F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Disappointed in sound system/2015 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan
Extreme Powerhouse

12-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
NewOwner
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

Disappointed in sound system/2015 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

I am new to BMW ownership and to this forum so please forgive any blunders and if you are kind enough to answer me, if you could go easy on the tech terms, I'd appreciate it. Here's the deal: I've been driving a 2006 Pontiac with a Monsoon sound system and LOVE IT. My husband wanted me in a BMW and everything about the car was appealing to me, I figured a luxury car like this would have a great sound system. The clarity is lacking and I can't get any answers from the dealership. The only time I learned anything was from a local stereo guy who explained the noise cancellation concept to me, had me turn the bass and treble way down, but it's still not good. He said trying to upgrade would create addl problems and not help w the problems I'm describing. My sound is EXTREMELY important to me. I am open to any advice or even a "you're right" post. I think the husband thinks I'm making a big deal over nothing but he doesn't listen to music like I do.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

First of all, welcome!

You are right and you're not being too picky.

The stock sound is not very good. BMW offers Harman Kardon as an option and it is much better. Since you already have your car, the Harman Kardon option is probably off the table. I don't think it can be added after the fact, at least in a cost-efficient way. There are some pretty serious audiophiles on this forum who will likely respond and give you some good advice on aftermarket options.

Enjoy your new ride. Let us know what you end up doing with your sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

My previous BMW had standard sound system and while I am not an audio engineer I have to agree: the standard sound system could be better. My new BMW has optional HK sound system (I ordered it) and it's much better.

Upgrading speakers might be the easiest solution to a better sound. Worth exploring.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Upgrading speakers might be the easiest solution to a better sound.
The speakers aren't all that bad, but the lack of a graphic EQ is extremely limiting. You can add EQ with the bimmertech amp upgrade, but the EQ is only accessible by plugging in a laptop to the amp, so once it's set you can't tweak it unless you plug in a laptop again.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOwner View Post
I am new to BMW ownership and to this forum so please forgive any blunders and if you are kind enough to answer me, if you could go easy on the tech terms, I'd appreciate it. Here's the deal: I've been driving a 2006 Pontiac with a Monsoon sound system and LOVE IT. My husband wanted me in a BMW and everything about the car was appealing to me, I figured a luxury car like this would have a great sound system. The clarity is lacking and I can't get any answers from the dealership. The only time I learned anything was from a local stereo guy who explained the noise cancellation concept to me, had me turn the bass and treble way down, but it's still not good. He said trying to upgrade would create addl problems and not help w the problems I'm describing. My sound is EXTREMELY important to me. I am open to any advice or even a "you're right" post. I think the husband thinks I'm making a big deal over nothing but he doesn't listen to music like I do.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1311579

I would also remind you as a female your high end perception will be different than most males that will post on this forum (unless you've managed to blow out your high end hearing with earbuds).

It's very typical that the high end could sound very harsh to you while it could be lacking or just right for a male.

Likewise, your husband might not be hearing what you are hearing.

Real bottom line - most people have never heard what music is really supposed to sound like so they have nothing to judge it against. This is truer today than in the past after 20 years of listening to computer speakers and crappy mp3s.

Last edited by Kabrich; 12-02-2016 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
ajob456.00
      12-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
odus
Call me daddy
Rep
Drives: dont worry

Shit go drive a subaru WRX then talk to me about the stereo. could it use improvement yes but does it sound like a boom box from 1990 no.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post

I would also remind you as a female your high end perception will be different than most males that will post on this forum (unless you've managed to blow out your high end hearing with earbuds).

It's very typical that the high end could sound very harsh to you while it could be lacking or just right for a male.

Real bottom line - most people have never heard what music is really supposed to sound like so they have nothing to judge it against. This is truer today than in the past after 20 years of listening to computer speakers and crappy mp3s.
+1 on the Integral Audio. I just upgraded mine (plus the sub), and its a HUGE improvement. Very well balanced, clean and crisp and the installation was pretty simple too. Coming from an e39 with the entire car audio upgraded (MB Quarts components all around powered by an Alpine 4ch amp and also subs) and then getting into a f30 was a disappointment. Actually, IA actually sounds much better then my e39 did. Well worth the investment.

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by odus View Post
Shit go drive a subaru WRX then talk to me about the stereo. could it use improvement yes but does it sound like a boom box from 1990 no.
^This

We pulled the speakers out of my buddy's WRX and honestly I have refrigerator magnets that are bigger.

