F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Updating iDrive for iOS 6
Studio RSR

11-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
Splaaat
w00t
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Updating iDrive for iOS 6

Hellow,

I recently updated my phone to iOS 6 since it wouldn't pair with my jailbroken iOS 5. While the pairing works perfectly now, I realised that I couldn't access my messages or mails on the iDrive. I do have the Nav Pro and Enhanced Bluetooth.

I got the latest update from the BMW site using my VIN. Formatted a 8GB thumb drive to MS-DOS format and loaded the '.bin' file I got. (Am I supposed to de-compress the .bin file?) Now, once I plug this into the glove box USB and proceed to the software update, iDrive does not recognise it.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I use the USB located under the armrest. Just leave it as a .bin and plug it in.
I don't know if it also possible to use the one in the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 328i

You don't need to decompress the .bin file. Is the.bin file in any folders? I think the car will only locate the file if it is not in a folder.

edit: when you say ms-dos format, is that different from windows format? That could be your issue.
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Splaaat
w00t
Rep

I haven't tried updating via the arm-rest. Will give it a shot. Hopefully, that works.

By MS-DOS format, I believe it's FAT32. There are no folders, just the .bin file.

Tried it a couple of times with the glove-box drive, but no-success.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splaaat View Post
I haven't tried updating via the arm-rest. Will give it a shot. Hopefully, that works.

By MS-DOS format, I believe it's FAT32. There are no folders, just the .bin file.

Tried it a couple of times with the glove-box drive, but no-success.
MS DOS didnt use FAT32 (i could be wrong) but Idrive needs the stick to be in FAT32 to update from the armrest
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
Splaaat
w00t
Rep

This is under Disk Utility on a Mac, so MS-DOS is FAT32 and then there is NTFS and ex-FAT compatible with Windows.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
Don't unzip anyhing. iDrive does that. Put the raw download on there. Make sure nothing else but that one file is on the thumb drive. Don't put it in a folder, has to be in the root of the thumb drive alone.

Start the engine, wait for iDrive to fully boot up, past splash screen, etc.

The thumb drive goes into the armrest USB port, not the glove compartment.

After the thumb drive is inserted, wait 20 seconds, let it be recognized. Don't rush it.

Go to settings, hit Update, it'll work.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Splaaat
w00t
Rep

Thanks Will try this and report back.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Heiznberg
///
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

On the same topic, has anyone been able to get mail messages to show in iDrive messages?

I downloaded the latest update and successfully installed it with the USB drive in the glovebox. It was very simple; iDrive found the file on its own. I can now see text messages but mail messages have never shown up. Any ideas?

I'm using iOS 6 on iPhone 5.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I think there are still issues with emails showing up. There is another thread on here all about iPhone/iDrive integration.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708682
Delivered: 328i Sport, Mineral grey, black leather, aluminium trim/red accent, Comfort access, Rear view camera, Sunroof, heated front seats, high beam assist, lane change warning, surround view, parking assistant, xenons, professional nav, internet and more.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hznbrg View Post
On the same topic, has anyone been able to get mail messages to show in iDrive messages?

I downloaded the latest update and successfully installed it with the USB drive in the glovebox. It was very simple; iDrive found the file on its own. I can now see text messages but mail messages have never shown up. Any ideas?

No, it's not a feature that's available yet. Texts only at this point.

However, it was announced by Apple a few months ago that Siri integration will be possible with iDrive and that's coming very soon. In fact, you can make Siri work right now. The only thing that's missing is the initial button press to launch Siri on your phone. From that point forward you can talk to Siri hands-free over the BMWs microphone and speaker system.

While driving, pick up your iPhone and press and hold the home button. Put the phone down. Ask Siri what the weather looks like for this weekend or to call the closest Chinese restaurant for a reservation.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
Heiznberg
///
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
Quote:

No, it's not a feature that's available yet. Texts only at this point.

However, it was announced by Apple a few months ago that Siri integration will be possible with iDrive and that's coming very soon. In fact, you can make Siri work right now. The only thing that's missing is the initial button press to launch Siri on your phone. From that point forward you can talk to Siri hands-free over the BMWs microphone and speaker system.

