F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M-Sport clobbering Sportline?
Studio RSR

11-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #67
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Garage List
The perfect car would have been an M Sport in Imperial Blue with Oyster interior. That combo isn't available in either line so we settled on IB with Everest Gray. She arrives in Baltimore port tomorrow. Then the wait to get prepped and to our dealer in D.C.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #68
The Economist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i "M-Sport" MPPK MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post
We both loved the M Sport steering wheel though. Wish it were an option on the Sport Line. There is one listed in the M Sport Accesories catalog but would be nearly 2k installed so we decided it wasn't worth that to us.
You can. I had an order for a 328i "Sport" line with a special order for the M-Sport wheel... cost $400. Very easy... I forgot the code; I think it was 710. In any case, you can do it. I just thought the whole package was worth it, but only available on 335i up here - so I got that instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #69
ironysatire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Deep Sea Blue E90 sedan

DerekS, I agree, and thanks. I was using "sports" generically, as meaning "sportier than the standard suspension." I should have been clearer.

Which is more comfortable (a subjective term in any case) on an XDrive, the standard XDrive suspension, or the adaptive suspension on "COMFORT" setting?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #70
TheDuke83
Gator
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redztone
Saw a luxury 328i today in mineral grey. And of course... It was a dealership loaner!

Eventually I won't be able to go 20 feet without seeing a 3 in Atlanta, as was the case with e46 and e90.
I see an F30 in Buckhead every time I leave my house. So sick of seeing the halogens.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #71
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Here there were only 2 335is on the lot... A blue luxury line and a mineral gray no line.
I couldn't stand all that chrome, so I went with the standard.
Literally barely any 335is here... I love my LED drls.. Hardly ever see them on the road here in an F30...obviously you see them on newer 5 series though.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #72
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

when you buy a M sport from the dealer do they add the market adjusted value on top of the MSRP price? I bought a new camaro when the new body style came out and they had $5000 over MSRP just because people would pay it to get one.
      11-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #73
gt1206
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328 M-Sport EBII

TheDuke83,

I work in Buckhead and I've seen 2 sport lines (1 328 and 1 335).... A modern line where I live (Dunwoody)... No other msport than my own ... Oh and quite a few base models with halogens
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #74
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Around here the no-lines outnumber everything else by a large margin. Luxury lines are a distant second, and Ive only rarely seen a sport or modern. Ive never seen an m-sport in the flesh.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #75
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
You can. I had an order for a 328i "Sport" line with a special order for the M-Sport wheel... cost $400. Very easy... I forgot the code; I think it was 710. In any case, you can do it. I just thought the whole package was worth it, but only available on 335i up here - so I got that instead.
Bummer! I wish I had known that as I would have done it in a heartbeat. I probably never mentioned it to my CA or may have told me. Oh well, my loss.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #76
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
Around here the no-lines outnumber everything else by a large margin. Luxury lines are a distant second, and Ive only rarely seen a sport or modern. Ive never seen an m-sport in the flesh.
It's been 6 weeks or so but the EB M Sport 328i we test drove was at BMW of Fairfax. Could still be on the lot.

Last edited by speeddeacon; 11-28-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #77
Redztone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1206
TheDuke83,

I work in Buckhead and I've seen 2 sport lines (1 328 and 1 335).... A modern line where I live (Dunwoody)... No other msport than my own ... Oh and quite a few base models with halogens
Gt1206 were you the white m-sport I saw in Dunwoody?

I have not spotted the Modern rolling around Dunwoody.
      11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #78
gt1206
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328 M-Sport EBII

I have an estoril blue ... Got it sep. 1st.... I have not seen a white M-Sport around my area.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #79
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
This is not the case for Canadian purchasers. The 335i M Sport option here offers the potential to add M Sport Adaptive suspension (not available with other lines), M Sport brakes (with Brembo callipers front and rear and larger rotors), and staggered 18" summer performance tires on M Sport alloys (only all seasons available with lines) in addition to the upgraded styling features.

So for some fortunate Canadian F30-335i buyers,
M Sport = upgraded suspension +upgraded brakes + upgraded traction + upgraded aesthetics. Not a bad package !!!
As you said, getting an Msport gives one the OPTION to add those things.
Thus, you have to ADD those items.
Msport then is a cosmetic pkg that opens up a line of options one can add.
If you don't get any added options, then you get.....cosmetics.

Also, I think in Canada you guys don't even get the sport suspension when you get the sport line, or the Msport?
Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #80
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
Have to disagree with this one...

