F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My impressions of 4 Series Gran Coupe from closed room preview at Belgium Auto Show
proTUNING Freaks

01-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
jasemsport
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E46 touring M-sport

Lightbulb My impressions of 4 Series Gran Coupe from closed room preview at Belgium Auto Show

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I saw it [4 Series Gran Coupe] today in the 'closed room' @ the car show in brussels. It's sleeker than the 3gt and looks very nice i admit, like it a lot. They did a pretty good job with that c-pillar and backseat room is not that bad, better than the mercedes cla i sat in... But i'm not a big person so most of those type cars are ok for me :-)

Oh yeah one more thing: it's a 5-door like the 3gt...

It's a good thing they did that tho, the boot is too short for a normal trunk imho. So it's not a baby 6gc...
I would prefer this over a 3gt wich is a little bulkier, for ppl who need space maybe better, for ppl who want looks, sleekness and sportier this is 'tha bomb' :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganxxta View Post
Thanks mate

Did they give a hint about a "unofficial" Internet reveal like they did with the 2?
The only thing i got out of them was the official release in Geneva in march... Offcourse some pics may leak in the coming month or so i predict. About price i thought it would be in between 4 coupe and convertible but one steward said it wouldn't be more then the coupe, not sure if i will believe that

It was also absolutely impossible to take pictures, in the room there was maybe 6 stewards that where constantly looking at the ppl to see if no one took there mobile out of the little pocket they gave us...

The car was in M-sport and Carbonschwarz, the car does have the need for M-sport i think, tho they should have chosen another color for display to show the lines better, maybe red or blue...

A nice touch was the inscription of 'gran coupe' at the 3rd window in the rear. The 3rd window also looks better then the spyshots and renders make you believe, it's more or less like the 3gt, i was hoping for that. In the renders you see more separation lines ( if you get what i mean).

Interior well, it's just a 4 coupe in the front, no surprise. The boot is actually bigger than i tought also, and better access with the 5th door.

mm what can i tell more... it just looked so dammn good with the frameless windows

Oh yeah, it's the normal wheelbase so not the long china version from the 3gt, but i guess this was already known?

All in all a nice car, and now you have 4 choices i you need 4 doors and not too big car:

3 sedan: 4 doors, well yeah you know the rest

3 touring: 5 doors and a big versatile boot to move things

3gt: 5 doors, longer wheelbase, more bootspace and legroom rear, higher seating position, a cruiser to go on holiday and some sportiness...

4gc: sleeker, smaller (hence sportier), wider, lower seating position and all the nice gimmicks from the coupe mix 3gt (frameless windows,etc...)

Also sat in the new 2 series, but i was a little bit dissapointed about it, was not the 'agressive' look ik expected from seeing pictures. I'm also interested if bmw really will make a gran coupe from this also, it's too small then i'm afraid...

This render is very accurate imho of how it looks!

Name:  BMW-4-Series-Gran-Coupe-IAB-Render.jpg
Views: 21981
Size:  156.6 KB

This is one render from the rear, it's pretty much like this, maybe trunk little shorter i'm not sure...

Name:  BMW-4-Series-Gran-Coupe-IAB-Render-rear.jpg
Views: 42543
Size:  158.6 KB

And also a render from the M4gc, close, maybe that trunk spolier won't make it tho...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasemsport View Post
I'll put this here too:
I saw it today in the 'closed room' @ the car show in brussels. It's sleeker than the 3gt and looks very nice i admit, like it a lot. They did a pretty good job with that c-pillar and backseat room is not that bad, better than the mercedes cla i sat in... But i'm not a big person so most of those type cars are ok for me :-)
It's a good thing they did that tho, the boot is too short for a normal trunk imho. So it's not a baby 6gc...
I would prefer this over a 3gt wich is a little bulkier, for ppl who need space maybe better, for ppl who want looks, sleekness and sportier this is 'tha bomb' :-)

Excellent! Thanks. You couldn't bribe someone over there and snap a few pics for your friends here?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Quote:
I'll put this here too:
I saw it today in the 'closed room' @ the car show in brussels. It's sleeker than the 3gt and looks very nice i admit, like it a lot. They did a pretty good job with that c-pillar and backseat room is not that bad, better than the mercedes cla i sat in... But i'm not a big person so most of those type cars are ok for me :-)
Thanks mate

Did they give a hint about a "unofficial" Internet reveal like they did with the 2?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Oh yeah, it's the normal wheelbase so not the long china version from the 3gt, but i guess this was already known?