As for the BMW, the 3 is better than the 2 series. It's not the greatest but it's not bad.
Appreciate 1
odus34.50
      12-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
We pulled the speakers out of my buddy's WRX and honestly I have refrigerator magnets that are bigger.
That doesn't mean anything if they're neodymium magnets. I doubt they are, but at any rate neo magnets work just as well as ceramics that weigh ten times as much.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
odus
Call me daddy
Rep
Drives: dont worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That doesn't mean anything if they're neodymium magnets. I doubt they are, but at any rate neo magnets work just as well as ceramics that weigh ten times as much.
They are not it was just a shitty setup cardboard speakers with tiny magnets and a super underpowered radio I bought the kicker upgrades they sell from Subaru and they were massive upgrade over the stock ones but the radio was still lacking in the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #11
NewOwner
Rep

Back to the dealership today. Salesman is totally condescending and dismissive and making me mad but a "genius" helped me as much as he could. Turns out I the H-K with an equalizer is what will make my experience better. Unfortunately they only have a 2017 7-series with that option.

Last edited by NewOwner; 12-03-2016 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #12
NewOwner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
+1 on the Integral Audio. I just upgraded mine (plus the sub), and its a HUGE improvement. Very well balanced, clean and crisp and the installation was pretty simple too. Coming from an e39 with the entire car audio upgraded (MB Quarts components all around powered by an Alpine 4ch amp and also subs) and then getting into a f30 was a disappointment. Actually, IA actually sounds much better then my e39 did. Well worth the investment.
I am going to be honest and tell you that I don't know what all of this means but I am looking in to Integral Audio. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
NewOwner
Rep

Quote:

Right! I I have the salesman telling me HIS sound system is the same and sounds great to him. 1) His opinion doesn't make my experience any better, and 2) he doesn't know what music is supposed to sound like. I grew up with vinyl and analog.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Right! I I have the salesman telling me HIS sound system is the same and sounds great to him.
It may. Some people even think Bose sounds good.

My system is bone stock, it sounds OK. I have no plans to mod it in any way. Oh, and I'm a professional acoustical engineer. But I don't care about having a concert hall experience in my car. For that I have my living room. Besides, I know that once you start fiddling with your audio it becomes a bottomless money pit, so I'm not going to fall into that trap this time around.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #15
scnr19
Registered
Rep
Drives: F07 & e93

Bavsound speaker upgrade

You may consider replacing stock speakers with Bavsound, works very well with Harmon Kardon system. Have them in my f07 and e93. Did not replace the subs, HK subs do a good job. Remove and replace exact fit.
AM very happy with the result, big improvement in all tonal ranges and quality on the speakers are superb.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Back to the dealership today. Salesman is totally condescending and dismissive and making me mad but a "genius" helped me as much as he could. Turns out I the H-K with an equalizer is what will make my experience better. Unfortunately they only have a 2017 7-series with that option.
I would say go to another dealership with an HK system and have a listen. Then you will know what you are looking for. I would not buy a BMW unless it had the HK system.
      12-04-2016, 12:37 AM   #17
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I would say go to another dealership with an HK system and have a listen. Then you will know what you are looking for. I would not buy a BMW unless it had the HK system.
I spent so much time doing critical listening to my HK System today based on this and several other threads....and the system is so lacking it's ridiculous.

Looking at graphs in another thread shows why. But bottom line is I don't believe the car has enough CLEAN Amp power besides wild variations in the frequencies bouncing off glass and other surfaces.

Bass is muddy. High end distorted. No distinct Soundfield. Inability to pick out individual instruments. Lack of air and openness. Just a mess for what it costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #18
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Quote:
I spent so much time doing critical listening to my HK System today based on this and several other threads....and the system is so lacking it's ridiculous.

Looking at graphs in another thread shows why. But bottom line is I don't believe the car has enough CLEAN Amp power besides wild variations in the frequencies bouncing off glass and other surfaces.

Bass is muddy. High end distorted. No distinct Soundfield. Inability to pick out individual instruments. Lack of air and openness. Just a mess for what it costs.
From what I understand for the HK system is that the tweeters use a simple series capacitor as a crossover. It is the most basic type and lowest power handling crossover there is. The mid range driver doesn't even use a low pass filter crossover at all. It just plays the highs quieter above a certain point. The underseat woofers are 8 ohm. If using an amp with more power and symmetrical output per channel, you'll end up overpowering the the mids and highs, essentially bringing out the flaws in the system even more.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #19
GeertB
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran coupé

Just to be sure: do we know which sound system the topic starter has? Stereo or HK? (or base? but that's not likely in the USA)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

NewOwner - What's your source? HD radio sounds very good. CD sounds very good. Sirius is horrible.

Make sure you're using good source material.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #21
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeertB View Post
Just to be sure: do we know which sound system the topic starter has? Stereo or HK? (or base? but that's not likely in the USA)
Doesn't matter. Both have major issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
NewOwner - What's your source? HD radio sounds very good. CD sounds very good. Sirius is horrible.

Yes source is important but the system has serious limitations which you are missing.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #22
NewOwner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

HD isn't even good. I live and work between two cities with major radio stations and I get tinny echoes, sped up tempo and complete voids. Apparently that's all to be expected because of compressed files, etc.
Appreciate 0