F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Heated Steering Wheel Function Retrofit discussion and sharing
GetBMWParts

02-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #133
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny88 View Post
My brand new m3 wheel is the Same. I can confirm my car has come with a heated wheel from factory but doesn't have the button or cowling. It has never been changed either. Very strange! Just a case of the switch, cowling and coding. Although I'm fitting the new m3 one anyway. So now I've got a heated m sport wheel for sale haha
Vinny, does the vibrate work on your existing wheel? If it does then the supplies are all good.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #134
vinny88
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335D Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Vinny, does the vibrate work on your existing wheel? If it does then the supplies are all good.
Hi mate. Yes it had vibro/lane assist already installed and working from factory. Plugged everything in last night and fitted the m3 wheel. Just waiting for my lead and esys then I'll activate it(code it). Can't believe it came with a heated wheel but no cowling/button. The guy I got it off who bought it new did say it wasn't an option when he bought it which is weird (registered 31/03/15).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:09 AM   #135
TeaAndBiscuits
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325D F30 M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
No, even if you buy an SZL with heater/vibrate supply pins fitted (only 1 replacement SZL is listed and it has all functions fitted) you still won't have the 12v supply wired to the SZL. But you will avoid messing with the airbag socket wheel side.

SZL is very expensive however..
Ah I see.. I was looking at this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-BMW-3...kAAOSwKgdac2dr

As could get the lower trim with button etc at the same time so it's all there. So I guess it'd just be one cable i'd need to do, maybe even I could manage that, with the assumption that the SZL is 'plug and play' and easy to fit (4 screws it looks like)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #136
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAndBiscuits View Post
Ah I see.. I was looking at this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-BMW-3...kAAOSwKgdac2dr

As could get the lower trim with button etc at the same time so it's all there. So I guess it'd just be one cable i'd need to do, maybe even I could manage that, with the assumption that the SZL is 'plug and play' and easy to fit (4 screws it looks like)
Yes but look how many SZL variants there are for your car, is the ebay one the right one??

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_5559
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #137
TeaAndBiscuits
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like this one is the one for my car;

It's then got yes to steering heater & rain sensor, and no to everything else.

The ebay listing is
Part number: 9351143

In theory I guess it'd work... Risky though lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #138
doughboy
Major General
Rep

You'd need to code in the new SZL too if it is a different version.

Could be the right one, part ending 1143 doesn't have high beam assist, which is an extra button on the left stalk, that's the only physical difference.

1143 seems to cover all other variations without HBA.

Could try it and maybe sell it yourself if it doesn't work? For £150 it will save all the airbag messing and making up leads.

I got my 12V into the SZL from the ciggy lighter under the armrest. Hid the wires under the tunnel side trim. Much easier than try to get it from the main 12v distribution on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #139
TeaAndBiscuits
Private First Class
Rep

I'll take a punt on it mate, like you say can always sell it if it doesn't work, and for the sake of not doing the airbag wiring / lead making.

So if we assume it all worked and plugged in, this is what I have;

The control unit on the left of the pic has two black connectors and two white connectors, where would they go? ( I think one might be for vibrate function which I do not have/need)

Also not sure what the blue cable is for? Is that the 12v cable? That I could connect to the power of the cigarette lighter like you did?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:21 AM   #140
doughboy
Major General
Rep

The control module in that picture is for heat and vibrate, I don't know if you can't use that if you don't have vibrate as you'll have to code for the specific module with the right options or you'll get errors.

The large white connector goes to the wheel heater. The small one is for the vibrate motor. If you have the correct controller for heater only then it would only have 1 white connector.

The large black connector goes into the wheel power socket (when you have SZL with heater power). The small black connector is the for the LIN control network (single wire) which is already in your wheel as the multifunction buttons use the LIN network too. There will be a piggy back LIN socket in the wheel wiring that you connect this small black plug into.

The LIN network is what the car uses to control all these little modules all over the place.

There is a another small loom needed for the wheel specific to heating / vibrate, but I can't see if it is in the wheel that you have:

Item 5 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_2161

Not sure about the blue wire.

Last edited by doughboy; 03-01-2018 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
dholdi259.00
      03-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #141
TeaAndBiscuits
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks mate,
The control unit has a part number of 61317849393 not sure about vibrate hopefully it can be coded out (!)

As for item 5, I did see this wire in the steering wheel (which was not connected to anything)

Excuse the poor photoshop arrow

When I swapped my wheel yesterday, I looked at my existing SZL and it seemed to have 2 pins in the socket at 5 o clock, could it be the wiring is already there? Would be bizarre...

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:57 AM   #142
doughboy
Major General
Rep

That connector is the actual heater element plug, the large white connector from the heater controller connects to that.

You need another mini loom, it connects the multifunction buttons to the SZL too so as your wheel has MF buttons you will need that loom (might be in your existing wheel, is that MF wheel?), but the loom needs to be specific for heater / vibrate etc.