The M Sport line gives you all of the features of the Sport line, including sports suspension and seats, PLUS a host of cosmetics.
It's ok to disagree.
Keep in mind Msport came later to buyers, that's why it's often referred to as a "cosmetic" pkg, as it's pretty much the same mechanically as the sport line, other than the steering wheel and different looking wheels.

I guess I have to be more accurate then.
Msport is a cosmetic pkg added to a sport line model.
Is that better?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #81
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
As you said, getting an Msport gives one the OPTION to add those things.
Thus, you have to ADD those items.
Msport then is a cosmetic pkg that opens up a line of options one can add.
If you don't get any added options, then you get.....cosmetics.

Also, I think in Canada you guys don't even get the sport suspension when you get the sport line, or the Msport?
Is that true?
M-sport gives you more than cosmetics, in the US.
  • 328i front brakes: 12.3" / rear - 11.8".
  • 328i M sport brakes - front: 13.4" / rear: 13.6"
  • 335i front brakes: 13.4"
  • 335i M sport brakes - front: 14.6" front / rear: 13.6" rear

You also get Sport Suspension, option 704, included. As well as sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #82
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
M-sport gives you more than cosmetics, in the US.
  • 328i front brakes: 12.3" / rear - 11.8".
  • 328i M sport brakes - front: 13.4" / rear: 13.6"
  • 335i front brakes: 13.4"
  • 335i M sport brakes - front: 14.6" front / rear: 13.6" rear

You also get Sport Suspension, option 704, included. As well as sport seats.
Before I post what I was going to post, please show me a source that states that US Msport models have larger brakes than their sport line cousins.

Perhaps you're confusing M 'performance brakes' with Msport OEM brakes.
M Performance brakes are an optional system.
The rotors are about 14.6" in front and 13.6" in the rear.

The OEM/stock brakes on the Msport are the same brakes that are on the sport line, respective to the series 328i or 335i.

Please reread the post you responded to.
The sport suspension and sport seats are also the same as they are in the sport line.
Msport = cosmetic's over the sport line. Oh wait, in the US.
The End.

Last edited by RPM90; 11-30-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #83
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Before I post what I was going to post, please show me a source that states that US Msport models have larger brakes than their sport line cousins.

As for 335i having larger brakes than the 328i, that's been around for a long time.

Perhaps you're confusing M 'performance brakes' with Msport OEM brakes.
M Performance brakes are an optional system.
The rotors are about 14.6" in front and 13.6" in the rear.

The OEM/stock brakes on the Msport are the same brakes that are on the sport line, respective to the series 328i or 335i.
No, the rotor size of the M-sport is increased over their respective non-standard/Lux/Sport/Modern line. The rotor is different (dimpled/slotted) along with a different color caliper on the M Performance Brake package. But the rotor size remains the same.

You can go measure the rotor size at any dealer with an M-sport car on the lot.

We've been over this same discussion, several times, and you are incorrect in your assumptions.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767121
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770182
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #84
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

4 weeks in from delivery. Still not seeing one F30, not to mention msport on the road -

too many Audis
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #85
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
No, the rotor size of the M-sport is increased over their respective non-standard/Lux/Sport/Modern line. The rotor is different (dimpled/slotted) along with a different color caliper on the M Performance Brake package. But the rotor size remains the same.

You can go measure the rotor size at any dealer with an M-sport car on the lot.

We've been over this same discussion, several times, and you are incorrect in your assumptions.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767121
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770182
I looked at those threads, but nothing about the US Msport OEM brakes.
"M sport" brakes are NOT included as OEM on Msport F30's.

Reference
Here's a link for you:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628998

BRAKES:

In the US, M Sport Brakes are a port of the M Sport Package
as a standalone option. In Germany, M Sport Brakes are option and the option requires either M Sport Package or a 335i with at least 18" wheels.

The M Sport Brakes feature bigger rotor sizes and fixed
piston calipers both front and rear. They are Brembo 4-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the front axle and 2-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the rear axle. The brake calipers are painted in dark blue and an M logo is applied (think of the F10 M5 caliper design here) (see the first photos below from a previous spy photo) . You may not want to miss out on the M Sport brakes, as BMW will be offering as a BMW Performance part, huge 370mm drilled/slotted brake discs for the M Sport brakes (see below).

370mm = about 14.6"

A
BTW, I have a 335i Msport in my garage.
I wish I had those nice colored 4 piston calipers.
Brake rotors look the same as they do on a 335i sport line.

I'm open to knowing if the Msport's do have rotors that size, but I haven't read anything that states that as true, and neither of those threads say it either. If you have a real reference source, please post it.

