F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Front tyres starting to delaminate!
GetBMWParts

09-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
That's the perfect way to scrub the insides of the tyre (like you've done), and also to mess up the suspension setup. Especially if the speedbumps have got damage on the shoulders.

You should drive over them one wheel completely on, one wheel on the flat, where possible.
I very much doubt it would have any affect whatsoever considering the distance driven over them would account for less than 0.001% of the distance the tyres have travelled.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #24
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I very much doubt it would have any affect whatsoever considering the distance driven over them would account for less than 0.001% of the distance the tyres have travelled.

You might just go and do a really full-on, wheelspin start once a month. But that few seconds and 100-200 yards would cause as much wear as driving thousands of miles on the motorway at a steady speed.

Here's advice from 'Honestjohn' in the Telegraph on the subject (also on a BMW) from 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...to-shreds.html

But hell, it's a tiny fraction of the mileage you cover, and you know better.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
You might just go and do a really full-on, wheelspin start once a month. But that few seconds and 100-200 yards would cause as much wear as driving thousands of miles on the motorway at a steady speed.

Here's advice from 'Honestjohn' in the Telegraph on the subject (also on a BMW) from 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...to-shreds.html

But hell, it's a tiny fraction of the mileage you cover, and you know better.
Ok there’s no need to get your knickers in a twist just because I don’t agree with your opinion! I have always driven the same way over speed humps on this and every other car I’ve owned and I’ve never had even the slightest strange inner tyre wear before, so why would it suddenly start affecting it now?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
Ok there’s no need to get your knickers in a twist just because I don’t agree with your opinion! I have always driven the same way over speed humps on this and every other car I’ve owned and I’ve never had even the slightest strange inner tyre wear before, so why would it suddenly start affecting it now?
It's due to the 'unique ' roads in Norfolk.
The roads in Norfolk are shit tbh, but then they always have been.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
The roads in Norfolk are shit tbh, but then they always have been.
No, no I don't mean the bumps and potholes.
Let me guess, something to do with sheep?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 05:10 AM   #28
Alscoob
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Maybe a trip to Autoleys in Kings Lynn speak to Ian, they did my geometry week or so ago & its far better to drive now. BMW did it last time when I had a new rack fitted, supposed to have been 4 wheel alignment...Not!

Ian set it up and checked what it was all doing, low & behold - N/s rear 2.5deg neg camber O/S rear 1.25 neg camber was the worst bit front was out as well.

01553 766611 if it helps
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 05:28 AM   #29
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Question about wheel alignment chaps, especially HighlandPete am I fine to get the wheel alignment done with these tyres on or is it best to wait for the new tyres as they may sit on the ground a bit differently?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Question about wheel alignment chaps, especially HighlandPete am I fine to get the wheel alignment done with these tyres on or is it best to wait for the new tyres as they may sit on the ground a bit differently?
Entirely up to you. There is no physical change to the geometry with the same rims.

BTW, I downloaded your tyre pics to enlarge for better examination. Strange wear, noted the cracking in the tread grooves as well. Almost a contradiction, appears like a mixture of aging, with localised heat. Will be interesting to know the alignment figures.

Make sure they check for any premature wear, particularly track rod ball joints. Static geo may be fine, but any slack will change the toe, xDrive pushing the dynamic setting/limits under load.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #31
Buster Blue
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F30 EB11 320i MSport

Quote:
Definitely only 3.5 years old, so it is strange that there?s cracks in the rubber. Could it be anything to do with them being stored in my garage loft for 1.5 years?
Re the cracks inside the tread had the very same problem with my Vredestein tyres after 18 months and 15000 miles, they took them back, tested and found fault in the rubber and refunded me £145 for the 2 that were returned minus the use I had had.

Fitted Goodyear asymmetric 3 quieter but bumper.

Last edited by Buster Blue; 09-25-2017 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #32
SteRaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 330D XD Shadow

Had very similar wear on the fronts I've just replaced on my E-class before I return it. I do straddle speed bumps and there are loads around me, but slightly sceptical that would cause it as rears are fine. MOT has reported 'Slight Play' in the front bearings so got a feeling it may be related to a combination of that and some misalignment.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #33
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Entirely up to you. There is no physical change to the geometry with the same rims.

BTW, I downloaded your tyre pics to enlarge for better examination. Strange wear, noted the cracking in the tread grooves as well. Almost a contradiction, appears like a mixture of aging, with localised heat. Will be interesting to know the alignment figures.

Make sure they check for any premature wear, particularly track rod ball joints. Static geo may be fine, but any slack will change the toe, xDrive pushing the dynamic setting/limits under load.
Ok, local place with a Hunter machine can?t do it until Friday anyway, so the new tyres will be fitted before then anyway hopefully.

I think you?re right it?s a combination of premature aging on tyres and a slight alignment issue, will let you know on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #34
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Another thing I just thought of HighlandPete do wheel spacers affect getting the wheel alignment checked?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Another thing I just thought of HighlandPete do wheel spacers affect getting the wheel alignment checked?
By coincidence I've just posted a comment on the spacers thread.

Quote:
....Spacers on the rear BMW multi-link change the spring rate, gets softer as you increase the spacer width. All subtle, but translates to more suspension travel, lower ride height and more negative camber with BMW's multi-link rear suspension.
It is subtle, but there all the same. So if you want a particular calibration, (say at mid tolerance), with spacers fitted, have them on the car for the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #36
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
By coincidence I've just posted a comment on the spacers thread.

Quote:
....Spacers on the rear BMW multi-link change the spring rate, gets softer as you increase the spacer width. All subtle, but translates to more suspension travel, lower ride height and more negative camber with BMW's multi-link rear suspension.
It is subtle, but there all the same. So if you want a particular calibration, (say at mid tolerance), with spacers fitted, have them on the car for the alignment.
Great thanks Pete!
Appreciate 0