F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Real world MPG?
GetBMWParts

02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #353
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
I have never gotten it over 22 avg mpg, right now I am getting about 17-18 mpg and this is 50% city / 50% hwy
Driver mod!

Drive it the fun way and that's pretty normal (well if it's 50% hwy, still a bit low). But my first tank or two I got in the low 20's, but that was because I was having a bit too much fun with the new car.

I usually make a fairly conscious effort to baby it because it makes such a difference in gas mileage and am usually around 25mpg with mostly city driving. I have some weird deal with seeing how good mpg I can get...

But when I stomp on it for fun, it's amazing how much it drinks. One 2 mins spirited run will drop the mpg a good 2 mpg for the whole tank.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #354
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Driver mod!

Drive it the fun way and that's pretty normal (well if it's 50% hwy, still a bit low). But my first tank or two I got in the low 20's, but that was because I was having a bit too much fun with the new car.

I usually make a fairly conscious effort to baby it because it makes such a difference in gas mileage and am usually around 25mpg with mostly city driving. I have some weird deal with seeing how good mpg I can get...

But when I stomp on it for fun, it's amazing how much it drinks. One 2 mins spirited run will drop the mpg a good 2 mpg for the whole tank.
my problem is i have a spirited run every time i drive it but that's why I bought it if I wanted a slower ride I would have gotten a 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #355
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
my problem is i have a spirited run every time i drive it but that's why I bought it if I wanted a slower ride I would have gotten a 328i
Not touching that one!

The fun you have while driving is inversely proportional to the mpg in this car. The bigger my smile the lower the mpg. But most of my driving is to and from work and thinking I just want to go take a nap during those drives (and better mpg).

When I'm joy riding, I only look at the mpg for amusement. Guess you pay to play in all things!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #356
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
I'm skeptical of the claims of only 1 or 2 mpg difference between the 328 and 335. With hundreds of pounds of weight difference, 20% more horsepower, and (I thought) an older vintage, that sounds too small.

Otherwise, maybe I should have bought the bigger engine, given the minor price difference on loaded cars. The 328s have been rated as surprisingly reliable by Consumer Reports, I'm not sure if it is well-established nor if it can be extrapolated to the 335s.

Aside from the cars themselves, add to that the tendency I'd expect for 335 drivers to be more averse to the ASS, and being the ones who want (and I expect use) the greater acceleration, in practice, I'd expect 335s I see on the road to be getting about 5mpg less.
Base weight as listed by BMW shows the 335i to be only 145lbs more than the 328i. Also, that 145lbs includes all the weight from the extra standard items in the 335i like sunroof, larger brakes, etc...
When optioned and equipped equally the weight difference is only about 100lbs, nothing like "hundreds" of pounds. More like 1 hundred pounds.

Yes, the 335i has a more powerful engine, but, if one is not using or calling on that power, then they are not burning that fuel either.
Given that the AT in either model has the same gearing, the biggest difference will come down to how aggressive one is with acceleration.
If a 328i AT accels hard from every red light in the city while a 335i AT is accelerating slowly, the 335i will get better MPG.

If both vehicles have equivalent sized drivers, and both drivers drive in the same day to day manner, meaning not aggressive all the time, then both cars will get MPG very close to each other.
If it takes 150hp/150lb ft of torque to accel from a light at the same rate, then either engine will need to burn the fuel required to produce that power.
That means they are burning about the same amount of fuel.
The N20 isn't going to burn a lot less fuel than the N55 to produce the same 150lb ft of torque. There is no free lunch here.
To produce a given amount of power either of these engines will burn about the same fuel, as they are both pretty efficient.
The bigger difference will come when the N55 driver wants to accel faster and stronger than the N20 driver. To do that the N55 engine will then burn more fuel as it can produce more power.

All these 30+MPG average in the city claims are simply BS.
If they are real, then you've got a mile long line of honking cars behind you and an even longer line of people passing you trying get where they are going with reasonable acceleration.
30mpg avg in the city your car would look like a turtle accelerating where only you and maybe 3 other cars will get through the green light before it turns red.

