F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New car breaks - dealership takes it for a joyride
GetBMWParts

05-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #45
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by too much View Post
A lot of good advice, Thanks ! At the end even if I posted under frustration, it was all worth.

I agree that this will be an exercise in reason-ability, eventually ...
Glad to hear you have calmed down. Its only 30 miles. I couldnt even tell you how many miles have been on any of my cars at delivery and I couldnt really care any less. These things arent fragile. I hope its all good from here.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #46
st3v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Why would they joyride a 435i? 3 and 4 series are so common, nothing special about them. It's not an M3/M4, so I don't see why they would joyride it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #47
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
I got myself last week a new 435GC from a dealership that I will not mention yet.

I drove the car for 30 kms and I got a limp mode service light (I am "familiar" with it as I moved from another 335 that I had for 4.5 years and maintained by myself). I didn't even manage to drive my new car home, as I was near the (same) dealership when it happened so I took the car in.

They told me it was a wastegate issue and they need to keep the car to diagnose it. That was on Friday, they kept the car over the weekend, and Tuesday they called me saying they performed a software update (that is already arguable on a new car) hoping it will address the issue and I can pick up the car. Despite the fact that it seems they have no idea and I will probably have to take the car back for an actual fix, when I arrived at the dealership I noticed lots of break dust on the improperly washed front rims. I checked the mileage and it had 46 kms on top of the 30 I put on it. Basically they drove the car more that I did.

The service manager told me that was their normal procedure to take the engine through its cycles. Seriously ????

Honestly that sounds like a bag of ****, and considering the brake dust, they had some fun with the car. I refused to pick up the car, as at the end I paid for a new car experience, that I failed to receive, with no fault of mine. Their joyride just added insult to injury.

Did anybody had a similar experience (car failing on the first day of ownership), but I'm mainly concerned about the joy ride. I owned new cars before, I also had two BMW's, but never experienced anything like this.

I feel that I should be compensated, and I would appreciate similar experiences and advice. I'm considering seeking legal help.
I cannot state if anything was wrong or not. However, I can state that i get crazy brake dust from just driving normally, no joy rides. Perhaps they did take it out, but to test and etc. Perhaps they did not abuse the brakes or drive the car hard.
Do let us know how this thing progresses.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #48
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
Just moral and ethical, and they'll do it. Instead of pulling up the service bay, you pull up to the sales bay, and you tell them that you're not keeping a defective car. It truly is that simple. No need to raise voices, havoc, or anything.
This is a bit more different than buying a blender. Typically if your blender is defective under the warranty period, they just give you a new one since it's cheaper to do that than to spend the time to try to troubleshoot and fix it.

Moral and ethical have nothing to do with it unfortunately, a business will not do something that will lose them a ton of money unless they are legally required to do so.

Examples of this: GM with their ignition switch deaths and Toyota with their unintended acceleration deaths.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #49
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
This is a bit more different than buying a blender. Typically if your blender is defective under the warranty period, they just give you a new one since it's cheaper to do that than to spend the time to try to troubleshoot and fix it.

Moral and ethical have nothing to do with it unfortunately, a business will not do something that will lose them a ton of money unless they are legally required to do so.

Examples of this: GM with their ignition switch deaths and Toyota with their unintended acceleration deaths.
True...and nothing happened here.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #50
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
The computer said it was getting 8 mpg so I know they were driving it hard.
If it was so new then a lot of time in traffic could have impacted this too.

I recently got into my car and the distance to empty had dropped 20 mile since i turned off the car (literally had not driven at all between i looked at that measurement). I think it was because i was stuck in traffic for 15 minutes before ending my last trip.

In isolation after service i might have thought it was a hard / long test drive but it wasnt. Just an artifact of how the computer works.

Unless there is damage or a video you will never know from just the odometer or trip computer.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #51
Babo335
Officer
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 Xdrive

I went thru a similar situation. After having the car for about 6 days and about 250 miles, I got the limp mode and took the car back to dealer. They told me it was HPFP and it was going to take about two weeks to get part from Germany as it was not available in the US. I felt the pain and frustration that you might be experiencing now. They actually paid for my first payment for keeping the car for about two weeks at the dealer which I thought it was a fair compensation.As for the miles that they put on your car while at the dealer, as many others mentioned that's normal.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #52
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

A local Lexus dealership put about 35 miles on my IS350 when I brought it in for service for roof rattles.. My car was lowered and they managed to scrape my front bumper a number of times (I know because I looked at it everyday after driving). I mentioned it to them when I picked the car up and they offered a free detail and touch-up the bumper.

