F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > A/C Recharge F30
GetBMWParts

05-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
dcarter199209
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i AH3 MSport

A/C Recharge F30

Has anyone done a DIY A/C Recharge on an F30. I have an 2013 activehybrid 3 that is blowing extremely warm air out the passenger vents and cool/warm air out the driver-side vents.

I read that a recharge may just need to take place. I bought a can of the R134a and realized that the adapter to go on the Low Side hose didn't fit... Is there a special hose needed for these cars?

Has anyone had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

New BMWs are very sensitive to over-fills of the a/c system; you need to measure pressure on both sides of the compressor while filling to get the correct fill.

Also, you should ask yourself: "why do I need a recharge?" If you really do, then you've got a leak and are just wasting money.

You also need to add the correct amount of PAO lubricant (if you have a leak) so that the compressor doesn't seize up.

The differing temps on each side indicate either a controller failure, or that one of the evaporators has failed (leaked.)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
dcarter199209
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i AH3 MSport

Thanks for the info. I can't figure it out, I try and do most of the work on this car myself. But this seems like an issue I need to get the shop to handle... Although I am out of warranty so I'm sure they will be charging me a pretty little penny.

I was told that the blend doors could have gone bad, but that didn't make sense to me because when temperatures aren't hot outside the A/C will blow ice cold.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter199209 View Post
Thanks for the info. I can't figure it out, I try and do most of the work on this car myself. But this seems like an issue I need to get the shop to handle... Although I am out of warranty so I'm sure they will be charging me a pretty little penny.

I was told that the blend doors could have gone bad, but that didn't make sense to me because when temperatures aren't hot outside the A/C will blow ice cold.
This is one reason having a BavarianTechnic, Carley or other BMW-specific OBD reader is important - you can diagnose the A/C system using them.

Blend doors or controller would be my guess. But it could be low on refrigerant if it's not always ice-cold. Could also be the fan if it's cold at speed but warm when stopped.
Appreciate 0