F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW and Apple integration
GetBMWParts

09-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #23
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

new iPhone won't work with any audio docks then. That doesn't make any sense. What about the millions of hotel rooms with iPod docks and the millions of homes with them?

Obviously when BMW make a new cradle, everything will be fine but I can't see this working with the old one ...
      09-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
new iPhone won't work with any audio docks then. That doesn't make any sense. What about the millions of hotel rooms with iPod docks and the millions of homes with them?

Obviously when BMW make a new cradle, everything will be fine but I can't see this working with the old one ...
You're confusing a minor feature with the primary purpose of the product.

"iPod Out" and "Plays Music Through My Car System w/Steering Wheel Control" are two different things.

iPod Out (for the handful of cars that supported it) had an Apple TV appearance and sexier fonts, a few tweaky features like video. That's it. "iPod Out" is a brand name for a protocol that no one uses. It's Apple trying to make the UI feel more like Apple and less like BMW.

If you own a car that just used the white Apple USB cable, everything will work the way it did with the new adapter. If your car used a Y cable or other connection then adding the new adapter will work there too.

"iPod Out" is just a bad and confusing name. Unless you have a snap-in adapter you wouldn't even know it exists. For your hotel room analogy, you ave your iPhone 5 and the little white adapter. You plug it in when you're in the room. Everything works as normal (music, charging, etc.). The hotel clock dock never used iPod Out anyway so no worries.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

D'you know what's really funny?

Since the press went mad over the lack of auidio out with this new connector thingy, they've changed the wording on the Apple store now

It looks like all will be fine
      09-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #26
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
"iPod Out" is a brand name for a protocol that no one uses.
BMW uses it! And quite well, actually. I love iPod Out via 6NR + media cradle. I don't want to go back to the standard way of navigating my music. iPod Out just works, and works well.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Are ew talking the BMW Apps integration for browsing the iPod here?
      09-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Since the press went mad over the lack of auidio out with this new connector thingy, they've changed the wording on the Apple store now

Yeah, it never should have been called "iPod Out". Should have been called "Enhanced iPod Features And Display For Third-Party Systems Whose Engineers We Don't Trust".

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #29
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
BMW uses it! And quite well, actually. I love iPod Out via 6NR + media cradle. I don't want to go back to the standard way of navigating my music. iPod Out just works, and works well.

And that's cool and you won't lose that functionality with either an iPhone 4 (wait to upgrade until the snap-in is released in 6 months) or an iPhone 5 (when they release its snap-in adapter).

Since the iPhone 5 won't fit in your snap-in now anyway, there's nothing to be upset about. This entire conversation revolves around those who will use the new 30 Pin To Digital Lightning Adapter (pic above) and that a) has nothing to do with the snap-in at all and b) those people don't have iPod Out anyway so they're not losing anything.

This Lightning Adapter has no purpose in an F30 so we shouldn't even be talking about it. iPhone 5 users, just plug in the new cord that ships with the phone next week. iPhone 4 users, just stick with the cord you've been using for two years. This adapter is for things like a docking clock radio that has the old male 30 pin connector and you want to dock your iPhone 5 into it. For that you need this Lightning adapter.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #30
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

So will an iPhone 5 with the cable have as much functionality as the iPhone 4S with a cradle?
      09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #31
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
So will an iPhone 5 with the cable have as much functionality as the iPhone 4S with a cradle?
So far, yes. The distinction is that some devices don't have a USB port. So, for example:
  • Let's say I have an iPod clock/radio
  • There's a 30-pin dock connector on top
  • I buy a new iPhone 5
  • Obviously, I can't just set it down on the clock radio, because the connectors don't match
  • I buy a 30-pin to Lightning connector adapter
  • My clock radio works fine because it never used "iPod Out", it only used standard audio, which works fine

In the case of a BMW, there are different ways to connect your phone to your car:
  • Older cars used a Y-cable with a 30-pin and a standard audio minijack connector
  • Newer cars connect via USB or cradle

Older cars are unaffected, because they use analog audio, which means the 30-pin to Lightning adapter will work fine.

Newer cars are where things get muddy, but it appears that it is not as bad as it seems. If you have a cradle, you can toss it in the drawer, because it won't work with the new iPhone 5. Period. There's no adapting it. If you tried to use the 30-pin to Lightning cable adapter to jerry rig it, you'd still fail, because the cradle relies on iPod out for the enhanced iPod interface, Pandora interface, etc.

The solution for newer cars is to use the USB port located in the center console to connect the phone directly to the car using the standard Lightning USB cable provided with the phone. There's no adapter required, because the car has a standard USB port.

