F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Low Back Pain
Studio RSR

05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW

Low Back Pain

I have recently experienced low back pain. I have gotten a MRI and it was diagnosed as a Herniated Disc (L3-L5).

Can anybody provide methods to cure the issue as well as techniques to provide some relief as the disc heals. The pain is absolutely terrible. Somebody please help.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
My dad had this, had to get surgery. The procedure has become much more streamlined since his (1990s), and I think can unobtrusively be performed with maybe an overnight in patient.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

I feel for you bro... back pain is some of the absolute worst. I've got L5-S1 issues which means I can't even walk when its bad.

I only know what helps me, but here goes.

Lay on your back on the floor/bed with legs straight. Take your right foot and and bring it up with your ankle even with your left knee (your right knee should be straight up, not out to the side). Take your left arm and grab your right knee and stretch it over your left leg like you were stretching your glutes, etc. This will hurt, but in a good way. (opposite for opposite side)

Another trick that helps me is when I'm laying down stuff a shit ton of pillows under both legs to your legs basically look like you are sitting (even though you are laying down). This takes a lot of pressure off of the spine and makes pain tollerable'ish.

Good luck.. hopefully it goes away in a week or so... time is the best healer for this type of thing. But when you feel like you can get up and around, force yourself to do so... even though it hurts, it'll help you heal.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Well, depending on how bad it is, they can surgically replace a disc. I'm not sure if it's an approved procedure yet, but there was an outpatient surgery in the making where they would insert a certain gauge "wire" in there or something like that, instead of fusing the vertebrae together.

I've got a whole bunch of those (herniated discs) in all three sections of my spine, but none are intruding too badly into my spine or the nerve branches (sorry, forgot what they're called). I've been assigned to intense physical therapy to try to restrengthen my back to encourage better support and posture.

You're better off consulting with a doctor to determine what's best for your scenario. Herniated discs aren't known to "heal" too well, and the action that needs to be taken depends greatly on exactly what your specific situation is.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

cannibis club, here you come!
Appreciate 2
DieselOG1673.50
      05-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep

Well I have seen the doctor a few times. I have done Physical Therapy, Strectching, Pilates, Spinal Epidural Injections, Chiropractor, Inversion...etc...BUT not surgury.

I found the best method is simply to ICE the back and rest. Taking pain meds does help but obviously its only temporary and not healthy at all to just pop pills. But at the worst times, I can't even walk. Its just so terrible. It seriously just ruins your life during the painful moments.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileydog View Post
Well I have seen the doctor a few times. I have done Physical Therapy, Strectching, Pilates, Spinal Epidural Injections, Chiropractor, Inversion...etc...BUT not surgury.

I found the best method is simply to ICE the back and rest. Taking pain meds does help but obviously its only temporary and not healthy at all to just pop pills. But at the worst times, I can't even walk. Its just so terrible. It seriously just ruins your life during the painful moments.
Well sounds like you've exhausted all the alternatives. Have you consulted to see if there's a possible procedure to rectify your issue? You seem to have run out of options.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      05-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileydog View Post
It seriously just ruins your life during the painful moments.
Dude I got to a point where I had litterally done everything I possibly could to get better... i was on this YOYO where I was good one week, down for a week, good the next week, down for a week....

It is so frustrating. Man o man.. I sincerely feel bad for you, I know its terrible.

I would hope for your sake you aren't sleeping on a shit mattress are you?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep

I actually just switched matteresses. I bought a new temperpedic bed after experience back pain for 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Yoga. Surgery. Core strength.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      05-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'm not sure if it's an approved procedure yet, but there was an outpatient surgery in the making where they would insert a certain gauge "wire" in there or something like that, instead of fusing the vertebrae together.

This is the procedure I was talking about. A coworkers wife actually got it recently, but I haven't heard any good/bad other than it was very unintrusive and required little rehab. So from that POV it's good, but not sure how effective it actually is at fixing your back, as it's a pretty recent development
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

The absolute last option I would consider is surgery. You need someone to assess the cause of the dysfunction otherwise you're treating the symptom of a greater problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

have you tried a heating pad?
      05-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
have you tried a heating pad?
Heat is bad for these kind of injuries believe it or not.... It's the first thing I thought when I was having issues too. Ice is where its at for "nerve" issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #15
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Heat is bad for these kind of injuries believe it or not.... It's the first thing I thought when I was having issues too. Ice is where its at for "nerve" issues.
i tweaked my back in sports is HS and i just rotated heat and cold, but mine wasnt nerve damage just a slight pull
      05-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
i tweaked my back in sports is HS and i just rotated heat and cold, but mine wasnt nerve damage just a slight pull
Yeah heat + cold works wonders for muscle aches/pains, etc... That's probably why everyone's initial thought (including my own) was to go straight to heat since its just the type of pain most people are used to dealing with when their "back is sore."

