F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Honest John "Road Test" of the 330D Touring.
ARMA SPEED

10-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
andymj
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Honest John "Road Test" of the 330D Touring.

Rather a bland review if I do say so myself.

Nothing controversial, or enlightening ... http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tes...ing-road-test/
2012 BMW 330d .. gone
2009 MB C250 .. gone
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Why are all the 330D reviews the sodding Touring? I still haven't seen a 330D F30 review yet, even though that's the flagship of the range
      10-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Well it was not the M Sport, I drove the Demo 330D MS touring and it was outstanding, so Honest john can go f*** himself as regards review, most reviews are 5 minute drives anyway and almost always garbage feed-back.
      10-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I get nervous when the pictures are not of the car tested. Can't they be bothered to take some pics of the test car?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

All it says about performance:

Quote:
There’s 258PS available from the 3.0-litre straight-six and an impressive 560Nm of torque. It’s a little gruff when pushed hard but otherwise sounds subdued and hushed, helped by a silky smooth 8-speed automatic gearbox that provides swift acceleration. Getting from 0-62mph takes 5.6 seconds and the top speed is limited to 155mph.
Blimey, they make it sound like 0-62 in 5.6 secs to be "routine". No praise or mention for the fantastic performance.
Did they really drive the car, or did they re-write someone else's article as someone mentioned on here the other day.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
All it says about performance:

Blimey, they make it sound like 0-62 in 5.6 secs to be "routine". No praise or mention for the fantastic performance.
Did they really drive the car, or did they re-write someone else's article as someone mentioned on here the other day.
Well at least the writer thinks that it is OK for a 6 foot person to sit behind another 6 footer
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

The car pictured is the same one as was in last weeks "Autocar" review and looks like a manual four cylinder model.
The fact it talks so little about the performance of the car makes me suspicious as to whether they drove it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
The car pictured is the same one as was in last weeks "Autocar" review and looks like a manual four cylinder model.
The fact it talks so little about the performance of the car makes me suspicious as to whether they drove it.
Yep, trying to read the badge I make out 318D with standard iDrive screen even though he harps on about pro media nav.

I just love this bit "but particularly thrifty buyers will want the 320d, which offers lower VED bands without too much of a performance hit."
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Well at least the writer thinks that it is OK for a 6 foot person to sit behind another 6 footer
I can vouch for that, it's fine I tried it. Test drive one , the car is brilliant, these write ups are mainly copied from other write ups and not many get to drive the actual cars.
      10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

I can't believe Honest John actually drove this car. His language is too cold, detached and uninvolved. And a good proportion of the text amounts to stats lifted straight from brochures.

Is this possible? Do people do 'reviews' without driving the car in earnest?

As for his comments on the grunt, maybe he was towing a bus at the time and didn't realise.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I can vouch for that, it's fine I tried it. Test drive one , the car is brilliant, these write ups are mainly copied from other write ups and not many get to drive the actual cars.
Yeah I know I specifically bought the F30 because it can seat tall people in all the seats (maybe not the 5th seat), I'm 6 1 and can sit behind myself in comfort, but the other review (whatcar?)said it was tight in the back when a 6 2 person sits behind a 6 2 person.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
I can't believe Honest John actually drove this car. His language is too cold, detached and uninvolved. And a good proportion of the text amounts to stats lifted straight from brochures.

Is this possible? Do people do 'reviews' without driving the car in earnest?

As for his comments on the grunt, maybe he was towing a bus at the time and didn't realise.
Davey, my mate (nameless) works for a well known car magazine and he told me they do NOT drive half the cars they write about, just use stats and bits of other reviews. So it rubbish what they print.
      10-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Most of the first reviews are lightweight, always have been. So what do you guys expect, until full reviews, usually based on longer periods in the cars, come through?

I sense you are wanting rave reviews, and until they come, any comment that is average, or even a slight criticism is viewed as rubbish.

Honest John's report says:

Quote:
We drove a 330d in Luxury trim
Quote:
It’s a little gruff when pushed hard but otherwise sounds subdued and hushed, helped by a silky smooth 8-speed automatic gearbox
Quote:
At speed there’s barely any engine sound in the cabin, but tyre roar is apparent, as is a little wind noise.
Quote:
It’s fair to say that the BMW 330d Touring is an impressive and accomplished car.
What is rubbish about those comments? Virtually every review of the F30 has echoed similar thoughts on tyre and wind noise, something that was my criticism of the F30 I drove. Far too loud for the premium sector. So do we expect the comments to be different for the touring? Likely not, as its on basically the same platform.

