F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > The new baby is home!
ARMA SPEED

01-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #1
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i MY14 M Sport

The new baby is home!

It has arrived! After being fitted with it's fancy part from Germany, my new 328i is here. Mineral Grey is a great colour, while I was waiting I thought I should have got EBII but I'm very happy with the original decision.

It's just been Opti Coated, looks fantastic although they did pick up on a few paint imperfections that they couldn't fix - I never would have noticed them if he didn't point them out! The opti coat looks absolutely fantastic. Windows tinted next week.

Few little disappointments though - the centre console trim has a fairly obvious scratch in it - they're going to get a new one in. The rubber seals around the windows look as if they belong on 10 year old car left out in the weather - they're going to have a look at it when I check-in in a few weeks, and my expectations are that they will replace them too.

Here are a few pics - this is pre opticoat or tinted windows.

I thought I'd throw out some comparisons - maybe more so for prospective buyers rather than those lucky enough to be in the same shoes...

I had an E90 320d with the M innovations pack, and after selling that had a F30 320d luxury edition as a loaner. My top 10 thoughts on the differences:
1. the diesel engine seems to perform better in the F30. Not sure if it's the same engine but it was far more fuel efficient. Didn't sound quite as nice though (for a diesel).
2. I initially hated the new screen design when I saw it at the launch. I've grown to like it - it seems much better positioned now for driving comfort and safety.
3. Cruise control - I prefer the old stalk version, but that doesn't mean i hate the new wheel-type controller. I do hate having to turn it 'on' first.
4. Cuise control indicator - the red/green coloured indicator on the speedo is fantastic.
5. Woodgrain trim is abhorrent. Why anyone would get it is beyond me.
6. Generally the luxury package is really not my cup of tea, and i'm not sure why anyone would get it.
7. the no "all" button on the air-con: i miss it, could it be because of my OCD?
8. auto stop-start. Great idea, but pointless if you have the air-con on. The keyless start is great, but there's plenty of cars out there with it now as standard, even down the lower end.
9. the storage options in the boot now are fantastic. such a great little extra
10. I do not like the audio wheel on the steering wheel. I miss being able to flick through my saved radio favourites. Paddle shifters are a win though.

Now from the 320d luxury to the 328i M-sport.... Worlds apart!
1. The engine... ohhhhhh baby! I got rid of the diesel because I was tired of the truck noise - it sounds sweeeeeet and just loves it when you put your foot down. Immense fun.
2. The Pro Sat Nav - I will reiterate simonb's comments here - the screen is crisp, the system animations are quicker (including the map), the map goes down to 10m, split screen is fantastic. Definitely go Pro.
3. Voice Commands - I thought this would be a gimmick, but it's actually quite switched on. Dialing friends in your phone book, or telling it an address to go to is a cinch. Very handy indeed. Bonus to be utilise Siri through it too.
4. The seats. Sport seats are a must - they were fantastic in the E90 but they're even better in the F30. Slightly more comfortable, fully electric and lumbar support just make them some much better on the predecessor. And there is absolutely no comparison to the standard seats - rubbish.
5.The shape. I feel that the body shape is an overall improvement. Just looks leaner and meaner.
6. HUD - PHENOMENAL. Stuck it in because I like my toys - best decision I made. Two friends have taken a look and are super impressed to. Clean, crisp and downright useful. It's a must.
7. Comfort access - yes, i know this is another option - but seriously, how cool is it?
8. M Sport pack - shits all over the luxury edition for the sake of 3 or 4k. A must.I particularly love the rims and the body kit, along with many of the other styling features.
9. iDrive touch - clever and useful. Not a deal breaker unless you don't have the voice navigation. Works a treat!
10. 328i spec inclusions - it's a price jump over the 320 variants, but I think it's worth it, not only for the engine, but for the long list of inclusions that come standard. Also - think carefully about the MY14 vs the MY13 specs - the inclusions are great but i imagine at a significant price difference for floor stock they'll be trying to get rid of soon.

I thought the 320d loaner would ruin my 'new car' joy but it's such a step up that it was like I'd never driven a F30. This was one of my better impulse decisions... !!!

Sorry for the rant, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts for the sake of starting an argument (lol) or for future purchasers!

Cheers
Simon
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep

PS - the photo of the rubber seals probably doesn't do it justice. They look faded and have water marks all along them.

