F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > re: transferring music from car to usb stick?
ARMA SPEED

11-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
3bimmerdoc
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Coupe M Sport

re: transferring music from car to usb stick?

I apologize if this is an obvious one... or if it has been answered before!
Can I get my music that I have on my 2011 335i hard drive? Like transfer it onto a USB stick? I lost all the discs that the songs are on, and don't want to lose all those songs!

Thanks!
      11-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

if you have an iphone, it comes with a voice recorder. You could play all the songs in your car and record them with the voice recorder
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bimmerdoc View Post
I apologize if this is an obvious one... or if it has been answered before!
Can I get my music that I have on my 2011 335i hard drive? Like transfer it onto a USB stick? I lost all the discs that the songs are on, and don't want to lose all those songs!

Thanks!
Yes, there is an export function.

Bring up the music album and press Option. Export to USB (or something like that) should be available.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Yes, there is an export function.

Bring up the music album and press Option. Export to USB (or something like that) should be available.
I'm going from memory and it was a year or so ago, but I think the exported data is encrypted in some way - i.e. it's not just a copy of all of your MP3 files. I was looking for an easy way of changing a few tracks on the hard drive and thought that exporting it, editing the data and then importing it again would work. Annoyingly, it wasn't that easy due to the format of the exported data.

For this reason (and other limitations of the way iDrive handles music on the hard drive) I gave up with it and now use a USB stick instead. Much simpler to update, and I also get album art which you don't get with your music on the hard drive.

I ought to say, my car is an August 2012 build, so later units may be different.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
I'm going from memory and it was a year or so ago, but I think the exported data is encrypted in some way - i.e. it's not just a copy of all of your MP3 files. I was looking for an easy way of changing a few tracks on the hard drive and thought that exporting it, editing the data and then importing it again would work. Annoyingly, it wasn't that easy due to the format of the exported data.

For this reason (and other limitations of the way iDrive handles music on the hard drive) I gave up with it and now use a USB stick instead. Much simpler to update, and I also get album art which you don't get with your music on the hard drive.

I ought to say, my car is an August 2012 build, so later units may be different.
Wow, I just tried this (for the first time) and you are right! It copies the music to the USB stick, but renames my .mp3's to .BR4. If I just rename them back to .mp3, they aren't MP3's anymore.

What I do is keep my albums individually on the computer and if I want to make a change to one in the car, I just change it on the computer, remove it from the car (you can delete a whole album all at once) and just re-import it.

Efficient? no; but it does work.
Appreciate 0