F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin PS4S just gone flat
ARMA SPEED

06-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 435xi M-sport

Michelin PS4S just gone flat

I just hit something sharp in front of my house. My left front tire has gone completely flat..it shows 1psi
Wondering about the best solution for tomorrow morning?
Should I call roadside assistance?
Should I order PS4S now online?
I'm located at Boston,MA
And have to go to work tomorrow....
No AAA or insurance coverage.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

First thing you should do is locate the nail in your tire and post a pic so we can advise whether or not it appears patchable.

From there, you will need a tow to a tire shop one way or another. If heard AAA will occasionally allow you to sign up for a year and use a tow immediately. AAA plus is a necessity without a spare tire IMO
      06-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
First thing you should do is locate the nail in your tire and post a pic so we can advise whether or not it appears patchable.

From there, you will need a tow to a tire shop one way or another. If heard AAA will occasionally allow you to sign up for a year and use a tow immediately. AAA plus is a necessity without a spare tire IMO
Thank you. I just registered AAA and called them saying that I need to call them tomorrow morning to have my car towed to a local tire shop.
Luckily...There's a Firestone fairly close to my house.

I wanted to take a picture too... but it's too dark outside.. all I know it went to flat in just about a minute...I don't know if it's better to have it fixed or have it replaced.. PS4S..6000miles on the four tires that I replaced last December..
If replacing it, then I'm not sure when they will have it in stock though..
is it hard to fix a flat tire ??
I have experience in Jb4 with meth and now BM3 OTS tuning. But now idea about fixing a tire..
I've seen my dad's car 's tire fixed by a kind of glue...took about 3mins..that was when I was a little boy.

F32 435xi staggered..never a flat tire happened in my life . And only after...I ditched the stock RFT... PITA
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Fixing a puncture, like a nail, is a simple DIY job if you have the $20 tool to do it with, so long as it's not in the sidewall. Since you don't have RFT you should have one of those tools, along with a can of fix a flat, jack, lug wrench and pump in the car. I've got all that and I have RFTs, because you can fix those just like a regular tire if you do it right away.

Did the place you bought your tires from include a road hazard policy? Most do.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

When you buy Michelin's you have a 3-year promise plan - "A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 240 km for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada." I suggest calling the number.
Appreciate 3
BrettKA7566.50
90rr106.50
      06-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Oh yeah forgot to say, tow it to the place you bought the tires from if possible, they will fix it for free.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rush View Post
When you buy Michelin's you have a 3-year promise plan warranty - "A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 240 km for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada." I suggest calling the number.
I had no idea this was a thing'
      06-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #8
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When you buy Michelin's you have a 3-year promise plan warranty - "A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 240 km for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada." I suggest calling the number.
Quote:
When you buy Michelin's you have a 3-year promise plan - "A qualified service professional will change your flat and install your spare tire or provide towing at no charge. In case of a flat tire, simply call 1-888-553-4327 and a qualified professional will change the tire or provide towing up to 240 km for free. Available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada." I suggest calling the number.
I had no idea about this at all. AAA just towed my car to Sullivan Tire which is 4 miles from my house. They are fixing on it now... but not sure if it can be fixed. And ordering new PS4S would be a pain. At least it's not on the side wall. Good learning course this time. I will use that number next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh yeah forgot to say, tow it to the place you bought the tires from if possible, they will fix it for free.
The place I changed those tires were from an auto customization shop..they offered me a free PS4s as they damaged my old stock tire- they kept my car when they did the downpipe and exhaust and left a bubble on the sidewall where they couldn't explain it was not their fault. And it was the time when I really wanted to try out PS4S-So they offered me a new free tire and I paid three other tires ..their installation fees were much lower and didn't come with road hazard.. never thought a flat tire would be such a pain in the ass..on the modern roads...zzz
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGTX View Post
I had no idea about this at all. AAA just towed my car to Sullivan Tire which is 4 miles from my house. They are fixing on it now... but not sure if it can be fixed. And ordering new PS4S would be a pain. At least it's not on the side wall. Good learning course this time. I will use that number next time.
Yeah, when you pay the premium, you should exercise your rights.

Glad to hear you have everything under control though, it should be fixable if not on the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #11
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The place I changed those tires were from an auto customization shop..they offered me a free PS4s as they damaged my old stock tire- they kept my car when they did the downpipe and exhaust and left a bubble on the sidewall where they couldn't explain it was not their fault. And it was the time when I really wanted to try out PS4S-So they offered me a new free tire and I paid three other tires ..their installation fees were much lower and didn't come with road hazard.. never thought a flat tire would be such a pain in the ass..on the modern roads...zzz
Always nice to get a deal but sorry to hear you had to go through the headache... Don't worry too much, it should be fixed in no time. Even if not able to fix, don't stress over it and try to enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Good to know about the Michelin promise plan. I just got four of these today and the shop didn't say anything about it. Thanks. I have BMW Assist or whatever but because I installed non-RFT tires I'm not sure if they'd provide a flatbed tow. I've ordered a Tire Slime kit and plug tools and will carry a 12V compressor in the back.
      06-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
I just hit something sharp in front of my house. My left front tire has gone completely flat..it shows 1psi
Wondering about the best solution for tomorrow morning?
Should I call roadside assistance?
Should I order PS4S now online?
I'm located at Boston,MA
And have to go to work tomorrow....
No AAA or insurance coverage.
Why wouldn’t BMW tow if you are still in 4 year/50k Miles?

