F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Over-charged air conditioning?
Studio RSR

09-26-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Over-charged air conditioning?

Has anybody heard of this issue?

My 2018 440i was in the shop overnight, less than three months after delivery, because the air conditioning suddenly stopped working. The blower works and the lights all come on, but it blows warm air.

Until then, it performed like a champ. It's been over 100° F almost every day here in Northern California since the day I got the car, and I even drove to Palm Springs a few weeks ago. Ironically, when it stopped working late last week, it was one of the coolest days since I got the car, with a high around 80°.

The dealer says the AC was overcharged, either at the factory or the port. (There has been no service whatsoever to the car since I picked it up.) They've replaced the refrigerant and are keeping the car until close of business to make sure it works. They're also checking with BMW to see if there are any known issues or TSBs.

Anybody have a similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
swreefkeeper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
I have not had this exact issue, but while I was at the dealer a month ago I heard a SA talking to another customer about a known TSB for the AC. Im giving a basic summery of what I heard so I may be missing some details but it seemed like a sensor was thinking it was running cooler than it was and thus thought the system froze up and stops blowing cold. I might be a little off as it was not me having the problem.

Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Over charging is possible, and it can damage the compressor. Why they'd replace the refrigerant I can't say, as all they'd have to do is bleed off the excess, just like releasing air from a tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Over charging is possible, and it can damage the compressor. Why they'd replace the refrigerant I can't say, as all they'd have to do is bleed off the excess, just like releasing air from a tire.
I'm actually not sure if they replaced the coolant or just released some. I've been engaged in a jury trial so my wife took the car and relayed the information.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
vsasesse
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive 6speed

Quote:
Please don't "bleed" refrigerant like air out of a tire. We don't need HFC's in the atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by swreefkeeper View Post
I have not had this exact issue, but while I was at the dealer a month ago I heard a SA talking to another customer about a known TSB for the AC. Im giving a basic summery of what I heard so I may be missing some details but it seemed like a sensor was thinking it was running cooler than it was and thus thought the system froze up and stops blowing cold. I might be a little off as it was not me having the problem.

Goodluck!
I had this same problem. I think it?s different than the OP?s, but mine was just a quick reprogram.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsasesse View Post
Quote:
Please don't "bleed" refrigerant like air out of a tire. We don't need HFC's in the atmosphere.
Cars do not use HFC?s anymore...

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I doubt that a dealership in California, which has extremely strict environmental laws, would deliberately release greenhouse gasses.

Unfortunately, this turned out not to be a warranty claim. It seems a small piece of flying road debris made its way through the grill and impacted the air conditioning radiator, cracking it. That, in turn, caused the coolant to escape (so I guess it did "bleed" into the atmosphere), which, in turn, caused the AC pump to burn up.

Fortunately, my insurance will pick up the bill, minus the deductible.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
They don't 'bleed' refrigerant, they evacuate it into a sealed container, pull vacuum on the A.C. system, and then charge the system with the correct number of ounces of refrigerant.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #10
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Cars still use HFCs. HFCs replaced CFCs. There are talks about replacing the current HFC (I think HFC-134a) with some other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
Quote:
Cars still use HFCs. HFCs replaced CFCs. There are talks about replacing the current HFC (I think HFC-134a) with some other stuff.
My bad

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:50 AM   #12
HaloEyes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msport

Quote:
Quote:

Goodluck!
I had this same problem. I think it?s different than the OP?s, but mine was just a quick reprogram.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Goodluck!
I'm having the same issue as op, did BMW tell you as to what happened and why it was just a reprogram?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 06:52 AM   #13
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloEyes View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Goodluck!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Goodluck!
I'm having the same issue as op, did BMW tell you as to what happened and why it was just a reprogram?
They said it was a known error in 2015?s. I guess there was service bulletin for it.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #14
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloEyes View Post

OP found it was physical damage. Look a couple of posts above.
Appreciate 0