F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Test drive the IS F?
ARMA SPEED

02-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Cl0ud7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I also see your post as brand snobbery. You feel the need to comment on the UAW yet BMW in Germany is unionized. BMW also owns the Mini brand and the rumor is that the new FWD BMW 2 series will be based on a Mini chassis. Ultimately who cares what chassis a car is on or who builds it as long as the car drives well? According to nearly every review not just CD, the ATS drives great. By the way, as far as I can tell, the Alpha chassis is currently exclusive to the ATS and was developed for that car.
I'm pretty sure the Alpha chassis will be used on the next-gen Camaro ....So, elusive until the next-gen Camaro comes out
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
So you haven't actually driven an ATS, then? I suspect your opinion is worth no more than mine, but I base mine on past experience with GM and other brands I won't ever buy again. Not to say I won't drive them - sometimes car rental agencies don't give you much of a choice. Who cares what chassis a car is on or who builds it as long as the car "drives well"? Probably people who view cars as transportation devices, a category I'll never fall into. And it's going to be the new FWD 1 series that's based on mini underpinnings, while the current 1-series will become the 2-series. Nonetheless, I stand by what I said. If the OP wants something else to substitute for his BMW in bad weather conditions, great - just don't expect it to be a BMW. It's hard to tell a Chevrolet from a Buick from a Cadillac these days, but none of them is a Ford or Chrysler, either.
All we do here is give our opinions so you are right that mine is worth no more or less than yours. That's more than fair to say.

I think you can say nearly everyone has bad experiences with one or more brands. I had an auto tranny on a Honda Accord blow at 50K miles which cost me $2500.00 in 1999 and that's after I elevated the issue to get Honda to pay half. Very disappointing. An Audi I owned had numerous electrical issues and after being on this and another BMW forum, our brand can have less than stellar reliability. My 2 E90's have been utterly reliable as was the 2006 CTS I owned minus a recurring alignment issue that the dealer paid to fix out of warranty. And if you can't tell a Chevy from a Cadillac, you are not trying or you are taking artistic license.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #25
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
So you haven't actually driven an ATS, then? I suspect your opinion is worth no more than mine, but I base mine on past experience with GM and other brands I won't ever buy again. Not to say I won't drive them - sometimes car rental agencies don't give you much of a choice. Who cares what chassis a car is on or who builds it as long as the car "drives well"? Probably people who view cars as transportation devices, a category I'll never fall into. And it's going to be the new FWD 1 series that's based on mini underpinnings, while the current 1-series will become the 2-series. Nonetheless, I stand by what I said. If the OP wants something else to substitute for his BMW in bad weather conditions, great - just don't expect it to be a BMW. It's hard to tell a Chevrolet from a Buick from a Cadillac these days, but none of them is a Ford or Chrysler, either.

I'd venture to guess that this past experience is from 10+ years ago. Am I correct? All of the domestics have made unimaginable strides in the last 5-7 years. There's more differentiation between internal brands than there has been in decades. They're obviously saddled by their sins of the past, but it would appear they've learned their lesson. But I'm not naive enough to think that just because the world has changed that opinions will follow suit.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #26
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I'd venture to guess that this past experience is from 10+ years ago. Am I correct? All of the domestics have made unimaginable strides in the last 5-7 years. There's more differentiation between internal brands than there has been in decades. They're obviously saddled by their sins of the past, but it would appear they've learned their lesson. But I'm not naive enough to think that just because the world has changed that opinions will follow suit.
+1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #27
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Test drove the 2013 IS F.
Horsepower, torque, and handling all come on too easy. And, the exhaust bark is very AMG like.
Maybe a good daily driver alternate to the F30 335i?...any thoughts ?
Nope, 335i all the way...even slightly tuned the car is an animal...Its also got nearly a 200lb weight advantage over the ISF so whp might be a wash but the 335i has so much more torque.. Once the F30 N55 BMS Stage 2 tune is released with additional performance maps it wont even be a race between the two..

ISF
3780lbs (All Auto)
~360whp ~350wtq (Stock)

F30 335i
BMS Stage 1 tune (~400$)
Downpipe (~500$)
3594lbs (Auto)
~340whp ~400wtq (Tune+DP)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #28
Joshhleee
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F30, '15 x5 5.0, '15 M4,M5

