F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Did BMW NA block RWD wagons?
GetBMWParts

02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
I'm curious whether your daughter was happy about you giving her a wagon. Sure, it's a BMW and they love the badge, but I can't imagine most young girls being too excited about driving a wagon.
That's right, all women are shallow. All teenagers are shallow. Teenage girls are doubly shallow.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I see you've already been proven wrong here.
Yup. BMW could have sold about 4 cars here all with different options and colors.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Yup. BMW could have sold about 4 cars here all with different options and colors.
And with everyone on here, BMW couldn't have sold more than 158,199 cars! Oh wait, BMW sold 1.8 million cars in 2012.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
And with everyone on here, BMW couldn't have sold more than 158,199 cars! Oh wait, BMW sold 1.8 million cars in 2012.
Only 4 expressed serious interest in wagon. That usually means 2-3 sales I would guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #27
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

You have to remember that if you want the Touring you are a minority especially when the majority would choose an equivalent SUV model which is why sales are currently being driven by SUV models. Unfortunately it is the majority who are speaking the loudest and who are being heard.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
You have to remember that if you want the Touring you are a minority especially when the majority would choose an equivalent SUV model which is why sales are currently being driven by SUV models. Unfortunately it is the majority who are speaking the loudest and who are being heard.
So there's no hope for another M Coupe, is there?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #29
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
You're so easy to negotiate with! Just a few posts up it was just me as a potential customer, and now you're willing to go up to four!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #30
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

To take this one step further...the vast majority of BMW buyers buy right off the lot. Those who custom order are in the minority. Dealers will load up on whatever they feel will have the broadest appeal AND put the most margin in their pockets - (SAVs cater to both). Credit this fact with the continuing drop in the manual trans take rate.

The other very important thing to consider is marketing. Everyone thinks SUVs are cool and that AWD is a must to be "safe". Until someone starts spinning how great wagons are there will always be a small minority who get it on their own.

With the continued rise in fuel costs I anticipate that there WILL be a push towards wagons in the coming years. At least that's what my crystal ball tells me...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #31
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem144 View Post
I just want an F31 with a stick shift. xDrive or not xDrive. Even an X1 would be appealing with a stick shift.

Lame BMW is taking all the fun out of useful cars.
I would take an AT X1 over a MT X1.
I drove both, the AT just sounds way better with the farts during upshifts. I do love doing heel and toeing and shifting myself, but the transmission fitted in the X1 was just rubbish (it wouldn't allow you to go into gear above +/- 5000 rpm, taking all the heel and toe fun away.)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #32
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You're so easy to negotiate with! Just a few posts up it was just me as a potential customer, and now you're willing to go up to four!
There was so much interest that I lost track! They do/can look pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #33
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
Let's not forget that one of the most powerful (I can't say "one of the best" because I have not yet driven one) wagons available in the US today is the CTS-V, so Cadillac gets props for that alone.

I'm curious whether your daughter was happy about you giving her a wagon. Sure, it's a BMW and they love the badge, but I can't imagine most young girls being too excited about driving a wagon.
She and her friends love that wagon. She was, even when I first mentioned I was going to buy her a wagon, appreciative and thrilled from the start. Her friends were a bit negative about. Then they started going on their little road trips and beer keg pick-up runs, and all the other stuff they do and they have seen the light.

Now, they all want to ride around in her car b/c there isn't enough room in their cute little 1ers and 3er coupes and sedans. Apparently she stopped the world from coming to an abrupt end when she was able to help one of her girlfriends get her stuff out of "that asshole's" place all at once so she would "never have to go back there and deal with 'that asshole' again." LOL.

I have been more than vindicated in my decision. Although there really wasn't much of a decision. The owner of the BMW store and I belong to the same club and play tennis together most weekends, so when offered to sell me the wagon he'd intended to give to his boy, I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity. (His boy showed his ass by upbraiding his father for buying him a wagon and not a sedan, coupe or SUV, so he's still hoofing it. And quite frankly, I'd have done the same thing his father did. How dare some snot nosed 18 year old kid have the gall to be so unappreciative of $50K+ BMW, son or no son, Daddy don't play that way! If you're my child, you will accept what's given and be grateful. When my kids' sources of income are no longer my sources of income, they can thumb their noses at whatever they want.)

