F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool feature, find something, learn anything?
Studio RSR

01-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #1497
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranBonn View Post
I think this description is off, or is describing the add-on HUD you can get I think also for BMWs. For some of those you need to stick on a piece of film to your windshield.

The built-in HUD, according to the technical docs (pages 39-40), projects onto the windscreen. The windscreen does need to be special - it needs to be wedge shaped to prevent double images. Basically the image projected upwards to a normal windscreen would have two reflected images: one reflected from the interior surface of the windshield, the other from the outside surface. I guess if you make the surfaces at an angle, you can get the projected images to align.
Wedge-shaped suggests to me that the angle is different enough that the second image is not visible from the same location the first image is. I do dread getting a rock chip in this windshield, I've had two windshields crack due to rock chips, and the replacements were never as good, fit-and-finish-wise, as the original.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #1498
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Wedge-shaped suggests to me that the angle is different enough that the second image is not visible from the same location the first image is. I do dread getting a rock chip in this windshield, I've had two windshields crack due to rock chips, and the replacements were never as good, fit-and-finish-wise, as the original.
You don't have to worry about large rock chips. I can tell you after 60k km that my windshield looks like the lunar surface - there's hundreds of tiny chips from normal highway driving. Mostly 0,5mm or smaller, and generally not visible during the day - except when driving at sunrise or sundown straight onto the sun. That's when you see a thousand spots on the screen.

I've seen a lot of forums comment that BMW windscreens are very very soft and easily damaged by normal driving. The angle of the screen to the road doesn't help, as I haven't had any such issue with 80k km on my Civic.

Apparently one way or the other we simply need to count with a replacement windshield every few years.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #1499
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranBonn View Post
I think this description is off, or is describing the add-on HUD you can get I think also for BMWs. For some of those you need to stick on a piece of film to your windshield.
It's a direct quote from bmw.com about the integrated HUD in all new BMW's.... I would assume they would know what they are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #1500
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
It's a direct quote from bmw.com about the integrated HUD in all new BMW's.... I would assume they would know what they are talking about.
I'm assuming the film covers the whole windshield, because I don't notice any edges of a partial-coverage film. And the HUD in the depression in the dashboard is the factory HUD, not the after-market unit. That one is a unit that sits on top of the dashboard, and has its own plastic reflector surface.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #1501
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

OK! Finally figured it out. The car beeps twice (honks the horn) at you when you have the car in "Neutral", and then try to lock it. (Engine was off at the time).

Let me know, if this true for everyone else.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 02:20 AM   #1502
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
It's in the iDrive settings under Instrument Panel. If you uncheck Eco Pro, then the standard MPGs show. If you uncheck Additional Info then nothing shows. This assumes you have Extended Contents.
Indeed you are right, just tried it. I was previously 100% sure it was not possible to deactivate. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #1503
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
The car beeps twice (honks the horn) at you when you have the car in "Neutral", and then try to lock it.
Translation: "Put me into park, stupid!"
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      01-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #1504
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Translation: "Put me into park, stupid!"
LOL, yeah my hand actually hit it into neutral when exiting the car, so it's a good feature.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 1
maxdobe36.00
      01-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #1505
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

Great thread, and thanks to everyone who has contributed and/or commented! My big take aways were using the presets properly and the grocery bag hooks in the trunk

Here's something (perhaps too obvious) that I haven't seen anyone mention...and maybe this is just the noob in me not having experience with cars with push button start....but, I've noticed on many videos and reviews and such that when people use the start button in their cars, they push and hold down that button until the motor is running and then release the button. Sometimes for what looks like 2 or 3 seconds.

What I have found is there some short amount of time, maybe less than 1 second, where you can just tap that start button briefly, then tap the brake after releasing the button (even 1/2 a second or more later), and the car will start just fine. When I hop in my car, I hit that button sometimes before even being fully seated, then hit the brake as my right hand is already on the steering wheel, and bang, MPE cold start
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #1506
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphz View Post
I've noticed on many videos and reviews and such that when people use the start button in their cars, they push and hold down that button until the motor is running and then release the button. Sometimes for what looks like 2 or 3 seconds.
That's because they're used to turning a key to engage the starter, holding it until the car starts. The button doesn't engage the starter motor, it sends a command to the computer to start the car. It won't harm anything to hold the button down. You never hear anyone grinding the starter motor gears against the flywheel with a button if they forget that the engines running and push it again, for the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #1507
pylonguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Just got a new (used) '13 335i and this was super helpful even after reading the whole user manual (and taking notes) just read through the past 69 pages of this thread.

I wouldn't have caught certain things like the grocery hooks and the latch to hold up the trunk storage. And it also gave me good ideas for some of my programmable buttons.