Believe me though.. nerve pain is a whole other echelon of discomfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Yeah heat + cold works wonders for muscle aches/pains, etc... That's probably why everyone's initial thought (including my own) was to go straight to heat since its just the type of pain most people are used to dealing with when their "back is sore."

Believe me though.. nerve pain is a whole other echelon of discomfort.
yea and hopefully i only have to "believe" you during my life haha
      05-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I have the same thing. Had it since I was 19 and Im 30 now. I have to stretch about 30 mins a day to prevent the pain. I lay on the ground with my hands down and push my upper body up with my legs flat. Another great one is face down get on your elbows and get in a plank position then release the tension in your abs. I get a good crack when I do that and seems to release the pain for a bit. But its a life thing...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #19
alpha325i
this chick >
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Do yourself a favor and do not let doctors just 'manage' your pain with opioids such as oxycontin. Trust me, I have been down that road. Once you start narcotic pain meds and get used to them, it will be the hardest thing you have ever done to get off. Doesn't matter if you have an addictive personality or not.

As some of the other posters mentioned, try rotating heat and cold and any kind of minor stretching or natural exercise. My upper back and neck has really been giving me trouble since my car wreck 2 months ago. I have been seeing a chiropractor twice a week and it really has helped. Also, you may be able to get some temporary relief from those electronic impulse pads combined with heat.

Good luck and best wishes!

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #20
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha325i View Post
Do yourself a favor and do not let doctors just 'manage' your pain with opioids such as oxycontin. Trust me, I have been down that road. Once you start narcotic pain meds and get used to them, it will be the hardest thing you have ever done to get off. Doesn't matter if you have an addictive personality or not.

As some of the other posters mentioned, try rotating heat and cold and any kind of minor stretching or natural exercise. My upper back and neck has really been giving me trouble since my car wreck 2 months ago. I have been seeing a chiropractor twice a week and it really has helped. Also, you may be able to get some temporary relief from those electronic impulse pads combined with heat.

Good luck and best wishes!
What does the chiropractor do for you? Does he adjust you? Is the chiro supposed to provide short term relief or some long term corrective process?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #21
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Chiropractor will only provide short term relief. You'll have to go constantly. Been through the chiropractor, pt, massage, biostats, acupuncture. I've got a compressed lumbar disc.

The only thing that made any bit of difference was yoga. But not initially. It wasn't until I found the right yoga teacher. The more traditional teachers accredited by whoever accredits them. No matter what you do, it will be an ongoing process. Theres no quick fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

I feel your pain man; at 25yo I have arthritis in C1-C7, and a mildly herniated disc at l2-l3 that isn't bad enough to warrant surgery, but bad enough that it can cause a helluva lot of pain at times. These injuries are a result of slipping off one of my F/A-18s when I was getting it ready for flight, fell approximately 12 feet and broke the fall with my head, and my spine absorbed pretty much all of the impact.

I went through 7 months of rehabilitation for my back and the best remedy for pain was core exercise, coupled with a TENS unit, ice and even heat. Heat WILL work but it will only help increase blood flow in the muscles and relax them, which tend to tighten up from immobility due to the back pain. However, you should only use heat after the inflammation has gone down, so ice for a couple days before you introduce heat.

Stretching daily helps, I always stretch in the morning and at night before bed. There are specific stretches I was taught in rehab that I do to keep my lower back pain free. A chiropractor will work wonders, but like everyone else said, you'll have to go multiple times. Oh, and if you get to a physical therapist, they can use ultrasound, which also works pretty well.

The worst thing you can do is stay immobile. I would get something like ibuprofen or naproxen to help with inflammation and pain, and ice the area 15-20 minutes per hour until the pain subsides, then do some mild stretching and walk around.