F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GSR Stage 1 N20 + AFE Intake (Initial Review...I know, another one)
ARMA SPEED

05-31-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

GSR Stage 1 N20 + AFE Intake (Initial Review...I know, another one)

So I've been spanking my N20 w/ GSR Stage 1 + AFE Intake + MPE + 92 octane last couple of days and just want to share some initial thoughts for anyone who is still on the fence.

If you want the bottom line at this point, I would say... DO IT.

GSR experience:
The experience dealing with Nick and Bobby has been by far the best I've had with any tuners/mechanics/merchants up until this point. They were attentive, communication was instant and they did their best to get my ECU back ASAP. These guys are really car guys; obsessed with tuning and not just making a quick buck. Very thorough with answers and emails.

Performance:
I haven't done any serious 1/4 mile run or anything, mainly just thrashing it around the city. But so far, I can tell you that this thing pulls. HARD. And consistent. The torque from 3k to maybe 5.5-6k rpm is ridiculous. Power delivery once the turbo is spooled is responsive, smooth, reliable and again, consistent. I have no doubt that this setup will blow the doors off any stock 335i/435i. Whereas before with my previous tune, I may have had some reservations making that claim.

I was worried about the torque limiter issue on the tranny that Goon experienced on his Stage 2 + intake + dp + 93. The guys at GSR having been trying to smooth out initial torque at 3k rpm so it doesn't spike and hit the limiter. So far on my setup, it hasn't happened.

Here's the dyno Nick sent me with 228i with rounded off torque:

Overall. I Love it. It really made me fall in love with my car all over again. This pass weekend, I became a recluse in my car and just spent time driving around the city like a hooligan (don't worry, I used my turn signal every time). Up, down hills and around corners. It feels like a different car altogether.

Though, I wonder how much the little 2.0 liter engine can take before blowing up. I don't track the car or WOT, just spirited driving from time to time...like over the weekend. My MPE now literally makes a jet-like roar that I've never heard before which worried me initially.

On a side note with shipping:
I had the worse shipping experience ever! Shipped USPS 1 day express and it was temporarily lost (my car's ECU!!!) and the experience of trying to get someone on the phone from USPS to get some answers was dismal. I will NEVER use USPS again for anything important. It was eventually delivered a day late.

GSR shipped it back Fedex overnight, only to have my apartment's receptionists (both of them!) missed the delivery. Called fedex to have it redeliver. 2 hours later, it was back at their warehouse 4 miles away instead of being redelivered. I then hopped on my recently acquired hipster bike (purchased when my car was out) and rode to the warehouse to pick up my precious.

Was it worth it? Ohhh yeah.

Last edited by teapain; 06-01-2015 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
T.Maas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 328i xdrive

Garage List
Sounds awesome! Can you take a video of the exhaust by chance? Maybe some in cabin driving too

2011 135i DCT, 2011 128i 6MT, 2014 435i FBO, 2006 Z4 3.0Si 6MT, 2003 330ci 5MT, 1985 325E 5MT
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

I have mine back and installed too. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but my experience thus far has been the same. So much better than before. Light years ahead of my last piggyback!

I definitely want to backup your experience with GSR! Super professional, helpful and responsive! They certainly want to keep their customers and build trust and a relationship for the future.

Lately I developed a boost leak, at least I think that's what it is. I took some logs and Nick and Bobby are on the case, so no doubt it'll be sorted soon.

I'm running Stage 1 with CEL DP delete. Accompanying bolt ons are ER DP, ER Chargepipes (Hot & cold) ATM stepped FMIC, AFE intake, oh and I also have a 335 dual exhaust. Sound is WILD!

I'm excited to go to stage 2 and eventually 3 with a Hexon or Pure turbo. Imagine holding all that torque all the way up through the rev range....

Hopefully I will be able to contribute more soon...
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Congrats teapain and Stubok
I've yet to see someone like GSR Autosport team across all forums
They are superb! I have not gotten the GSR Flash but I still recommend ppl to them due to their help, knowledge and honest post each time.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 3
      06-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
NICE!
      06-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
I have mine back and installed too. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but my experience thus far has been the same. So much better than before. Light years ahead of my last piggyback!

I definitely want to backup your experience with GSR! Super professional, helpful and responsive! They certainly want to keep their customers and build trust and a relationship for the future.