Heres what I got, but I am sure it will change as I get more into it:
1-switch audio to bluetooth
2-switch audio to ipod
3-mute navigation audio
4- toggle display on/off (sometimes I find the screen distracting and want to focus on the drive)
5-split screen-switch to navigation (facing north)
6-split screen-switch to trip details
7-toggle split screen
8-navigate home
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #1508
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylonguy View Post
8-navigate home
I actually made this the first thing I programmed.. but the genius at the dealership pointed out that the voice command 'go home' works well. I'm tempted to program it to a button again though, because if you use the button, you don't have to listen to its response "starting navigation to the home address of .. 'home contact'."
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #1509
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublep View Post
Well, Since I had a day to spare and a few days left to take delivery on my new F36 430i Gran Coupe in Estoril Blue, I thought I'd take it upon myself to summarize this entire thread.

I must've missed things here and there (such as a few iPhone things, being an Android user) but it's mostly here.

I'd be happy to take comments and critique and corrections, just send me a message here.

It's got 71 points now, all heavily dependent on if you're in EU, US, CA, Oz, etc and what trim you got.

See the attachment to this post and tell me what you think, guys!

OMG, thanks! Much appreciated. Thanks to everyone else for the tips, too.

Never wanted to open this thread because I knew it would take forever to read through.

Your summary is awesome! One of my favorites: "Fold up the mirrors after a wash to dump all water out."

Here's something I recently discovered. I have a Sport Line with fog lights, and I pulled into a parking space in a shopping plaza, where the space faces a glass storefront. I look at the reflection and see that only one of the fogs is on. ?? I didn't turn them on though. Started fiddling with stuff, and when I straightened out the wheel completely, it went off. Aha...must be cornering lights. Never knew this. It seems kinda dorky..wonder if it happens every time I turn a corner? Now I want to figure out how to turn it off.
Appreciate 1
Doublep74.00
      01-13-2017, 01:28 AM   #1510
Doublep
Happily breaking in the F36!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 430i GC EB/SB

Updated summary

Here's the updated summary for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F3X_v130117.pdf (84.5 KB, 731 views)
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #1511
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
Here's something I recently discovered. I have a Sport Line with fog lights, and I pulled into a parking space in a shopping plaza, where the space faces a glass storefront. I look at the reflection and see that only one of the fogs is on. ?? I didn't turn them on though. Started fiddling with stuff, and when I straightened out the wheel completely, it went off. Aha...must be cornering lights. Never knew this. It seems kinda dorky..wonder if it happens every time I turn a corner? Now I want to figure out how to turn it off.
on my wife's cc it is extremely obvious. everytime you make a low speed turn, the corner is illuminated and since the fog is so close it's really bright, even brighter than the headlight illumination on the rest of the road. it's especially helpful in rain when visibility is really poor, you can see exactly where the edge of the road is.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #1512
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Here's the updated summary for your viewing pleasure.
Thanks a ton. I have printed and laminated it.

One button I programmed in addition to "home" is "stop navigation". There are times after I start it up that I want it to go away and having a single button to do that works for me. For example, I may be in a strange, complex community with curvy roads so I use "Home" to get me out. Once I am out I would like to shut it off and having a button to do that works great.

I haven't had to use the extra buttons from a second profile yet but will eventually. Another great idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #1513
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

For completeness, here's what I have programmed on buttons 1-8:

1: call wife
2: call parents
3: navigate home
4: navigate work
5: Sports display with clock split screen
6: stop navigation
7: My favorite FM radiostation
8: Bluetooth media
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #1514
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
For completeness, here's what I have programmed on buttons 1-8:

1: call wife
2: call parents
3: navigate home
4: navigate work
5: Sports display with clock split screen
6: stop navigation
7: My favorite FM radiostation
8: Bluetooth media
I thought about saving home address for navigation. But it's always in my recent destinations when I go into my nav, so I used it for something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #1515
Doublep
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I thought about saving home address for navigation. But it's always in my recent destinations when I go into my nav, so I used it for something else.
I realize this will sound spoiled, but recent destinations is too many buttons to push. With this, I can go there in 1 button.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #1516
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
I don't know if this was mentioned or not in the 69 previous pages...

When your tire pressure is low, it won't let you switch modes out of comfort. Must be a safety thing. I could switch modes, but as soon as I touch the throttle, it would switch back to comfort mode.

Of course, fix the tire pressure and everything goes back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #1517
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
on my wife's cc it is extremely obvious. everytime you make a low speed turn, the corner is illuminated and since the fog is so close it's really bright, even brighter than the headlight illumination on the rest of the road. it's especially helpful in rain when visibility is really poor, you can see exactly where the edge of the road is.
I'll have to pay more attention at night to see if there's any benefit. I do like the headlights swiveling a bit when cornering, this I notice and have seen benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #1518
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I realize this will sound spoiled, but recent destinations is too many buttons to push. With this, I can go there in 1 button.
And I'd rather have that button for something I will use more frequently--like CNN or ESPN presets.

To each his own.
Appreciate 0