F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter or All-Season Tires?
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: Which tires should I go with?
Bridgestone Blizzaks Winter 21 80.77%
Bridgestone RE970 All-Season 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

10-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
G80_Soom
Freude am fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3 6MT IOMG/KO

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Winter or All-Season Tires?

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide whether I should go with winter tires(Staggered Bridgestone Blizzaks) or All-Seasons( Staggered Bridgestone RE970AS). Both are the highest rated in the category on Tirerack. My car came with Bridgestone S001 RFT Summer which are OK but not the greatest in performance and steering response. I originally definitely was going with the RE970AS but I'm kinda nervous about it's traction in the snow. It's excellent in all aspects(steering response, ride, performance, etc) but fair in snow. Blizzaks are average in all aspects but excellent in snow.

Like everyone, I do not want to slide into another car or get stuck. Being in the Philadelphia area, it's not terrible in the winter. It will snow about 6-8 times all winter and average about 2-3 inches. About 1 major storm where we'll get 5+ inches. If I get the Blizzaks, I would run the S001 RFT for the rest of the year.

Which do you recommend? Could I safely get by with All-Seasons? Also, those who have changed the S001 RFT to other tires, please tell me your experience. Thanks.
'13 F30 Estoril Blue 335i 6MT
#savethemanuals

Last edited by G80_Soom; 10-31-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

even the best all season tires are "worst" than the winter dedicated tires
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46toF30 View Post
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide whether I should go with winter tires(Staggered Bridgestone Blizzaks) or All-Seasons( Staggered Bridgestone RE970AS). Both are the highest rated in the category on Tirerack. My car came with Bridgestone S001 RFT Summer which are OK but not the greatest in performance and steering response. I originally definitely was going with the RE970AS but I'm kinda nervous about it's traction in the snow. It's excellent in all aspects(steering response, ride, performance, etc) but fair in snow. Blizzaks are average in all aspects but excellent in snow.

Like everyone, I do not want to slide into another car or get stuck. Being in the Philadelphia area, it's not terrible in the winter. It will snow about 6-8 times all winter and average about 2-3 inches. About 1 major storm where we'll get 5+ inches. If I get the Blizzaks, I would run the S001 RFT for the rest of the year.

Which do you recommend? Also, those who have changed the S001 RFT to other tires, please tell me your experience. Thanks.
I have the 19" with the S0001's. I bought dedicated 18" rims and put the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II on them (Tire Rack), same size tire on all 4. Excellent performance when the roads are dry or wet, not just in snow/ice. I used the Elbrus 108 wheels... inexpensive, look quite a bit like the BMW 403's, and can take BMW caps too... they look pretty decent. Don't bother with all seasons!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Why stagger winter tires? U want skinny tires man!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
I have the 19" with the S0001's. I bought dedicated 18" rims and put the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II on them (Tire Rack), same size tire on all 4. Excellent performance when the roads are dry or wet, not just in snow/ice. I used the Elbrus 108 wheels... inexpensive, look quite a bit like the BMW 403's, and can take BMW caps too... they look pretty decent. Don't bother with all seasons!

I just ordered the same Pirelli tyre for my winter set - glad to hear you have good things to say about them.
Have you had to go through anything icey/snowy yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH

Background: I've owned both RWD and AWD and lived everywhere from Rhode Island to Arizona and several places in-between.

In my experience all seasons are basically worthless on a RWD car if you're driving in real snow (anything over 1/2") or up any kind of hill. They're better than summer tires, but not by enough to make up for only having 2 drive wheels. 1" of fresh snow in a RWD car with the best all season tires is still terrible.

With AWD and good all-seasons and you can get by in light snow fine. Not as well as pure snow tires in terms of braking and turning, but you won't have to white-knuckle in mortal terror at 1" of snow keeping you from going up an incline or sending the ass end of your car sideways either, which is a real problem with RWD and all-seasons. AWD gives you more margin of error there, though ultimately it still comes down to tires.

