it provides, is more important to me.
Thanks again Watsey, MPSS it is. Interestingly Michelin claim 20% extra mileage but agree it's prob a softer compound. My F31 is only on 16k and nearly 3 years so not a great concern.

Looking forward to the extra grip in the current wet weather - was thinking drivers of BMWs in the pre-stability control days must have been heroes but guess most cars then didn't have 400+lb ft to put down in the days of 6 cylinder patrols.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #32
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

The new ContiSport 6 may also be worth a look...
      01-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #33
Musket
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I put my winter non run flats on yesterday. Amazingly quieter.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #34
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

I've had my Michelin Pilot SSs on for two months so far. Only one serious puncture so far after 1 month!

Luckily the tyre was deflating ever so slowly in spite of the TPMS warning so was able to get to home and then Kwikfit.

As it happened the nail was in the SIDE of the tyre so it wasn't repairable. So thats an extra £180 after 4 weeks and it was in the 255/40 on the back which are of course more expensive.

Never mind, havent regretted one bit losing the Bridgestone RFs and putting on real professional tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #35
AP_75
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
I've had my Michelin Pilot SSs on for two months so far. Only one serious puncture so far after 1 month!

Luckily the tyre was deflating ever so slowly in spite of the TPMS warning so was able to get to home and then Kwikfit.

As it happened the nail was in the SIDE of the tyre so it wasn't repairable. So thats an extra £180 after 4 weeks and it was in the 255/40 on the back which are of course more expensive.

Never mind, havent regretted one bit losing the Bridgestone RFs and putting on real professional tyres.
Thanks, good to know.

Their seems to be a lot of fear of removing RFTs on some forums but I don't see the issue - I had a space saver on my audi a3 during my last puncture and only good to go a shortish distance at 50mph. Puncture was at c60mph on the A404M near Maidenhead and not dramatic at all - maybe the impact of Hollywood movies?
Appreciate 0