There's also plenty of fine scratches in the B-pillar plastics.... grrrrrrr....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsimonm View Post
PS - the photo of the rubber seals probably doesn't do it justice. They look faded and have water marks all along them.

Unfortunately both of those things seem to be standard options mate.

Bar Beach looks lovely this time of the year

Congrats on the car mate, my first f30 was MG as well. Loved the colour.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
macca1410
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey

Congratulations Simon, very nice indeed. One question, what was the "fancy part from Germany" that was fitted? Sorry maybe you said and I missed it.

My rubber seals look the same doubt they will change them. If they do please let us know, thanks.

Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
Chandy168
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i MG // VW Amarok

Congratulations on the new car! Welcome to the MG club! You sound like you're enjoying your car much more than me! I was on the verge of waiting for a 2014 spec over my 2013 spec, however, with a 30k discount from 2014, i couldn't turn it down. Practically the same thing, and from what i've seen, the touch controller isn't a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #6
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the congrats guys.

The fancy part was some part that needed to come from Germany with my VIN specifically encoded into it. About an hour prior to picking it up, the car was coming up with rear seatbelt faults. This was apparently the only fix. For those who saw my earlier thread about it - they gave me a $100 voucher. I told them I want happy but they refused to budge. Yet they were very keen for me to rate them 5 stars when the survey comes...

Chandy - I couldn't agree with you more, although 30k sems like a massive difference!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
328iFan
Rep
Drives: 328i

Congrats on your new car. You'll smile every time you get in for a drive.

I doubt the other guy got a 30k discount. There's no way his 328i would have costed anywhere near 97k, unless he was seriously about to be ripped off.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #8
SimonB
135 to 335 M Sport to X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30d, optioned up!

Congrats, please that you're pleased and that someone read my rumblings over the last few weeks
      01-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #9
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Hi Simon, congrats on the new ride, Its a beaut.
I enjoyed reading your review especially when comparing it to the 320D.

Its a phenomenal machine and felt more torquey when compared to the 328i. The shove into the seats from the 320D is quite nice for day-today driving in the city but the diesel noise at idle is noticeable. They're both excellent choices & I had a hard time deciding which I would consider when I tested them both back to back.

Seems like you got a fantastic deal on yours, I'm curious to know your drive away price if you don't mind sharing it (you can PM if you like).
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi Ichiro, thanks for your comments.

I got it for just under $80k. Pretty sure I got a great deal!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:

Nice ride, in regards to the water marks along the rubber seals, mine drove me insane every time i washed mine.. I mentioned it to auto classic and they just shrugged their shoulders.
They have stopped spotting now and look spot on when I wash it.. I think it was the rubber wearing in perhaps?
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:

That's a good deal for an MY14. Congrats again and enjoy your new car
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #13
mingminglam
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:

Hi Docsimonm,

I am looking into buying a 328i as well. Just wondering if you mind to list what option did you have on car?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
ausrallydoc
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:

My 3er came with both those additional extras - pleased to report that my detailer dealt with both problems easily enough. The only marks on the B pillars are now from fingers and are easily removed!
      01-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Welcome to the 328i family Awesome fun car and after I've installed a piggy back tune, I can't go back to stock.

I'm glad your detailer fixed up the glossy panels on the B Pillar (always the easiest to scratch and therefore a good yardstick when determining the condition of a car) and the water spots on the rubber trim. I'm dare say that he would've applied some sort of plastic / rubber product to conceal the water spots (that's what I've done) and when the product is worn out after a few washes, the spots will return. If that's not the case, I'd like to know what was applied??
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:36 AM   #16
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Dude now u gotto work your way up the tune JB4 or Superchips Worlds apart!

Congrats on the new car.. Love the grey M sports..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #17
siddant
Rep
Drives: 2014 - BMW 328i M-Sport

Color looks awesome ! and a great choice
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:34 AM   #18
ausrallydoc
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Hey docsimonm - you now need to update your details from 320d to 328i
      01-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #19
docsimonm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ha ha I do indeed need to update my details!

The options on the car were:
MY14 (includes pro nag)
M Sport
HUD
VSS
Comfort access
Sunroof
Xenon lights

I also got 4 years thrown in as part of the corporate program.

Final price $79900.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #20
secret agent
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428 M Perf

wow MG is such a nice colour !!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
TMW77