Unless you can find some physical damage, I think you're out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #53
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
The test here is one of reasonability.

You won't find an American jury (or judge) to side with you because you're not being reasonable.

The fact that the dealer put extra miles on the clock to ensure your satisfaction is reasonable.

But, here is my take.

1. The dealer has no clue what to do.
2. The dealer gave your car to a mechanic to take home.

I think there is a difference between putting miles on the clock due to servicing and putting miles on the clock by just loaning your car out to a tech.

Right now, I would be more concerned about fixing the problem.

My advice:

1. Cooperate and don't bitch about silly things at this point.
2. If the dealer can't fix the problem, then you really can seek relief via the lemon law.
3. In the event you do seek relief under the lemon law, or BMW sits down with you to listen to your case, then that's the perfect time to say how you were denied the owner experience of putting the early miles on the clock.
4. If you try to seek recompense at this point for the loss off those early miles, you are just stealing your thunder when/if this becomes a serious issue.
5. BMW won't let this become lemon. They will do the right thing. Unless, you are an ahole that can never be pleased. You don't want to go to battle with the most reputable company in the world.
6. Document everything and make your case.
7. Right now, you don't have a case and you sound like a pita.
8. You will come out on top if you cooperate.
Wow. Youre just as paranoid as OP. How can you possibly conclude that a mechanic took the car home? I bet that NEVER happens. You know we are talking about approximately 30 miles here right?What is ther to come out on top of? I really don't get this thread.
Because, any dealer that wasted 30 minutes driving the car would have done so because he was fixing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #54
too much
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xi GC

Just a brief update.

I got the car back. We apologized to each other - discussion tone for me and lack of info on the procedure for the service. BMW financial made a good will gesture and will refund a monthly payment for my inconvenience. The car seems to be running OK (did not really have the time to take through cycles), hopefully there will be no unexpected technical issues moving forward (cross fingers).

Nonetheless, it seems that the car has bad karma, or whatever I picked up the car from the dealership, drove it home (did not lost sight of car in the process), and as I parked on my driveway, I noticed a small dent on the door (above the door line - making me think probably not from a door bump). Went back to the dealership, took some pictures, hopefully the dealership will fix it. I guess it just wasn't meant for me to have a "brand new, unscathed" car this time.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #55
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Just a brief update.

I got the car back. We apologized to each other - discussion tone for me and lack of info on the procedure for the service. BMW financial made a good will gesture and will refund a monthly payment for my inconvenience. The car seems to be running OK (did not really have the time to take through cycles), hopefully there will be no unexpected technical issues moving forward (cross fingers).

Nonetheless, it seems that the car has bad karma, or whatever I picked up the car from the dealership, drove it home (did not lost sight of car in the process), and as I parked on my driveway, I noticed a small dent on the door (above the door line - making me think probably not from a door bump). Went back to the dealership, took some pictures, hopefully the dealership will fix it. I guess it just wasn't meant for me to have a "brand new, unscathed" car this time.
Glad it was resolved in a mutually agreeable manner.

Sorry about the door ding, there's worse things in life and certainly worse things to happen to a new car so at least that's an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #56
desolatax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 328d xdrive

Should've put a dash cam in right when you picked it up. If you had proof that they were abusing the car, then you may have more of a case, but even then that amount of mileage seems around normal for road testing after a limp mode issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #57
too much
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Sorry about the door ding, there's worse things in life and certainly worse things to happen to a new car so at least that's an easy fix.
It will definitely smooth the perceptual transition from "my new car" to "the car" ...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #58
CS328Ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Just a brief update.

I had a similar experience when I picked up my car. My Idrive knob detached from the base, and I had three dents/metal depressions on the door and trunk. The dents were repaired but some out of my own pocket with local PDR guy. Are your dents below the door handles? Within the middle-third of the concave door? There's some adhesive between the door and a support bar that makes it difficult for the PDR guy to repair.

I can relate to your frustration, as you spend a lot of your hard earned money and get something less than what you expected. Not to mention the headache of dealing with BMW financial Canada and the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #59
too much
Private
Canada
Rep

I got a lot of great feedback on this thread. Nonetheless I was a bit underwhelmed by the the fact that some people seem to find acceptable when the brand fails to deliver.

IMO no favor has been made to any of us when we bought our cars. We paid for it with the opportunity of spending that amount of money on something else (vacation, fun, family, home, hobbies, or another brand vehicle), and we paid a lot for the brand promise. So I feel that we should get what we paid for, and the new car experience should be part of that promise.

