F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 'Standard' Sport mode seems faster...???
GetBMWParts

01-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Question 'Standard' Sport mode seems faster...???

Hi All.
I took my car out for a drive last night ( at midnight ) to get my average MPG down a bit and for some reason the car 'seemed' to be faster in regular sport mode???
What I mean is, just selecting the driving mode as Sport but NOT pushing the gear selector over to the left appeared faster - or at least just as rapid as pushing the gear lever to the left. Does that make sense?
The gear changes are definitely a lot more aggressive when pushed over to the left but other than that I'm not really sure what's happening???
Has anyone else experienced this or can someone please explain the differences to me?
TIA
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
matk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

I have the same thoughts on that one mate tbh
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matk View Post
I have the same thoughts on that one mate tbh
Hmmm
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Arwmjc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Hi All.
I took my car out for a drive last night ( at midnight ) to get my average MPG down a bit and for some reason the car 'seemed' to be faster in regular sport mode???
What I mean is, just selecting the driving mode as Sport but NOT pushing the gear selector over to the left appeared faster - or at least just as rapid as pushing the gear lever to the left. Does that make sense?
The gear changes are definitely a lot more aggressive when pushed over to the left but other than that I'm not really sure what's happening???
Has anyone else experienced this or can someone please explain the differences to me?
TIA
How high is ur mpg at moment?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwmjc View Post
How high is ur mpg at moment?
see my last post for mpg info...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Arwmjc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive on order

Quote:
see my last post for mpg info...
Yes cheers.... How is the brushed aluminum holding up?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
matk
Captain
Rep

I will test the theory now im going to tesco.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

selecting the Sport drive mode will increase your throttle sensitivity, making it seem as if your car is moving faster with less effort from the pedal. for example in sport, if you're pressing the gas 50% of the way, it will be like pressing it 100% in comfort mode.

The sport side of your transmission (moving the lever to the left) gives sporty characteristics to the transmission....meaning it will be in a lower gear and hold the gear longer. it doesnt have THAT much of an impact on your perception of the cars speed.
      01-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Yes it would be.. When you stick the car into Sport Mode (using the button) it opens up the throttle more, thus injecting more fuel and becomes more responsive.. It's like having the sports/power button on the M3's...

Sticking the Gear Lever to the left, that only allows the engine to rev higher before selecting a higher gear.. I find this mode very boring in comparison to the first one!

Whenever I decide to play, I select Sports Mode using the button..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Hi All.
TIA
I know I'm in a different car (535i optioned with SAT) but others have commented on a similar observation.

I'm in 'D' with chassis and drivetrain checked, toggle to sport mode and typically the 'box changes down one gear with higher rpm change points. Flick the stick to 'DS' and it down changes another gear with even higher change rpm.

Drive in 'D' (no sport mode) and flick the stick to 'DS' at similar speeds to above and there is the two gear down change.

So it appears there is a sort of "half way" gearbox sport mode on the toggle modes.

Is this what you are finding? Hence the feel of it being faster.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

In my view the throttle sensitivity can give a placebo feeling of being faster/slower. Hence why ECO-PRO is viewed as sluggish, although maximum power is still available in ECO-PRO.

Many have stated the same sort of feeling for the 'Sprint Booster' add-on throttle adaptor/mapping for older models. No extra power, but feels better.

Whereas gear selection will obviously change acceleration rates. Whatever the throttle feel, or actual movement required.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Could it be something to do with diesel engines? ie max torque on a 3.0 diesel is around 1500 to 3000 rpm, so by keeping the stick in "D" it will change up a gear sooner, if you flick it over to "DS" it revs higher before changing gear thus dropping off the torque, maybe it's the torque you're noticing as you accelerate?
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Yes it would be.. When you stick the car into Sport Mode (using the button) it opens up the throttle more, thus injecting more fuel and becomes more responsive.. It's like having the sports/power button on the M3's...

Sticking the Gear Lever to the left, that only allows the engine to rev higher before selecting a higher gear.. I find this mode very boring in comparison to the first one!

Whenever I decide to play, I select Sports Mode using the button..
Im on about pressing the Sport button AND pushing the gear shift to the left...I'm not quite sure if that makes the car any faster or just a placebo affect? It 'seems' faster by JUST selecting Sport? Does that make sense now?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Could it be something to do with diesel engines? ie max torque on a 3.0 diesel is around 1500 to 3000 rpm, so by keeping the stick in "D" it will change up a gear sooner, if you flick it over to "DS" it revs higher before changing gear thus dropping off the torque, maybe it's the torque you're noticing as you accelerate?
I'm not too sure to be honest d4springer??? I'm a beginner when it comes to this really so maybe it's just me
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
browellm
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. The power band for mapped for D seems better thought out than for DS.
F31 330d Luxury | Mineral White | Cohiba Brown Individual Leather | Prof Media | Vis pack | Sun Protection Glass | Harman Kardon | Adaptive Suspension | Sports Seats | Lumbar | Folding Mirrors | Comfort Pack | Heated Seats | Coded: EBT
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
matk
Captain
Rep

well I just got back, with the car in sports mode with ds selected it feels like there is more aggressive change through the gears but I think it does feel a bit slower than when the car is in d. But I sort of follow where d4 springer is coming from and actually d will change the car up a gear while it is still in its power band whereas ds holds the revs a bit longer and the torque drops off. Im going to have to have another play when im out next. But it probably is just a placebo and maybe we are expecting more from it, who knows.

By the way mines s drive so its faster anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:
I'm not too sure to be honest d4springer??? I'm a beginner when it comes to this really so maybe it's just me
Maybe you've started something here, BMW's up and down the country on the commute home will be randomly flooring it to try out different modes!
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
matk
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you've started something here, BMW's up and down the country on the commute home will be randomly flooring it to try out different modes!
Yes I hope we all have gap insurance
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sorry,
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Riding the torque of the diesel will often feel faster, in a higher gear, even if it isn't. We can't see torque in isolation from rpm and peak horsepower.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #21
MWA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Just tried it, you are right, but, it's got to do wth what @d4springer mentioned
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWA View Post
Just tried it, you are right, but, it's got to do wth what @d4springer mentioned
Is the 'box hanging on to gears, too close to the red line in 'DS' mode? But changing up, say 500 rpm (or more) down the rev band, in the toggled sport mode?

That will fit with diesel engine characteristics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0