F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > What day do BMW Production Weeks begin?
ARMA SPEED

10-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

What day do BMW Production Weeks begin?

Forgive me for the somewhat esoteric question, but I just realized that even though I'm scheduled for "week 45" production, I don't exactly know when week 45 begins and ends.

For example, do BMW production weeks (PW) begin on a Sunday, Monday, or something else? Is BMW producing 7 days a week in Munich?

Similarly, also curious whether BMW starts its week numbering according to the ISO-8601 standard, which states that "Week 1" is the week containing the first Thursday of the year. For 2012, that would indicate that week 1 ran from 12/31/2011 to 1/6/2012, and consequently that week 45 begins next Monday, November 5th [edit - was 4th].

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by EnerJi; 10-30-2012 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

I'm fairly certain it's a 5 day a week production cycle in Munich. So I suppose day "1" is Monday.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

PW45 begins Nov 5th.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

What production status is your car as of today?

My car is PW45 and system claims it will be completed 11/7.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
PW45 begins Nov 5th.
Surely that's week 47?
      10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
PW45 begins Nov 5th.
That's what I'm assuming and what seems to be conventional wisdom online, but I'm just wondering how we all came to this conclusion?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
What production status is your car as of today?

My car is PW45 and system claims it will be completed 11/7.

Where do you see that, on a vehicle inquiry report (VIR) or on bmwusa.com?

As of Friday, my status was 112, but that was also the day the order was submitted. I don't have a more recent VIR, but on bmwusa.com the wrong color/drivetrain is listed, and the status is "order documented."

EDIT:
I called the 1-800-831-1117 number for kicks, and it says my vehicle is in production, with an estimated completion date of November 8th! As of two days ago the phone line definitely had a different message. Odd that the website doesn't even accurately reflect my BMW order as of yet.

Last edited by EnerJi; 10-30-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
Where do you see that, on a vehicle inquiry report (VIR) or on bmwusa.com?

As of Friday, my status was 112, but that was also the day the order was submitted. I don't have a more recent VIR, but on bmwusa.com the wrong color/drivetrain is listed, and the status is "order documented."

EDIT:
I called the 1-800-831-1117 number for kicks, and it says my vehicle is in production, with an estimated completion date of November 8th! As of two days ago the phone line definitely had a different message. Odd that the website doesn't even accurately reflect my BMW order as of yet.
800# is more accurate than BMW website. Website lags behind a few days. In Production means status 150 and if the production is expected to be completed on 11/8 your car will likely enter the bodyshop on Tuesday. Call dealer later this week or Monday and see if it has an "in production" date. There is a specific "in production" date field that the dealer system shows.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
That's what I'm assuming and what seems to be conventional wisdom online, but I'm just wondering how we all came to this conclusion?
Because it's conventional wisdom + confirmed by my dealer. And Sunday Nov 4th is the 45th week of the year. And the factory doesn't build on Sundays, so the obvious conclusion is that PW45 starts on Monday Nov 5th. There is no other conclusion that can be drawn.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

Mine is also scheduled for PW45, but the 1800# still plays the same dreadful message "Your vehicle is scheduled for production with no confirmed production date yet". My CA had told me it should get bumped up a week since they they made it a Priority-1 order which means it should have started production by now.
All you guys with PW45 build "in production" as of today, are you a Germany or SA build?
      10-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.L View Post
Mine is also scheduled for PW45, but the 1800# still plays the same dreadful message "Your vehicle is scheduled for production with no confirmed production date yet". My CA had told me it should get bumped up a week since they they made it a Priority-1 order which means it should have started production by now.
All you guys with PW45 build "in production" as of today, are you a Germany or SA build?
If 800# says scheduled.... then its likely still in 112. Not to worry, you may hit 150 in the next day or two.

Mine is Germany.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If 800# says scheduled.... then its likely still in 112. Not to worry, you may hit 150 in the next day or two.

Mine is Germany.
*Fingers crossed*

Mine is Germany as well.
      10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine's a Germany build. I'm not sure if it's actually in production though, as I doubt it takes 7 days to build one car, does it? I almost hope it doesn't start production until next week, just in case BMW pulls a switch on us and includes the new navigation system after all.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Because it's conventional wisdom + confirmed by my dealer. And Sunday Nov 4th is the 45th week of the year. And the factory doesn't build on Sundays, so the obvious conclusion is that PW45 starts on Monday Nov 5th. There is no other conclusion that can be drawn.
I would imagine the dealer should know, assuming they are knowledgeable, so thank you for that.

