F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > M4 vs M2
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
SchnellList
Private First Class
SchnellList's Avatar
24
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: 2004 M3 & 2010 335d
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

M4 vs M2

Hey guys,

Since learning about the M4, I fell in love with it. I currently have an E46 M3 but know that I will upgrade soon but have been saving to buy the M4. After driving one I felt it was perfect in all the categories, the electric steering wasn't bad just different from what I am use to with my M3.

After finally hearing some dates on the the new M2, I now think I should wait to buy it once it comes out.

Do you think the M2 will be be similar to the 1M? If so should I wait for the M2 or buy a M4?

This wouldn't be a daily driver and I would take either of them to track multiple times a year.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
844
Rep
5,566
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloybmwm3 View Post
Hey guys,

Since learning about the M4, I fell in love with it. I currently have an E46 M3 but know that I will upgrade soon but have been saving to buy the M4. After driving one I felt it was perfect in all the categories, the electric steering wasn't bad just different from what I am use to with my M3.

After finally hearing some dates on the the new M2, I now think I should wait to buy it once it comes out.

Do you think the M2 will be be similar to the 1M? If so should I wait for the M2 or buy a M4?

This wouldn't be a daily driver and I would take either of them to track multiple times a year.
No one really knows anything about the M2. However, I'll offer this: Unless BMW M changes the car substantially, the M2 won't really be anything special compared to the M235i.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
2670
Rep
10,654
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
No one really knows anything about the M2. However, I'll offer this: Unless BMW M changes the car substantially, the M2 won't really be anything special compared to the M235i.
That's what they said about the 1M vs 135i and that's obviously not the case.

They're going to bolt on M3/4 parts all over the M2. The brakes are a huge improvement for once (I'm jealous, wish I had them on my E92), as well as that amazing suspension components from the M3/4 which is always awesome. Engine wish, I don't expect much, but those other changes alone, as well as a really aggressive exterior from what we've seen in the spy pics, is enough for me to want one.

Whether you want an M2 or M4, that's a completely different story and a personal choice. Personally, I want a smaller car than the M4, so the M2 fits the bill.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
fcman
Lieutenant
121
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
No one really knows anything about the M2. However, I'll offer this: Unless BMW M changes the car substantially, the M2 won't really be anything special compared to the M235i.
Out of curiosity, what would make you think they won't change much? Has there been an M car that wasn't a significant step up from the standard car? Genuinely curious.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
844
Rep
5,566
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Well, basing on simple comparison, the gap between 135 and 1M isn't huge, the largest part of that is the suspension and the rear diff.

Since the M235i is already tuned for PSS tires and (supposedly) the M2 will get the same engine, what do they change? Tweak the suspension a little for more track duty, brakes, and a widebody?

I REALLY want to be wrong.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
fcman
Lieutenant
121
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Well, basing on simple comparison, the gap between 135 and 1M isn't huge, the largest part of that is the suspension and the rear diff.

Since the M235i is already tuned for PSS tires and (supposedly) the M2 will get the same engine, what do they change? Tweak the suspension a little for more track duty, brakes, and a widebody?

I REALLY want to be wrong.
I guess that's true, but I don't really care about power that much. Give me a track ready suspension, an LSD, and some better cooling and I'll take it. I do think they kinda painted themselves into a corner by making the M3/4 a TT 6-cylinder though. Doesn't really leave any room for the M2 to be anything other than an N55 with a small power bump, but you never know. The fact that the 1M was a limited run car explains why it was pretty reserved. But since this is a full run production car, they should have some a lot more money and freedom to play with.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
WW435
Major
WW435's Avatar
85
Rep
1,163
Posts

Drives: '15 435 xDrive & '12 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Well, basing on simple comparison, the gap between 135 and 1M isn't huge, the largest part of that is the suspension and the rear diff.

Since the M235i is already tuned for PSS tires and (supposedly) the M2 will get the same engine, what do they change? Tweak the suspension a little for more track duty, brakes, and a widebody?

I REALLY want to be wrong.
M2 is getting a different engine than the M240i apparently. According to Scott the M2 motor will be a modified N55 that will also be used on the M performance x4 while the M240i gets the new motor that will be shared across the whole BMW line up. Or correct me if I'm wrong here...
__________________
Past: 1999 M3 2003 M5 2006 330i 2007 335i 2009 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
fcman
Lieutenant
121
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
M2 is getting a different engine than the M240i apparently. According to Scott the M2 motor will be a modified N55 that will also be used on the M performance x4 while the M240i gets the new motor that will be shared across the whole BMW line up. Or correct me if I'm wrong here...
So they're gonna do the exact same thing the did with the 1M? Give the old motor a last hurrah and release an updated standard car with a new motor?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
844
Rep
5,566
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
So they're gonna do the exact same thing the did with the 1M? Give the old motor a last hurrah and release an updated standard car with a new motor?
FFS Just give it the S65 and all the carbon fiber treatments that the M3/4 has. Lighter than the old M3 to let the V8 pull hard, but without the turbo kick that the new one has so BMW can feel comfortable that their "flagship" is safe..

Too bad they'll never do it.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
WW435
Major
WW435's Avatar
85
Rep
1,163
Posts

Drives: '15 435 xDrive & '12 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
So they're gonna do the exact same thing the did with the 1M? Give the old motor a last hurrah and release an updated standard car with a new motor?
Yes exactly. The 1M had the 335is N54 motor that was replaced by the N55 and the M2 will have a variation of the N55 while the new 2s and 3s get the new motors. This is how I understand it from reading the M2 forums.