If I lived in the Philadelphia area I'd buy a set of winter wheels and dedicated snow tires. All seasons will not cut it for you unless you just stay at home when it snows.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops_f30 View Post
I just ordered the same Pirelli tyre for my winter set - glad to hear you have good things to say about them.
Have you had to go through anything icey/snowy yet?
lol...Well, as you see, they are not even on the car yet. I just got the car yesterday! But in all my research, and discussions with Tirerack and reviews from other drivers in BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's, etc, I've seen only good reviews with these tires. What they liked most was that did not find any real performance change moving from their pure summer tires to these.. amazingly. And in winter conditions, especially with those that have AWD, these performed exceptionally well. Here in Connecticut it can be either like last year, almost nothing, or we get slammed, but even in the worst events, the roads are bad for a day or so, then they are cleaned up. If the roads are really bad, I just don't go out and work form home. Another positive for these are that they are much less noisy than the Blizzaks. For heavier snow and ice, the Blizzaks are the overall winner, but this is not Alaska. The Blizzaks did not have the same level of performance in non-winter conditions, and that is what I will have 90% of the time.

To the op, your in Philly so forget all seasons like other are saying. Stick with dedicated summer tires and a 2nd set dedicated to winter, but still allowing you to drive the car as you wish because you have good winter performance tires. And also, like others have said, forget the staggered setup... just go with the same size tires all around. For me it was these or the Michelin Alpin PA3. But based on what I found, these perform equally well with non-snow conditions, and better in winter conditions than the PA3. I liked the new PA4 too, but they did not come in the correct size and are too new to have enough reviews. I am using P225/45-R18's all around. The tires are mounted, hunter balanced, have TPM installed, and it's simply take the summers off, put the winters on, and vice-versa. Cost me $1700 out the door for tires, wheels, TPM, and the BMW caps. (I did save shipping because Tirerack's warehouse is right in my home town so I could just pick them up... nice. HUGE place!!) I did NOT bother with the run-flats. You can save a couple hundred bucks by not using the TPM and the light in the car will remain on, but that's up to you. Hope this helps... good luck!

Last edited by Rick955; 11-01-2012 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
G80_Soom
Freude am fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3 6MT IOMG/KO

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
lol...Well, as you see, they are not even on the car yet. I just got the car yesterday! But in all my research, and discussions with Tirerack and reviews from other drivers in BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's, etc, I've seen only good reviews with these tires. What they liked most was that did not find any real performance change moving from their pure summer tires to these.. amazingly. And in winter conditions, especially with those that have AWD, these performed exceptionally well. Here in Connecticut it can be either like last year, almost nothing, or we get slammed, but even in the worst events, the roads are bad for a day or so, then they are cleaned up. If the roads are really bad, I just don't go out and work form home. Another positive for these are that they are much less noisy than the Blizzaks. For heavier snow and ice, the Blizzaks are the overall winner, but this is not Alaska. The Blizzaks did not have the same level of performance in non-winter conditions, and that is what I will have 90% of the time.

To the op, your in Philly so forget all seasons like other are saying. Stick with dedicated summer tires and a 2nd set dedicated to winter, but still allowing you to drive the car as you wish because you have good winter performance tires. And also, like others have said, forget the staggered setup... just go with the same size tires all around. For me it was these or the Michelin Alpin PA3. But based on what I found, these perform equally well with non-snow conditions, and better in winter conditions than the PA3. I liked the new PA4 too, but they did not come in the correct size and are too new to have enough reviews. I am using P225/45-R18's all around. The tires are mounted, hunter balanced, have TPM installed, and it's simply take the summers off, put the winters on, and vice-versa. Cost me $1700 out the door for tires, wheels, TPM, and the BMW caps. (I did save shipping because Tirerack's warehouse is right in my home town so I could just pick them up... nice. HUGE place!!) I did NOT bother with the run-flats. You can save a couple hundred bucks by not using the TPM and the light in the car will remain on, but that's up to you. Hope this helps... good luck!
Thank you all for your input. I will be going with the winter set. However, I really like the look of staggered tires. Will it hurt my snow performance if I did not go squared?
'13 F30 Estoril Blue 335i 6MT
#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46toF30 View Post
Thank you all for your input. I will be going with the winter set. However, I really like the look of staggered tires. Will it hurt my snow performance if I did not go squared?
Well, as you probably know, the thinner the tire, the better the actual traction in snow... I don't remember if you have the xDrive or not, but with just RWD, fatter tires on the back will certainly not be an advantage in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Hniel
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