Lately I developed a boost leak, at least I think that's what it is. I took some logs and Nick and Bobby are on the case, so no doubt it'll be sorted soon.

I'm running Stage 1 with CEL DP delete. Accompanying bolt ons are ER DP, ER Chargepipes (Hot & cold) ATM stepped FMIC, AFE intake, oh and I also have a 335 dual exhaust. Sound is WILD!

I'm excited to go to stage 2 and eventually 3 with a Hexon or Pure turbo. Imagine holding all that torque all the way up through the rev range....

Question Stubok...you were running the A8 tune...didn't work as well as you were anticipating it sounds? Care to comment? GSR feels that much better?
      06-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave
Quote:

Question Stubok...you were running the A8 tune...didn't work as well as you were anticipating it sounds? Care to comment? GSR feels that much better?
Activ8 is a great piggy back. I thoroughly enjoyed it while I had it. It definitely adds heaps of torque. As far as piggybacks go it's certainly one of the top units available together with RC.

It was always a fill in for me, as my plan all along was to go to a flash.

The flash is just smoother. Also I plan to go to stage 3 turbo at some point and wouldn't consider this without a proper flash.
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What were the symptoms for the boost leak? What are you using for logs?

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Using a OBD wifi module and torque pro app. Logs so many things it's unreal.

It's a hesitation of sorts. Hard to explain but under firm to hard acceleration in higher gears (3rd and up) you just don't get as much punch and it also starts to stutter. you have to listen out for the hissing, similar to the blow off from the diverter during a gear change, but during this period the DV should be sealed and not diverting.

As I said for me it is as I step on the gas in 3rd or higher from 2500rpm and start building big boost things obviously start to not add up for the ECU as air is leaking. The engine starts to pull timing and throttle.

I'm working on replacing the DV with a DV+ from GFB (at a standstill right now but that's another story) since apparently it is very common for the stock DV to leak or fail at higher boost.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Just recommend those with these tunes watch out for the internal components - there have been recurring cases of N20s blowing up when pushing out this much power. It is pushing/exceeding the capabilities of the pistons + con rods.

If you are serious about getting power out of this car, invest in rebuilding those components before they fail.

That being said, this GSR Tune is very promising and I really want one. I just don't trust this motor to last for the duration of my lease with this much power.
      06-03-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad
Just recommend those with these tunes watch out for the internal components - there have been recurring cases of N20s blowing up when pushing out this much power. It is pushing/exceeding the capabilities of the pistons + con rods.

If you are serious about getting power out of this car, invest in rebuilding those components before they fail.

That being said, this GSR Tune is very promising and I really want one. I just don't trust this motor to last for the duration of my lease with this much power.
From the limited research into the failures that I have done too, it seems it's a preignition issue when running high boost (23psi) and a down pipe, at the limit if the engine design (supposedly 450Nm).

hopefully these circumstances are far more preventable with an actual flash tune.

Also in the long run I am happy to keep the boost lower and thus torque in the 450Nm (330lbft) range, but upgrade the turbo so there isn't as much fall off.

My goal is to take this engine (as safely as possible) to 330lbft and 330hp at the wheel. 165hp per liter.

I plan to consult an engine builder on the conrods since those seem to be the highest risk item. Supposedly my goal is inside the capabilities of the OEM components.
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2015, 01:13 AM   #12
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Using a OBD wifi module and torque pro app. Logs so many things it's unreal.

It's a hesitation of sorts. Hard to explain but under firm to hard acceleration in higher gears (3rd and up) you just don't get as much punch and it also starts to stutter. you have to listen out for the hissing, similar to the blow off from the diverter during a gear change, but during this period the DV should be sealed and not diverting.

As I said for me it is as I step on the gas in 3rd or higher from 2500rpm and start building big boost things obviously start to not add up for the ECU as air is leaking. The engine starts to pull timing and throttle.

I'm working on replacing the DV with a DV+ from GFB (at a standstill right now but that's another story) since apparently it is very common for the stock DV to leak or fail at higher boost.
Darn. No Torque Pro App for iPhone.

As for the hesitation/stutter, is it consistent? I have experience the stutter, but only rarely and it's a short stutter and still carries the punchy torque. For the hissing, you're saying there should be no BV-like sound when accelerating? Hm. Will definitely keep an ear out for that...