This is great news! I'm very relieved they did not use the extended wheelbase. Jasemsport, you're awesome for posting all these updates since you have seen the car in the flesh! Greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
The only thing i got out of them was the official release in Geneva in march... Offcourse some pics may leak in the comming month or so i predict. About price i thought it would be in between 4 coupe and convertible but one steward said it wouldn't be more then the coupe, not sure if i will believe that

It was also absolutely impossible to take pictures, in the room there was maybe 6 stewards that where constantly looking at the ppl to see if no one took there mobile out of the little pocket they gave us...

The car was in M-sport and Carbonschwarz, the car does have the need for M-sport i think, tho they should have chosen another color for display to show the lines better, maybe red or blue...

A nice touch was the inscription of 'gran coupe' at the 3rd window in the rear. The 3rd window also looks better then the spyshots and renders make you believe, it's more or less like the 3gt, i was hoping for that. In the renders you see more separation lines ( if you get what i mean).

Interior well, it's just a 4 coupe in the front, no surprise. The boot is actually bigger than i tought also, and better access with the 5th door.

mm what can i tell more... it just looked so dammn good with the frameless windows

All in all a nice car, and now you have 4 choices i you need 4 doors and not too big car:

3 sedan: 4 doors, well yeah you know the rest

3 touring: 5 doors and a big versatile boot to move things

3gt: 5 doors, longer wheelbase, more bootspace and legroom rear, higher seating position, a cruiser to go on holiday and some sportiness...

4gc: sleeker, smaller (hence sportier), wider, lower seating position and all the nice gimmicks from the coupe mix 3gt (frameless windows,etc...)

Also sat in the new 2 series, but i was a little bit dissapointed about it, was not the 'agressive' look ik expected from seeing pictures. I'm also interested if bmw really will make a gran coupe from this also, it's too small then i'm afraid...
Great review, than you very much for sharing.

This car is definitely a front-runner to replace my AH3 in 1-1.5 years. I'm thinking it would be mighty fun with M-Performance suspension, and MPPK.

Looks like the 35i version will debut with the N55. I wonder if we should expect the B58 for the 2016 model year?

I am also very curious to see how the new Mineral Blue Metallic looks for this car. One thing that will be nice about the F36, BMW appears to offer a wider range of colors than the F2x or standard F30.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
jasemsport
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E46 touring M-sport

I'm honored that i'm able to post this here and had the privilege to see it. I was very nervous about it and ever since i've been dreaming about frameless windows and stuff, lol :-)

Don't they have those 'closed rooms' there in the us @ autoshows with scoops? I find it strange that we in belgium are among the first to see the car in the flesh... Haven't seen any other posts or word about it on the net :-/
But i guess it won't take long now that Jason comes with something.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
I'm honored that i'm able to post this here and had the privilege to see it. I was very nervous about it and ever since i've been dreaming about frameless windows and stuff, lol :-)

Don't they have those 'closed rooms' there in the us @ autoshows with scoops? I find it strange that we in belgium are among the first to see the car in the flesh... Haven't seen any other posts or word about it on the net :-/
But i guess it won't take long now that Jason comes with something.
If they do have these closed-door events in the US, I've certainly never been privileged enough to attend

Since I have two small kids, I've pretty much decided that a coupe is not a good fit. Of course I already knew that, having owned an E92 M3. Plus I hate the long doors of the coupe!

I am hoping the F36 will combine what I love about the my F30, with the more eye-catching styling of the coupe. I think I actually prefer the front/rear fascia of the M-sport F32/F36 over even the F80/F82! Looks more simple, yet aggressive on the non-M cars.

I've never owned a hatch or 5-door car, so that is intriguing to me. I realize it will be (relatively) pricey, but that will add a bit of exclusivity, I bet. I'm starting to see no-line F30s just pop up everywhere around Texas.

If it looks like that render, as you say, I have little doubt that it will be a hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
BelgiumsterlingZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 s-drive 28i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
Oh, you're killing me. I would have loved to the 4 series gran coupe'(!) but did not know to ask, and it was not offered.

Can you tell us more? One thing I would like to know is if a pop-up spoiler is standard like on the 3 GT?