330d engines are gruff, that has been the case for years, so is that a poor observation.

I just don't know what you guys want to hear and read?

If the comments were 'gushing' and full of superlatives, it would be harder to believe, wouldn't it?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

What is rubbish about those comments?

HighlandPete
Well the early cars had wind noise problems, windscreen trim and door seals were the causes, now cured, I have driven two saloons and have the 328i luxury touring on loan and NO wind noises.
Engines are "GRUFF" now IMO thats boll*cks.
Yes Can be heard on start up "diesel sound" once going no problem.
      10-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Well the early cars had wind noise problems, windscreen trim and door seals were the causes, now cured, I have driven two saloons and have the 328i luxury touring on loan and NO wind noises.

Engines are "GRUFF" now IMO thats boll*cks.
Yes Can be heard on start up "diesel sound" once going no problem.
Perhaps the wind noise ISN'T fully cured... that is a possibility. Tyre noise is definitely intrusive, very common complaint of the F30.

If you have found the BMW diesels aren't gruff, then you are in a different universe than me, I've never driven any 3.0d that isn't displaying typical diesel characteristics. They may be the best diesel engines out there, but diesel they still are, albeit they improve with each generation.

Perhaps we view engine refinement and the aural sounds in a different way.

I'm not criticising the diesel, as I am a diesel man at heart, (45-years of experience with diesel) but no way can they yet compare to the sweet, virtually vibration free petrol six. I back to back tested the F10 530d and 535i and there is no comparison on refinement. The 535i is still streets ahead on engine NVH.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I just don't know what you guys want to hear and read?
The reviews I read when the F30 first came out were "best in class" and "the benchmark" etc.
Seems with the 330d reviews they write as if its "just another 3 series" but with a more powerful engine.

I think it would be safe to say the 3 series is one of the finest cars in the world in many aspects and the 330d engine has to be just about the best diesel engine in the world at present for performance and economy. And then they write these mediocre reviews? Anyone reading these kind of reviews wouldn't be exactly compelled to go out and buy one. Yes I don't doubt it is not perfect - no car is - but you would expect a more engaging and enthusiastic review of a virtually £40K car that is allegedly "best in class".

I accept these reviewers may be not be a fan of BMW of course, so you would not get such a great review if this was the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Dude. Seriously? Calling the new BMW diesels gruff is just being crass. It's a diesel. Saying it's a bit gruff compared to a petrol is nonsense and like saying that the clouds are a bit white compared to the sky. Besides, Direct Injection petrols sound every bit as gruff as a diesel nowadays. The new 30D is one of the very finest diesel engines I have ever heard and sounds way better than most petrol engines. is it as subtle as the equivalent 3 litre petrol from BMW? Of course not! But calling it gruff ... it's like saying that a really pretty girl is gruff compared to a supermodel or something
      10-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Anyway, the E60 M5 sounded very gruff on idle (as mentioned by Mr Clarkson himself) if I recall
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol, some talk as if 'gruff' is a bad thing, I love a bit of gruff myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps the wind noise ISN'T fully cured... that is a possibility. Tyre noise is definitely intrusive, very common complaint of the F30.

If you have found the BMW diesels aren't gruff, then you are in a different universe than me, I've never driven any 3.0d that isn't displaying typical diesel characteristics. They may be the best diesel engines out there, but diesel they still are, albeit they improve with each generation.

Perhaps we view engine refinement and the aural sounds in a different way.

I'm not criticising the diesel, as I am a diesel man at heart, (45-years of experience with diesel) but no way can they yet compare to the sweet, virtually vibration free petrol six. I back to back tested the F10 530d and 535i and there is no comparison on refinement. The 535i is still streets ahead on engine NVH.

HighlandPete
like I said I am driving the touring 328i and wind / tyre noise is very low indeed, obviously engine noise is low also, but going by my 335D M Sport engine it's no way gruff or intrusive but I get were your coming from with it's "Sound", prohaps we are at slightly X purposes on this
Ether way I am longing to get mine, it went into build today so 4 weeks maximum to wait now.
      10-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Lol, some talk as if 'gruff' is a bad thing, I love a bit of gruff myself.
so do I when I can get it.
      10-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
My last two were gruff, now I'm enjoying some smooth...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0