The ONLY true and accurate method to get average MPG is to do a manual calculation, and a running average over tankfuls.
Fill your tank until the pump stops on it's own, do NOT add more.
Reset miles driven. Drive normally as you do.
When you get down to about 1/4 tank or less, fill up and STOP filling when the pump stops.
Now, take the miles driven and divide by how many gallons you just put in.
That's your real avg MPG.
Repeat to get a more accurate MPG reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #357
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Not sure many on this board cares about mpg to the point they would drive a 320d with what-under 190 hp?

I would ride a bike if I cared that much about mpg lol

Slowsville is punishment in a bmw to me
I was under the impression that bmw driver didn't care that much about mpg when I first started that topic but due the popularity of it I'm thinking different. I mostly started it in order to get some input.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #358
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

bump
      03-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #359
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Base weight as listed by BMW shows the 335i to be only 145lbs more than the 328i. Also, that 145lbs includes all the weight from the extra standard items in the 335i like sunroof, larger brakes, etc...
When optioned and equipped equally the weight difference is only about 100lbs, nothing like "hundreds" of pounds. More like 1 hundred pounds.

Yes, the 335i has a more powerful engine, but, if one is not using or calling on that power, then they are not burning that fuel either.
Given that the AT in either model has the same gearing, the biggest difference will come down to how aggressive one is with acceleration.
If a 328i AT accels hard from every red light in the city while a 335i AT is accelerating slowly, the 335i will get better MPG.

If both vehicles have equivalent sized drivers, and both drivers drive in the same day to day manner, meaning not aggressive all the time, then both cars will get MPG very close to each other.
If it takes 150hp/150lb ft of torque to accel from a light at the same rate, then either engine will need to burn the fuel required to produce that power.
That means they are burning about the same amount of fuel.
The N20 isn't going to burn a lot less fuel than the N55 to produce the same 150lb ft of torque. There is no free lunch here.
To produce a given amount of power either of these engines will burn about the same fuel, as they are both pretty efficient.
The bigger difference will come when the N55 driver wants to accel faster and stronger than the N20 driver. To do that the N55 engine will then burn more fuel as it can produce more power.
Basically you said alot of stuff, but you're right. There is a reason why the EPA estimates posted by BMW between the two cars are only about 1mpg apart.

Both are efficient engines pushing about the same weight around so it makes sense. 100lbs on a 3500lbs ish car is almost negligible in most normal driving situations as far as mpg is concerned.

Now if you were about pushing them to their limits and everything else is equal, weight will make a difference (when 1/10ths of a second count a lot)

I'll happily drive my 335i all day long as it gets great mileage and when I push the skinny pedal it goes.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #360
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Basically you said alot of stuff, but you're right. There is a reason why the EPA estimates posted by BMW between the two cars are only about 1mpg apart.
Grrr. Then why didn't I get a 335!? My only remaining excuse is that the 328 was judged very reliable by Consumer Reports, who had rated previous 335's not nearly as reliable as 328s, although there is no reliability rating yet for 2013 335s. I thought the mileage was more worse.

I should have read the forums here more meticulously and picked up the extra 60 hp and prestigious split tailpipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #361
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
All these 30+MPG average in the city claims are simply BS.
welcome to the internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #362
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

In my view if 328 and 335 produced the same exact output, their fuels consumption should be fairly equal. As one of the posters said, there is no free lunch. 328 has a 4 cyl 2 litre engine with about 18 psi of turbo boost. 335 has a 6 cyl 3 litre engine with around 8-10 psi turbo boost. More boost = more power = more fuel burn
      03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #363
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Grrr. Then why didn't I get a 335!? My only remaining excuse is that the 328 was judged very reliable by Consumer Reports, who had rated previous 335's not nearly as reliable as 328s, although there is no reliability rating yet for 2013 335s. I thought the mileage was more worse.