So, anyway, I got her a fully loaded to the gills 328i wagon (Black over oyster); the list on the thing was over $56K. The price was just way too good -- below $50K, not much below, but below. And she and her buddies could not be happier. The one thing I've noticed is that she keeps the thing incredibly free of clutter and debris. I don't know what she does with all that empty space; I don't know why she keeps it so immaculately clean. Her room was never that way. But, because I was a college kid once myself, I'm not sure I want to know; somethings are better left unsaid.. LOL.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
xDrive and 335i would be fine by me. xDrive + 4-banger = No Thanks
Agreed ! I was holding out hope for either a 335i or 335d wagon, but when it became obvious some months ago that the wagon would only be offered with AWD + 4 cylinder, my hopes were extinguished. So I ordered a 335i M Sport which I am very happy to be driving !

The additional weight of the wagon configuration (about 165 lbs.) + Xdrive (another 150 lbs.) will make the 328i Xdrive Touring rather sluggish compared to the 328i sedan. IMO, the new Touring really should have been offered in North America with a six cylinder, RWD.

Before this car is even introduced to NA, BMW has seriously limited its potential sales by only offering the one, underpowered configuration. How does this make sense ?
      02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #35
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
She and her friends love that wagon. She was, even when I first mentioned I was going to buy her a wagon, appreciative and thrilled from the start. Her friends were a bit negative about. Then they started going on their little road trips and beer keg pick-up runs, and all the other stuff they do and they have seen the light.

Now, they all want to ride around in her car b/c there isn't enough room in their cute little 1ers and 3er coupes and sedans. Apparently she stopped the world from coming to an abrupt end when she was able to help one of her girlfriends get her stuff out of "that asshole's" place all at once so she would "never have to go back there and deal with 'that asshole' again." LOL.

I have been more than vindicated in my decision. Although there really wasn't much of a decision. The owner of the BMW store and I belong to the same club and play tennis together most weekends, so when offered to sell me the wagon he'd intended to give to his boy, I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity. (His boy showed his ass by upbraiding his father for buying him a wagon and not a sedan, coupe or SUV, so he's still hoofing it. And quite frankly, I'd have done the same thing his father did. How dare some snot nosed 18 year old kid have the gall to be so unappreciative of $50K+ BMW, son or no son, Daddy don't play that way! If you're my child, you will accept what's given and be grateful. When my kids' sources of income are no longer my sources of income, they can thumb their noses at whatever they want.)

So, anyway, I got her a fully loaded to the gills 328i wagon (Black over oyster); the list on the thing was over $56K. The price was just way too good -- below $50K, not much below, but below. And she and her buddies could not be happier. The one thing I've noticed is that she keeps the thing incredibly free of clutter and debris. I don't know what she does with all that empty space; I don't know why she keeps it so immaculately clean. Her room was never that way. But, because I was a college kid once myself, I'm not sure I want to know; somethings are better left unsaid.. LOL.
Nicely done, dad! Sorry for asking such a personal question (that ynguldyn obviously took the wrong way), but I was curious how a young lady might feel about driving such a car that so few of us actually think are cool in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
So there's no hope for another M Coupe, is there?
Oh, dear God, let's hope not. That thing was just butt ugly, and I'm not even that fussy about what a car looks like. Hell, I even don't mind the looks of the 5GT or the X6. Now, don't confuse "don't mind" with liking, they are not the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #37
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

I'd buy an F31 with a manual + xDrive in a heartbeat. Motor not as important, but the slushbox is a dealbreaker.

