F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Question about the ISOFIX points?
GetBMWParts

02-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Never had a problem with headrests with kids seats. I've specced the interior comfort pack so the rear headrests fold.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
Why do you remove the headrests to fit a rear facing seat?
Just for symmetry and to improve visibility. I have one rear, and one forward facing seat. Plus it won't hurt to save a few pounds of weight back there
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

I think the f31 comes with split folding rear seats as standard and the f30 doesn't. Am I right?

We have a maxi cosi family fix base which worked fine on the tester f31 we had (rear facing). There were plastic caps over the fixing points.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
I think the f31 comes with split folding rear seats as standard and the f30 doesn't. Am I right?
Seats split as standard on the F31. I believe it's an option on the F30.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #27
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post

We have a maxi cosi family fix base which worked fine on the tester f31 we had (rear facing). There were plastic caps over the fixing points.
We also have the familyfix base and have used it with the Pebble Group 0 car seat and now the forward facing Pearl Group 1 car seat. As Isofix systems go I can say the Maxi Cosi seems to work best.

It is the plastic fixing point covers that would have sold the folding seats to me, another option that isn't really explained. I don't really need to fold the back seats down so didn't bother adding it but had I known about those covers...

On a slightly subject, make sure your pushchair fits in the boot. We have the Bugaboo Donkey which doesn't fit into the boot opening. Well, it may do with a bit of force and scratched paintwork but I'm not trying that. This may only be a problem as it's a double pushchair but worth checking just in case
      02-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #28
gavmobile
Rep
Drives: V70 D5

Anyone know how much space is left in the middle with TWO isofix seats attached? One forward facing with straps, the other a booster seat arrangement?

My guess is that they'll almost touch? That might not go down too well with wife and kids and she occasionally has to hop in there to keep them happy.

I havent bought the booster seat yet as we use the popup booster seat in the Volvo, which isn't great but does leave plenty of room. I'll just have to see if I can find a narrower seat that still has side protection.

I really should have tried the car out for size in the back but seeing as I'd already deemed a 5 too big, didn't want another Volvo or Audi or Merc or an SUV, I didn't have much choice other than the F31.

I did try out the boot for the buggy though and our Phil & Teds Vibe fits. Just.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #29
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavmobile View Post
Anyone know how much space is left in the middle with TWO isofix seats attached? One forward facing with straps, the other a booster seat arrangement?

My guess is that they'll almost touch? That might not go down too well with wife and kids and she occasionally has to hop in there to keep them happy.
I'm not sure if you can see properly from this photo but this is how our two car seats go together. Although there's a gap in between it's not a lot and certainly not a seat for anyone to sit in!
Attached Images

02-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #30
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
We also have the familyfix base and have used it with the Pebble Group 0 car seat and now the forward facing Pearl Group 1 car seat. As Isofix systems go I can say the Maxi Cosi seems to work best.

It is the plastic fixing point covers that would have sold the folding seats to me, another option that isn't really explained. I don't really need to fold the back seats down so didn't bother adding it but had I known about those covers...

On a slightly subject, make sure your pushchair fits in the boot. We have the Bugaboo Donkey which doesn't fit into the boot opening. Well, it may do with a bit of force and scratched paintwork but I'm not trying that. This may only be a problem as it's a double pushchair but worth checking just in case
I also have familyfix with pebble seat and will have the non-folding seats in my F30 also. Glad it's worked out okay for you which gives me reassurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #31
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can see properly from this photo but this is how our two car seats go together. Although there's a gap in between it's not a lot and certainly not a seat for anyone to sit in!
What are those car seat covers under the child seats? Might get one for my F30. How much are they and where can I get them from?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:26 AM   #32
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5iv3 View Post
What are those car seat covers under the child seats? Might get one for my F30. How much are they and where can I get them from?
The seat covers are these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're quite sturdy and do protect the seats from the weight of the seats and any accidental spillages. Extra peace of mind for me if nothing else
      02-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #33
Johnny5iv3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The seat covers are these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're quite sturdy and do protect the seats from the weight of the seats and any accidental spillages. Extra peace of mind for me if nothing else
Cheers pal.

Will get one of those mats when I buy one of these to go in my F30 http://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/gb-en/pro...-car-seat.aspx I've seen it in the shops and looks really good, no need to climb into the car to put your kid in any more!

We currently use the Pebble with familyfix so will buy a Pearl to go in the wifes 3 door golf.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #34
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5iv3 View Post
I also have familyfix with pebble seat and will have the non-folding seats in my F30 also. Glad it's worked out okay for you which gives me reassurance.
The familyfix is great. You probably already know, but I found that if you extend the yellow fixing arms to the maximum before you put the seat in it makes it a lot easier and once it clicks in, you just keep pushing and it takes up the slack till the base is right back to the seat
      02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #35
gavmobile
Rep
Drives: V70 D5

Quote:

Many thanks for the picture. It looks like I'm going have to explain to the boss (again) why it is I didn't order her a Q5. Damn BMW wheel arches and near perfect weight distribution
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #36
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Think yourself lucky. I'm hunting for cars SWMBO is happy with and can fit three child seats in a row.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #37
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068
Think yourself lucky. I'm hunting for cars SWMBO is happy with and can fit three child seats in a row.
I feel that pain. Now our third in as many years is on the way I've been looking at our options for three isofix seats in a row. I don't think Mrs B thinks she should suffer alone in this
      02-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #38
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Now our third in as many years is on the way...
You need to get a TV mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #39
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
You need to get a TV mate.
That's just it, we had only bought a new TV in the few weeks before Christmas

It is quite difficult sometimes to find out the number of Isofix points in a car. Reading through the brochures, Google and even phoning the dealerships can all prove fruitless. We found the best way was to narrow it down to a few possibilities and then just go out and have a look in the showroom for ourselves.

It's a tough job looking for a family mobile, you can't really blend functionality with style
      02-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #40
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Maxi Cosi site is good for finding out about Isofix in various cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #41
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Maxi Cosi site is good for finding out about Isofix in various cars.
Thanks for this, it does seem to be a good source of information.

When looking on there, it does seem to show that an Isofix seat can be fixed on the front passenger seat. Are there fixing points on the front seat then? I don't remember ever seeing anything that said there was so can anyone confirm this?
      02-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #42
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

Certainly no fixings on the front passenger seat. So there goes my recommendation of that site!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:23 AM   #43
Banksy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Some isofix seats can also be secured using a 3 point seat belt. We have fitted our maxi-cosi cabriofix this way in a car which didn't have the isoxfix points. This vid shows how it's done for this particular seat.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #44
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep

The CabrioFix isn't an Isofix seat ie it doesn't have Isofix fittings. It can be attached to an Isofix base though such as the EasyFix.
Appreciate 0