I'll PM you about the DV...I'm looking into it, also.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm using "OBD Fusion" on my iPhone.

So under boost the DV should be shut. When you lift off or change gear (ie the throttle butterfly valve closes) the DV opens to relieve any access boost in the charge pipes, intercooler etc. it also stops turbo flutter (YouTube if you want to know what flutter sounds like). It's mainly a safety measure.

The problem with the stock one is it leaks (yes during boost) and is prone to fail (especially under higher boost). It is well know on all VW/VAG and other cars that use the exact same DV design. They have more experience as more people tune those cars.

One other thing. Going to a pilot actuated DV has lots of other benefits over the reliability.

So replacing it seems like a good idea to me.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #14
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post

Agreed, which is why GSR recommends Stage1 at the moment for N20.

The reported blown N20 have been caused by 100% JB4 users when paired up to a DP.
Also the trans on the N20 is not as strong as it is on the N55, on N20 currently the stable limit is 330, but some sources say up to 350 is the max stable limit. goon was getting misfires when his torque was going very high on his ECU Flash.

Also GSR Autosport has converted their 228 into a Track car, should be as fast or faster than Mr e46m3lol who has prob the fastest N20 currently but he upgraded his turbos.

Stubok has the right idea and by having his CP upgraded as well.

Theres another forum member running BR-Performance Stage1 custom on his Z4 28i who also tracks his car since mid january , he formerly ran JB4.

Quote:
From the limited research into the failures that I have done too, it seems it's a preignition issue when running high boost (23psi) and a down pipe, at the limit if the engine design (supposedly 450Nm).

hopefully these circumstances are far more preventable with an actual flash tune.

Also in the long run I am happy to keep the boost lower and thus torque in the 450Nm (330lbft) range, but upgrade the turbo so there isn't as much fall off.

My goal is to take this engine (as safely as possible) to 330lbft and 330hp at the wheel. 165hp per liter.

I plan to consult an engine builder on the conrods since those seem to be the highest risk item. Supposedly my goal is inside the capabilities of the OEM components.
+1

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #15
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
Agreed, which is why GSR recommends Stage1 at the moment for N20.

The reported blown N20 have been caused by 100% JB4 users when paired up to a DP.
Also the trans on the N20 is not as strong as it is on the N55, on N20 currently the stable limit is 330, but some sources say up to 350 is the max stable limit. goon was getting misfires when his torque was going very high on his ECU Flash.

Also GSR Autosport has converted their 228 into a Track car, should be as fast or faster than Mr e46m3lol who has prob the fastest N20 currently but he upgraded his turbos.

Stubok has the right idea and by having his CP upgraded as well.

Theres another forum member running BR-Performance Stage1 custom on his Z4 28i who also tracks his car since mid january , he formerly ran JB4.

+1
e46m3lol's 228I recently blew a motor:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1133724

He was just running Map 1 on 91 octane.
      06-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #16
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:

WOW missed that and i knew it!
There's been reportd 3 others on the BMS forum.

I even commented on my friends JB4 + DP who got his engine replaced by BMWNA prior to that his JB4 melted battery cables (twice).

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28350

Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #17
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

Quote:

Yeah it sucks
I knew it was bound to happen just didn't expect it to happen this soon
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #18
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post
Yeah it sucks
I knew it was bound to happen just didn't expect it to happen this soon
Just started reading that thread today. That really suck, but a good source of info for everyone. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How much, if any, is due to the racing fuel? I was looking at the pic you posted..and the fuel contains lead. If memory serves, lead in an engine designed for unleaded doesn't play well with it and can cause all sorts of issues unfortunately ..
      06-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
OP how's the flash behaving, enjoying the car now more than ever?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #21
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
OP how's the flash behaving, enjoying the car now more than ever?
Ohhhhh yeah. 2.5k-4.5k rpm is just plain silly for a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder.

I did have my thermostat die on me a couple days after the install. Not sure if it is related (doubt it), but was replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #22
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
Ohhhhh yeah. 2.5k-4.5k rpm is just plain silly for a 2.0 liter 4-cylinder.

I did have my thermostat die on me a couple days after the install. Not sure if it is related (doubt it), but was replaced under warranty.
How did you know the thermostat died?

Guess they didn't detect anything unusual ...........(while performing the thermo fix)