I have an 2010 ISF with full bolt ons, except headers. The car is an absolute beast, I switch between the F and the f30, and I can say that it feels like the f30 has low end torque and the F has high end torque. Driving in the city with the f30 is fun cause throttle response and after the jb tune, its just a monster going from like 20-60, but once you pass like 4k rpm the car doesn't seem to pull that hard, but the F starts to really open up at 4k rpm and starts pulling hard I drove to Santa Barbara this past weekend averaging 80-100 and I averaged 26 mpg which is pretty good for a 5.0 v8, but when I drive in the city I average about 15, LOL. Got a heavy foot (cause the exhaust ) The ISF is def a head turner though! Oh yeah, and I haven't had a single problem or people on the F forums don't seem to have any major problems up to 100k.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #29
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhleee View Post
I have an 2010 ISF with full bolt ons, except headers. The car is an absolute beast, I switch between the F and the f30, and I can say that it feels like the f30 has low end torque and the F has high end torque. Driving in the city with the f30 is fun cause throttle response and after the jb tune, its just a monster going from like 20-60, but once you pass like 4k rpm the car doesn't seem to pull that hard, but the F starts to really open up at 4k rpm and starts pulling hard I drove to Santa Barbara this past weekend averaging 80-100 and I averaged 26 mpg which is pretty good for a 5.0 v8, but when I drive in the city I average about 15, LOL. Got a heavy foot (cause the exhaust ) The ISF is def a head turner though! Oh yeah, and I haven't had a single problem or people on the F forums don't seem to have any major problems up to 100k.
I'm glad BMW's 2.0 turbo i4 has comparable performance to Lexus's 5.0 V8 with Full Boltons.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #30
Joshhleee
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F30, '15 x5 5.0, '15 M4,M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I'm glad BMW's 2.0 turbo i4 has comparable performance to Lexus's 5.0 V8 with Full Boltons.
no doubt bmw knows how to make performance cars haha, lexus needs to step it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #31
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
BMW also own Rolls Royce. Does that make a RR a BMW, or is a BMW a RR?
Thing is, RR was born decades before BMW took them over.
Lexus was created by Toyota.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #32
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
If you don't mind driving a high-priced Toyota, sure, go ahead. Same with a Cadillac ATS or any one of the other BMW wannabes. You could also get a Mustang or Camaro or Charger/Challenter, for that matter. One thing for sure - none of them is a BMW.
Its comments like these that give the general population the perception that all BMW drivers are pricks.

Simply because BMW choses to maintain a relatively narrow product offering that caters to the luxury/Sport enthusiast does not mean that other manufacturers that have broader product offering are inferior.

Sure, I have my biases and preferences, but (a) I keep them to myself, and (b) I don't make broad generalizations based on them.

It seems there is only one "wannabe" here (and I'm not referring to an auto manufacturer).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #33
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Guess these guys are more credible saying things about the cars, all (ex)-superGT drivers and the driftking himself.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Whitetintedwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Its comments like these that give the general population the perception that all BMW drivers are pricks.

Simply because BMW choses to maintain a relatively narrow product offering that caters to the luxury/Sport enthusiast does not mean that other manufacturers that have broader product offering are inferior.

Sure, I have my biases and preferences, but (a) I keep them to myself, and (b) I don't make broad generalizations based on them.

It seems there is only one "wannabe" here (and I'm not referring to an auto manufacturer).
+1
Not to mention that BMW will be making a hybrid car with Toyota going forward. So if BMW chooses Toyota to be a partner than this tells you something about Toyota engineering.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Thing is, RR was born decades before BMW took them over.
Lexus was created by Toyota.
That's true, but the chassis on the 5, 7 and RR Ghost is the same chassis. It was designed with the intention of its being shared among the three cars. So does that make the BMW a RR or the RR a BMW?

Someone above said that (for them or a friend of theirs -- I don't recall which exactly) a car is effectively whatever is the name of the parent company. so I guess for them the RR is a BMW. But the chassis first appeared in the 7er, so I guess that makes the RR a BMW.

It doesn't matter really which way one goes on the matter. My point is still the same: sharing parts -- even major parts -- among sister brands does not make the cars simply rebranded variants of whatever one sees as the high-end or low end sister.

What difference does it make whether the relationship occurred via acquisition or via internal evolution. The end result is the same: they are sister car makers and they share parts between the brands. In the case of the RR, whereas you may never have thought of a RR as anything but an RR, or perhaps, if you remember the '80s, a Bentley with a bigger grill, applying some lines of argument above, an RR is now just a BMW. I personally, don't feel that way, but that's the point of the reasoning some folks have put forward, and I think its specious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post

+1

See there, it is possible to be both biased and respectful at the same time.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #37
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I personally, don't feel that way, but that's the point of the reasoning some folks have put forward, and I think its specious.
I too agree, but my main point was to show that RR was its own name and brand before BMW took over. The RR name and brand still sticks like glue to RR, even though it has many BMW components, an almost guaranteed outcome when one brand buys out another.

On the Lexus' hand, being invented by Toyota, has a Toyota mindset from the very beginning. No way out of it and although Lexus has been known as Lexus, it is widely known as Toyota Lexus, a stigma that will never come unstuck, even if Lexus becomes a wholly independent company of its own.

Lamborghini has always been known as that, even when owned by Chrysler, and others, including Audi. Anyway, who would dare call a Lamborghini an Audi?

Lexus' roots are Toyota, RR's roots are RR from day 1. So, to answer your initial question, RR is RR, Lexus is Toyota.

Glad you agree. Cheers.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #38
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

The thing with Lexus is, you are paying for Toyota quality in the price, and Toyota weight in the performance areas. So they are going to run pricier for the performance equivalent, or offer a lower level of performance for the $.
Appreciate 0