I again welcome you to read my post, the one you were responding to, as we're commenting on assumptions.
The sport seats and sport suspension in the Msport are the SAME as in the sport line, as I clearly stated in my post, the one you responded to.

Also, certain items and options are country specific, so what may come standard in a US spec Msport may be different that what one may get in Canada, or Europe, etc...

Last edited by RPM90; 11-30-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #86
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I looked at those threads, but nothing about the US Msport OEM brakes.
"M sport" brakes are NOT included as OEM on Msport F30's.

Reference
Here's a link for you:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628998

BRAKES:

In the US, M Sport Brakes are a port of the M Sport Package
as a standalone option. In Germany, M Sport Brakes are option and the option requires either M Sport Package or a 335i with at least 18" wheels.

The M Sport Brakes feature bigger rotor sizes and fixed
piston calipers both front and rear. They are Brembo 4-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the front axle and 2-piston aluminum fixed calipers on the rear axle. The brake calipers are painted in dark blue and an M logo is applied (think of the F10 M5 caliper design here) (see the first photos below from a previous spy photo) . You may not want to miss out on the M Sport brakes, as BMW will be offering as a BMW Performance part, huge 370mm drilled/slotted brake discs for the M Sport brakes (see below).

370mm = about 14.6"

A
BTW, I have a 335i Msport in my garage.
I wish I had those nice colored 4 piston calipers.
Brake rotors look the same as they do on a 335i sport line.

I'm open to knowing if the Msport's do have rotors that size, but I haven't read anything that states that as true, and neither of those threads say it either. If you have a real reference source, please post it.
Tell ya what, why don't you go measure your front and rear rotors? I would offer to, but my M-sport is still 6 weeks away Your calipers are the same as what you'd get in the $3K Performance brake upgrade package, just not colored red/yellow/orange.

Quote:
I again welcome you to read my post, the one you were responding to, as we're commenting on assumptions.
Also, certain items and options are country specific, so what may come standard in a US spec Msport may be different that what one may get in Canada, or Europe, etc...
The sport seats and sport suspension in the Msport are the SAME as in the sport line, as I clearly stated in my post, the one you responded to.

Your original post that I quoted makes no reference to sport seats or sport suspension.

I'm quite aware that the sport seats and sport suspension are exclusive to the M-sport and Sport lines (in the US) and never insinuated otherwise. Just pointing out that compared to No-line/Modern/Luxury, you do get something other than cosmetic improvements with the M-sport package.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #87
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
It's ok to disagree.
Keep in mind Msport came later to buyers, that's why it's often referred to as a "cosmetic" pkg, as it's pretty much the same mechanically as the sport line, other than the steering wheel and different looking wheels.

I guess I have to be more accurate then.
Msport is a cosmetic pkg added to a sport line model.
Is that better?

i've accepted that it is. and i think totally worth it haha. the sportline bumpers are the same as the other lines, just with differences in chrome etc. for them to have to mold m-sport specific bumpers and side skirts, and wheel, i figure the lower volume costs BMW a bit.

that said, m-sport is not common. most BMWs you can't tell what they are on the street. i live in LA in a decent part of town. and i work in santa monica. today was the first time i have ever seen an m-sport actually being driven by someone who owned it.

i'd only previously seen them on dealer lots. So today i'm going to lunch in my 2 day old m-sport. saw another guy in a mineral gray 328i m-sport. he had lighting package too, which is actually fairly rare ( at the dealers i've been to probably 25% of m-sports had lighting, no one gets it apparently in LA or something).

guess where i was for lunch. Yes mcdonalds! mineral gray guy did the drive thru. i "dined" in.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #88
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, but you responded to my post about the sport seats and suspension as if I got something wrong, which I didn't.

Stop being a child with the "No, I did, but no, I did."
Jeeez.

Measure your own rotors when your Msport comes in.

BTW, no comment on the Msport info on that thread?
That is from BMW posted by a moderator.
Email him and tell he posted incorrect info, and you and I can stop this idiocy.
That post is old, and does have some incorrect info in it.

You can look up the part numbers yourself, or you can measure your own car. You seem to be the only person on these boards refusing to recognize the bigger brake size of the M-sports (non M Performance), so really don't know what to tell you?

http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?p...ur=&series=F30 (non M-sport front brake disc) These are the 13.4" version, which is the standard on the 335i, and optional rotor size for 328i M-sport.

http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?p...ur=&series=F30 (M-sport front brake disc) These are only for 335i/335ix/AH3 M-sport, and are the 14.6" version.

The "slotted" version available as part of the M-performance brake package is is this: http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?p...7603&showus=on
Appreciate 0