I have towing included in my Geico policy for $9.80 a year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

when in doubt....

always have a can of fix a flat in your trunk.... lifesaver
      06-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
when in doubt....

always have a can of fix a flat in your trunk.... lifesaver
Only if you want to create more issues.
Appreciate 2
BrettKA7566.50
yoon_209354.50
      06-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have the Continental conticomfort flat tire repair kit in my trunk. Works great. I have had 2 flat tires. Both times I was able to use the continental compressor to add air to the tire and it held pressure to get me home. I didn't use the repair goop to fill the flat but if the tire didn't hold pressure well enough I could have.
IK6SPEED is right...the tire fix a flat goop does make a hell of a mess inside the tire and wheel and will add $$$ to the repair as it must be cleaned. However, a tow is expensive so having a can in the trunk is good incase of emergency.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #17
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Glad everything worked out, but here's my .02....

1.). Learn how to plug a flat, it's very easy and in most cases it's permanent. All the other complicated stuff you did to your car is definitely harder! Lol

2.) PSA for runflats...Unless your tracking your car weekly or really need some high performance type tire....leave the damn runflats on! I know the purists are gonna hate and flame, fuck that. I'm a 17 year bmw owner and have been running runflats for the last 5 years now: they saved me countless times!!

Runflat tech has improved dramatically over the last 5-7 years and they aren't that loud at all. All these fools bitching about how you need MPPS or Conti's is redic, they prob don't track shit either!! Spirited driving and traffic light sprints can be done with runflats!

Last point: the very last place you ever want to be if you get a flat is jacking up your car on a highway trying to inject fix-a-flat or whatever. Lots of traffic fatalities occur due to situations like this yearly.
Plus if you have kids or travel a lot, runflats offer piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
IK6SPEED is right...the tire fix a flat goop does make a hell of a mess inside the tire and wheel and will add $$$ to the repair as it must be cleaned. However, a tow is expensive so having a can in the trunk is good incase of emergency.
As shown above, I have free tows and other roadside assistance for $9.80 a year added to my Geico Insurance. I am sure others have similar deals.

That’s cheaper than a can of goop a year....and much safer as @classyfast notes about working on the side of the road.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #19
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Less convenient in some aspects though. I tend to wait 45+minutes for a tow truck when I need one. Airing up the tire to get to a gas station or other safe spot where you can inspect and plug the tire is easier for me in that scenario. I really only go the tow truck route if the tire is shredded or wheel is damaged.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #20
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
As shown above, I have free tows and other roadside assistance for $9.80 a year added to my Geico Insurance. I am sure others have similar deals.

That’s cheaper than a can of goop a year....and much safer as @classyfast notes about working on the side of the road.
That is $10 well spent for you for sure. Agreed about side of the road..dangerous place.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #21
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Glad everything worked out, but here's my .02....

1.). Learn how to plug a flat, it's very easy and in most cases it's permanent. All the other complicated stuff you can do to your car is definitely harder! Lol

2.) PSA for runflats...Unless your tracking your car weekly or really need some high performance type tire....leave the damn runflats on! I know the purists are gonna hate and flame, fuck that. I'm a 17 year bmw owner and have been running runflats for the last 5 years now: they saved me countless times!!

Runflat tech has improved dramatically over the last 5-7 years and they aren't that loud at all. All these fool bitching about how you need MPPS or Conti's is redic, they prob don't track shit either!! Spirited driving and traffic light sprints can be done with runflats!

Last point: the very last place you ever want to be if you get a flat is jacking up your car on a highway trying to inject fix-a-flat or whatever. Lots of traffic fatalities occur due to situations this yearly.
Plus if you have kids or travel a lot, runflats offer piece of mind.
By plugging a flat do you mean the old school way of pushing that rubber tubing into the hole to plug it and then cut off the excess? That is old school! I have heard those are not good on a higher performance car with low performance tires. Prone to failure. The only way to patch a tire is to remove it from the rim and patch it from the inside. That will make it like new...even works on a runflat.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #22
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post

That's cheaper than a can of goop a year....and much safer as @classyfast notes about working on the side of the road.
Everybody forgets that a can of goop or fix-a-flat typically screws up tpms also.....typically. I know because I screwed 2 up on an Infiniti I had years ago
Appreciate 0