F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Goodby To the F31 330D M Sport
Extreme Powerhouse

08-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Goodby To the F31 330D M Sport

Well after 10 Months ownership and 8350 Miles tomorrow the F31 is on her way to BMW Listers. It has been a great car, powerful and economical, with the exception of the SAT-NAV being totally Rubbish, the car has performed well.
Whoever buys it will get a great car that burns NO Oil.

Loaner till Sunday morning and then The Monte Carlo Blue Monster arrives. Just can't sleep well these days.
      08-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Just a few more sleepless nights then
I've just ordered a car with sat nav pro...May I ask what you thought was wrong with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Just a few more sleepless nights then
I've just ordered a car with sat nav pro...May I ask what you thought was wrong with it?
The mapping was "Out of Date" some [post codes were "not even on it" like the E20 Olympic stadium , quite how they got their cars there is a mystery to me.
Also in "eco-pro Mode" the car was diverted off the A12 or A13 at a junction and back onto it off the SAME junction!!!!.
My HUD showed a right turn the Display showed a Left turn and the voice said Left turn, confusing you bet. This was only on the odd road but was enough to loose confidence in it altogether , if we were going somewhere we were not used too ( which is a lot) we cross referenced it with a map
What use is that?.
Anyway lets hope the latest Coms and Mapping is better.
      08-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

That would be frustrating! Fingers' crossed for our new 335's
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Well after 10 Months ownership and 8350 Miles tomorrow the F31 is on her way to BMW Listers. It has been a great car, powerful and economical, with the exception of the SAT-NAV being totally Rubbish, the car has performed well.

Loaner till Sunday morning and then The Monte Carlo Blue Monster arrives. Just can't sleep well these days.
Just one thing get ready for the event John.

Charge the batteries for the camera

PS: If you would like me to run your new car in, anything for a friend, I won't even charge
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Just one thing get ready for the event John.

Charge the batteries for the camera

PS: If you would like me to run your new car in, anything for a friend, I won't even charge
Yea join the queue , batteries in and ready, but driving first. For the first 40 miles anyway, going to leave the wife at home Sunday morning, we do not have any valium handy.
      08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Yea join the queue , batteries in and ready, but driving first. For the first 40 miles anyway, going to leave the wife at home Sunday morning, we do not have any valium handy.
Sure you don't want me to run it in for you....it's such a chore
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Your new car will be epic for sure. Post back on here how you getting on with it, it's not a 3 series but I'm sure many people will be interested.

Shame your nav is so bad and just hoping the 2014 one is better.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Sure you don't want me to run it in for you....it's such a chore
I am going to "Run it hardish" for the first 40 miles or so once warmed up. I will manage Just. Thanks anyway.
      08-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Your new car will be epic for sure. Post back on here how you getting on with it, it's not a 3 series but I'm sure many people will be interested.

Shame your nav is so bad and just hoping the 2014 one is better.
I will be on here anyway watching you guys enjoying this 335D flyer.
Yep I am hoping the latest Nav will be an improvement, fingers crossed.
      08-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
I will be on here anyway watching you guys enjoying this 335D flyer.
Yep I am hoping the latest Nav will be an improvement, fingers crossed.
Going to be a long week John - at least I'm on holiday
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:
The mapping was "Out of Date" some [post codes were "not even on it" like the E20 Olympic stadium , quite how they got their cars there is a mystery to me.
Also in "eco-pro Mode" the car was diverted off the A12 or A13 at a junction and back onto it off the SAME junction!!!!.
My HUD showed a right turn the Display showed a Left turn and the voice said Left turn, confusing you bet. This was only on the odd road but was enough to loose confidence in it altogether , if we were going somewhere we were not used too ( which is a lot) we cross referenced it with a map
What use is that?.
Anyway lets hope the latest Coms and Mapping is better.
Yes, I have three gripes about the satnav. First of all, the mapping is terrible. It doesn't even have my home address. And it's not like my address is anywhere particularly obscure. I live at no. 15 in my road, but it doesn't recognise a no. 15 at my postcode at all. It recognises various random numbers between 2 and 19 but not mine.

Secondly, when you send a route from Bmwonline, it doesn't follow the route you sent it. It makes up its own route to the destination, not the one you asked for. What's the point of spending so much time developing such a feature that quite transparently doesn't work?

