F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HUD (Head-Up Display): should I get it?
GetBMWParts

11-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

HUD (Head-Up Display): should I get it?

My F30 is being built week 49, but I'm hoping I can still amend the spec; being a tech guy and into my gadgets, I'm wondering if I should have spec'd the head-up display?! Originally I passed on it to keep the cost down, but I don't know if I'll regret it?

Could anyone who has it please confirm that it displays the below, as well as anything else:

-Nav directions inc lane guidance
-Current speed
-Scroll through songs on USB audio interface
-Scroll through radio stations
-Scroll through phone book
-Incoming phone call
-check control messages

Obviously it doesn't work with polarising sunglasses, but in the UK this is much less of a problem, unfortunately!

If I'm trying to keep costs down because I've already overspent on spec: is it really that much of a deal, or should I be getting it?

I like my gadgets, and it seems very cool to have; but my current thinking is that I don't use nav that much anyway (surely its #1 benefit), and the phone book/radio/songs can now be scrolled through in the instrument cluster (rather than idrive) now anyway?

Any thoughts appreciated thanks.

Last edited by MarkW83; 11-25-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

It's a no-brainer to order the HUD. In the US, it is included with Nav. I think it is terrific!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
It's a no-brainer to order the HUD. In the US, it is included with Nav. I think it is terrific!
Thanks Sam. In the UK it's a standalone option, and is £800 (approx $1300)...
      11-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Thanks Sam. In the UK it's a standalone option, and is £800 (approx $1300)...
That is a bit pricey, but I assume our "Technology Package" that includes Nav/HUD etc, is increased in price proportionally to account for it.

The best determining factor will be to take a test drive with a car that has it. And do some guidance. The guidance via HUD is so terrific, I have a hard time going back to looking at a normal screen. I think it's much safter too. Less time diverting your attention back and forth to the screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That is a bit pricey, but I assume our "Technology Package" that includes Nav/HUD etc, is increased in price proportionally to account for it.

The best determining factor will be to take a test drive with a car that has it. And do some guidance. The guidance via HUD is so terrific, I have a hard time going back to looking at a normal screen. I think it's much safter too. Less time diverting your attention back and forth to the screen.
Unfortunately I couldn't try the HUD as my dealer didn't have any cars with it, not even any 5s or 7s! It's a more difficult decision for me than eg HK (which I also ordered blind, but I'll use during every drive); as the HUD is just duplicating information that's already there (even in the instrument cluster for the radio/song selection, and nav arrow directions), and also I actually don't use nav much - probably once a week at the very most.

Hmm, just not sure if its worth the £800 for my usage...
      11-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Cadi335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport

HUD is a no brainer.

-Nav directions inc lane guidance
-Current speed - YES
-Scroll through songs on USB audio interface - YES
-Scroll through radio stations - YES
-Scroll through phone book - I believe you can (I know at least the numbers you dialed...)
-Incoming phone call - YES
-check control messages - YES

The best part would be to have with the navigation. IMO, having turn-by turn directions on the HUD makes the best out of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Although it is only changing the place where you see the information, it brings a whole different experience IMO. Looking at the speed, song information, CC info etc. on the windshield fells like you are in more luxurious and sportier car.

But as you said it doesn`t give any new information to you, you would pay for it to enjoy the car more. If you are trying to keep cost low, it is one of the first to leave out.

I keep HUD on all the time. I enjoy it but probably I wouldn`t have paid for it if it didn`t come with Nav.
      11-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

I love my HUD and ordered mine blind based upon what the brochure said. At £800 I thought it was a bit of a pricey option for what I just thought would be the speed being displayed but it is so much more.

I thought I wouldn't be using my nav more than a couple of times a week but I use it every day I go out to where I'm going and every time when I'm coming home. The route has been known to change based upon carnage on the motorway and the nav has guided me round it.

I love my HUD and at £800 I think it still remains one of the better options to add. It does integrate with the nav and will display which lane to be in, which roundabout exit to take and the countdown to the junction etc.