I should have read the forums here more meticulously and picked up the extra 60 hp and prestigious split tailpipe.
CR also picked the 328i has its best sports sedan. Dont let a couple people on here sway you with internet BS, the reviews and sales show you made the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #364
bimmermeupscoty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Mineral Gray

I just got 32.28 mpg on my last tank of gas. The car says I got 33.7. Which is really closer to real world than I thought the gauge would be.

2013 328i sport line. 446 miles, most of which were interstate. 1260 on odometer.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #365
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
CR also picked the 328i has its best sports sedan. Dont let a couple people on here sway you with internet BS, the reviews and sales show you made the right choice.
Thanks, I'm partly being facetious, as the 328ix is great, and if a 335 clacked less and rumbled and zoomed more, I'd never get it away from my wife. Although maybe I need a second car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #366
4wheelspin
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

I just did a round trip in my 335xi from just south of San Francisco to Tahoe for a day of skiing and then back to the same starting point. Some details:
Total miles: 418.6
Average speed: 67.5 mph (this includes the stop and go traffic, city driving, coffee stop, subsequent pee stop, fuel stop. Most of the highway driving was ~75-80)
Driving mode: almost all Eco pro except for a few moments of full acceleration in sport
Traffic: about 2 miles of heavy stop and go, the rest no real traffic. All except about 15 miles was highway.
Elevation: started and ended at just about sea level. Dinner pass is about 7000 feet and the ski resort parking is about 6500.
Total mileage on the car/engine: 1790 at end of trip.

Mileage: 34.5 mpg over the entire round trip.

I'm very impressed. Just for comparison, my last tank with mostly city driving was about 21 mpg.

(Note all numbers from idrive rather than from the fuel pump so might be a little optimistic, depending on how curate the car is)

Last edited by 4wheelspin; 03-11-2013 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #367
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermeupscoty View Post
I just got 32.28 mpg on my last tank of gas. The car says I got 33.7. Which is really closer to real world than I thought the gauge would be.

2013 328i sport line. 446 miles, most of which were interstate. 1260 on odometer.
Sounds about right, my 90% hwy trip on a hilly interstate showed 33 in my car and fuelly calculated a bit under 32mpg, but I also had the cruise set to 78mph and I may or may not have floored it to pass some annoying folks a couple times and approached triple digits...

On the return trip, with about 40 miles of back country roads and the rest interstate, where I may or may not have followed a pack of cars above 90mph and topped 100mph a couple times in a 20 min span, my mpg hurt a bit and I "only" got a tick over 30 mpg. (yes it holds true, the harder you push the pedal the more gas it drinks). I should also note, I did a 'test' intending to determine if 89 octane got less than 93 and yes I got lower mpg with the 89 but I also drove quite a bit harder, so I failed my own test.

A 328 is a great buy for various reasons, but choosing it over a 335 primarily for mpg probably isn't a well informed choice.

Last edited by tdizzle; 03-11-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #368
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheelspin View Post

(Note all numbers from idrive rather than from the fuel pump so might be a little optimistic, depending on how curate the car is)
idrive seems to be about 1.5mpg on the optimistic side, but still great mpg regardless given the power on tap.

One day I'll try using ecopro more than a couple miles to see if it makes a difference. I use comfort 99% of the time and sport+ when I have the opportunity/desire.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #369
Anonymous Henchman #5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport MT EBII

Quote:
I'm skeptical of the claims of only 1 or 2 mpg difference between the 328 and 335. With hundreds of pounds of weight difference, 20% more horsepower, and (I thought) an older vintage, that sounds too small.

Otherwise, maybe I should have bought the bigger engine, given the minor price difference on loaded cars. The 328s have been rated as surprisingly reliable by Consumer Reports, I'm not sure if it is well-established nor if it can be extrapolated to the 335s.

