F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HUD (Head-Up Display): should I get it?
proTUNING Freaks

11-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Thanks guys, mind made up I think Goingt to phone the dealer first thing in the morning to see if I can still make changes to the spec. If so, I'll remove Internet, mobile application preparation, and windscreen with grey shade band; and will add on head-up display
      11-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I passed on HUD, £800 for the same information in a slightly more convenient format didn't stack up for me.....I'm driving not dog fighting.
That's funny cuz I feel like I'm dog fighting, not driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #25
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Thanks guys, mind made up I think Goingt to phone the dealer first thing in the morning to see if I can still make changes to the spec. If so, I'll remove Internet, mobile application preparation, and windscreen with grey shade band; and will add on head-up display
Sounds like a good decision. and if it's too late, it's not the end of the world either. Remember, it's a great car either way!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #26
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
With the mobile application preparation you get the additional USB socket in the arm rest compartment, I don't know if this is there otherwise so it could be worth adding this one or confirming the USB situation.

With regards to the other options, the surround view cameras and rear view cameras are great for getting into tight spaces and manoeuvring around tight car parks. My work car park crams in more spaces than you would think possible so I can vouch for the surround view.

The M brakes look great but I can't say in normal driving conditions I have felt any difference. They may well be better but I don't drive like Jeremy Clarkson on the Top Gear track so maybe they are under utilised

The HUD is great though and as much as I love my surround view I'm not sure I'd favour it over the HUD.

This option list is an ordeal that's for sure
      11-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #27
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
With the mobile application preparation you get the additional USB socket in the arm rest compartment, I don't know if this is there otherwise so it could be worth adding this one or confirming the USB situation.

With regards to the other options, the surround view cameras and rear view cameras are great for getting into tight spaces and manoeuvring around tight car parks. My work car park crams in more spaces than you would think possible so I can vouch for the surround view.

The M brakes look great but I can't say in normal driving conditions I have felt any difference. They may well be better but I don't drive like Jeremy Clarkson on the Top Gear track so maybe they are under utilised

The HUD is great though and as much as I love my surround view I'm not sure I'd favour it over the HUD.

This option list is an ordeal that's for sure
You still get the USB socket in the armrest, it comes with the USB audio interface option. The surround view cameras would be useful; but I will still have parking sensors (front/back), and the cameras I think don't work as well in the dark, so I think I'll pass on the cameras (though parking isn't my strongest point I will admit, but I usually park out of the way anyway, and almost never on the street). I will use the HUD all the time (even if just for speed/calls/music selection), as opposed to the cameras which will only be used for a few minutes at the beginning and/or end of probably only a couple of journeys a week, and it's a bit of a sci-Fi feature, so I think I'll let that be my ’luxury' feature over the brakes and cameras. I'll pay for it over the phone before delivery so the girlfriend doesn't find out it was extra, as I've already overspent on HK already

Phoning very shortly when dealer opens, fingers crossed...
      11-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #28
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
You still get the USB socket in the armrest, it comes with the USB audio interface option. The surround view cameras would be useful; but I will still have parking sensors (front/back), and the cameras I think don't work as well in the dark, so I think I'll pass on the cameras (though parking isn't my strongest point I will admit, but I usually park out of the way anyway, and almost never on the street). I will use the HUD all the time (even if just for speed/calls/music selection), as opposed to the cameras which will only be used for a few minutes at the beginning and/or end of probably only a couple of journeys a week, and it's a bit of a sci-Fi feature, so I think I'll let that be my ’luxury' feature over the brakes and cameras. I'll pay for it over the phone before delivery so the girlfriend doesn't find out it was extra, as I've already overspent on HK already

Phoning very shortly when dealer opens, fingers crossed...
That's right, the MAP just adds it as a no cost option. Sorry, it's been a while since I was on top of the option list and it's various nuances