In my personal experience over years, I've failed to be impressed by the level of technical services or customer care provided by large dealerships, BMW or other similarly positioned brands. I had way better experience with small dealerships or indie shops (if you have a bi-turbo engine in Toronto, you know where you should go - if you're in the know ). If I wanted concierge services I would go to a hotel and if I want an espresso I'll go to a cafe . From a garage I only want the confidence that my car will be competently serviced and I will not be overcharged or hustled (how many times have we heard the story "we recommend and alignment" or a "whatever fluid flush", or "software update"when there is no actual need to do that).

BTW, the car looks and drives nice, as expected for the price paid Still there are a few things that should have been better - based on similarity positioned competitive offer.

At the end it's about being a victim or not, and accepting or doing something about it ...
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #60
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

My father was in car services for many years. He would often drive customer cars home for the night to make sure the issues where fixed. His commute would be about 65km round trip. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

The next thread will be how someone had a problem and the dealership didn't bother to test drive to see if it was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 10:25 AM   #61
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
I got a lot of great feedback on this thread. Nonetheless I was a bit underwhelmed by the the fact that some people seem to find acceptable when the brand fails to deliver.

IMO no favor has been made to any of us when we bought our cars. We paid for it with the opportunity of spending that amount of money on something else (vacation, fun, family, home, hobbies, or another brand vehicle), and we paid a lot for the brand promise. So I feel that we should get what we paid for, and the new car experience should be part of that promise.

In my personal experience over years, I've failed to be impressed by the level of technical services or customer care provided by large dealerships, BMW or other similarly positioned brands. I had way better experience with small dealerships or indie shops (if you have a bi-turbo engine in Toronto, you know where you should go - if you're in the know ). If I wanted concierge services I would go to a hotel and if I want an espresso I'll go to a cafe . From a garage I only want the confidence that my car will be competently serviced and I will not be overcharged or hustled (how many times have we heard the story "we recommend and alignment" or a "whatever fluid flush", or "software update"when there is no actual need to do that).

BTW, the car looks and drives nice, as expected for the price paid Still there are a few things that should have been better - based on similarity positioned competitive offer.

At the end it's about being a victim or not, and accepting or doing something about it ...
I love it when posters are disappointed (or underwhelmed) when people don't agree with their post. This is the last forum you should go to if you are looking for blanket agreement. We all have different perspectives, experiences, and expectations. One persons big deal is another persons so what. I think we understand that this is a big deal to you. It sort of ruined your experience and that's really unfortunate (no, not sarcasm).

But, you are arguing that that brand failed to deliver but offer no conclusive case that they, in fact, failed. They are guilty of thoroughly testing your car to ensure that the problem does not reoccur. If they had given it back without testing and the problem reoccurred, you would have been pissed that they didn't test it properly. That said, the dealer should know that brand new cars are important to the buyer and those first few miles are special. The SA could have called you and told you what they intend to do and managed your expectations. But they didn't. Oh well.

I'm truly sorry you are upset, but being underwhelmed by posters that don't jump on your bandwagon is not going to help.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #62
///MZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - Austin Yellow

Quote:
The bad part is that there is no real lemon law in Ontario.
There is, BMW just doesn't participate in the program. They're one of a handful of manufacturers who don't.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #63
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

As they say, shi& happens. Long story short is you had a little problem (unfortunately at delivery) but car was fixed and you still had less than 100 miles on it. While disappointing, I really don't see what the problem is. If it fails on you again they will fix it. Pretty simple. If you have been underwhelmed by all of your big dealer experiences i think you need to re-evaluate your expectations or buy from a small no name store . I'm guessing that wouldnt make you happy either. You are sounding like a victim. Cheer up. You have a great car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #64
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I had almost an oppsite experience with my E46. Back when it was under warranty I would occasionally get a loud thump when braking to a stop. The dealer could never reproduce. When I was getting close to the end of the warranty I took it back 3-4 times, each time practically begging them to give the car to a tech or a service advisor to keep and drive around as their personal vehicle for however long it took to hear the problem.

They always refused and insisted that they could only do test drives, not take customer cars home. I expect it was for liability reasons, and suspect most good dealers probably have similar policies in place. In any case I agree with everybody else that 30 miles is no biggie for his particular situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #65
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Why Lemon Law is even mentioned in this thread?

Really?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #66
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

im with everyone on this.........30 miles is nothing. its not even worth arguing about. you can call BMWFS and they'll just laugh in your face.

let it go, lock up this thread, go put more miles on your car