This is definitely one option I will be adding for my next car too
      11-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, you're talking me into it! It's good that it also displays the lanes to get into in the motorway, as opposed to just eg an arrow.

Also I guess there may be a fix at some point for the polarised sunglasses issue, e.g. Film over the projector etc.?

If I add it, I'll just be adding one more thing, which will be either:
-M Sport brakes (my 135i had big brakes, and I'm not sure ill be happy with the standard 330d brakes, or are the standard brakes actually good?) (£515 I think)
-HUD (£800)
-Surround view/rear view cameras (also £800)

Any advice appreciated
      11-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

The film over the projector didn't work for me. I think issue is that the reflection/glare is from the windshield to the eye, adding the film between the display and the windshield doesn't help.

I just got a pair of non-polarized (prescription) glasses.

The only problem with the HUD is that you will miss it when you drive any other car without it.

I use the HUD constantly and can't believe how useful and cool it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
The film over the projector didn't work for me. I think issue is that the reflection/glare is from the windshield to the eye, adding the film between the display and the windshield doesn't help.

I just got a pair of non-polarized (prescription) glasses.

The only problem with the HUD is that you will miss it when you drive any other car without it.

I use the HUD constantly and can't believe how useful and cool it is.
+1, I can't drive a car without a HUD now. It's also a really cool feature to show people.

My non-polarized sunglasses are coming next week, lol. It sux that I had to buy a pair just for driving my car though.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have some Oakleys at present, which are Polarised, but also have the special lens that is sort of contrast-enhancing and improves the colours etc. of things you see. Does anyone know if I'd be able to get the same glasses with the same contrast-enhancing features, but just lacking the polarising feature?
      11-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys, you're talking me into it! It's good that it also displays the lanes to get into in the motorway, as opposed to just eg an arrow.

Also I guess there may be a fix at some point for the polarised sunglasses issue, e.g. Film over the projector etc.?

If I add it, I'll just be adding one more thing, which will be either:
-M Sport brakes (my 135i had big brakes, and I'm not sure ill be happy with the standard 330d brakes, or are the standard brakes actually good?) (£515 I think)
-HUD (£800)
-Surround view/rear view cameras (also £800)

Any advice appreciated
That's a tough choice. I think the HUD displays a lot more useful information than the actual nav screen (i.e. street name you're turning onto and distance).

I think both breaks are good, but the tires are more important in terms of grip. The standard All season tires are not very grippy.

Could you just add on the rear view camera? It's pretty much the only one you need.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
That's a tough choice. I think the HUD displays a lot more useful information than the actual nav screen (i.e. street name you're turning onto and distance).

I think both breaks are good, but the tires are more important in terms of grip. The standard All season tires are not very grippy.

Could you just add on the rear view camera? It's pretty much the only one you need.
Thanks; the distance/street name is displayed in the instrument cluster though, so is still available there if you want it?

Brakes: just read up on them, and it seems the general consensus is that the standard 330d brakes are pretty good, and I wouldn't notice much of a difference in normal driving? I think we get summer tyres in the uk, rather than all seasons...

I'm actually not too bothered about the rear view camera, as the car will have PDC front and rear anyway. The main reason I would want the surround view cameras is for manoeuvring in a tight space, and being able to see the kerb/lines in a car park etc., might be useful...
      11-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks; the distance/street name is displayed in the instrument cluster though, so is still available there if you want it?

Brakes: just read up on them, and it seems the general consensus is that the standard 330d brakes are pretty good, and I wouldn't notice much of a difference in normal driving? I think we get summer tyres in the uk, rather than all seasons...