The HUD is great and it is one thing that you do use every time you drive the car. To have the speed displayed has saved me on more than one occasion, average speed cameras are the enemy
      11-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #29
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the help everyone, I've just phoned the dealer and my car is in status 1200 (same as 112); scheduled for production, so I could add the HUD and remove the other bits Really glad I still had the time, can't wait to get the car even more now!
      11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #30
LollerAgent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line

I just found one thing that sucks about the HUD. It's nearly impossible to see if you are wearing polarized sunglasses. GRR. I wear sunglasses 70% of the time.
      11-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Tilt your head, or do what I did and get some non-polarized sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #32
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepax View Post
I have had my car for about 1 month and LOVE the HUD! Agree with comments that it is missed when driving another car.

I would add that I also can see in the HUD:
1. The posted speed limit (amazed at how accurate this is)
2. A large red tailgate symbol as part of collision avoidance.
I know this is an older post - but I'm about to trade in my 08 335 for a 13 328i - I was wondering what option package did you get that included the posted speed limits? This is something extremely useful that I typically buy a Garmin to have... Doing a lot of back road driving and driving through states that have one speed limit sign when you enter, and they "assume" you know what the speed limit is 3 hours later after never seeing a sign... sucks..

Thanks in advance... hope your still around.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #33
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Get it, it's very convenient not having to take your eyes off the windshield to get important information, particularly when you're using the navigation.

For me the HUD was a no brainer. In HS and through college I had a Pontiac Grand Prix that had HUD (yes, HUD was around in a GM car in 1999) and I missed the hell out of that feature when I got an Infiniti so when I learned HUD was available on BMW's I jumped on it.

EDIT: Just realized I responded to an old ass thread...embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #34
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
I know this is an older post - but I'm about to trade in my 08 335 for a 13 328i - I was wondering what option package did you get that included the posted speed limits? This is something extremely useful that I typically buy a Garmin to have... Doing a lot of back road driving and driving through states that have one speed limit sign when you enter, and they "assume" you know what the speed limit is 3 hours later after never seeing a sign... sucks..

Thanks in advance... hope your still around.
To get the posted speed limits shown, you have to opt for the driver assistance plus package which includes the side view cameras, blind spot monitoring and speed limit info. It is NOT available as a stand alone option.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #35
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I guess I'm In the minority here. I have the HUD and I rarely use it. Cool feature without a doubt. But def not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #36
///REWO
Rep
Drives: 05' 116i high executive

If you don't have the HUD, navigation info and all the stuff listed in the first post is displayed on the instrumentcluster right?

So what is displayed on the instrument cluster while you DO have the HUD in use?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #37
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///REWO View Post
If you don't have the HUD, navigation info and all the stuff listed in the first post is displayed on the instrumentcluster right?

So what is displayed on the instrument cluster while you DO have the HUD in use?

Thanks
Nothing, just the temperature outside, average mpg, distance to empty, or whatever else you decide to have it display.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #38
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Mine came with the Nav, and now that I have it I don't think I can drive a car without it. It also looks very cool at night and I agree with a previous poster, the route direction is much clearer and easier to follow than on the Nav IMO...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #39
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

I ordered the HUD with the speed limit indicator. Would not buy a car without it and miss it while driving my wife's SUV. When in the USA it is useful in switching to mph from kph. The dash only reads kph.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #40
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Had my car for close to a year now and definitely have made a HUD a requirement for future cars! It's one of those things you don't realize you were missing until you got it!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #41
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30er View Post
Had my car for close to a year now and definitely have made a HUD a requirement for future cars! It's one of those things you don't realize you were missing until you got it!!!
So do I. Can't live without it
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #42
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S

I love it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #43
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30er View Post
So do I. Can't live without it
How did you get yours to display color? I just bought a 2013 f30 328i loaded and mine is all white.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #44
bringonthenite
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i XDrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
How did you get yours to display color? I just bought a 2013 f30 328i loaded and mine is all white.
Try using the Nav to get the color.

Wish I was turning on to hwy 1... Would love to have B out there.
Appreciate 0