I'm kicking myself for not getting the staggered

BUT, at the time I ordered the 18's for my m sport they didn't show that option and my fault, should have asked. Tirerack btw, great service I also have to say, I don't need to drive the car on bad days as we have a back up 2008 Z71 and... I find these 225/45 blizzak, LM 60's, break loose like heck. I had them on my 2010 335 msprt but it was manual and I could control the take off better. I assume the staggered would be wider yet, not sure. Anyway they are great and just need to be easy on the pedal. jmo. OH, let me run out and take a shot of the rims I ordered....LOL...sooo, in conclusion, I feel I didn't order the staggered since in south eastern Ontario, winters are not as bad as some USA centres. That is the way we spell centre in Canada btw, Hope everyone loves their new f30's. Hniel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I'm getting a set of all season Bridgestone RE970's in staggered sizing for my Msport.
I have the tires on reserve at the Tire Rack and plan on getting them installed either tomorrow or the next Saturday.

I'm still not sure if these will be as good as the Conti DWS I had on my 135i.
The DWS do have a softer sidewall and thus a reduction in steering response, but with a bit more psi they worked great on my 135i, and they were great in the rain and on cold slushy roads during the winter. On snow and light snow I drove cautiously, but I do anyway when the weather turns nasty, and the DWS got me through 3 winters just fine.
TR reviews the RE970's as being a better handling tire with crisp steering response, but I'm not yet sold on how they will do no light snow.
TR says they are great in wet conditions, so that bodes well for wet, cold, and slushy roads, but not enough driver reviews during the winter.
I may switch at the last minute and go with the Conti DWS.

SO, I'm going with all seasons like I always have, and I'll post on how it goes once we get some really cold and snowy weather.

BTW, for the majority of the winter when there isn't any snow on the roads, the DWS were excellent, quiet ride, good cold temp grip.
In the summer they were better in the wet than the OEM RFT summer performance tires. On dry warm roads they had about the same performance in cornering grip and braking. The OEM RFT's on the 135i weren't the best summer performance tire to begin with. The 335i Msport S001's feel to me to have better warm dry grip than the 135i's RFT's. The S001's aren't that great in the wet. They are ok, but as good as the DWS were on the 135i.

I know most people here prefer 2 sets of tires, and it makes a lot of sense to have winter tires in the winter especially for those who drive regularly on hilly terrain and/or if you get a lot of snow that doesn't get cleared readily. Having 2 sets of tires allows you to have the best summer performance tires, and the best tire for winter snow conditions. No argument there.

I just wanted to give my experience with using all seasons in an area that is very flat, and when it snows the roads are cleared very quickly, and we're driving mostly on cold, damp/wet roads or cold "dusty/with road salt" roads during the winter.
I've been driving on all season tires pretty much since the mid 80's, as the majority of cars around do. And, we've survived.

Last edited by RPM90; 11-02-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Being in Philadelphia myself I know full well how the winter is around here. Can get somewhat harsh but only a couple times and everyone stays home. Snow never stays on the road very long, everything is plowed away all night.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Shep1
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i msport;135i m convertible

Dedicated winter wheels and tires are best. All 4 should be the same size. The wider the tire, the worse in snow. The comments that narrower tires are better are right.

For my 2013 335i m sport, I am going with 18 inch winter wheels on Pirelli Sottozero purchased from my dealer (225/45R18 95V). I don't have time to race around investigating other options and I rely on BMW Canada's advice for tire packages. Sure it is more expensive but we are all driving BMWs anyway so are we really worried about saving a few dollars? If so, we are in the wrong cars!

I have my winter wheels waxed and the tires ready in anticipation of installation in 10 days' time before the arrival on southern Ontario winter.
Appreciate 0