F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
GetBMWParts

07-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #419
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Packing slip for M-Perf kit.
Attached Images

Last edited by ronin951; 07-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Fix pic
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #420
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post
After deciding the H&R Sport Springs + Stock Susp isn't the greatest, I've got the BMW Performance Suspension being installed into my lux next week. My quote is 2600 for parts (M Performance suspension: front and rear shocks, front and rear sway bars, front and rear springs, and hardware) and 1800 for labor. My parts guy here at the Seattle, WA dealership said I'm the first person to have this installed there... we'll see how it goes.

Pics of my current setup here:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857544

$1800 for labor??? Is that not too high? How many hours of work did they mention?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #421
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
what is the labor cost?
I find out tomorrow. If it's anything more than 6hrs I'll consider doing it myself or take it elsewhere. If you have an M-Sport, this is a straight forward swap. Assuming you have the tools and a spring compressor.

If I have to do it myself I'll probably just take the struts to a suspension shop and pay them $20 bucks to do the spring work. last time I did suspension work I about lost my head with the cheap loaner I got from autozone.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #422
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
$1800 for labor??? Is that not too high? How many hours of work did they mention?
When I asked why labor was so high, the lead tech replied with this:

"The front and rear sway bars are located between the body and respective subframes. In order to replace/swap the sway bars the subframe has to be partially or almost completely removed. To facilitate this, the engine has to be supported from above for the front subframe and the exhaust and drive train need to be partially removed for the rear subframe in order to allow enough clearance between the body to allow for part removal. The swapping and disassembly of the struts is also somewhat labor intensive as well. I looked up the normal labor time to do these repairs and it shows about 17hrs so the 13-14 is actually lower then what is normally charged. I hope this answers your question."
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #423
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that does help. Just wondering how others in this forum have been claiming that 6-8 hours work for this is reasonable.

If it is indeed going to take so much for labor, then to me it is not worth it I guess
I think it depends if you're going from MSport --> Performance suspension or Stock Suspension --> Performance suspension (like I'm doing). My understanding is that you already have the correct sway bars if you have MSport, so this portion wouldn't need to be done. Can someone chime in and let me know if this is correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #424
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was quoted 6hrs on an M-Sport + alignment.

Bl@ster's response saddens me. It's hard to believe you have to go through all that just to get to the sway bars. If it were me, I'd trade in for an M-Sport rather than have them tear apart my car like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #425
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Lightbulb

Quote:
I just found the BMW install instructions for this retrofit and it mentions that it should take appx 6.5 hours to do this job.

So the question to all of you is that for those cars without existing M-sport suspension, how much time do we think it should take to change the sway bars? (I know it a is pain)

We should simply add that time to the 6.5 hours to arrive at the overall estimate.
All in it should be about 8 hours, I think that's what I quoted somewhere in this thread...

The BULK of the time (something like 4-5 hours) was the sway bars.

BUT well worth it...the springs and struts don't take too long, BMW was kind in that manner...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #426
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another dealer has agreed to 8 hrs @ $140/hr + $180 for alignment.

Other dealers in the same area have quoted 10 hours but at @ $110/hr.

At the minimum it looks like this is going to be a $1000-$1200 labor. So with parts (from tischer) we are looking at about $3000. Debating if it is really worth it or should I just go for a sway bar kit (when it comes out)
yeah I think I came to about $2000 or 2500 all in?

that's with free springs (dealer covered) and $170 alignment....it's definitely a lot, but the sway bars made a world of difference on the track, and the fact that I could pass 4 door M3's on the track (and nip at their heel; independent of driver skill), surely must demonstrate the strength of the setup.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #427
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
...but the sway bars made a world of difference on the track, and the fact that I could pass 4 door M3's on the track (and nip at their heel; independent of driver skill), surely must demonstrate the strength of the setup.
Are these the OEM M Sport sway bars that you're referring to? (If I recall from earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you have one of the other model lines, and added the sway bars that come standard with the M Sport line cars...)

I just ordered a 2014 M Sport w/ DHP, and while I'm planning on sticking with the EDC dampers for the time being, I am considering shorter/stiffer springs...either the M Perf springs, or maybe H&R Sport. But any other suggestions for fairly inexpensive suspension mods to tighten things up would be appreciated.
      07-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #428
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCperformance View Post
Are these the OEM M Sport sway bars that you're referring to? (If I recall from earlier in the thread, you mentioned that you have one of the other model lines, and added the sway bars that come standard with the M Sport line cars...)

I just ordered a 2014 M Sport w/ DHP, and while I'm planning on sticking with the EDC dampers for the time being, I am considering shorter/stiffer springs...either the M Perf springs, or maybe H&R Sport. But any other suggestions for fairly inexpensive suspension mods to tighten things up would be appreciated.
Yes, the M Sport Sway Bars - unsure how anything wider would work on the street/track.

Spring wise, you can always try the M Performance ones, but I believe there are more people that have used the H&R springs on the DHP setup...

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #429
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Took the time to read the 20 pages on this thread but totally worth it .

So I'm on a baseline 328i with 17 inch wheels. I may get some money back from the previous cars extended warranty refund (that was a loaded e90 335i) so I'm thinking ill spend it + a bit more on making this car handle well.