Aside from the cars themselves, add to that the tendency I'd expect for 335 drivers to be more averse to the ASS, and being the ones who want (and I expect use) the greater acceleration, in practice, I'd expect 335s I see on the road to be getting about 5mpg less.
I have a 335i and I love the ASS. But I have a manual transmission. The stick seems to pair great with the ASS. . . . all joking aside it really does go well together. I've adapted my driving style to where if I anticipate I'll be stopped for less than a few seconds (say at a stoplight I know will be turning green soon or at a stop sign), then I'll leave the clutch depressed. Any longer than a few seconds and I'll let the ASS do it's thing (worked great at the Taco Bell drivethru today. . . . I'm trying to resist the temptation now to make a joke about Taco Bell and ASS). I haven't driven the auto paired with the ASS but I can imagine there is less control so it could get annoying. BTW, I'm averaging 25-26 mpg (verified by manual calculation).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #370
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Henchman #5 View Post
I have a 335i and I love the ASS. But I have a manual transmission. The stick seems to pair great with the ASS. . . . all joking aside it really does go well together. I've adapted my driving style to where if I anticipate I'll be stopped for less than a few seconds (say at a stoplight I know will be turning green soon or at a stop sign), then I'll leave the clutch depressed. Any longer than a few seconds and I'll let the ASS do it's thing (worked great at the Taco Bell drivethru today. . . . I'm trying to resist the temptation now to make a joke about Taco Bell and ASS). I haven't driven the auto paired with the ASS but I can imagine there is less control so it could get annoying. BTW, I'm averaging 25-26 mpg (verified by manual calculation).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #371
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Henchman #5
MT and ASS works great. I'm just like you, and sometimes I try and anticipate how long I'll be at a light and control ASS with the clutch pedal. 24.5 MPG so far.
      03-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #372
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
In my view if 328 and 335 produced the same exact output, their fuels consumption should be fairly equal. As one of the posters said, there is no free lunch. 328 has a 4 cyl 2 litre engine with about 18 psi of turbo boost. 335 has a 6 cyl 3 litre engine with around 8-10 psi turbo boost. More boost = more power = more fuel burn
That's not quite how it works.

Boost is not the only thing that indicates consumption.

A lot of it is the demand of the fuel injectors.

On my E36/7 I have gone from 19lb injectors to 42lb injectors. I can match my non boosted MPG, but if I am maxing out the injectors, well there goes that one.

When not on boost, the N55 is feeding much larger displacement which offsets its lower boost compared to the N20.

Like I said previously, I have a loop on the way to work where I test economy. Its fairly consistent, and I get 39.9mpg in the N20 6mt and 35.5mpg in an 8spd N55.

Granted, it would be interesting to see both engines consumption at WOT, as they might not be that far apart. But most of the time these cars are driven at part throttle or coasting which means the N55 is always 3.0L and regardless of boost, the N20 is 2.0L.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #373
LI2002tii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Trust me its accurate, I do feather the pedal quite a lot though. And I usually use Eco Pro, also I've got nearly 14,000 miles! My entire commute is also in the city so I rarely use the highway. I never reset the computer either, but its usually reset at the dealer.
Attached Images

(Current)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #374
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
That's not quite how it works.

Boost is not the only thing that indicates consumption.

A lot of it is the demand of the fuel injectors.

On my E36/7 I have gone from 19lb injectors to 42lb injectors. I can match my non boosted MPG, but if I am maxing out the injectors, well there goes that one.

When not on boost, the N55 is feeding much larger displacement which offsets its lower boost compared to the N20.

Like I said previously, I have a loop on the way to work where I test economy. Its fairly consistent, and I get 39.9mpg in the N20 6mt and 35.5mpg in an 8spd N55.

Granted, it would be interesting to see both engines consumption at WOT, as they might not be that far apart. But most of the time these cars are driven at part throttle or coasting which means the N55 is always 3.0L and regardless of boost, the N20 is 2.0L.
true but lets say the 328 was tuned to produce 300 hp and 300 ft lb torque (same output as 335), and say both had the same tranny, I'd think they would both get 35.5 mpg in your loop