F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A/C spays out some white dust/particles
ARMA SPEED

06-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #23
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

That's how my car looked before I had it detailed last time. If I get that kind of accumulation again I'm going back.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
I searched and couldn't find anything but to be honest I don't know where to begin. I have never heard of a cooling material in the vent of any luxury car but hey it's been a while since I educated myself of car HVAC tech.
I too found it very interesting when I read about it.
Cool idea, no pun intended.

If I run across the info again I'll post links.
But, I know I posted about this some time ago, so a search should show the thread and post.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen0s View Post
I got a call from service advisor and he pretty much told me same thing as others have mentioned. Changed microfilter and cleaned the vent out I'm hoping that would fix the issue (?)

Hey Roki, how bad is your situation? When I turn my AC on max I can't notice anything flying out until next day when all the air settles down.

[/URL]
Odd. It kinda looks like cigarette ashes.
I smoke in my car but only with the windows open.
Still sometimes some of the ashes fly back in and it looks a bit like that.
But it's not all over the place like yours.

You don't smoke and in your car by chance?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 11:21 PM   #26
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

That will not fix the issue , they have to replace evaporator, tomorrow i am getting my car and we ll have to c
Quote:
I got a call from service advisor and he pretty much told me same thing as others have mentioned. Changed microfilter and cleaned the vent out I'm hoping that would fix the issue (?)

Hey Roki, how bad is your situation? When I turn my AC on max I can't notice anything flying out until next day when all the air settles down.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #27
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

It's funny you mention that because they are hard to clean because they have the consistency of ash as well. Instead of wiping off they tend to come apart, smear, and leave a white streak behind.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #28
zen0s
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

No, I'm not a smoker nor had any passengers who smoked :3

I just don't understand how "Brand New" vehicle can have A/C Evaporator issue? Doesn't it take time for evaporator's surface to get oxidized or corroded?

Roki, keep us posted on your repair. If you could, ask the service tech to take a picture of the faulty evaporator. I would like to see what kind of condition it is in. Thx!

Last edited by zen0s; 06-05-2014 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #29
zen0s
Private
United_States
Rep

Just picked up the car.... still white dust flying around! Incompetent service techs told me they turn the ac on max for 45 mins and saw nothing. I turn the ac max for 2 mins back seat already covered in white. What a bunch of morons working at this dealer. So fed up with this car and service
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:40 PM   #30
Roki_014
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just picked up the car.... still white dust flying around! Incompetent service techs told me they turn the ac on max for 45 mins and saw nothing. I turn the ac max for 2 mins back seat already covered in white. What a bunch of morons working at this dealer. So fed up with this car and service
u need the evaporator replaced, got mine back this morning, and its fine, but when they put steering column back they forgot to attach some enclosure so, it was letting engine noise in, so had to drive back , they closed it but said if it gets louder in future to come back and replace it, i am so tired of going to service, everyone knows my by my first name, bmw should pay me for all the new issues that my car experiences as if it their dummy car, every time something is wrong they have to open a puma case, crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #31
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well I did not get my evaporator replaced and I still find a few flakes here and there (mostly in the back seats) but it seems to be decreasing over time.

I've had the car just shy of 8 weeks now and had it in once for the "we cleaned the vents routine" and am wondering how long I give it until I go back again?

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #32
zen0s
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
u need the evaporator replaced, got mine back this morning, and its fine, but when they put steering column back they forgot to attach some enclosure so, it was letting engine noise in, so had to drive back , they closed it but said if it gets louder in future to come back and replace it, i am so tired of going to service, everyone knows my by my first name, bmw should pay me for all the new issues that my car experiences as if it their dummy car, every time something is wrong they have to open a puma case, crazy
Good to hear your evaporator issue has been fixed but at the cost of new issue.... I don't even want this car, I would rather return it but too late for that. New purchased vehicle should come with grace period!!! I'm going in Monday again hopefully they will replace evaportor instead of wasting my time...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #33
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Wow, that's a big job to r&r the evaporator.

On your service ticket did they replace the evap itself or the evap and box? I wonder if they took it apart to see what was causing the flakes. The evap should be copper and aluminum so I doubt rusting/corrosion is the root of the issue. I'm guessing some paper/fiber type product inside box and it gets moist/wet when A/C is on and is disintegrating. Just a guess.
      06-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #34
zen0s
Private
United_States
Rep

Strange... as time goes by these white flakes are disappearing now

I still do get here and there but really small and very few now, I guess I can't complain. I hope it doesn't come back...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #35
Roki_014
Major
Rep

Quote:
Strange... as time goes by these white flakes are disappearing now

I still do get here and there but really small and very few now, I guess I can't complain. I hope it doesn't come back...
So the white flakes have been fixed but now every time i turn off ac it makes weird noise as if something is loose, i am so tired of going back and forth to service department
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #36
zen0s
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So the white flakes have been fixed but now every time i turn off ac it makes weird noise as if something is loose, i am so tired of going back and forth to service department
How is everything Roki? No white flakes I hope? Yeah man, I'm tired of them too. Especially when they are acting like bunch of smartasses.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #37
f30GTR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 AW F30 335i M-Sport MT

Quote:
How is everything Roki? No white flakes I hope? Yeah man, I'm tired of them too. Especially when they are acting like bunch of smartasses.
Which dealer did you go to if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #38
zen0s
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanesn View Post
Which dealer did you go to if you don't mind me asking?
I actually went to two different dealers. Passport BMW, where I purchased the vehicle from and Towson BMW, which is the local one. I can clearly tell they don't want to deal with me for whatever the reason. My first experience with BMW is ultimate bottom low and they won't get my business ever again.
Appreciate 0