As for "no other conclusion which can be drawn," see my OP and the Wikipedia article link. There are actually many differing methodologies for choosing "when" the first week of a year begins, which creates some uncertainty as we don't know what methodology BMW uses.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine's a Germany build. I'm not sure if it's actually in production though, as I doubt it takes 7 days to build one car, does it? I almost hope it doesn't start production until next week, just in case BMW pulls a switch on us and includes the new navigation system after all.
But doesn't the 1800# state your current status as "in production"?

Not sure how long it actually takes to produce a car, but I'd guess at least 7 days.

After reading all the latest forum posts, rumors, and confirming with my CA as well as by another CA at another dealership I would not be looking forward for the updated navi to be included in the MY2013 US spec cars.
      10-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But doesn't the 1800# state your current status as "in production"?

Not sure how long it actually takes to produce a car, but I'd guess at least 7 days.

After reading all the latest forum posts, rumors, and confirming with my CA as well as by another CA at another dealership I would not be looking forward for the updated navi to be included in the MY2013 US spec cars.
I agree on the navigation, it's not likely.

As for whether my car is in production or not, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. The web site still says I'm getting a white X-drive, while I actually ordered an EBII rear-drive. When I ordered, my dealer said he had a PW46 allocation. However, when I received my VIR (right after ordering), it said I was scheduled for PW45. If it's really in production this week, it would (apparently) be PW44, which is odd to me (although I won't be complaining if I somehow get my car before the holidays!)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From the time the car begins actual assembly, it takes 2 days or so. Status changes to 150 as they are putting together order for parts, etc. to begin production. Actual production date is based on when the dealer system shows "in production". A date will be specified. That date will denote production date in door decal (so I'm told).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
mark.L
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree on the navigation, it's not likely.

As for whether my car is in production or not, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. The web site still says I'm getting a white X-drive, while I actually ordered an EBII rear-drive. When I ordered, my dealer said he had a PW46 allocation. However, when I received my VIR (right after ordering), it said I was scheduled for PW45. If it's really in production this week, it would (apparently) be PW44, which is odd to me (although I won't be complaining if I somehow get my car before the holidays!)
I was told by the CA, once the car is sold and updated to Priority-1(customer sold) the production gets pre-poned by a week or sometimes two. So your car being in production in PW44 instead of PW45/46 is normal. If I were you, I'd be .
      10-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From the time the car begins actual assembly, it takes 2 days or so. Status changes to 150 as they are putting together order for parts, etc. to begin production. Actual production date is based on when the dealer system shows "in production". A date will be specified. That date will denote production date in door decal (so I'm told).
Interesting, I'll have to check the decal after I pick up my car. On my current car, I believe it only specified the month, not the exact day it was "born."

Sounds like I'm in 150 status though, which is one step closer to getting my new ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I'll have to check the decal after I pick up my car. On my current car, I believe it only specified the month, not the exact day it was "born."

Sounds like I'm in 150 status though, which is one step closer to getting my new ride!
Production date is month/year only.

Let the joy begin of waiting for delivery. Its half the fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was told by the CA, once the car is sold and updated to Priority-1(customer sold) the production gets pre-poned by a week or sometimes two. So your car being in production in PW44 instead of PW45/46 is normal. If I were you, I'd be .
I am! One step closer!

It's making me slightly nervous, however, not knowing if I'm going to beat the holidays or not. If it's going to be January that's fine, I just want my expectations set.

At the current pace, if my car finishes production Nov 8th, it might(?) make a ship leaving November 14th, arriving December 3rd. (There's also a ship leaving November 11th but I imagine that's highly unlikely.) It then needs to clear customs, go through VPC, etc. and then be shipped to the Performance Center (I'm doing PCD.) They need a couple of days there to ensure everything is perfect plus a few buffer days to allow for any issues before my appointment.

If everything goes absolutely perfectly I "might" be able to squeeze in right before the holidays, but my guess is it will be January. I just wish I knew for sure!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Production date is month/year only.

Let the joy begin of waiting for delivery. Its half the fun.
Much like the anticipation of really good sex.
Appreciate 0