I simply could never spend such a huge amount of cash to drive a slushbox.. let alone a sedan that looks like every other vehicle in the car park.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #38
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Oh, dear God, let's hope not. That thing was just butt ugly, and I'm not even that fussy about what a car looks like. Hell, I even don't mind the looks of the 5GT or the X6. Now, don't confuse "don't mind" with liking, they are not the same.
I bumped into the principal of one of the local stores last year and the topic of wagons came up. I lamented the fact that the F11 wasn't ever going to be in the cards for us. He tried to tell me just how great the 5GT was. According to him, it was everything you could ever want in a wagon and more. Then I asked just how many he's sold. The answer - 1. Since it had been introduced, he had sold only one single solitary 5GT - to a friend no less! Then I asked what he had previously averaged in E61 sales annually. As his head dropped, he answered "40 to 50". When I asked where he thought the sales had gone he said without hesitation Audi and Mercedes. BMWNA is painfully aware of the situation, but they're still hesitant to bring the wagons back. Audi has even dialed back their offerings. The market is prime for BMW to jump back in. Especially since they're so damn good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #39
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
I'm sure this has nothing at all to do with the fact that BMWNA does not market the tourings. And I am also sure said lack of marketing has nothing to do with the fact that X3's are significantly more profitable than a 3er touring.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #40
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT Alpinweiss

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
I'd buy an F31 with a manual + xDrive in a heartbeat. Motor not as important, but the slushbox is a dealbreaker.

I simply could never spend such a huge amount of cash to drive a slushbox.. let alone a sedan that looks like every other vehicle in the car park.
I'd buy an F31 with a manual and x-drive and 6 cylinder tomorrow, even though BMW would price such a beast absurdly upwards of $50K. On the sedans, it's ridiculous that they charge the same for the complex slushbox as they do for the simple manual. They make zillions of manuals for Europe. I will never buy any slushbox unless and until I become physically disabled -- and even then definitely never with a BMW 4-banger.

I don't understand the attraction for BMW trucks, or any other truck or "SAV".
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #41
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's right, all women are shallow. All teenagers are shallow. Teenage girls are doubly shallow.
My 21 yo daughter has had an 03 Passat Wagon VR6 all through high school and college and has enjoyed it a lot. Perfect size, lots of hauling room especially with the rear seats folded, heated seats, handles great, smooth ride on the interstate, small turning circle. She longs for a Mini in British green but would never buy one because it's just too impractical.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #42
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digtlartst View Post
I'd buy an F31 with a manual and x-drive and 6 cylinder tomorrow, even though BMW would price such a beast absurdly upwards of $50K. On the sedans, it's ridiculous that they charge the same for the complex slushbox as they do for the simple manual. They make zillions of manuals for Europe. I will never buy any slushbox unless and until I become physically disabled -- and even then definitely never with a BMW 4-banger.

I don't understand the attraction for BMW trucks, or any other truck or "SAV".
Have you tried the new 8-speed ZF used by BMW and Audi? I had the same position as you do until I tried it. Now I'm really not sure I'd give up something by losing the third pedal.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #43
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I bumped into the principal of one of the local stores last year and the topic of wagons came up. I lamented the fact that the F11 wasn't ever going to be in the cards for us. He tried to tell me just how great the 5GT was. According to him, it was everything you could ever want in a wagon and more. Then I asked just how many he's sold. The answer - 1. Since it had been introduced, he had sold only one single solitary 5GT - to a friend no less! Then I asked what he had previously averaged in E61 sales annually. As his head dropped, he answered "40 to 50". When I asked where he thought the sales had gone he said without hesitation Audi and Mercedes. BMWNA is painfully aware of the situation, but they're still hesitant to bring the wagons back. Audi has even dialed back their offerings. The market is prime for BMW to jump back in. Especially since they're so damn good.
It doesn't surprise me that the 5GT isn't flying off the lots. It's certainly not a beautiful car. it's just less ugly than that M Coupe was.

BMW can bring back all the station wagons they want as long as that M Coupe isn't one of them. My 2¢ .

(When did the cents symbol disappear from keyboards? It used to be "capital 6," which is now a caret symbol. And before it was "capital 6" it was to the right of the semi-colon, no shift required.)

Last edited by tony20009; 02-05-2013 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #44
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have you tried the new 8-speed ZF used by BMW and Audi? I had the same position as you do until I tried it. Now I'm really not sure I'd give up something by losing the third pedal.
Nope, I'm incorrigible -- I'm a motorcyclist. When driving a car, I enjoy freewheeling and engine braking and rowing the shifter on a smooth 6 with AWD. Three pedals or bust.
Appreciate 0