Thanks (though I must admit I paused before typing that, as this is also disappointing news - still appreciate knowing)
I was at the Brussels autoshow along with my father,we also did not know that the 4 serie gran coupé would stand in brussel.
becausse my father is planning to buy the gran coupé he ask a salesman if he had been more information aboud the car.To our surprise he answered that the car was behind closed doors in a room behind us.
We had to wait a couple of hours but we could go te see the car with a group of thirty people at 15.00u.
At the first room we got a few glasses of champange a headphones and a small fabric white pouch with the tekst print on(for your eyes only)where we had to put our cell-phones in so that we could make no pictures of the car.
Then the car!!! very beautiful car!!!
The car on display was a saphirs black 420d with M-sport package on 19 inch 442 m sport rims and blue sport brakes.
Interior full dakota white,beige oyster and the sport seats.
But no pop up spoiler like on the 3 gt.
than the most inportant information!!!
car can be ordered in march for delivery June or Julie this year and now the best news in Belgium the price of the 4 serie gran coupé will be the same as the coupé
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgiumsterlingZ4 View Post
I was at the Brussels autoshow along with my father,we also did not know that the 4 serie gran coupé would stand in brussel.
becausse my father is planning to buy the gran coupé he ask a salesman if he had been more information aboud the car.To our surprise he answered that the car was behind closed doors in a room behind us.
We had to wait a couple of hours but we could go te see the car with a group of thirty people at 15.00u.
At the first room we got a few glasses of champange a headphones and a small fabric white pouch with the tekst print on(for your eyes only)where we had to put our cell-phones in so that we could make no pictures of the car.
Then the car!!! very beautiful car!!!
The car on display was a saphirs black 420d with M-sport package on 19 inch 442 m sport rims and blue sport brakes.
Interior full dakota white,beige oyster and the sport seats.
But no pop up spoiler like on the 3 gt.
than the most inportant information!!!
car can be ordered in march for delivery June or Julie this year and now the best news in Belgium the price of the 4 serie gran coupé will be the same as the coupé

I'm beginning to like you Belgian folks even more. Thanks so much for sharing this.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If they do have these closed-door events in the US, I've certainly never been privileged enough to attend

Since I have two small kids, I've pretty much decided that a coupe is not a good fit. Of course I already knew that, having owned an E92 M3. Plus I hate the long doors of the coupe!

I am hoping the F36 will combine what I love about the my F30, with the more eye-catching styling of the coupe. I think I actually prefer the front/rear fascia of the M-sport F32/F36 over even the F80/F82! Looks more simple, yet aggressive on the non-M cars.

I've never owned a hatch or 5-door car, so that is intriguing to me. I realize it will be (relatively) pricey, but that will add a bit of exclusivity, I bet. I'm starting to see no-line F30s just pop up everywhere around Texas.

If it looks like that render, as you say, I have little doubt that it will be a hit.

Ditto. My e92 M3 is for sale. Making room for the gran coupe. While I dig the whole coupe thing, the e92 has been a pain to live with, as an everyday driver. The gran coupe is a great compromise between a coupe design and sportiness, sedan versatility and hatchback utility. Need I say more?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
does anyone know if there are any plans to make an M4 Gran Coupe?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
ShahiniBmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC & 2017 x5

I like it ... More affordable than the 6 grand coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

Only rumors so far. No confirmed reports or camo cars spotted testing at this point. It would be sweet! My guess is they will make the decision at a later date, depending on the take rate of the 4 GC. A hatch back M4?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428 Gran Coupe

Was the liftgate motorized like the 3-series wagon? Love the "Close + Lock" button.
      01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #15
parksjm7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2002 Honda  [0.00]
Looks wise, im not a fan of the f30 generation cars however, I think an E90-generation gran coupe would have looked amazing, with pre-LCI front and LCI tails with a sloping back
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
rayg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

I love the idea of a hatch...the 4GC (at least in those renders) is no doubt better looking than the f30.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #17
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Looks good!

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #18
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
And also a render from the M4gc, close, maybe that trunk spolier won't make it tho...
Looks pretty good !
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #19
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

5-door confirmation. It's what @mkoesel and I have been saying all along.

For me, it's really unfortunate that this isn't a baby 6GC, though. I have no use for a hatchback. Whereas a baby 6GC (in M guise) would have been the perfect combination of the M3 and the M4.

Ah well.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #20
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Originally there was, but it's seeming increasingly unlikely at this point.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #21
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
So bad 4GC is not a baby version of 6GC.

- 5-door hatchback
- Rear door cut line
- To similiar to 3GT, just litle sleeker

This car sounds so disappointing.
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #22
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-ALPINA
So bad 4GC is not a baby version of 6GC.

- 5-door hatchback
- Rear door cut line
- To similiar to 3GT, just litle sleeker

This car sounds so disappointing.
Agreed. This should have been the 3er GT

Gran Coupe's should not have hatches
Appreciate 1