However, this assumes that the car is ready to talk to the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. I don't know if these are correct assumptions, but I'm hoping.

EDIT: One caveat is that I don't believe video works at all without the cradle, but maybe someone else can confirm. I never use video, so I don't know.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #32
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Quote:

Link?

I found this but that could just be a limitation of the adaptor:

"This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Support for analog audio output, USB audio, as well as syncing and charging. Video output not supported."

Are we sure the Lightning contact doesn't output video/images in any way?

Last edited by Micleg; 09-14-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
... the cradle relies on iPod out for the enhanced iPod interface, Pandora interface, etc.

The solution for newer cars is to use the USB port located in the center console to connect the phone directly to the car using the standard Lightning USB cable provided with the phone. There's no adapter required, because the car has a standard USB port.
This is what I'm hoping carries over. I had every intention of buying the media cradle for my 4S because of the enhanced iPod interface. If I can acheive that by simply using the lightning to USB cable then that acheives the same thing and I'm a happy chappy
      09-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #34
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post

EDIT: One caveat is that I don't believe video works at all without the cradle, but maybe someone else can confirm. I never use video, so I don't know.
Quote:
This is what I'm hoping carries over. I had every intention of buying the media cradle for my 4S because of the enhanced iPod interface. If I can acheive that by simply using the lightning to USB cable then that acheives the same thing and I'm a happy chappy
BMW makes money selling snap-in adapters and the only really killer feature that the snap-in gives you that the standard USB doesn't is iPod Out. So, no, the iPhone 5 will not give you the iPod Out display without the $200 snap-in adapter which won't be available until March.

The snap-in adapter features:

Rapid charging
Apple TV looking UI
Better reception
Video when the car is not moving

I get great reception, the regular USB cord charges well enough, video is useless, and BMW's UI is very good and not in need of replacing.

The deal breaker for me is that when using the snap-in adapter you cannot use split screen with navigation and that's what my LCD looks like 100% of the time. I'll never sacrifice the 70/30 map/entertainment details display for the sake of the iPod Out display which puts an album cover art dead center and wastes the rest of the space. The map + album cover art is much better.

Not to mention that when navigating to a destination the arrow display and lane assist display do not overtake the iPod Out display the way they do with the standard iDrive + USB display. It's really a step backwards. The subtleties male all the difference.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #35
danarcher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i F30, 1984 325e E30

Garage List
1984 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I only have the cradle because it's so convenient to just snap my phone in without looking. I hate having to reach and plug.

New feature for iOS 6: iPod Out now supports full iTunes Match integration. So when you have iTunes Match on your phone, all your music shows in the iPod Out display, and streams without downloading. Previously, it only showed what was physically stored on iPhone.
      09-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #36
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
BMW makes money selling snap-in adapters and the only really killer feature that the snap-in gives you that the standard USB doesn't is iPod Out. So, no, the iPhone 5 will not give you the iPod Out display without the $200 snap-in adapter which won't be available until March.

The snap-in adapter features:

Rapid charging
Apple TV looking UI
Better reception
Video when the car is not moving

I get great reception, the regular USB cord charges well enough, video is useless, and BMW's UI is very good and not in need of replacing.

The deal breaker for me is that when using the snap-in adapter you cannot use split screen with navigation and that's what my LCD looks like 100% of the time. I'll never sacrifice the 70/30 map/entertainment details display for the sake of the iPod Out display which puts an album cover art dead center and wastes the rest of the space. The map + album cover art is much better.

Not to mention that when navigating to a destination the arrow display and lane assist display do not overtake the iPod Out display the way they do with the standard iDrive + USB display. It's really a step backwards. The subtleties male all the difference.

BJ
I have the snap-in, and I never use it except occasionally at weekends for charging (weekdays my iPhone charges all day in the office so don't need it). I never use USB connection either just the Bluetooth audio. It's just ridiculously inconvenient to have the iPhone locked away under the center armrest.

What BMW should have designed is a dock connector somewhere near the cupholders so you can still glance at the iPhone screen and have it docked.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #37
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since the iPhone 5 won't fit in your snap-in now anyway, there's nothing to be upset about.
You bet there is something to be upset about. I realize the iPhone 5 doesn't "snap in" to my current cradle, but I ordered a Lighting adapter that's .2M long. The 30pin female part will connect to my cradle, and the new 8-pin end can just dangle in the center console for me to connect my iPhone 5. That's not a very big compromise, at all. But the "missing iPod Out" is really a bummer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I have the snap-in, and I never use it except occasionally at weekends for charging (weekdays my iPhone charges all day in the office so don't need it). I never use USB connection either just the Bluetooth audio. It's just ridiculously inconvenient to have the iPhone locked away under the center armrest.