I'm actually not too bothered about the rear view camera, as the car will have PDC front and rear anyway. The main reason I would want the surround view cameras is for manoeuvring in a tight space, and being able to see the kerb/lines in a car park etc., might be useful...
The distance/street name, strangely enough, is not displayed on the nav screen (unless someone can correct me and explain how to display it). If you've seen the nav screen is actually pretty difficult to read. The HUD really simplifies things and puts the most pertinent information up on the display. The speed is always displayed and is way easier to read than the instrument cluster. I use the HUD to scroll through songs and turn by turn navigation. It's more of a safety device as it does not take your eye off the road which is very useful.

The normal breaks are good in normal driving, actually more comfortable too. The M breaks make every stop an abrupt stop and really don't see any action in normal day to day driving. Make sure about the summer tires as they are great in both rain or shine.

yes, and remember that the PDC will not see the low curbs. If you've seen the cameras in action they are pretty awesome. Pretty much you only need them to see if the front bumper will scrape the curb. I don't have the system on mine, but I wish I did.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
The distance/street name, strangely enough, is not displayed on the nav screen (unless someone can correct me and explain how to display it). If you've seen the nav screen is actually pretty difficult to read. The HUD really simplifies things and puts the most pertinent information up on the display. The speed is always displayed and is way easier to read than the instrument cluster. I use the HUD to scroll through songs and turn by turn navigation. It's more of a safety device as it does not take your eye off the road which is very useful.

The normal breaks are good in normal driving, actually more comfortable too. The M breaks make every stop an abrupt stop and really don't see any action in normal day to day driving. Make sure about the summer tires as they are great in both rain or shine.

yes, and remember that the PDC will not see the low curbs. If you've seen the cameras in action they are pretty awesome. Pretty much you only need them to see if the front bumper will scrape the curb. I don't have the system on mine, but I wish I did.
Thanks for that; distance and street name can be displayed on the idrive screen by selecting arrow-view for the split-screen, and if you don't select it, it should display that in the instrument cluster instead?

Thanks for your advice on the brakes, if the actual stopping distance will be practically the same between the two, I'll pass on them. Rear view camera I agree would be useful, but I think PDC will be enough for me, and has been on previous BMWs.

Definitely leaning towards the HUD: looks like a killer feature, and great that its available on the 3 series now!
      11-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Another quick question: can the HUD display text messages and emails from your iPhone, or do you have to go into iDrive for that?
      11-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Another quick question: can the HUD display text messages and emails from your iPhone, or do you have to go into iDrive for that?
No, the HUD does not show emails or texts.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Kaitain
Private
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue II F30 M Sport

I am currently driving a 520D ///M over here in Germany with HUD. I have REVO polarized sunglasses, and I can still see the HUD while using them. It is a little light on the stock setting, but once I turned the brightness up, I could see it without any issues. So, unless they use different glass and reflection in Germany only, polarized sunglasses with brightness adjustment via the iDrive should work.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I passed on HUD, £800 for the same information in a slightly more convenient format didn't stack up for me.....I'm driving not dog fighting.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
F30-Sport-2013
2013 328i Sport, Alpine White, w/Premium/Nav. Pkg.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sport Alpine W.

At the beginning, my preferences didn't include the HUD, however my wife suggested me to get the TECH package (Includes NAV/HUD) (3100$ here in US), so finally I choose one at the inventory that had almost exact spec's that I wanted in addition to theTechnology package. I didn't took too much attention on it, until I did a second test drive with this feature, and I realized how wonderful is. I strongly recommend it (if you can afford it). Also as "Kaitain" indicates, I can still see the HUD with my RayBan's polarized sunglasses, however even with the brightness adjusted to a higher contrast, still the HUD info will be in the light side, so I guess that it will be a little tricky to get used to it. I just got a second pair of sunglasses (non polarized) and I keep them in the car, just for driving.

Last edited by F30-Sport-2013; 11-25-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Decepax
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive; Z4; X3

I have had my car for about 1 month and LOVE the HUD! Agree with comments that it is missed when driving another car.

I would add that I also can see in the HUD:
1. The posted speed limit (amazed at how accurate this is)
2. A large red tailgate symbol as part of collision avoidance.
Appreciate 0