Thirdly the directions are confusing, in that they always seem a bit late. It will say "now turn left" after I have already passed the road where I was supposed to turn left. Also the position on the map seems to lag behind where the car actually is.

There's a lot right with it - eg the voice is nice and clear and the integration with the HUD is good. But the first and third problems are just plain stupid and I've never seen them on any other system. The second is an innovation that is good in theory but simply doesn't work. Not great for a 2000 quid option.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Going to be a long week John - at least I'm on holiday
Lucky bugger
      08-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Yes, I have three gripes about the satnav. First of all, the mapping is terrible. It doesn't even have my home address. And it's not like my address is anywhere particularly obscure. I live at no. 15 in my road, but it doesn't recognise a no. 15 at my postcode at all. It recognises various random numbers between 2 and 19 but not mine.

Secondly, when you send a route from Bmwonline, it doesn't follow the route you sent it. It makes up its own route to the destination, not the one you asked for. What's the point of spending so much time developing such a feature that quite transparently doesn't work?

Thirdly the directions are confusing, in that they always seem a bit late. It will say "now turn left" after I have already passed the road where I was supposed to turn left. Also the position on the map seems to lag behind where the car actually is.

There's a lot right with it - eg the voice is nice and clear and the integration with the HUD is good. But the first and third problems are just plain stupid and I've never seen them on any other system. The second is an innovation that is good in theory but simply doesn't work. Not great for a 2000 quid option.
Could be a "Software update" for your car to improve, my X3 35D m Sport was like that, i would be passing the turning that it said to take, almost had to slow right down to get in sync.
The F31 does not do that, my car was delivered november 2012.
      08-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #15
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 GTS & M4 GTS

Quote:
I am going to "Run it hardish" for the first 40 miles or so once warmed up. I will manage Just. Thanks anyway.
Remember to keep it under 4k revs for first 1,000 miles - Yeah like that is going to be easy!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGLL66 View Post
Remember to keep it under 4k revs for first 1,000 miles - Yeah like that is going to be easy!!!
The book says 5.5K RPM once warmed up.

Has something changed do you think.
I was going to run it (once hot) up and down the rev range of 2 too 5K RPM with long in gear slow-downs, for the first 40 miles or so, then ease off to normal use.
      08-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #17
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:

I was going to run it (once hot) up and down the rev range of 2 too 5K RPM with long in gear slow-downs, for the first 40 miles or so, then ease off to normal use.
I hope you been saving up for petrol as you will notice a huge difference in consumption after the 330D

A friend of mine has an E61 M5 Touring and drove it down to Sardinia and managed 8mpg driving around on the Island !

Drove home and 2 days later the rear air suspension failed completely and he was told that no parts are available as BMW no longer made them !!

He now has a CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake on order....

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
I hope you been saving up for petrol as you will notice a huge difference in consumption after the 330D

A friend of mine has an E61 M5 Touring and drove it down to Sardinia and managed 8mpg driving around on the Island !

Drove home and 2 days later the rear air suspension failed completely and he was told that no parts are available as BMW no longer made them !!

He now has a CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake on order....
Well the saying goes Steve "you only live once" so I am living it.
Sure fuel consumption will be heavy but performance will be high, so

Plus the car is so comfortable and TBH unique as I have not seen one in my county.

PS) had the offer of the very last "Special edition E60 M5", took it out for a day and could not get out of it quick enough, "A real DOG"
Noisy crap gearbox, fuel consumption "Horrific" , this M5 is light years away from that one.

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 08-27-2013 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 GTS & M4 GTS

Quote:

Good luck with self control as I couldn't get enough of the accceleration. Dealer told me you can take it higher in rev range, but only occasionally. The 1k miles seemed to take forever thou!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post

Totally agree....marvellous concept, very poor execution.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #21
Rodders123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Quote:

Excuse my ignorance but what is an M5 LCI?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

I've just returned from a trip to SPA-Franochamps and I found the pro-nav great. While I admit its not perfect, it got me around Belgium fine, though admittedly I had to navigate myself around the road blocks around the circuit, but that wasn't too much trouble.

I also found bmw online very very useful. I didn't have any roaming data allowance on my phone so trying to find supermarkets and also getting the weather forecasts etc was very handy.

Is it worth £2000, probably not. Would I get it again... probably would TBH.

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0