What BMW should have designed is a dock connector somewhere near the cupholders so you can still glance at the iPhone screen and have it docked.
For just these reasons I got a beater iPod Touch which lives in the car 24/7 to handle my iTunes music collection, playlists, playcounts, etc.

With wi-fi, the iPod never needs to leave the car, just pulling the car into the garage sync's it to iTunes.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
We dont know yet but my guess is that an iphone 5 with the cable will do as much as the iphone 4 with the cable....but less than the iphone 4 with the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #40
ducatiboy72
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport

Garage List
I was really excited about getting the apps option because of BMWs new iPhone SDK which allows all 3 party developers to create iPhone apps integrated with the ca via the plugin feature. This meant we could expect a lot of cool apps.

Apps will not however work unless the lightning connector can do the same as the old one. Or BMW does some hardware changes (or a very smart cradle with both hardware and software. It seems BMW is working on it, lets hope they find a fix for existing cars:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/09/apple-lightning-bmw-mini/
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #41
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Well my original plan was to get a 64GB 5 and give the wife my 16GB 4S and everyone's a winner. Since it seems patently clear that the 5 currently has less functionality than the 4S in a BMW then I think I'm just gonna buy myself a 64GB 4S second hand and lert the wife have mine then we can both have compatible devices and not have to buy more toys
      09-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #42
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiboy72 View Post
I was really excited about getting the apps option because of BMWs new iPhone SDK which allows all 3 party developers to create iPhone apps integrated with the ca via the plugin feature. This meant we could expect a lot of cool apps.

Apps will not however work unless the lightning connector can do the same as the old one. Or BMW does some hardware changes (or a very smart cradle with both hardware and software. It seems BMW is working on it, lets hope they find a fix for existing cars:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/09...ning-bmw-mini/
You are incorrect.

Your assumptions and that article only applies to those who own the docking cradle with snap-in adaptor. They are the only ones losing any functionality.

For the rest of us who just use the USB port, nothing changes. Just plug the USB end of the new Lightning cord into the USB port in the armrest and you're done.

BMW apps will work just fine with the iPhone 5.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #43
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

OK. Here's the deal. Can anyone actually provide a clear answer with proof here?

Here's my life:

I have a 4S right now and it's 16GB - it's not beg enough for my needs. I've held off getting the wife a new phone so that when the 5 launched, I could get a 5 64GB and give her my 4S 16GB and everyone's happy. I have specced my new F30 up with all the media toys and have every intention of using a cradle. I wanted (and want) maximum functionality from my iPhone through iDrive. I wanted the snazzy iPod interface so the "media cradle" seemed to be the best option.

Now the iPhone 5 has thrown a spanner in the works, not only because there is no cradle (but I don't mind waiting til March if that is an option) but because there seems to be some confusion over what lightning can do.

Am I right in thinking that if there were an iPhone 5 cradle, right now, that it would have ALL of the funcitonality of the iPhone 4S cradle? Or is this intrinsic lack of "ipod out" a feature of lightning? Or is it just he adapter?

I am perfectly happy to just get a 64GB 4S and a current cradle and be done with it but I'd like to get a 5 if that's an option.

So what can I actually do? What are my options? Oh, and also, the idea of having my phone in a cooled cradle appeals to me beause I know how hot phones get!

Thanks guys
      09-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #44
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK. Here's the deal. Can anyone actually provide a clear answer with proof here?

Here's my life:

I have a 4S right now and it's 16GB - it's not beg enough for my needs. I've held off getting the wife a new phone so that when the 5 launched, I could get a 5 64GB and give her my 4S 16GB and everyone's happy. I have specced my new F30 up with all the media toys and have every intention of using a cradle. I wanted (and want) maximum functionality from my iPhone through iDrive. I wanted the snazzy iPod interface so the "media cradle" seemed to be the best option.

Now the iPhone 5 has thrown a spanner in the works, not only because there is no cradle (but I don't mind waiting til March if that is an option) but because there seems to be some confusion over what lightning can do.

Am I right in thinking that if there were an iPhone 5 cradle, right now, that it would have ALL of the funcitonality of the iPhone 4S cradle? Or is this intrinsic lack of "ipod out" a feature of lightning? Or is it just he adapter?

I am perfectly happy to just get a 64GB 4S and a current cradle and be done with it but I'd like to get a 5 if that's an option.

So what can I actually do? What are my options? Oh, and also, the idea of having my phone in a cooled cradle appeals to me beause I know how hot phones get!

Thanks guys
Do you have BMW Apps? If not, the functionality of 4S/5, even in connected to the cradle, is going to be identical.
Appreciate 0