F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Annoying sounds from inside 428i cabin [VIDEO]
ARMA SPEED

02-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #23
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassy View Post
I am still experiencing these intermittent "rattling," humming, vibrating issues on my 435i AT. It seems to be a prominent issue with both the 3 and 4 Series.

I've taken it into BMW twice and they have not been able to fix the issue. 1st time they tightened the underbody heat shields (which didn't do it), second time they did nothing. I have also experienced a croaking steering wheel and now a squeaky brake pedal and USB/AUX output issue.

I've been following this intermittent rattling issue on the posts and here's what I've collected so far.........

Videos

Posts Related to "Rattling" Issue For 3 & 4 Series:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942243
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906705
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858863
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746719
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922574

Possible Causes:
"Dealer traced it to inside the bottom dashboard. They removed the instrument panel and found the footwell vent to be loose and hitting the kick panel. Sound gone!"

"So bottom line for me, is that I'm convinced at this point that there is an air damper somewhere that opens and closes the top vent, and that damper is loose or defective, which is why it rattles. The rattles stop (or start) if the damper gets activated, probably a moving part that goes out of alignment or back into alignment as we play with the damper. The damper must be located somewhere near the steering column because that is where the noise appears to be coming from. If there is absolutely no damper or any active part to do with HVAC in this area then I'm wrong. I wasn't able to make out the Real OEM drawing on this."

"replace AC Compressor"

"They say the noise goes away when they pull the serpentine belt, so the only thing left on there would be the alternator. The compressor and pulleys were replaced and the steering is electric"

"gearbox replacement"

"reseated some pieces in the area around the radiator support and front shroud. They found two metal pieces vibrating together and when the engine was under it magnified the sounds 10 x"

"reseated "all" of the covers in the engine bay, checked the exhaust and heat shields, and reseated the radiator"

"defective heater core assembly"

"Turned out it was a loose windshield wiper hose in the cavity behind the right fender well."

"all the pieces around the strut brace and right under the windshield that were doing it. Reseated and felt taped the rubbing parts one day as suggested in the thread. Has never come back
wow, it's a pity to read all the work some drivers have to go through to find an issue that should not exist when leaving the factory in Germany
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #24
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

I noticed that there is NO rubber trimming around the rear glass of the F30. I'm not sure if the windshield has a rubber trim. I know the E90 has both front and rear glass rubber trimming.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #25
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got home and the whining noise is getting louder. Now I have no doubt that passengers would also be able to hear it if the music was off.

The wind noise from drivers door has definitely increased after tint yesterday. Will give them a call tomorrow to see what exactly they did, as whatever it is, it's made a difference.

This is getting quite annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #26
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
Just got home and the whining noise is getting louder. Now I have no doubt that passengers would also be able to hear it if the music was off.

The wind noise from drivers door has definitely increased after tint yesterday. Will give them a call tomorrow to see what exactly they did, as whatever it is, it's made a difference.

This is getting quite annoying.
Where did you get your tint job done?

Also, tried a tone generator, wasn't able to reproduce the buzzing or rattling while stationary.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #27
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
Where did you get your tint job done?

Also, tried a tone generator, wasn't able to reproduce the buzzing or rattling while stationary.
Signature tints in costa mesa. The actual tints look great, but they made a messup of the drivers window, would make a flicking sound every time I opened it which was right in my ear. Took it back yesterday and they re-did the window again and now the wind noise is louder. I have no idea what they did but it did something.

As for the buzzing sound, took a quick video just as I got home about to park. It's definitely louder today than it was yesterday.

It get's louder around the 14 second mark..

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #28
Glassy
E36, E46, E90, E92, F32
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
Signature tints in costa mesa. The actual tints look great, but they made a messup of the drivers window, would make a flicking sound every time I opened it which was right in my ear. Took it back yesterday and they re-did the window again and now the wind noise is louder. I have no idea what they did but it did something.

As for the buzzing sound, took a quick video just as I got home about to park. It's definitely louder today than it was yesterday.

It get's louder around the 14 second mark..

I had this issue too when tinting my window. It's because everytime you open and close the doors, the window goes down and up, respectively...not giving the tint enough time to dry and settle. I don't know if this is related to the intermittent rattling/buzzing sound we're all hearing though.
      02-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #29
Bluelondon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassy View Post
I had this issue too when tinting my window. It's because everytime you open and close the doors, the window goes down and up, respectively...not giving the tint enough time to dry and settle. I don't know if this is related to the intermittent rattling/buzzing sound we're all hearing though.
I just called the tinting company. They also recommended I let it continue to dry out for the first 4 days (1 day left). Told them that wind noise was clearly louder after getting the tints done and whether they had removed any part of the door panel, glass, or moved any components and they said they don't interfere with the car parts at all, or remove anything and that this is the first time they are hearing this.

If nothing improves I'll take it to BMW sometime next week and see what they can do about both the wind noise and buzzing. When the tint company claims nothing they did affected the window position or wind noise level, I can't exactly force them to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #30
hoon
Registered
Rep
Drives: MY14 F31 M sports package

I think i have similar issue here.. mine is 14MY F31 and there's this weird high frequency buzzing or cricket sound whenever I turn on the fan. the sound gets louder as i go pass 1200rpm and goes away when I press the AC button...
Could it be caused by the serpentine belt and the tensioner??....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #31
Caught Looking
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

The issue in the first and third videos appear to be related to the rattling in this thread. The fix for that is SIB 64 01 14

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949816
Appreciate 0