So my question: if I get this m performance suspension upgrade but keep the stock wheels and tires, will that make much of a difference? Looks like I can either upgrade wheels and tires or the suspension kit, I'm leaning towards the suspension. What do you think?

Anyone done this with a base 328i and 17" wheels?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing all your experiences shivaswrath, bananachips and others!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #430
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Took the time to read the 20 pages on this thread but totally worth it .

So I'm on a baseline 328i with 17 inch wheels. I may get some money back from the previous cars extended warranty refund (that was a loaded e90 335i) so I'm thinking ill spend it + a bit more on making this car handle well.

So my question: if I get this m performance suspension upgrade but keep the stock wheels and tires, will that make much of a difference? Looks like I can either upgrade wheels and tires or the suspension kit, I'm leaning towards the suspension. What do you think?

Anyone done this with a base 328i and 17" wheels?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing all your experiences shivaswrath, bananachips and others!
Coming from the base (non-sport) suspension, the M Performance suspension will be a huge improvement. Ride height will come down 30mm, and the ride will be much firmer... both of which will really dial-in the handling.
Depending on what tires you have (run flats?), upgrading may have a significant improvement here as well. Larger wheels are primarily for looks, but tires can make a huge difference in handling.
      07-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #431
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks, I have the stock runflats.
      07-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #432
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Just curious if anyone did this on the 328i, especially base 328 with 17" tyres (I see a lot of 335is in this thread). Anyone from California? If you can share what deal you got for this installation, any reviews on which dealership did a good or bad job, would be nice.

Also curious - people who started out with baselines replaced the suspensions - did you do anything to change your steering wheel? Does that make a difference at all? My dealer quoted around 2500 for the steering wheel , apparently because you need to replace airbag and buttons too. Definitely not worth it imho. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #433
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just curious if anyone did this on the 328i, especially base 328 with 17" tyres (I see a lot of 335is in this thread). Anyone from California? If you can share what deal you got for this installation, any reviews on which dealership did a good or bad job, would be nice.

Also curious - people who started out with baselines replaced the suspensions - did you do anything to change your steering wheel? Does that make a difference at all? My dealer quoted around 2500 for the steering wheel , apparently because you need to replace airbag and buttons too. Definitely not worth it imho. What do you think?
Unsure if it works with the 328i....

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #434
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Yes, I'm having the M Perf suspension put on my 328i with stock susp right now... Seattle, WA dealership is doing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #435
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

That's nice, bl@ster! What is it costing you for parts and labour?

Are you keeping the stock 17" wheels and tyres?

I'd really appreciate if you could provide detailed "before" and "after" driving impressions.

I'm still wrapping my mind around what's a suspension limitation and what's a tire limitation with the stock setup's handling. Only getting more confused the more I think about it .

Looking forward to your update. Thanks in advance.
      07-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #436
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey shivaswrath / bananachipz / others,

What wheel and tire combo do you have with the m perf package? Specifically, is that engineered to work only with OEM BMW tires / wheels, or is aftermarket ok?

If you were in my situation, which would you do first in order of installation - install aftermarket wheels + tires from a third party shop, get it aligned and the take it to BMW for the mperf? Or the other way round- install mperf suspension, then take it to third party for wheels and tires?

Just wondering which of the two has less likelihood to screwup alignment and other settings..

Also will bmw refuse to do mperf suspension if I change to non-oem wheels and tires?
      07-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #437
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's nice, bl@ster! What is it costing you for parts and labour?

Are you keeping the stock 17" wheels and tyres?

I'd really appreciate if you could provide detailed "before" and "after" driving impressions.

I'm still wrapping my mind around what's a suspension limitation and what's a tire limitation with the stock setup's handling. Only getting more confused the more I think about it .

Looking forward to your update. Thanks in advance.
I never had stock 17's. Mine is a Lux line so it came with 18" wheels and I upgraded to the 19" 403M wheels.

I can provide before and after driving impressions, sure. Others have reviewed the new setup as well.

I was initially quoted $2600 for parts and $1850 for labor but I am getting them to give me a discount since I balked at that quote.

What's your local dealership quoting you?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #438
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl@ster View Post
I never had stock 17's. Mine is a Lux line so it came with 18" wheels and I upgraded to the 19" 403M wheels.

I can provide before and after driving impressions, sure. Others have reviewed the new setup as well.

I was initially quoted $2600 for parts and $1850 for labor but I am getting them to give me a discount since I balked at that quote.

What's your local dealership quoting you?
I had 18's (225/45's) with P7's; upgraded to 400M's with 225-255 staggered setup.

The tires matter, only really if you're tracking, as I had my M Performance Suspension installed during the winter, and had the winter tires on

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #439
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
The tires matter, only really if you're tracking, as I had my M Performance Suspension installed during the winter, and had the winter tires on
I humbly disagree. most drivers can easily reach the limits of the stock tires on the street...if you try. Don't get me wrong. It's not going to be a safety issue per-se, but under the right conditions you can get them howling real good. That said, being at the limit just adds to the excitement
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #440
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Apparently under stock 17"s it doesn't take much- just throttle into any regular U-turns (that too on a dry road). I will be very, very careful driving this in the rain.

However the question in my mind is more about reducing the body roll and "tight" BMW feel. Looks lik I'll hav to get the suspension upgrade and decide for myself whether that gives the feel or not. I'll be a first on this forum with that combo .