F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > F31 on order -- less than a week to make changes -- opinions sought
proTUNING Freaks

07-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
captnwagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

F31 on order -- less than a week to make changes -- opinions sought

I'm picking up my F31 at Welt in early Sept. I have less than a week to make any changes to my order, but I am undecided about the specs. At the risk of oversharing, I would appreciate some collective wisdom.

Here's my build as it stands now:

Estoril Blue
Saddle brown leather
Ash Grain Wood Tim
Cold Weather
Drivers Assistance
M Sport
Premium
Track Handling
Navigation
Side and Top View Cameras
Harmon Kardon
Enhanced Bluetooth

I'm getting it for ED invoice, which is $7500 below the MSRP for US delivery. That's a good price, but damn, my options totaled $13,000. That's an awful lot considering that the utility of most of the options are debatable, at least to me. Here's how I got there:

1. leather. I have a young kid, so easy-to-clean leatherette makes some sense. But I don't love any of the sensatec colors, and I do love the saddle brown, which is *finally* available on the M Sport. Plus, who gets vinyl seats in a car like this?

2. navigation. I have nav in my other cars but still just use my iPhone. But again, who gets a car like this w/o nav? I plan to keep this car, but if I ever change my mind and want to sell this thing in a couple of years, I had better put in nav.

3. side and top cameras. I am wary of becoming reliant on electronic nannies -- after all, we have necks and can use them. But then, if this feature prevents me or the valet from curbing my wheels just once, it pays for itself.

4. track. Some of the early reviews of the VSS on the 340 are scary. But I discount those reviews, and I want the non-run flat tires, which will probably be the most noticeable improvement to the ride quality of the car.

5. premium. I prefer the look of LED headlights and find the LED lights in my other car to be an improvement for my eyes. But is it worth $1545?

6. cold weather. My wife's only request was for the car to have heated seats. An extra $300 to heat the steering wheel and back seats didn't seem like a big deal on a car like this.

7. M Sport. This used to be a no-brainer, but it's not a good value now that the sport line trim is included in the 2016 models. Still, the F31 just looks so much better to me with the M sport body kit. Not many people will see a difference, but I will see it every time I walk up to my car. Also, I dig EB, which of course is only available with M sport and like that it will stand out from the many AW and MG BMW's in SoCal. But red also looks pretty great on the F31, so M Sport is not totally essential.

8. Enhanced Bluetooth. The default blue tooth is pretty good, but I do a lot of calls in my car, so I figure $320 is a small price if the second microphone is just a little better.

So, of the $13K in options, I only consider the paint, back-up camera, and Harmon Kardon to be super important, and the rest is just nice to have. I could be saving close to $11K if I exercised more restraint. The debate comes down to this: I could be getting the base F31, which is a phenomenal car, for $39K -- just about the best deal in the world of family cars. Or, $11K lets me have the car that I want without compromises.

Other considerations: I plan to keep this car in the family for 10+ years, but in 2-3 years I'll probably hand it off to my wife to be her DD, though it will still function as the family car for road trips, which we do a lot of -- that's why we're getting the wagon in the first place. She doesn't care at all how I spec the car. And I can afford the car either way. It's really the principle of it.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #2
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

I recently picked up a 2015 M sport f31. I know its not as good a value in 2016, but the M sport steering wheel and body kit are worth it alone.
Plus you wouldn't be able to get the Estoril color either.

Saddle is a great color - take the leather, its still pretty easy to wipe and clean. Just condition the leather every 3 months.

Nav - I dont have (never use) but it does look having a big screen but to me it will be outdated in 5 years (so wouldnt buy it).

Cameras - more things to go wrong, and believe me even if you have them, a valet is not going to care how he drives/parks the car.

Track package - I have non flat Michelins, definately worth it

Premium - I have the premium so I got the leather. You cant have an M-kit and have those base lights, its a bit more than just the LEDs, will definately help with resale. I have lighting package (dont like the plain lights)

Cold weather - worth it (I have it) for a few more $s. Kids will love the heated seats.

Enhanced blue tooth is clearer with 2 speakers and allows you to pair multiple phones and use them.

So to save some $s I'd cut out the nav and side/top cameras, but great spec.
Appreciate 0