While driving, pick up your iPhone and press and hold the home button. Put the phone down. Ask Siri what the weather looks like for this weekend or to call the closest Chinese restaurant for a reservation.

BJ
Yes, I'm aware of Apple and BMW's upcoming Eyes Free feature. That'll be great, as the built in voice command is ancient compared to Siri. Any word on whether not this feature will be available on existing BMWs via software update, or will it only be available on new BMWs?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of Apple and BMW's upcoming Eyes Free feature. That'll be great, as the built in voice command is ancient compared to Siri. Any word on whether not this feature will be available on existing BMWs via software update, or will it only be available on new BMWs?
Apple and BMW have said nothing, but "full" Siri integration is already 99% available in all iDrive's right now.

The only thing missing is a button press on the steering wheel to initiate Siri in the first place. One can imagine a press-and-hold on the "voice" button or a double-tap on the "voice" button and that's that.

Siri can read text messages to you with just one command and can compose and send text messages with just two commands. Right now, Siri can't read/compose email but I'm sure that's coming too.

The real Siri question is this: Will BMW allow Siri to send driving directions to the iDrive system. Saying "find Chinese restaurant" is nice, but it isn't that good if it can't send it straight to the nav.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
Splaaat
w00t
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Don't unzip anyhing. iDrive does that. Put the raw download on there. Make sure nothing else but that one file is on the thumb drive. Don't put it in a folder, has to be in the root of the thumb drive alone.

Start the engine, wait for iDrive to fully boot up, past splash screen, etc.

The thumb drive goes into the armrest USB port, not the glove compartment.

After the thumb drive is inserted, wait 20 seconds, let it be recognized. Don't rush it.

Go to settings, hit Update, it'll work.

BJ
Well, this didn't seem to work. I'm going to try it with a few other thumb-drives.

It continues to give an error something like, "No USB stick with update found..."

EDIT: Oh well, that didn't work either. Tried with another drive. The USB ports have been working with music etc. without any issues.

Last edited by Splaaat; 11-10-2012 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well, this didn't seem to work. I'm going to try it with a few other thumb-drives.

It continues to give an error something like, "No USB stick with update found..."

EDIT: Oh well, that didn't work either. Tried with another drive. The USB ports have been working with music etc. without any issues.
The only thing left that it could be is whatever ms-dos formatting you attempted.

Go to the grocery store and buy a virgin USB thumb drive for $5 and try again.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Latinnftl
Rep
Drives: MY 13 328i Mineral Grey

Actually emails do work but intermittently. I have been able to get them to pop up on occasion but it is a gauntlet of changing the number of messages and a whole host of other steps none of which ever seems consistent. I finally gave up. Like txt messages if they are too long they won't show in their entirety when you're driving. Also without the ability to respond verbally it is more gimmick then anything else.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #17
scou3821
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinnftl View Post
Actually emails do work but intermittently. I have been able to get them to pop up on occasion but it is a gauntlet of changing the number of messages and a whole host of other steps none of which ever seems consistent. I finally gave up. Like txt messages if they are too long they won't show in their entirety when you're driving. Also without the ability to respond verbally it is more gimmick then anything else.
Agree that they do occasionally show up. When they did come through for me they appeared in the same section as for text messages. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Guys once you update the software to latest version that version does not mention iOS 6, it only mentions iOS 5, still not able to get texts, what I'm I doing wrong
      11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
Guys once you update the software to latest version that version does not mention iOS 6, it only mentions iOS 5, still not able to get texts, what I'm I doing wrong
I have an idea:

Why not create 3 threads asking the same question so the same posters you need to help you can get annoyed and tell you to create a 4th thread?

Here's what you're doing wrong: You are not taking the time to find the thread with the 10 step process that shows you exactly how to get text messaging to work. It's not a simple thing. You need to do this then do that then do this then do that in a specific order on multiple screens on your iPhone and in iDrive.

BJ
Appreciate 0