Various web sites and car mags claim that the M2 could get a detuned M4 motor but that seems like a long shot and doesn't jive with the inside information Scott has been providing.
__________________
Past: 1999 M3 2003 M5 2006 330i 2007 335i 2009 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
694
Rep
6,100
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Scott's "inside information" has proved to be just as reliable as our assumptions and guesses.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
fcman
Lieutenant
121
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
FFS Just give it the S65 and all the carbon fiber treatments that the M3/4 has. Lighter than the old M3 to let the V8 pull hard, but without the turbo kick that the new one has so BMW can feel comfortable that their "flagship" is safe..

Too bad they'll never do it.
No way in hell would bmw give a lower numbered series more cylinders. It's always been M3 + 2 cylinders = M5. The 1M was M3 - 2 cylinders.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Twix's Avatar
Canada
264
Rep
1,724
Posts

Drives: F87 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Maybe they'll do a really high strung four pot. Maybe a throwback to the E30. But whatever the M2 is, it better be light.
__________________
2016 M2 - 6MT
2014 X1 - Sold
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" TF lift - 42" LED bar - 4" LED spots
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
844
Rep
5,566
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
No way in hell would bmw give a lower numbered series more cylinders. It's always been M3 + 2 cylinders = M5. The 1M was M3 - 2 cylinders.
Fact is no car is using the S65 anymore. I think it's safe to say it's dead, Jim. Also, going by your logic then the M2 would be a 4 cylinder turbo. This was rumored as well, and let's hope it's not the case. The car would have to be incredibly light by their standards to be properly "M Car" lively with a tuned up 4 banger. I'd think sub 3000 lbs, which is just not happening.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #15
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
813
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.62]
the M2 will be a really good car. Unfortunately it is handicapped by the N55 engine, which isn't really as captivating of an engine as the N54 was. More reliable though, in all likelihood.

Still, i think BMW will do a good job with the M2. It won't be limited edition or as 'unique' as the 1M---but i think it will be a good, slightly cheaper, slightly lighter (although the M235 is really heavy), and slightly slower alternative to the M4.

My philosophy is not to wait for things. If you love the M4, go for it....if you don't, then wait for the M2. If you are really adventurous and want to have a shitload of fun---get a used 1M

Last edited by IEDEI; 11-19-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #16
fcman
Lieutenant
121
Rep
576
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the M2 will be a really good car. Unfortunately it is handicapped by the N55 engine, which isn't really as captivating of an engine as the N54 was. More reliable though, in all likelihood.
The N54 was good for tuners looking for cheap power, but for 99% of people the N55 is the better engine. The only real weakness of the N55 is the turbo. All BMW would need to do is strap a larger turbo (or two) on the N55.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
NickyC
Brigadier General
1450
Rep
3,165
Posts

Drives: Z4M Roadster - God's Chariot
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Somewhere I don't want to be

iTrader: (14)

Buy a C7. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
nicknaz
Major General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
1060
Rep
8,242
Posts

Drives: E84 X135
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Should be good decision with either car.

M4 with stickier tires and aftermarket brake pads seems like a good setup so far

C6 Z06 prices are getting lower now. If it is a mostly a track car, it is hard to ignore a C6 Z06 that has already been setup for track by the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #19
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
813
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.62]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the M2 will be a really good car. Unfortunately it is handicapped by the N55 engine, which isn't really as captivating of an engine as the N54 was. More reliable though, in all likelihood.
The N54 was good for tuners looking for cheap power, but for 99% of people the N55 is the better engine. The only real weakness of the N55 is the turbo. All BMW would need to do is strap a larger turbo (or two) on the N55.
I don't tune my cars and have driven all forms of these engines across the range (135, 135is and now 1M) and the N54 feels much more powerful and beastly across the range. The N55 is a really good engine....but not as exciting as the N54 IMO....at least by butt dyno....

I'm sure BMW will do a great job at tuning the M2s N55 though....
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
71
Rep
744
Posts

Drives: 135is :) 192/586
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: LA, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I don't tune my cars and have driven all forms of these engines across the range (135, 135is and now 1M) and the N54 feels much more powerful and beastly across the range. The N55 is a really good engine....but not as exciting as the N54 IMO....at least by butt dyno....

I'm sure BMW will do a great job at tuning the M2s N55 though....
I agree with this. I drove an e89 Z4 35i (N54) with DCT and it felt faster than my e82 135is (N55 w/ PPK2 and PE if PE does something for power) with DCT. It was close but it did feel faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #21
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
SilentAttack's Avatar
65
Rep
1,778
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

Id wait on the M2 or get a M235 over the M4
__________________
Stupid Photobucket
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #22
E46M3forRay
GŁdentyte
E46M3forRay's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 and E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antioch CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
It's a toss up between the two and you can't go wrong neither one. M2 will be a performer no matter how you slice it just like its M4 brother.
__________________

CURRENT - Alpine Weiss E90 M3 6MT | CURRENT - 5th Gen 4Runner Limited 4wd | SOLD - E90 335i | SOLD - Toyota FJ Cruiser AT | SOLD - E46 M3 Vert 6MT | SOLD - E39 Dinan M5 6MT | SOLD - B5 S4 bi-turbo 6MT | SOLD - EVO VIII turbo 6MT | SOLD - Integra GSR turbo 5MT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:31 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST