F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Possibly Purchasing a demonstrator - What to look for?
ARMA SPEED

03-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #23
Evil_ss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328 M

The RRP on my car was high 80's and I got it brand new for 66k. If you time it right you can get a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #24
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Ive bought a number of cars from Auctions, Second hand, demonstrators and brand new.

1. Auctions - never will do it again
2. Second hand - you are taking a gamble entrusting that the previous owner has looked after it real well and you got a good bargain vs brand new. They may have thrashed the shit out of the car, or drive like a granny and pamper the thing and never let it really perform to its full potential. Again, a roll of the dice.
3. Demo - These to me are a really good buy if you don't have the stigma of a "Its not a brand new car".
These low Km cars have the following Pros:
a. They have gone through the break in period of the first few thousand k's already for you, so you don't need to yourself.
b. Are "usually fully speced" because they are Demos to show clients all the features of the car when they are advertising it to them.
c. They are often (not always) thrashed because people who take them for a test drive can't really bash em too hard in normal streets as they have already given their licences to the dealers to test drive them. Even if they are given as courtesy cars for the people booking their cars in for service, they don't take it to the racetrack and fry the hell out of them and return it when their car is done servicing. Giving it a good squirt around town as a courtesy car is well within its cababilities (I mean the car is a luxury sports vehicle with some good power, no point in driving it like a conservative little bitch).
d. These are sometimes given to the Managers or Sales Execs as their courtesy cars, too and from work (part of their work package with BMW) so they know the cars inside and out to sell to the customers. Once they pass 2k - 3k they pass them off as Demonstrators. These guys commute to work in them and especially being only a few thousand k's, there isn't much time to thrash it too much to cause damage.
e. Regardless of them not being Brand new, they have warranties on them (from date of first compliance) so peace of mind for you as soon as you drive out the door, if the car does for some reason crap itself, you are covered.
e. You can save an absolute bucket load of money compared to the same one brand new (sometimes you need to wait on the delivery aswell). If the same fully spec brand new RRP for 100k, and this demo goes for 75k, I'm happy to save 25k just for a mere 2 - 3k km on the odometer.

4. Brand new:
Everyone loves to sit their own behind in an untouched, unmarked new car, but the truth is...ALL BRAND NEW CARS HAVE GONE THOUGH A TESTING PERIOD BEFORE BEING ROLLED OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE AND DELIVERED TO THE DEALERS - Part of Quality Assurance of any products. The ODO reading in the ECU just gets reprogrammed to read Zero.
Even once the Ship docks in the harbour, the cars needs to be driven off and onto the transport vehicles probably by some Obese guy with serious BO and Psoriasis/Eczema/Dermatitis so if you think your pretty behind is the first to Bless that car and de-flower it...well think again.
In some cases, if you're lucky, the dealers have overstocked brand new ones in their warehouses and if they can't sell them in a certain period of time, they will reduce that price tag to almost the same as a DEMO (dealers actually get red flags, lose money and lose out on incentives if they can't sell the stock in a certain period of time or if they don't meet their quota by BMW Head office Australia).

If you think it is a bargain and the perfect spec and the price you are happy to pay for, then go for it. It you are not certain, wait a bit longer and continue to look (plenty of more will come up over time).
Appreciate 1
DOCTOR.Y102.50
      03-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #25
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

lol i enjoyed that - didnt full agree with it, but definitely enjoyed it
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #26
BaxterF30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY16 F30 330i Sportline

T335i....that's a pretty good appraisal....just one observation relating to warranty, it actually commences from the date of first registration...i think that's what you meant?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #27
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaxterF30
T335i....that's a pretty good appraisal....just one observation relating to warranty, it actually commences from the date of first registration...i think that's what you meant?
Yep.
All current model BMW comes with 3years/80000km warranty starting from date of compliance. So if the car is a June2016 build but the date of compliance (registered for use) is Jan 2017, your warranty starts from Jan 2017 for 3years or 80000km which ever one occurs first.
One other thing to look for is if they give you a service package included (up to 5 years complimentary servicing on the vehicle (which is done every 25000km or every year which ever occurs first).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 04:19 AM   #28
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

i thought it was 3 years/unlimited km...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #29
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
they gave me an x1 with the 185kw n20 engine.
What you received was a 180kw N20 engine, not 185kw.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:26 AM   #30
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny
i thought it was 3 years/unlimited km...
Nah wouldn't be unlimited km
Be nice if it was....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:09 AM   #31
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
Just be aware that demos have been constantly cold started and thrashed. 3000km as a demo is probably equivalent to 40,000km of private owner driving engine wear. That's fine but the price just needs to reflect that.
I brought a demo car but it only had 30 miles on it. Though the warranty did commence 3 months earlier as that was the in service date. Somehow it was never put into service as a demo unit but was set aside as such. So I do have 3 months less warranty but it is otherwise a new car. I did get an awesome deal on it and haven't had any problems aside from the low coolant issue which is pretty common and I had it topped off and pressure tested with no issues. My car was a 2016 I brought in 2016 so it was given the new car warranty for that year so the 5 year warranty and 5 year maintenance and wear and tear coverage so brake pads and wipers each year included. I upgraded to 6 year 100 k miles. Also got wheel and tire coverage but not cosmetic road rash coverage which I wish I had.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #32
wingzee
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil_ss View Post
The RRP on my car was high 80's and I got it brand new for 66k. If you time it right you can get a great deal.
Sorry TS off-topic but somehow related as I am considering a demo 2016 330i as well with 4k km mileage almost fully optioned but not in my type of interior & exterior colours - I am sucker for Mineral Grey & Saddle Brown.

Dealer is listing for close to $65k which I am planning to offer $59k

I just configured a brand new 330i with my type of options & colours via Redbook and came up to about $90k driveaway in NSW. Just wondering what's the price should I am for - is 20% discount reasonable ie. $71k?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #33
sean328
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport 100 Year SE

Wow you must be adding lots of options! The 330i is on promo now at $69k drive away.. in Sydney at least I think.
Appreciate 0