F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Help: Mixing carbon and matte exterior trim
proTUNING Freaks

06-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Help: Mixing carbon and matte exterior trim

What are your thoughts on mixing and matching carbon fiber and matte style black for exterior trim pieces? Example: carbon rear spoiler and polyurethane style front bumpers? I’m having a hard time visualizing whether these two styles can work together. Any picture examples or input would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited by tobefair-idontcare; 06-24-2018 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobefair-idontcare View Post
What are your thoughts on mixing and matching carbon fiber and matte style black for exterior trim pieces? Example: carbon rear spoiler and polyurethane style front bumpers? I’m having a hard time visualizing whether these two styles can work together. Any picture examples or input would be helpful. Thanks!
Don't do it. That's just odd and will not look good. Let me put it this way. Would you wear a suit where the pants were pin stripe (CF spoiler), but the jacket was plain with no pattern (matte lip)? No, because it looks goofy.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Don't do it. That's just odd and will not look good. Let me put it this way. Would you wear a suit where the pants were pin stripe (CF spoiler), but the jacket was plain with no pattern (matte lip)? No, because it looks goofy.
i think this look good lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
tobefair-idontcare
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

So this was altogether very helpful, guys. I definitely made up my mind lol. If anyone has any other info please feel free to pass it along.

Ps. That suit looks great, I concur.
Appreciate 1
MojoRider103.50
      06-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
So this was altogether very helpful, guys. I definitely made up my mind lol. If anyone has any other info please feel free to pass it along.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1507058

Read entire thread and absorb all the details, including how many will tell you what you want to hear.
Appreciate 1
yoon_209354.50
      06-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
x328x
Captain
Rep

Quote:

In all seriousness

I have seen cars with the matt m performance gear but just carbon fiber mirrors and/or spoiler. I dont mind it and I think it works because the carbon fiber pieces are small in comparison and are so far apart from one another that it works.

I have also seen one car where they...let me explain..you know the m performance front splitter. its made up of the bottom lip and the upper section. Well the bottom lip was carbon fiber and the top was mat. then with the sides the had the mat m performance decal and the side skirt extensions were in carbon. It looked good. Because the carbon fiber was the lip part it was subtle. IMO i dont like the spiltters and diffusers all in carbon fiber. to much in my opinion. But thats just my opinion

In a nut shell your going to get people that will say it all has to match and others that will tell you what i am saying. The thread above is slightly different in that the matt and gloss carbon fiber were so close together that it didnt work for me
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
In all seriousness

I have seen cars with the matt m performance gear but just carbon fiber mirrors and/or spoiler. I dont mind it and I think it works because the carbon fiber pieces are small in comparison and are so far apart from one another that it works.

I have also seen one car where they...let me explain..you know the m performance front splitter. its made up of the bottom lip and the upper section. Well the bottom lip was carbon fiber and the top was mat. then with the sides the had the mat m performance decal and the side skirt extensions were in carbon. It looked good. Because the carbon fiber was the lip part it was subtle. IMO i dont like the spiltters and diffusers all in carbon fiber. to much in my opinion. But thats just my opinion

In a nut shell your going to get people that will say it all has to match and others that will tell you what i am saying. The thread above is slightly different in that the matt and gloss carbon fiber were so close together that it didnt work for me
The point of the above is that there are many that have no sense of style and will tell someone how great it looks when in reality it doesn’t (not stating you...but what’s clear from that thread). Think the Emperor’s New Clothes.

Close or not, the finish was only part of the problem. There was still different weave designs underneath the finish and lines not matching up.

My point is, as exhibited in that thread, pay careful attention as to who you take advice from.

I seriously wonder if anyone would have spoken up if I had not gone first.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #8
MojoRider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i

I don't now about mixing the two looks, might not work for me. Ive been considering adding some carbon parts, i.e. caps & lip--looks good here but not certain if its too much..

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951783
      06-26-2018, 05:39 AM   #9
x328x
Captain
Rep

U wanted pics. Matt body pieces with cf spoiler and mirrors
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

My car has matte M Performance parts around the bottom (splitter, side blades, m performance decal, rear diffuser, kidneys) with high gloss carbon mirror caps/spoiler. I PERSONALLY love the look of my 340i. Make your car look how you want it to look.

Was going to do carbon all over, but I've broken CF front lips and that's an expensive hobby.

People will judge no matter what. I love the M Stripes on the kidneys and my M styles mirror caps, other people think they look terrible...
Attached Images

Last edited by AddictedTo///M; 06-26-2018 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #11
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1507058

Read entire thread and absorb all the details, including how many will tell you what you want to hear.
the lesson is...

consistency