Real oem lists one controller for all the functions, so that seems to suggest it will work OK regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #143
TeaAndBiscuits
Private First Class
Rep

Hmmm, I am at that crossroads really, I have not spent the £150 on the lower cowling/heater button.

That controller came with the wheel so I am guessing it came from a car with vibrate function also.

Regarding the mini loom, it's a MF wheel, I remember it was a black connector that plugged in next to the airbag connector, but as you say i'll need one that supports heating function.

At this moment I am wondering whether to just bail out and sell the controller and then put the money towards something different like some Depo lights or upgrading the CIC Pro to the NBT instead :/
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:08 AM   #144
doughboy
Major General
Rep

The small loom isn't much, £30 or something?

Just depends how much you want a heated wheel!

I spent a lot on mine, but I'll be selling it all before the car goes, so hopefully recoup some of it...but not the time!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:12 AM   #145
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Just seen your SZL picture above, yes you have the power pins in the SZL which is great. So either you have power there or not. Either way you don't need the new SZL.

You need to put the ignition on and see if 12v appears there, but if you do that with the airbag off you'll get loads of check codes up which need ISTA to clear.

Better put it all back together, reconnect the battery (I take it you have disconnected the battery -ve lead?) and put ignition on then measure if 12V is between those two pins (carefully without shorting them).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #146
Hawko
Private
Rep
Drives: F36 435D 2019

Hi Guys
I've been following this thread as I have a heated wheel and so decided to have a look at whats already behind he wheel on the car. I got the old wheel off today and decided to swap it out ready for enabling the heating even if I have to finish it later.

So I have all the original controls and paddles on the new wheel and the new control module connected (for vibe and heating, but I understand from real oem this is OK as the module does not have to vibe connected). I know I need to get power to the control module somehow (spare pins on airbag connector).

My question which may have been answered above is where do I connect the single black wire (LIM wire) on the control module? Do I need the new mini loom mentioned above?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #147
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hi,

Yes the mini loom with heating has an extra connector for the heater control LIN wire.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #148
Hawko
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply

I have done a bit more investigation, because I already have the MF steering wheel the wiring has a LIN connection already. I just don't have a spare connector on the wiring

As TeandBiscuits above I have the blue wire that connects to the LIN wire on the control module. I have spliced this to the LIN wiring at one of connectors.

I now need to get power to the SZL.

Where can you buy the connector that fits the 4 way power connector on the control module please?
I have ordered some leads for the airbag connector but need the power connector socket and pins to fit.

I also need to make up a lead for connecting the heater button to the SZL as my button didn't have one. The SZL pins are all the same size, but the button pins are smaller, been trying to find part numbers but struggling.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #149
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hawko,

Take a look at post 117, that also refers back to post 23.

The 4 way connector plug that fits the black power connector on the heater controller is a bmw spare part. They are tyco MQS connectors.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #150
Hawko
Private
Rep

Thanks Doughboy

I missed that post - I thought I'd read through them all as well!

Ordering up these and some sockets to make up the button to SZL lead.

Haven't looked but does anybody know what type of connectors are used at the JBE.

Thanks yet again
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:20 AM   #151
doughboy
Major General
Rep

I did look into the JBE and I think its the same sockets, depends on the connection point, but it's a minefield and on a 6 series it's almost impossible to get through the center console as its so wide and densely packed with stuff.

I picked up the 12v from the ciggy lighter in the armrest and hid the wires behind the side trim. This 12v is an ignition switched 12v with a delay on off. Works just great.

Although when coding I had to set the "remember heater on" timer to 0mins (this timer automatically puts the wheel heater back on if it was on when you last switched the car off within the time setting, 10 mins default I think) or else I kept getting heater supply fail errors. (it monitors everything, even wheel heater supply and if it's not there exactly when it expects it it gives errors and shuts down the heating until you clear the error with ISTA).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #152
Hawko
Private
Rep

Hi Doughboy

Sorry need your help again. Are you sure of the part number for the link to the socket in post 117. I have ordered this but as you can see below this is a much larger socket that comes with spade connectors.

A little puzzled now

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #153
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Hi Hawko,

I'm sorry about that. Too many parts. I've chucked all the part lists and bags away since I did mine.

You need a 4 pin male plug, I can only think it's this one:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...80#61136925611

Item 5 and order the associated 0.75sqmm contact pins with wire listed underneath.

I bought a few wrong parts along the way i'm just sorry I didn't keep a proper list to help out other folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #154
Hawko
Private
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply Doughboy

That one looks like it. I have done the same in ordering pins and sockets, pins with leads on etc should have enough to rewire half the car!

I'll see if i can work out what i have used and make a list

Still haven't worked out where i'm going to get power from. I'm confused between what is JBE and FEM and where they are. I gather FEM is in the drivers footwell behind the right hand trim, is JBE the rear fuse box?

Thanks
Appreciate 0